• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Ambitious

The Mac App Store Yosemite redesign just went live (not my screenshot):

B1v9Uw_CEAAjk1C.jpg:orig

Ninja Dom

I was part of the Public Beta program and after the last Public Beta, number 6, I still downloaded the final version of Yosemite from the App Store and wrote over Public Beta 6.

I've just got home and unlocked my iMac and I see the notification that updates were installed. I'm now on 10.10.1, the pre-release version. Did I sign up for this too?

Anyway, the dock background colour has changed, it's more of a solid white now. And the new App Store look too.

I was part of the Public Beta program and after the last Public Beta, number 6, I still downloaded the final version of Yosemite from the App Store and wrote over Public Beta 6.

I've just got home and unlocked my iMac and I see the notification that updates were installed. I'm now on 10.10.1, the pre-release version. Did I sign up for this too?

Anyway, the dock background colour has changed, it's more of a solid white now. And the new App Store look too.

Yeah, anyone who was on the public beta gets carried over into the new pre-release betas IIRC.

Crisco

Banned
It really is annoying how bad their shitty GPU switching implementation is. Why isn't there an option to just disable the discrete GPU entirely when I'm on battery? The integrated is more than enough for web browsing and IntelliJ. It literally cuts my battery life in half.

Yes, you're still in the public beta program. You probably have "install OS X Updates" checked in Sys Prefs > App Store, so it got installed automatically.

Wollveren

Banned
Does anyone else's wifi randomly drop? I'm on a MBP.

To get it to reconnect I have to disable and re-enable the wifi adapter.

Wtf I have that problem at times, the WiFi would freeze and I'd either have to wait a good couple of mins, or turn the wifi on and off from my mac.

I assumed its just a problem from the wifi? Pretty sure i've had it before Yosemite!

Dying HDD/HDD cable?

Basically yeah. It gave me a disk error which couldn't be repaired. I stored my drive onto an external hard drive, re-installed Yosemite fresh and everything's working fine. However I am having trouble getting my files back from the external hard drive.

Kinda wish I used the cloud now..

rezuth

It really is annoying how bad their shitty GPU switching implementation is. Why isn't there an option to just disable the discrete GPU entirely when I'm on battery? The integrated is more than enough for web browsing and IntelliJ. It literally cuts my battery life in half.
This gfxCardStatus has saved my life a lot of times, you can have it on auto or force it to use either the intergrated or dedicated.

https://gfx.io/

my 6 year old macbook finally started showing its age after installing YoSemite. I was looking for an excuse to get a new one so the timing couldn't have been better. In fact I did.

I love it!

Ninja Dom

What's the difference between using iCloud for your docs and updating yourself to iCloud Drive?

Before, on Mavericks, I could create a Numbers/Pages/Keynote document on my Mac and it would automatically appear within Numbers/Pages/Keynote on my iOS 7 iPhone and iPad. Simple!!

Now I'm on Yosemite and have an iOS 8 iPhone and iPad and have updated my account and settings to use iCloud Drive. But the above doesn't happen anymore. I create a doc on Numbers on my Mac and it doesn't appear on Numbers on my iPhone when I have saved the document in my iCloud Drive file.

Looking on iCloud.com the document isn't on there either. The document only seems to exist on my Mac. Now I can get this to work if I save a doc to my original iCloud folder the previous Mavericks way (which still gives me the option to do). But I have to do this to begin with, I only have one chance. OR to upload the doc to the iCloud.com website from my Mac.

Why make things more difficult and impose more steps that just break things?? It worked perfectly fine for me when it was just iCloud. This iCloud Drive doesn't work at all for me.

What are other peoples experiences with iCloud Drive?

mrkgoo

What's the difference between using iCloud for your docs and updating yourself to iCloud Drive?

Before, on Mavericks, I could create a Numbers/Pages/Keynote document on my Mac and it would automatically appear within Numbers/Pages/Keynote on my iOS 7 iPhone and iPad. Simple!!

Now I'm on Yosemite and have an iOS 8 iPhone and iPad and have updated my account and settings to use iCloud Drive. But the above doesn't happen anymore. I create a doc on Numbers on my Mac and it doesn't appear on Numbers on my iPhone when I have saved the document in my iCloud Drive file.

Looking on iCloud.com the document isn't on there either. The document only seems to exist on my Mac. Now I can get this to work if I save a doc to my original iCloud folder the previous Mavericks way (which still gives me the option to do). But I have to do this to begin with, I only have one chance. OR to upload the doc to the iCloud.com website from my Mac.

Why make things more difficult and impose more steps that just break things?? It worked perfectly fine for me when it was just iCloud. This iCloud Drive doesn't work at all for me.

What are other peoples experiences with iCloud Drive?

I dragged a numbers document into my iCloud drive folder called "numbers" on my Mac and it appeared on my iPhone.

Ninja Dom

I dragged a numbers document into my iCloud drive folder called "numbers" on my Mac and it appeared on my iPhone.

Yup you can do that too. But you should be able to save a document to your iCloud Drive folder within Numbers on your Mac and it automatically appears on your iPhone - just like it used to in Mavericks and iOS 7. No dragging into a folder afterwards required. This isn't happening for me.

mrkgoo

Yup you can do that too. But you should be able to save a document to your iCloud Drive folder within Numbers on your Mac and it automatically appears on your iPhone - just like it used to in Mavericks and iOS 7. No dragging into a folder afterwards required. This isn't happening for me.

