• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

mrkgoo

The Safari request is seriously annoying. Aside from the fact I can't and won't use Safari - it's completely unusable to me as for some reason Apple don't think it's necessary to allow it to ask you where to save a file, and I save hundreds a day from gmail/dropbox etc.

It will only download to a single, specific folder. Why is it so hard for them to give you the choice? Choosing 'save link as...' doesn't always work, particularly for auto-pushed downloads and some email attachments. infuriating.

I've never actually noticed that it doesn't allow you as I pretty much use my downloads folder for downloads. It's like a triage area for my downloads.

Maybe I guess I'd find it annoying if I used gmail or Dropbox through web portal.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I've never actually noticed that it doesn't allow you as I pretty much use my downloads folder for downloads. It's like a triage area for my downloads.

Maybe I guess I'd find it annoying if I used gmail or Dropbox through web portal.
Yeah I just have too many files to be sifting through that stuff in my downloads folder.

Stuck using the web portal as the company dropbox just gets updated massively everyday with a heap of stuff not related to me (but resides in the shared folder I have access to!). Ah well - Chrome it is!

kuppy

Two Safari things.

Reading List - when I open a link from that list and scroll all the way up or down it tries to preview the next / previous link from the list and always screws me over. Is there a way to disable this feature?

Cookies - what cookie manager are you using? I would like to mark certain pages as favourites and let all cookies that aren't from those pages be deleted whenever I quit Safari.

It's a pain to reinstall but it MIGHT work.

All the input/output of input devices is handled by software so if some kext file is missing or corrupt it can affect use of the hardware.

AppleCare and warranty don't usually cover software issues.

What happens in US when you have a problem with a corrupt install or some other software issue but you're under warranty? Does taking it to an apple store do anything?

I would try at least that before taking it to the store. If it still doesn't click even on a fresh install, it's probably a mechanical problem.

New machine? Old machine?

It's an older machine, a 2009 MBP. Wanted to use it again after my surface became defective but now this is acting up too. :/

Did you have iMessage minimized? I want to use it, I just want the notifications on my phone as well when it's running.

Minimized, not the foreground application or quit all do the same thing- notification on the Mac and if I do nothing with it then the iPhone will start or continue its notify-me-three-times thing. I do not know what happens if I get a message in the current conversation and messages is the front-most app-- it may assume I am in front of the Mac in that case.

SeanR1221

Minimized, not the foreground application or quit all do the same thing- notification on the Mac and if I do nothing with it then the iPhone will start or continue its notify-me-three-times thing. I do not know what happens if I get a message in the current conversation and messages is the front-most app-- it may assume I am in front of the Mac in that case.

I'll try that later. See, I left iMessage up, and went to my kitchen for some things and came back to new messages that I wasn't notified about on my phone.

Fuchsdh

You can disable multiple notifications for the same message on your phone somewhere in settings--I turned that off back in iOS 5, no idea where it is now.

EDIT: Settings > Notifications > Messages > Repeat Alerts: Never, at the very bottom of the options.

You can disable multiple notifications for the same message on your phone somewhere in settings--I turned that off back in iOS 5, no idea where it is now.

I wasn't actually complaining about it; I find it much more useful than annoying because I've made a custom vibration that doesn't bring dozens of nearby people to orgasm when it goes off. Just that the notifications stop when I acknowledge them and continue when I don't.

just upgraded about a week back. I had a show last friday, i was planning on doing live recording but turns out the old driver for my audio interface( M Audio Profire 610) doesn't work anymore :(

Fuchsdh

just upgraded about a week back. I had a show last friday, i was planning on doing live recording but turns out the old driver for my audio interface( M Audio Profire 610) doesn't work anymore :(

Now you've learned--there is absolutely no software more likely to be broken by OS upgrades than audio stuff, especially plugins and AUs.

pestul

I was just about to give up on my Plex Media Server for OSX Yosemite due to video streams pausing.. but I found that unchecking the let hard disks sleep option solved the issue. Yeah, now the drives are awake, but at least the rest of the system sleeps as per normal. My external HDD used to spin down, from I guess Plex buffering enough data for a file, and then spin up for the next buffer for the next segment causing pausing.

