• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

Ambitious

progress5es0d.png

Progress bars are hard.

Did you restore to the same disk or a new disk?

The same disk.

Number45

There are 2733 objects in total, so with 2030 of them remaining, the percentage should be 25%.
Hmm. Maybe it's actually being clever and calculating on the time remaining? I know with certain types of drives a large number of small files can take a lot longer to write than a small number of large files.

Either that or it's the good old "a watched pot never boils" idiom. :p

Ambitious

Anyone having issues with Safari being a piece of shit whenever it needs to load a Google page (Gmail, Google, YouTube, etc.)?

I've been searching for the issue, and originally I thought it was a problem with caching and the SSD going to sleep (not being available to load the cached page). I turned off "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" in the Energy Saver settings. That definitely helped with the responsiveness issue, where the loading bar would just hang for up to a minute or two, but now the page is more often than not just instantly timing out. If I click a YouTube link on GAF, for example, it just goes to a "Safari can't load" page almost immediately. If I then click the URL bar and hit Enter a few times, it will eventually load, but it's really frustrating.

I don't have the issue at all in Chrome, but I prefer using Safari due to its native integration and better support of certain OS features.

Any ideas? Again, this is 100% exclusive to Google pages as far as I can tell.

I don't think that's related. The bug from the MacRumors article started to occur yesterday, while Zefah reported on his issue two days ago. Besides, I had similar issues when I still used Safari, and I had turned off Safari Suggestions a long time ago.

My issues in particular:
1) Google's search page wouldn't load. The tab just stayed completely blank. Sometimes, it finished loading (according to the address bar), and sometimes, it kept loading forever, but the tab would always stay blank. Closing the tab and trying again in a new one usually fixed it.
However, I cannot remember this happening with any other Google page (e.g. YouTube).

2) Specifically on GAF, when clicking Submit Reply or Preview Post, Safari would display an "Safari can't open the page" message instantly. Strangely enough, this never happened on any other website. When I went back and tried a second time, it always worked.

I don't think that's related. The bug from the MacRumors article started to occur yesterday, while Zefah reported on his issue two days ago. Besides, I had similar issues when I still used Safari, and I had turned off Safari Suggestions a long time ago.

My issues in particular:
1) Google's search page wouldn't load. The tab just stayed completely blank. Sometimes, it finished loading (according to the address bar), and sometimes, it kept loading forever, but the tab would always stay blank. Closing the tab and trying again in a new one usually fixed it.
However, I cannot remember this happening with any other Google page (e.g. YouTube).

2) Specifically on GAF, when clicking Submit Reply or Preview Post, Safari would display an "Safari can't open the page" message instantly. Strangely enough, this never happened on any other website. When I went back and tried a second time, it always worked.

Both of those happen to me from time to time. It's mildly annoying but like you said, the fix is just doing it again and it goes through

Ninja Dom

Guys, does the Rotten Tomatoes website load in Safari for you? It hasn't been loading for me (iMac) or for my girlfriend (MacBook) for about a month. It displays the page for a second before going blank.

Works fine on iOS.

Ambitious

Is Apple Planning to Rename OS X?

First it was Mac OS (referred to as System 1, System 7, etc.), then Mac OS X, then OS X. But a comment from Tim Cook in Apple’s earnings call this week suggests that a name change may be in the works.

As Jason Snell points out in an article on Six Colors:

But there was another little slip that was very interesting to me. It probably means nothing, but when Maestri listed off Apple’s four major product platforms, he said this: “We’ve built a huge installed base around four platforms: iOS, Mac OS, watchOS, and tvOS.”

Officially, that second platform is still “OS X.” But calling it Mac OS instead sure fits better, doesn’t it?

Makes sense to me. I assume it would be called "macOS" to be consistent with the capitalization.

Guys, does the Rotten Tomatoes website load in Safari for you? It hasn't been loading for me (iMac) or for my girlfriend (MacBook) for about a month. It displays the page for a second before going blank.

Works fine on iOS.

Works for me. Have you tried scrolling the blank page? In my experience, sometimes it makes the page reappear.