Not sure what you mean.

I can open numbers on YOsemite, create a new document, and save to iCloud drive, and it appears in my numbers folder, and also on my iPhone.

Ninja Dom

Not sure what you mean.

I can open numbers on YOsemite, create a new document, and save to iCloud drive, and it appears in my numbers folder, and also on my iPhone.

Alright, I open Numbers in Yosemite, create a spreadsheet called TEST. Then save it to iCloud Drive under the filename TEST.

Now if I go into Finder, iCloud Drive, the TEST document exists there. It isn't in the pre-made Numbers folder though. It just exists within iCloud Drive and it isn't in a folder. When I load up Numbers on my iPhone. TEST spreadsheet is not there. If I go to my Mac and manually drag the TEST spreadsheet in iCloud Drive, into the Numbers folder, then it appears on my iPhone.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They're moving away from the old iCloud method of every app having a single folder for all its files. You can put the documents wherever you want now. But the folder still exists for backwards compatibility. If you delete the folder nothing bad will happen since apps are able to look anywhere in the iCloud instead of just their own sandboxes now.

WTF I got a pop up on my Desktop from Macstore offering me Yosemite for free?

did this happen to anybody else?

(i didnt check previous pages, gonna check now)

Edit:Nvm it was always a free upgrade, but what im reading it doesn't seem worth it should i just stick with Snow leopard? my Mac is old as fuck, 2007

Edit:Nvm it was always a free upgrade, but what im reading it doesn't seem worth it should i just stick with Snow leopard? my Mac is old as fuck, 2007
Yes, it's free. And so was last years OS upgrade. Where have you been?

Elchele

what are your mac specs? only a bunch of models are supported.
I would upgrade to Mavericks if I was you. its a very performance oriented version.

Ninja Dom

Not sure what you mean.

They're moving away from the old iCloud method of every app having a single folder for all its files. You can put the documents wherever you want now. But the folder still exists for backwards compatibility. If you delete the folder nothing bad will happen since apps are able to look anywhere in the iCloud instead of just their own sandboxes now.

My docs are now appearing on my iPhone. I think there's such a delay with the saving to iCloud Drive and the transferring over to my iPhone. I'll have to test it more.

My Boot Camp partition has gone rogue--can anyone help me delete it?

I mistakenly tried to "erase" it using Disk Utility, and now Boot Camp Assistant doesn't even recognize that it's there. There's 20GBs of space currently being allocated to nothing--how do I bring it back into the fold? I don't need Windows.

Command line diskutil can be used to reclaim it as part of an adjacent partition on the disk. Disk Utility claims to do so as well, but I haven't had much luck with it.

mrkgoo

Alright, I open Numbers in Yosemite, create a spreadsheet called TEST. Then save it to iCloud Drive under the filename TEST.

Now if I go into Finder, iCloud Drive, the TEST document exists there. It isn't in the pre-made Numbers folder though. It just exists within iCloud Drive and it isn't in a folder. When I load up Numbers on my iPhone. TEST spreadsheet is not there. If I go to my Mac and manually drag the TEST spreadsheet in iCloud Drive, into the Numbers folder, then it appears on my iPhone.

I save it straight to the numbers folder. I think as soon as I chhoose iCloud it opens thenicloud drive numbers folder as default. Not sure though.

Yes it can take a little while to pick up the sync.

GaryD

I only just realised it was free too when it popped up in the app store. I've upgraded some apps are now crashing which I've never had before. Also wifi is sometimes not working despite full bars if signal.

It looks pretty though :)

lupin23rd

I was using the public beta from the summer, and noticed that I still seem to be on the following version:

OS X 10.10 (14A329r)

My Mac Store has an update for Yosemite, but it seems to keep trying to download the Yosemite Beta 3 file, and then once it's downloaded, tells me that the available updates have changed.

When I try to download the real version from the store it says I'm already running it, and if I want to install, click 'Continue' - however I'm promoted with 'Learn More' and 'OK'.

Not sure if I'm on a beta version of the real release or if I'm way behind and need some special magic to get back on track? Any ideas?

guys, the volume for the macbook speakers is way too low expect while using vlc player where you can turn it as high as 200%. is there any free app that lets me increase the volume of the system. i used the free trial of an app called boom and it worked flawlessly but he full version is 7$. no way im paying that much for something that basic.

is there any free app that lets me increase the volume of the system. i used the free trial of an app called boom and it worked flawlessly but he full version is 7$. no way im paying that much for something that basic.

Yeah, a CoreAudio application that normalizes and EQs everything on the fly and improves your experience in an appreciable way is totally not worth $7.

Personally, I use $50 headphones or an $80 AirPort Express into a $600 stereo.

The alternatives to Boom seem to be Audio Hijack Pro and Hear, both of which are more complicated and more expensive.

kuppy

Why doesn't Preview save the window position and proportion? Every other app launches the way it was closed.
Whenever I open a document with Preview though I firstly have to rearrange the window.

Also, I never had Finder in icon view with a right label position (plus item info, arranged by name), it's amazing, I love it. Obviously I don't use that view for all folders (e.g. Downloads and Music which are in list view), but for folders, pictures and pdfs it's ideal for me.

Top Bottom