• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

Number45

I didn't actually realise it was out, thought it was a promo site. :eek:

I assume something like that will be easy enough to get rid of with AppClean? Always worried about something that hooks into the OS at such a deep level, particularly if it's in early release.

Ambitious

I didn't actually realise it was out, thought it was a promo site. :eek:

I assume something like that will be easy enough to get rid of with AppClean? Always worried about something that hooks into the OS at such a deep level, particularly if it's in early release.

I was just about to comment on that: No, be careful. You won't be able to uninstall it that easily. And here's the first paragraph of the GitHub page:

It's very rough right now, and a horrendous hack, but a fun proof of concept.

It actually works via SIMBL. I have no personal experience with SIMBL, but I know it's used for many OS X hacks. It injects code into running applications in order to modify their behavior.
It's fine if you know what you're doing, but be careful otherwise.

I don't expect Flashlight to wreck your system, but I'd still recommend waiting until it matures.

Fuchsdh

I was just about to comment on that: No, be careful. You won't be able to uninstall it that easily. And here's the first paragraph of the GitHub page:

It actually works via SIMBL. I have no personal experience with SIMBL, but I know it's used for many OS X hacks. It injects code into running applications in order to modify their behavior.
It's fine if you know what you're doing, but be careful otherwise.

I don't expect Flashlight to wreck your system, but I'd still recommend waiting until it matures.

I've been using Simbl since 10.7 to inject color back into sidebar icons, never had any issues. It's certainly a hack, but it's not really that unstable.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For the past few days I've had the oddest problem I had never come across before.

I have CCC set up to make sure to keep older replaced files in an archive on the backup drive like you should and a few days ago (Okay, a month ago) I went to clean up some of them and deleted their folders like you can. (They're just older files that aren't used anymore but CCC archives them in case you need to recover something like Time Machine) And when it got to a single folder, a folder part of an application that was apparently updated and replaced, it refused to delete the Application's containing folder. Not the files in the container. No, those files were deleted fine with no problem. The application in question was CrashPlan. I guess they updated the app (Though still no goddamned Retina or Dark Mode support for their menubar app.) so CCC archived the old one.

Nothing I could do would delete this empty folder. And that's all it was. An empty folder with the name "CrashPlan.app". The icon had been deleted so it was just a blank app folder. The binaries and resources were gone too. It was empty. So even though it was an app, it might as well just be a normal folder. Trying to empty the trash would throw up a "Cannot delete because it's in use" error.

I tried rebooting into Safe Mode to force both CCC and CP to not load to try again. Nope! Still won't delete.

After playing around I discovered it was "locked" in Info. So I unchecked the box and tried to delete it again. No dice. Went back to look and it had locked itself again. So I clicked again. Half a second later it locks again. Over and over. Kept locking itself like "Nope!"

At first I didn't know whether to blame CCC, CrashPlan or OS X. After screwing around I determined it's an OS X bug. I plugged the HDD into another machine that doesn't have CrashPlan running. Still wouldn't delete.

In order to remove it I had to erase the partition it was on. (And thus recreate my entire backup all over.) Once it was in the trash I couldn't even move it back out. It's like it became a hostage and developed Stockholm Syndrome.

mrkgoo

For the past few days I've had the oddest problem I had never come across before.

I have CCC set up to make sure to keep older replaced files in an archive on the backup drive like you should and a few days ago (Okay, a month ago) I went to clean up some of them and deleted their folders like you can. (They're just older files that aren't used anymore but CCC archives them in case you need to recover something like Time Machine) And when it got to a single folder, a folder part of an application that was apparently updated and replaced, it refused to delete the Application's containing folder. Not the files in the container. No, those files were deleted fine with no problem. The application in question was CrashPlan. I guess they updated the app (Though still no goddamned Retina or Dark Mode support for their menubar app.) so CCC archived the old one.

Nothing I could do would delete this empty folder. And that's all it was. An empty folder with the name "CrashPlan.app". The icon had been deleted so it was just a blank app folder. The binaries and resources were gone too. It was empty. So even though it was an app, it might as well just be a normal folder. Trying to empty the trash would throw up a "Cannot delete because it's in use" error.

I tried rebooting into Safe Mode to force both CCC and CP to not load to try again. Nope! Still won't delete.

After playing around I discovered it was "locked" in Info. So I unchecked the box and tried to delete it again. No dice. Went back to look and it had locked itself again. So I clicked again. Half a second later it locks again. Over and over. Kept locking itself like "Nope!"