Ambitious

Preview.app occasionally crashes when I search PDFs for certain keywords. The crashes are not reliably reproducible, though: Sometimes, the same search term will crash the app over and over again, but at other times it works just fine, no matter what I enter (including terms which previously caused it to crash).

Apparently, rebuilding the Spotlight index might potentially fix this. Gonna try it now.

Oh, wanna know when I witnessed this issue for the first time? Last week, I attended an exam in which we were allowed to use our computers (e.g. to browse and search the lecture slides or relevant specifications). I tried to search the lecture slides using Preview.app, but it kept crashing all the time. Time was really short, so needless to say, I was furious.

EmiPrime

Preview.app occasionally crashes when I search PDFs for certain keywords. The crashes are not reliably reproducible, though: Sometimes, the same search term will crash the app over and over again, but at other times it works just fine, no matter what I enter (including terms which previously caused it to crash).

Apparently, rebuilding the Spotlight index might potentially fix this. Gonna try it now.

Oh, wanna know when I witnessed this issue for the first time? Last week, I attended an exam in which we were allowed to use our computers (e.g. to browse and search the lecture slides or relevant specifications). I tried to search the lecture slides using Preview.app, but it kept crashing all the time. Time was really short, so needless to say, I was furious.

Apple's apps (with a few exceptions) on OS X are toilet, you should know that by now! They're for people with very basic needs only or those who won't pay for software.

GWX

Guy, I installed Windows 10 on my Mac mini (late 2012) and I was wondering if I could just update the video drivers via Intel directly, since Boot Camp installs a very old version of the video driver. Am I bound to have problems or should I expect it to go smoothly?

EmiPrime

They didn't use to be. Converging their code and feature sets with iOS is what did a lot of the damage.

I agree. It's no coincidence that the rot started setting in about 5 years ago. It's especially sad what happened to iWork.

Also in the early days of OS X (at least up to and including Tiger) the third party software situation was really bad. There wasn't even a good app for unarchiving (rar, 7zip etc.), Bittorent apps were rubbish and I had to supplement with crap cross platform software written in Java and sometimes using X11 windowing that ran slow and looked horrible. Apple's apps however were mostly great by the standards of their time. Now things are very different, we have the cream of the crop making software for OS X and Apple's apps are terrible by comparison.

kuppy

So I switched to Chrome, Safari crashing and sometimes being just slow on me made it impossible to use any further. Trust me I tried to fix it, again and again.

Surprisingly liking Chrome though, so that's cool. Some questions however.
Appearance wise there isn't a whole lot I can do, is there? Not talking themes, rather a customize toolbar option, switching the positions of the tab bar and the omnibox, getting rid of the favorite star or don't have downloads pop up at the bottom.
Fullscreen videos? Stop it with the 'is now fullscreen' notification. Also can I please use the video pop out full screen mode, like Safari makes only the video full screen as separate desktop, not actually changing the browser window.

I would also appreciate some more general tips that might not be obvious. Thanks.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Not really. Chrome is hard coded in its UI and safari is the only browser on OS X that does fullscreen correctly for how the OS works these days. Firefox shows those damn messages and handles fullscreen the same way too. The tabs can't be moved because they're basically Chromes whole paradigm.

Ambitious

Longquan Zhu, one of the scamming shitheads I included in one of my MAS shit roundups, is also selling an app called OneOffice - Microsoft Office 365 Edition. Just like his other apps, it's literally just a web view displaying Microsoft's Office Online site. The app is $25 and currently the #6 Top Paid app on the (US) MAS.

If you look closely at the screenshots, you can see the user name "Shimin Zhang", which is an alias he uses to spam the MAS with even more shitty apps.

Oh, and here are the super legit reviews:
modify.412266 said:
Almost perfect

This Cloud storage was a good choice for keeping files and photos.I'm all about short and sweet:High convenience and intuitive usage.Best way to receive and send all formats commonly used documents.Improvements on upload speed needed.But i still love this app.This is easily my favorite app on my mac.It is great having portable storage that syncs flawlessly.Great app that lets you view all your Onedrive files and backed up photos in an organized way.Loads folder and files quickly which is important to me .This app has been good to me and my family.I do recommend it.

