• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

jts

...hate me...
I can’t access the SMB share on my router for the life of me, using El Capitan’s Finder.

I’m not even surprised at this point that OS X was dumbified there too, but is there a more robust 3rd party client I can use for that purpose?

I can’t access the SMB share on my router for the life of me, using El Capitan’s Finder.

I’m not even surprised at this point that OS X was dumbified there too, but is there a more robust 3rd party client I can use for that purpose?

even with Finder > Go > Connect to Server... > smb://fullpath ?

jts

...hate me...
even with Finder > Go > Connect to Server... > smb://fullpath ?

Absolutely:

uiURrUF.png

It recognizes the SMB share:

AcXMceF.png

But then as soon as I enter the password:

HiEHJCJ.png

Tried on a borrowed Windows laptop, worked flawlessly. *shrug*

Zaph

Absolutely:

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/uiURrUF.png[/IMG]

It recognizes the SMB share:

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/AcXMceF.png[/IMG]

But then as soon as I enter the password:

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/HiEHJCJ.png[/IMG]

Tried on a borrowed Windows laptop, worked flawlessly. *shrug*

Have you tried entering the full path to the specific share? Different SMB implementations handle looking at the root directory differently (especially if there are other shares you don't have rights to).

i.e. smb://192.168.8.1/myshare

jts

...hate me...
Have you tried entering the full path to the specific share? Different SMB implementations handle looking at the root directory differently (especially if there are other shares you don't have rights to).

i.e. smb://192.168.8.1/myshare
Thanks, I was thinking something along those lines, but I have no clue what names I could try. The setup is pretty simple, I gave the one and only SMB user full root access to the share. The router page is barebones and doesn’t let me attribute a sharename or says which name it is supposed to be.

I’ll keep on trying and googling. I mean the Mac definitely sees the share and the username/pw are input correctly (any wrong combo just makes the window shake). Frustrating.

jts

...hate me...
Haha, you know what guys? Had an update to 10.11.1 pending and doing it fixed the issue. Now it just works. With the path being just smb://IP.

I had no idea I was so behind on updates (was still on El Cap’s original release), and I went to update because I read about the new release... have no idea why the update wasn’t straight to 10.11.3 or at least 10.11.2. Well, whatever. The important part is that it works perfectly now. Must’ve been a bug in 10.11.

Amazing.

Thanks!

Number45

I'm assuming this is related to me not having Flash installed, but does everyone else get a fullscreen window (i.e. it correctly opens in its own space) but the actual video is the original windowed size on Twitch? Anything I can do to fix it? This is on Safari.

I'm assuming this is related to me not having Flash installed, but does everyone else get a fullscreen window (i.e. it correctly opens in its own space) but the actual video is the original windowed size on Twitch? Anything I can do to fix it? This is on Safari.

Yeah, it's a weird thing with their html5 player. I just usually use chrome for twitch and twitch only. It actually works fine on their front page player, weirdly enough.

kuppy

Can't test it right now, but I think if you popout the player into its own tab or window and full screen that it works.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was having this problem with YouTube actually. But it inexplicably fixed itself last night. And it only happened on one machine.

Pausing and unpausing would fix it instantly for me.

pronk420

I'm going crazy trying to remember an app I saw, it has an icon like a green lotus (I think, or some kind of plant), it isn't mind node unless they changed the icon. Anyone know what that is?

When I unzip or unrar a folder, the newly created folder doesn't appear at the top of my list (have my columns setup as Date Modified). This means I have to literally place the zipped file into a separate, newly created folder, and unzip it to be able to 'see' the content.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Haven't looked at it but let me guess the "idea" for productivity is getting rid of floating windows for completely awesome full screen apps.
Yes, that is correct.

FTFY
Opinions really

In all seriousness though, I would gladly take that continuously scrolling fullscreen chain as long as it had a lock in place feature (As mentioned) as well as a PIP mode for video apps and Apple somehow figured out how to make the Finder a single window without making it useless. The desktop would be gone, as both its main features, that is drive icons and other icons, would be replaced with the already existent links in the sidebar to the Desktop folder (Which would become obsolete if the Desktop metaphor is gone) and the "Computer" folder which shows the drives and networked machines.

It would be a real bold move though and I don't see Apple doing it. Even Windows 8 still kept the desktop. Though I like how their desktop could still have another window tiled next to it and it would just resize the desktop. I can't do that on OS X. You have to choose a second window to tile. Desktop doesn't count. I don't even bother full screening Finder windows because I can't get rid of the desktop anyway so why bother.

I like how fullscreen works now, but it could definitely be better. Mainly pinning a window to always be visible (Even when on the Desktop spaces) and PIP would be my most wanted features. Also, an option to always have the menubar visible in fullscreen windows. I'm so tired of it appearing when I try to reach for something at the top of the screen, and I also like seeing the time whenever I need to. So I'd rather have it visible at all times instead.

Fuchsdh

Desktop Neo - rethinking the desktop interface for productivity

Interesting concept. Apple should hire this guy.