Yeah my wifi keeps dropping connection (even though it says it's connected, I can't connect to the internet). It's the only device I own that has this issue so it's not the router.

Number45

Yeah my wifi keeps dropping connection (even though it says it's connected, I can't connect to the internet). It's the only device I own that has this issue so it's not the router.
Well now this is interesting. I'd thought that the problem at home was my router, but I just realised I didn't check from another device (running a continuous ping on my MBA shows pretty frequent drops).

I'll run a continuous ping from a Windows machine as well to check.

Changing to the 2.4Ghz band "solves" the problem right?

mrkgoo

Well now this is interesting. I'd thought that the problem at home was my router, but I just realised I didn't check from another device (running a continuous ping on my MBA shows pretty frequent drops).

I'll run a continuous ping from a Windows machine as well to check.

Changing to the 2.4Ghz band "solves" the problem right?

Betworking is a funny one to solve. Just because one device doesn't work doesn't necessarily point to that device being at "fault". It could be the router communicating with it, for example. Like it doesn't like that device, but the device isn't soingg anything wrong, such as just being incompatible for whatever reason.

Not saying that's the case in your situation, but just worth mentioning and keeping in kind whenever troubleshooting network issues.

pestul

I'm pretty sure the Macrumours forums are littered with issues concerning Yosemite and Wifi. I disabled my iMac's Wifi a while back and just decided to hard wire it in (around Mountain Lion I believe).

I think there's something changed in the way OSX handles network data in general with Yosemite tbh.

Number45

Betworking is a funny one to solve. Just because one device doesn't work doesn't necessarily point to that device being at "fault". It could be the router communicating with it, for example. Like it doesn't like that device, but the device isn't soingg anything wrong, such as just being incompatible for whatever reason.

Not saying that's the case in your situation, but just worth mentioning and keeping in kind whenever troubleshooting network issues.
Noted.

I'm a networking consultant. :p

Fuchsdh

I'm pretty sure the Macrumours forums are littered with issues concerning Yosemite and Wifi. I disabled my iMac's Wifi a while back and just decided to hard wire it in (around Mountain Lion I believe).

I think there's something changed in the way OSX handles network data in general with Yosemite tbh.

Well, if you can do that you should anyhow, so the wifi issues did you a favor :p

Number45

Does anyone know how I can force quit an application that's in full screen mode, but won't let me switch out? WoW is hanging on exit (completely fresh install) and I can't switch out to kill the process.

To make things a million time more infuriating, when I force a shut down... it automatically relaunches when I log back in (along with everything else). Need to work out how to stop that too, it should fucking ask.

Fuchsdh

Stutter Edit was the only victim of my Yosemite update. Crashes my DAW if I open it now. :(

Worst part is that with the accelerated ship date of OS releases, a lot of audio software/hardware manufacturers will only get around to providing full compatibility by the time the next release hits. :(

We keep the audio machine in our office offline and back at least 1 or 2 OS revisions for that reason. I think we upp'd it to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard... eight months ago?

Number45

OK, so holding option pops up a window asking me if I want to open everything again which is a start. I'd really like that behaviour to NEVER happen though.

Even Safari opened with all of my tabs from the last session, which I don't have enabled and never want to happen.

Does anyone know how I can force quit an application that's in full screen mode, but won't let me switch out? WoW is hanging on exit (completely fresh install) and I can't switch out to kill the process.

Command-option-escape to bring up the force-quit menu?

OK, so holding option pops up a window asking me if I want to open everything again which is a start. I'd really like that behaviour to NEVER happen though.

System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an app should be checked.

It was fine under Beta 3 (I think) so I wonder what changed between now and the official release.

Number45

Command-option-escape to bring up the force-quit menu?