Hollo8.517 said:
A must have!

Fist off I would like to say that I have been using one drive for quite a while now and I have to say it beats pretty much everything else on the market.I love the amount of storage you get with it for no change at all.The layout is good and works well.It's very easy to find what you need and have uploaded.This app is absolutely amazing,I haven't really experienced any issues with it so far.This is easily my favorite app on my Mac.It is great having portable storage that syncs flawlessly from my computer,and is also available via browser.Important documents are always with me with Onedrive.That's what cloud is all about.Definitely worth the money.This app is truly amazing and so useful and helpful.

hmyreerck3192 said:
Amazing app!!

Great job!This works great on my Mac and is super easy to use,very fast,and has tons of setting options!This app is so fluid and I love that it can back up my photos and videos without having app on my screen.Definitely beats out any other cloud storage apps I have.It's really helpful for storing files and keeping everything in one central place.Great app that lets you view all your OneDrive files and backed up photos in an organized way.Loads folders and files quickly which is important to me.This is a simple yet useful software,The user interface is very minimalistic and I really like this.The function is great, it has all the features I need.Overall I am extremely pleased with this app,I highly recommend everyone to get this for all your cloud storage needs!

If the MAS was an actual physical building, I would suggest pouring gasoline all over it and burning it down to the ground.

nampad

WTF, I can't see certain folders on my external hard drive anymore. I know they are there because if I try to make a new folder named the same way, it says the name already exists.
Tried to use the hardware utility to repair the drive but it didn't help, the repair tool is finished in a second.

The hard drive is formated in NTFS and I am using Paragon NTFS. Any help?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
WTF, I can't see certain folders on my external hard drive anymore. I know they are there because if I try to make a new folder named the same way, it says the name already exists.
Tried to use the hardware utility to repair the drive but it didn't help, the repair tool is finished in a second.

I've had files disappear on networked drives before since a few updates ago. Finder is a piece of shit and even worse. The files are still there. I have to quit the Finder and relaunch it. For fucks sake, 10.12 needs to be 100% Finder related because it's been terrible since 10.0. Bring back OS 9's "one window per folder" paradigm and relegate sidebar related tasks to a single window mode window that only appears when I ask it to.

And let us use custom colors for tags because only having 7 is useless. And let us show more than just 7 favorites in the context menus. Like 2 or 3 rows please. Or a Tag Cloud. It's a pain in the ass to use tags that I just stick to the 7 default colors.

And tabs. So unwieldy to use. They should always be visible and I should be able to drag a window that doesn't have a tab bar onto another to make them into tabbed windows, then drag them apart with no problems. It's stupid as it is now because you have to turn the tab bar on first. Fucking terrible design.

nampad

I've had files disappear on networked drives before since a few updates ago. Finder is a piece of shit and even worse. The files are still there. I have to quit the Finder and relaunch it. For fucks sake, 10.12 needs to be 100% Finder related because it's been terrible since 10.0. Bring back OS 9's "one window per folder" paradigm and relegate sidebar related tasks to a single window mode window that only appears when I ask it to.

And let us use custom colors for tags because only having 7 is useless. And let us show more than just 7 favorites in the context menus. Like 2 or 3 rows please. Or a Tag Cloud. It's a pain in the ass to use tags that I just stick to the 7 default colors.

And tabs. So unwieldy to use. They should always be visible and I should be able to drag a window that doesn't have a tab bar onto another to make them into tabbed windows, then drag them apart with no problems. It's stupid as it is now because you have to turn the tab bar on first. Fucking terrible design.

I tried restarting the Finder and I already restarted my Macbook Pro. I guess this happened after I installed the latest El Capitan update yesterday :/
Still can't find those folders.

mrkgoo

If you're using third party software inbetween the OS and external drive I suggest looking there for solutions. Maybe it's incompatible with El Capitan?