I would love to be able to fix a window in place:

feature-pin.gif

I find their arguments really hilarious, especially "the file system is outdated". Apple apparently thought so too and yet it hasn't gone away. Especially from a collaborative and professional standpoint proper file naming and folder structure is essential to organization.

You could argue that the half second I spend here and there resizing windows is ultimately a drag on productivity but any mousing tends to be slower than key commands, and if you are suggesting something that's not faster than a key command I don't see the point. Not to mention that the content in our apps doesn't remain static. I will expand my Safari screen depending on the web page. My Photoshop layout will depend on whether it's a web graphic or a mockup. Indesign will change whether it's a book or brochure.

Finally, whatever seconds here and there you might be saving, it's missing the forest for the trees. My time-wasting is playing video games or NeoGAF. Gaining me five seconds every day in comparison is chump change and doesn't actually address the root of my inefficiency, which is never the computer except for things like rendering.

jts

...hate me...
1password is having a 50% off sale.

But I’ve been pretty content with iCloud Keychain. Which is free. And right now I only use Mac+iOS.

Still... worth it?

When I unzip or unrar a folder, the newly created folder doesn't appear at the top of my list (have my columns setup as Date Modified). This means I have to literally place the zipped file into a separate, newly created folder, and unzip it to be able to 'see' the content.

Use the "Date Added" column or use an uncompressor that discards metadata.

Ambitious

Remember when we are able to not only see all windows in all desktops at once, but also freely move them to any other desktop just like that? Those were the days.

leopard_spacesi0jl0.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's not as quick though. In the original mode you could drag all the windows from one to another no matter which one you were on and could do a lot of organizing really fast. Now you have to be on the space that has the window you want then switch to another to move a different window elsewhere.

I don't mind Mission Control personally. I don't use spaces. But I make extensive use of fullscreen and hope 10.12 brings some more improvements (Like I mentioned above. Pinning spaces, making the Desktop into a split space and PIP mode for video-based spaces like YouTube and VLC.) so Mission Control works well for me.

But I really really HATE the initial text-only mode that appears at the top of the screen that switches to a thumbnail view when you mouse over it. It doesn't save any space at all and it makes it hard to predict where the thumbnail is going to be and therefore fucks with your motor memory and expectations. Why does it exist? We don't need it! Just show the thumbnails right away!

Also, just an anecdote. But remember OS X 10.0 Beta when Steve made a huge deal out of Quartz and its abilities and showed it off by showing how windows would update even when minimized to the Dock? So he minimized a QuickTime window and it kept playing in the icon. It was awesome. What the hell happened to that cool shit? Even QuickTime doesn't do that anymore. VLC never has. It's sad really. Not like it's a huge deal, but it could really be useful for other windows. I hate how Finder folder windows don't update themselves down there too. It's just dumb that it was removed. It was a neat touch and really showed off the power of OS X at the time.

If the spaces are visible at the top of the screen you can drag the mini windows from one space to another?

And QuickTime and Safari windows update when minimized for me last time I checked?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If the spaces are visible at the top of the screen you can drag the mini windows from one space to another?

And QuickTime and Safari windows update when minimized for me last time I checked?
Desktop spaces don't show window representations in them anymore.

And check again because they haven't updated live in years for me at least.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay, I see the "problem". The only app I ever have on the desktop usually is the Finder and I have the Finder set to "All Spaces", and apps assigned to all spaces don't appear as thumbnails.

But the point still stands, you can't drag the tiny thumbnails from space to space up there. Only the large shrunken windows in the bottom portion of the screen.

What model Mac and graphics card are you using?
It's the highest most top of the line MacBook Pro with two separate video cards. This feature was working 16 years ago on a GPU that is only a fraction of the power we have now. I'd love to see proof that it still works now because it makes no sense that it wouldn't work on my computer if it still works at all. And it hasn't worked for years and I've had numerous machines with numerous cards and chips.

Currently: Intel Iris Pro + Nvidia GeForce 750M in MacBook Pro and Nvidia GeForce 755M in iMac.

Irminsul

Also, just an anecdote. But remember OS X 10.0 Beta when Steve made a huge deal out of Quartz and its abilities and showed it off by showing how windows would update even when minimized to the Dock? So he minimized a QuickTime window and it kept playing in the icon. It was awesome. What the hell happened to that cool shit? Even QuickTime doesn't do that anymore. VLC never has. It's sad really. Not like it's a huge deal, but it could really be useful for other windows. I hate how Finder folder windows don't update themselves down there too. It's just dumb that it was removed. It was a neat touch and really showed off the power of OS X at the time.
Yup, the same for me. I think it was 10.6 when it stopped working? Or maybe 10.7, I'm not quite sure.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I consider myself lucky that my 2013 MBP battery is still at 94%. Considering my previous Air's battery died right out of warranty. And my iPhone 5C is exhibiting super terrible battery life but I don't know how to diagnose it. All I know is it drains so fast it's not even funny.