System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an app should be checked.
Yeah, that's checked. Obviously in this case I'm not gracefully quitting the app so I guess that's why it launches. I'll give command-option-escape a go when I launch the game tomorrow to see if helps.

Thanks. :)

Sch1sm

My battery life on my 12 MBA is terrible.

Maybe getting 4 hours when I used to get close to 8.

How long ago did you install Yosemite? Maybe Spotlight is still indexing? I haven't seen many complaints at all over drastic battery changes after the upgrade.

bionic77

How long ago did you install Yosemite? Maybe Spotlight is still indexing? I haven't seen many complaints at all over drastic battery changes after the upgrade.
Last week.

A lot of complaints on the Apple boards about the battery taking a dump on Yosemite.

Hopefully it is just indexing but I doubt it. Initially it was telling me that the indexing was using significant battery. Don't see that anymore.

flyover

My battery life on my 12 MBA is terrible.

Maybe getting 4 hours when I used to get close to 8.
Yeah, my '12 MBA's battery life has crapped out a bit, too. Under four hours for basic web browsing and coding in a couple of IDEs. Going to have to see if there's anything I can do to get it back on track.

Sch1sm

Last week.

A lot of complaints on the Apple boards about the battery taking a dump on Yosemite.

Hopefully it is just indexing but I doubt it. Initially it was telling me that the indexing was using significant battery. Don't see that anymore.

Well fuck.
GG, NO RE.
Maybe it'll be fixed with a new update if it's something that's become pretty universal. I can't think of why it'd be doing that. My 2014 MBP is perfectly fine, same battery life as it had to begin with before the upgrade
but I still kinda sorta prefer Mavericks, not gonna lie.

So I'm really mad at the Wifi problems after upgrading to Yosemite.

Its like my wifi range decreased significantly. My room and the router are on the opposite side of the house but I never had wifi problems. Now if I'm not close to my door, I lose signal. Its so freakin annoying. All my other devices work, my iPhone and all but I have to now sit closer to the door to get good signal. Sometimes closing the damn door makes me lose signal.

I'm incredibly frustrated. Something is causing this interference and I cant figure out what. I never had this problem before upgrading.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

To make things a million time more infuriating, when I force a shut down... it automatically relaunches when I log back in (along with everything else). Need to work out how to stop that too, it should fucking ask.
This is why "Lion Fullscreen" and "Desktop fullscreen" and "Windowed fullscreen" were invented. Games that still rely on that old outdated "take over the entire computer" method and don't give an option to use one of the better methods should be shot into the sun. Does WoW not have an option like this, at least hidden in settings or something?

I like how the Mac version of BioShock Infinite did it. Command+Tab out of it and it temporarily turns into a window that you can minimize or hide and switch back to later. Or the way Minecraft has done it since 1.7 with Lion Fullscreen mode giving the game its own space.

Games that still take over the entire computer are the worst. That method was invented in the days when GPU power was important and the game benefitted from having all of it so it would send all GPU power to the game. But this is 2014. Also, games that resize the resolution of my display instead of using the full resolution and scaling up the video image. They suck too.

/Rant

Ninja Dom

Why do I always think turning iMessage on is a good idea?

I really really really don't like how it doesn't send a notification to your phone because it assumes you saw the message on your computer.

No it doesn't work like that. I've been using IMessage together on my iPad, iPhone and iMac for a couple of years now. The device you last used (most recently used) to send an IMessage will be the first to receive the next IMessage alert. If that alert isn't read then other devices will receive the same alert within a minute. By reading on a Mac that means clicking IMessage so it's the active window.

Sec0nd

Only problem I have with Yosemite so far is that the OS still continues to use a lot of battery in sleep mode. Plenty of times I closed my laptop with 8-12% battery and not being able to start the computer anymore after an hour or two.

gconsole

Only problem I have with Yosemite so far is that the OS still continues to use a lot of battery in sleep mode. Plenty of times I closed my laptop with 8-12% battery and not being able to start the computer anymore after an hour or two.

Not for me. I dont even close off the screen. Just leave it there and battery is rarely gone. I have latest macbook pro though.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Last week.