Ambitious

I tried restarting the Finder and I already restarted my Macbook Pro. I guess this happened after I installed the latest El Capitan update yesterday :/

I have no clue why the folders would suddenly be hidden, but you could try checking whether the "hidden" file flag is set. Enter "ls -lOh <path to your HDD>" in Terminal.app. In the lines of the affected folders, does it say "hidden" to the left of the folder size? If so, enter "chflags nohidden" followed by the paths to the hidden folders, e.g. "chflags nohidden <folder1> <folder2> <folder3>".

Exentryk

Anyone know if there is a way to hide that play pause menu when trying to forward through the video using two finger swipe? You could do this prior to either Yosemite or El-Capitan, but now, that menu always shows up. =/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's weird if the OS is literally hiding the files from you. My problem was just visual in that the files were still there but the file view was fucking up and not showing them all.

Fix the fucking Finder, Apple. Please. One update where it's all just a brand new rebuilt Finder is all we ask.

Anyone know if there is a way to hide that play pause menu when trying to forward through the video using two finger swipe? You could do this prior to either Yosemite or El-Capitan, but now, that menu always shows up. =/
Seems not in QTPX.

Old QTPX hidden pref is no longer valid: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-disable-the-rounded-corners-and-more.775514/

However, you can hide it in Fullscreen on the older QuickTime Player 7, which still runs on El Capitan.
QTP7 installer: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201288

FqamAoV.png

Fuchsdh

The day QT7 final breaks will be a sad day. I'm still rocking my QT7Pro client; it's still the fastest way to quickly strip sound files to AIFFs or open legacy videos we have tons of.

Ambitious

Pressing space in QuickTime pauses the video.
Pressing space in VLC pauses the video.
Pressing space in Kodi pauses the video.
Pressing space in Plex pauses the video.
Pressing space in mpv pauses the video.
Pressing space on YouTube pauses the video.
Pressing space in Safari's default video player pauses the video.
Pressing space in Chrome's default video player pauses the video.
Pressing space in every single fucking video player app in the entire world pauses the video.

Pressing space in Photos.app closes the video.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Pressing space in QuickTime pauses the video.
Pressing space in VLC pauses the video.
Pressing space in Kodi pauses the video.
Pressing space in Plex pauses the video.
Pressing space in mpv pauses the video.
Pressing space on YouTube pauses the video.
Pressing space in Safari's default video player pauses the video.
Pressing space in Chrome's default video player pauses the video.
Pressing space in every single fucking video player app in the entire world pauses the video.

Pressing space in Photos.app closes the video.
Pressing Space in non-video apps usually acts as QuickLook. So you're technically viewing and closing a photo or video. Same thing happens in Finder.

If you put the video in Fullscreen however it should become a video player and behave accordingly. At least it does in Finder. I don't keep videos in Photos. Edit: Nope. Photos treats it differently.

Ambitious

Mossberg: Apple’s apps need work
Complexity, feature gaps, and bugs have crept in

Pressing Space in non-video apps usually acts as QuickLook. So you're technically viewing and closing a photo or video. Same thing happens in Finder.

If you put the video in Fullscreen however it should become a video player and behave accordingly. At least it does in Finder. I don't keep videos in Photos. Edit: Nope. Photos treats it differently.

Yes, I know. It's like Quick Look. But when I play a video anywhere, I expect to be able to pause it by pressing the space bar. That's how it works everywhere.

Quick Look in Finder is an exception: The point of it is to be able to take a quick glance at the preview of some file. You open it, check something, and close it again. You press space, check something, and immediately dismiss the floating window by pressing space again. It's a quick action. This behavior is intuitive to me. I have never, ever accidentally pressed space in order to pause a video playing in Quick Look. Not once. Yet, I hit space all the time in Photos.app. It's a different context. It's a full-blown application, not a small, transparent, ephemeral window.

A workaround: In Photos, if you press tab once, the player controls obtain the keyboard focus. (There is no visual indication of this.) Then, you can actually use space to pause and unpause the video.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Quoting myself about an old issue that I had given up on solving, but I just found a solution and thought I'd chime in just in case someone else faces it:

Speaking of localization issues, Spotlight isn't querying the appropriate dictionaries anymore, at least when the OS is in Brazilian Portuguese.