Battery technology really needs to be perfected.

Thanks. I didn't know Coconut could do that.

Alas, it doesn't show any problems with my battery. I wonder if it's the current iOS beta then? I don't know what could be sucking all my power though. Like it will drop almost instantly 5 or 10%.
One thing I often do is, when the battery starts behavign badly like that is do this funky reset:

1. wait for battery to behave oddly
2. let the phone run until it switches off
3. wait for shutdown
4. plug on the charging cable
5. as soon as the Apple logo appears, unplug the charging cable
6. let the phone run until it switches off
7. do a full charge

sounds like hocus pocus, but it works for me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
One thing I often do is, when the battery starts behavign badly like that is do this funky reset:

1. wait for battery to behave oddly
2. let the phone run until it switches off
3. wait for shutdown
4. plug on the charging cable
5. as soon as the Apple logo appears, unplug the charging cable
6. let the phone run until it switches off
7. do a full charge

sounds like hocus pocus, but it works for me.
I've done everything up to 4. Next time it happens I'll try 5 and on.

After the update my macbook wifi has stopped working.. And I didn't have time machine on. Any ideas?
The only thing I can do is tether.

Edit: Ignore me, it is my university internet being weird.. it was fine on my phone but not my laptop. I've sorted it now though:)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone having issues with Safari being a piece of shit whenever it needs to load a Google page (Gmail, Google, YouTube, etc.)?

I've been searching for the issue, and originally I thought it was a problem with caching and the SSD going to sleep (not being available to load the cached page). I turned off "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" in the Energy Saver settings. That definitely helped with the responsiveness issue, where the loading bar would just hang for up to a minute or two, but now the page is more often than not just instantly timing out. If I click a YouTube link on GAF, for example, it just goes to a "Safari can't load" page almost immediately. If I then click the URL bar and hit Enter a few times, it will eventually load, but it's really frustrating.

I don't have the issue at all in Chrome, but I prefer using Safari due to its native integration and better support of certain OS features.

Any ideas? Again, this is 100% exclusive to Google pages as far as I can tell.

Ninja Dom

bildschirmfoto2016-01zzudq.png

I guess it's time to finally have my battery replaced.

My girlfriend bought a new battery for her Macbook Pro in the Summer and I fitted it for her. She ordered it from Amazon, it wasn't official Apple but was as close to that as we could find at a cheaper price.

6 months or so later and the battery isn't holding up.

I heard that some retailers manage to "flash" older batteries so that they still register as a "new battery with zero load cycles". Has anyone heard of that?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well, update and sorry it's off-topic but it's related to my previous conversation: Sadly the little "trick" suggested by gingerbeardman didn't work on my 5C. The battery is obviously shot. I don't get a whole day's worth of power anymore. I used to get just enough to make it through an 8 hour day with 45 minutes worth of LTE browsing/music on my break. Now I'm down to 75% within an hour without actually using the device and into the 40s by the end of my breaks and if I didn't plug it into the conveniently left behind iPhone charging cable that we keep around because 95% of our employees have iPhones, I wouldn't get to the end of the day.

Sorry, back on topic.

Ambitious

Just returned from the store. The battery didn't pass their test. The remaining maximum capacity is at 76%. I don't know why CoconutBattery said it was 66%, but it doesn't matter. As I'm long out of warranty and I don't have AppleCare, they estimated the cost of replacing it to be about €300-€400. Usually, I wouldn't mind, but currently that's a bit too much for me. Oh, and the whole thing would take them 1-2 weeks, so this sucks too.
Anyway, they also confirmed that my battery is only suffering from normal wear, so it's not defect or anything. I can keep using it.

kuppy

Anyone having issues with Safari being a piece of shit whenever it needs to load a Google page (Gmail, Google, YouTube, etc.)?
Yeah, sorry to hear that, would say that's just Safari having problems. Apple recently acknowledged that Safari is having issues with t.co and that they are trying to fix that, could be something just like that or a end user thing.

Only thing you could try, that couldn't help at all though, is basically reseting Safari.

Had a similar thing happen to me with pages not loading and Safari crashing, only a fresh OS install helped, which is quite a hurdle to go though.

Ambitious

I recently restored my Mac from a Time Machine backup. When I just launched Photos.app, it said it had to repair/restore my library. Fine. But after it finished, it started to re-upload my whole library to the cloud. What the hell?

edit: It uploaded 400MB in the last ten minutes. I did the math: This is impossible with my connection. Is it just comparing the current state of my local library with the iCloud library? Why would this take so long? Why would it nonetheless explicitly say it's uploading the library?

edit 2: Indeed.
1) After restoring from a Time Machine backup, the Photos library needs to be repaired.
2) After repairing the Photos library, it needs to compare the local library with the iCloud library for differences and reupload/redownload items if necessary.

For god's sake, what's the fucking point of a backup tool that doesn't restore the system to the exact state it was before? This is gonna take the whole fucking day.

Top Bottom