Maybe you can try disabling the transparency effects, to see if that affects your battery at all.

It's odd that Apple removed the puff animation from the dock, I just noticed that it's still there when removing items from the toolbar in finder.

mrkgoo

Do you have power nap enabled?

Nugg

GAF HALP!

I suck at Apple and stuff and I have no idea what I'm doing. I installed Yosemite like all the cool kids, and now I have a random black square showing up on screen. I have no fucking clue what it is. Sometimes it's large (like on that screenshot), sometimes it's small (like around a letter in the text I'm typing). It randomly goes away, if I close the window, or move it.

What is it? Does it want to hurt me or drink my soul or something? How do I get rid of it? Am I already dead?

i7a8XbBq7iZ3t.png

Fliesen

GAF HALP!

I suck at Apple and stuff and I have no idea what I'm doing. I installed Yosemite like all the cool kids, and now I have a random black square showing up on screen. I have no fucking clue what it is. Sometimes it's large (like on that screenshot), sometimes it's small (like around a letter in the text I'm typing). It randomly goes away, if I close the window, or move it.

What is it? Does it want to hurt me or drink my soul or something? How do I get rid of it? Am I already dead?

i7a8XbBq7iZ3t.png

http://superuser.com/questions/4538...ion-and-i-have-a-rectangle-around-my-mouse-ar
might this be the solution to your probYOUAREALREADYDEAD

Number45

This is why "Lion Fullscreen" and "Desktop fullscreen" and "Windowed fullscreen" were invented. Games that still rely on that old outdated "take over the entire computer" method and don't give an option to use one of the better methods should be shot into the sun. Does WoW not have an option like this, at least hidden in settings or something?
I'll have a delve around, but I didn't see anything obvious when I looked before.

EDIT: Changed it to fullscreen (windowed) mode and I can now swipe it left/right in its own space and force quit when it hangs. So that's a start!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'll have a delve around, but I didn't see anything obvious when I looked before.

EDIT: Changed it to fullscreen (windowed) mode and I can now swipe it left/right in its own space and force quit when it hangs. So that's a start!
I figured it should have an option like that. Modern games should, if they're coded correctly. It's always a pain for streamers when there's no Windowed mode because it fucks with their capture software.

Does WoW really hang that often though? I don't play WoW.

Number45

Does WoW really hang that often though? I don't play WoW.
I've just come back form a LONG absence (and to see how well it runs on my 2012 MBA), so it's a completely fresh install - it hangs every single time I exit. Googling suggests it hasn't been a widespread problem for a while now, hopefully it'll be fixed as there will be a lot of patches over the coming weeks for one reason or another.

My main problem is going to be the heat from the top of the keyboard and that it doesn't run very well. I was banking on an upgrade to the 21" iMac line (or re-introducing the 24" would have been preferable), but now that didn't happen I don't want to risk buying one when we might see a major update in the not too distant future. :'(

First world problems etc.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My main problem is going to be the heat from the top of the keyboard and that it doesn't run very well. I was banking on an upgrade to the 21" iMac line (or re-introducing the 24" would have been preferable), but now that didn't happen I don't want to risk buying one when we might see a major update in the not too distant future. :'(

First world problems etc.
The problem with this year's strange iMac update schedule (It got a new low end and a new high end but the existing models didn't change at all) is that they could literally update the rest of the line at any time without complaints. Because they're now past due. They'll probably get updates when Intel is ready with their next generation. But who knows exactly how long after that.

Also, 24" probably won't come back. It'll be 21" or 27" from now on. Just like the 17" MBP ain't coming back either.

Anyone remember the 30" ACDs? I remember thinking they were huge. Now that I have a 27", I see how right I was. So big.

rawd

Clean installed Yosemite on a Samsung EVO in a 2010 MBP. I should have gotten an SSD years ago what a diff.

Any of you cats enabling Trim in Yosemite. Apparently it's a bit of a chore and not worth the security risk.

Top Bottom