Before, if you typed a word in Spotlight it would show the definition in the appropriate language based on the dictionaries you have installed and in the order you have them in the Dictionary app's preferences. Now in El Capitan it's always showing me definitions/translations from the &#8220;Gran Diccionario Oxford - Español-Inglés &#8226; Inglis-Español&#8221; (which I don't even have installed) instead of showing the definition in Portuguese like it used to. The Dictionary app proper is acting normally, it's only on Spotlight definitions that this happens.

This has been happening at least since the GM (first version of El Capitan that I used) and continued to happen in 10.11.1. I sent feedback through the assistant when I was still in the beta, hopefully they fix this behavior and it goes back to how it was before.
What I did was go into /Library/Dictionaries, then deleted the "Gran Diccionario Oxford - Español-Inglis", plus all the other dictionaries I don't use since this can involve more than one at once. Now it shows the appropriate definitions in the correct custom dictionaries for me. Turns out that even if you don't some dictionaries ticked in the preferences of the dictionary.app, they're still left installed and being queried by Spotlight.

So if you use this feature and you're getting definitions or translations from the wrong dictionaries in Spotlight, just go into that folder and delete the ones that you don't use. They can take quite a bit of space too, so that's also a bonus.

Deku Tree

Another El Cap update, another month of Spotlight just not working for no apparent fucking reason.

A while back My spotlight was hosed and it was messing with my time machine backup. Turned out that I had some files with preferences that were locking me out of accessing them and it hosed everything.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
New Mac user here. I tried searching but didn't find anything so I hope this an alright place to ask. I have the AirPlay icon randomly popping up on my status bar. I don't have an Apple TV nor does anyone else in my house. Any ideas what's causing it or just an OS bug?

I once saw an AirPlay icon on my lock screen while using Apple Music but I don't know if the two are related.

Oh and I'm on the current version of El Capitan.

New Mac user here. I tried searching but didn't find anything so I hope this an alright place to ask. I have the AirPlay icon randomly popping up on my status bar. I don't have an Apple TV nor does anyone else in my house. Any ideas what's causing it or just an OS bug?

I once saw an AirPlay icon on my lock screen while using Apple Music but I don't know if the two are related.

Oh and I'm on the current version of El Capitan.
Are you on a shared network?

AirPlay only shows if there's a receiving device on the network you're connected to.

Try tapping it (from OSX or iOS) and it'll show you the name of the device that's set to receive.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Are you on a shared network?

AirPlay only shows if there's a receiving device on the network you're connected to.

Try tapping it (from OSX or iOS) and it'll show you the name of the device that's set to receive.

Just a home network that my family uses. There's only an iPhone and an iPad connected to the wifi and my Mac.

I've tried tapping it, but it doesn't show anything. I unchecked the box that says "show mirroring options when available in the menu bar." So far it hasn't popped up since.

Ambitious

Woohoo, I just realized that my pictures in Photos.app are finally correctly sorted by date. Congratulations, Apple. You figured out how to sort things.

Ambitious

Preview.app
Rotate Left: CMD+L
Rotate Right: CMD+R

Makes perfect sense.

iPhoto
Rotate Left: CMD+Option+R

Uh, okay.

Photos.app
Rotate Left: CMD+R
Rotate Right: CMD+Option+R

What?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Preview.app
Rotate Left: CMD+L

Makes perfect sense.

iPhoto
Rotate Left: CMD+Option+R

Uh, okay.

Photos.app
Rotate Left: CMD+R
Rotate Right: CMD+Option+R

What?
thisisfine.jpg

Seriously. That's silly. For some reason, Command+L hides/shows photos in Photos.app. Like priorities, man! It makes even less sense in Photos! Though they label it as Clockwise and Counterclockwise.

Ambitious

Haven't used Numbers in a while. When it comes to spreadsheets, I usually need to collaborate with someone, so I just use Google Sheets. Because it just works, you know?

So when I wanted to check something in one of my few Numbers documents stored in iCloud, it told me there's a conflict between two versions. What? I hadn't opened this document in months, and back then everything was fine. Where the hell did that conflict come from? The Last Modified date/time was exactly the same for both versions. Of course, there's no way to highlight the differences, so I had to manually check every single table of both files. Turned out they were indeed exactly the same. "Conflict", my ass.

Curious, I opened another iCloud document. Conflict. Two versions, same date, both completely equal. I opened yet another iCloud document. Conflict. Five versions this time, all with the same date, all completely equal. The same situation with the few remaining documents.

It just works.

thisisfine.jpg

Seriously. That's silly. For some reason, Command+L hides/shows photos in Photos.app. Like priorities, man! It makes even less sense in Photos! Though they label it as Clockwise and Counterclockwise.

The funny thing is, if you think about it, it's basically a metaphor for the evolution of Apple's software quality. From smart, intuitive software that just made sense over some weird design decisions here and there to the pathetic shitshow we have nowadays.

Here's another take on that: Apple’s declining software quality by Paul Jones.
Discussion on Hacker News

Furthermore, John Siracusa's opinion on this matter. Apparently, it starts at 14:06. Haven't listened to it yet.

I finally listened to that podcast. It's a great discussion. Seriously worth the time.

Apparently, from what Marco Arment has heard, people at Apple were totally shocked when he posted his infamous article last year. Allegedly, from their perspective Apple software was as great as it's ever been. That sure bodes well.

I finally listened to that podcast. It's a great discussion. Seriously worth the time.

Apparently, from what Marco Arment has heard, people at Apple were totally shocked when he posted his infamous article last year.

Yeah, Phil Schiller said that when he was the guest on The Talk Show in June. If you agree to anonymous crash reports then Apple reads those-- they are fixing the crashing bugs and so those reports are going way down so on that metric their shit is getting better.

Problem is they aren't (or weren't) measuring things that piss us off that don't result in a crash.

Purportedly this comes up on the latest Talk Show with that interview with Apple VPs, but I haven't listened to it.

I really do feel like this GIF sums up how oblivious Apple is to their current user experience issues.

I also think a lot of Apple's flack comes from how bad iTunes is on Windows. It's sort of their ambassador program, and when the Windows version performs as badly and has as many bugs as it does on both the application and user experience level, it has given all of iTunes a reputation.

Ambitious

Yeah, Phil Schiller said that when he was the guest on The Talk Show in June. If you agree to anonymous crash reports then Apple reads those-- they are fixing the crashing bugs and so those reports are going way down so on that metric their shit is getting better.

Problem is they aren't (or weren't) measuring things that piss us off that don't result in a crash.

Purportedly this comes up on the latest Talk Show with that interview with Apple VPs, but I haven't listened to it.

That's actually one of the talking points in the podcast. They speculate that Apple mainly observe crashes in their metrics, which, in their experience (and also mine) have indeed become more rare over the years. But as you say, crashes aren't the problem anymore. The thousands upon thousands of other bugs and annoyances are.

Here's my most recent example:

preview83syx.png

That's Preview.app. The sidebar with the search results is cut off at the bottom. There are way more search results down below, but I can't scroll any further. It just doesn't work. I can navigate to the results using the arrow keys, but the view doesn't follow the selection.

I mean, come one. It's a scroll view. That's not fucking rocket science, is it?

And that's not even the only issue I have with this cursed sidebar:

Oh cool, that one annoying scrolling-related UI bug of the sidebar in Preview.app hasn't been fixed either. I mean of course it hasn't.

If you have many PDFs open in the same window and close one of them from the sidebar, the scrollbar on the right side will suddenly enlarge to the full height of the sidebar. Then, as soon as you start to scroll in any direction, the sidebar will instantly jump down to the very bottom.

preview20os6x.gif

This happens all the time now, not just when closing one of the files. What I seem to have forgotten to make clear in this old post is that it doesn't just jump to the bottom end once, but every single time I try to scroll up. In other words, as soon as this bug shows up, I cannot scroll up anymore. (In the sidebar. Scrolling up in the content view to the right still works.)

Top Bottom