At first I didn't know whether to blame CCC, CrashPlan or OS X. After screwing around I determined it's an OS X bug. I plugged the HDD into another machine that doesn't have CrashPlan running. Still wouldn't delete.

In order to remove it I had to erase the partition it was on. (And thus recreate my entire backup all over.) Once it was in the trash I couldn't even move it back out. It's like it became a hostage and developed Stockholm Syndrome.

Have you tried going into terminal and using commands for various methods of delete (ie sudo rmdir etc) or otherwise checking if other flags are set such as non mutable flags etc?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Have you tried going into terminal and using commands for various methods of delete (ie sudo rmdir etc) or otherwise checking if other flags are set such as non mutable flags etc?
I did try sudo rm etc. It just kept giving errors saying I could not delete it.

I've never been unable to delete a file before. Even ones being used by the system would always be deleted forcibly when I use sudo rm, but not this folder.

I don't know what flags it had set, but it doesn't matter now. It was removed without complaint or error by Disk Utility when I deleted the partition. It remained un-delete-able for 3 weeks through countless reboots and computer switches.

mrkgoo

I did try sudo rm etc. It just kept giving errors saying I could not delete it.

I've never been unable to delete a file before. Even ones being used by the system would always be deleted forcibly when I use sudo rm, but not this folder.

I don't know what flags it had set, but it doesn't matter now. It was removed without complaint or error by Disk Utility when I deleted the partition. It remained un-delete-able for 3 weeks through countless reboots and computer switches.

Folders need to be rmdir in terminal. Rm doesn't work on directories if I remember correctly. Folder also needs to be empty.

Not doubting you had something weird, just saying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Don't worry. I tried that too. It would not delete the folder at all no matter what. The fact that it kept locking itself is enough to assume it's a bug in Yosemite. Hopefully one that won't show up again. I really hate reformatting entire drives just to delete one folder.

installing this on the macbook pro, Seems something went wrong with installing this, I am stuck at 22 minues left, its been like that for over 20 minutes now.. any advice?

can I just restart the computer?

Ambitious

installing this on the macbook pro, Seems something went wrong with installing this, I am stuck at 22 minues left, its been like that for over 20 minutes now.. any advice?

Don't restart while installing. Wait a little longer.
Do you have a backup?

I'd say leave it run, I've seen OS X installers stay at "1 minute remaining" for over an hour in the past.

pestul

Argh.. my external HDD is still going to sleep even with the option turned off in energy saver. This causes my Plex library playback to stutter. It worked properly until a recent reboot too.

Ambitious

restarted it as nothing happened.

once rebooted it starts with the screen telling me its 22 minutes left.....

What can I do?

You should have waited. If you google for this issue, you will find that waiting worked out for pretty much everyone, sooner or later.
Try pressing cmd+L. It should show you the installation log.

You should have waited. If you google for this issue, you will find that waiting worked out for pretty much everyone, sooner or later.
Try pressing cmd+L. It should show you the installation log.

Pressing cmd+L got my mouse icon to turn into a loading circle...still loading after 5 minutes.

Don't worry. I tried that too. It would not delete the folder at all no matter what. The fact that it kept locking itself is enough to assume it's a bug in Yosemite. Hopefully one that won't show up again. I really hate reformatting entire drives just to delete one folder.

A couple of thoughts:
Did you run the terminal command to list the extended attributes ('xattr')? Standard 'ls' doesn't list them, and Get Info in the Finder may not as well.

Corrupt filesystem?

Pressing cmd+L got my mouse icon to turn into a loading circle...still loading after 5 minutes.

Next time you get annoyed enough to reboot, holding cmd-v will make your Mac display all the robot barf it hides by default*. Eventually it will get to the bit where it's hanging and you can Google the message you're getting.

*I think, I haven't done this in a while.

A couple of thoughts:
Did you run the terminal command to list the extended attributes ('xattr')? Standard 'ls' doesn't list them, and Get Info in the Finder may not as well.

Corrupt filesystem?

Next time you get annoyed enough to reboot, holding cmd-v will make your Mac display all the robot barf it hides by default*. Eventually it will get to the bit where it's hanging and you can Google the message you're getting.

*I think, I haven't done this in a while.

thanks, by the way, its still stuck at 22 minutes and the mouse icon is still a round loading circle after having pressed cmd+L

fuck this shitty yosemite os.

It still says 22 minutes before its fully installed, its been over 4 hours now.

how can I just install mavericks again? restarting the laptop will only take me back to this 22 minutes screen.

fuck this shitty yosemite os.

It still says 22 minutes before its fully installed, its been over 4 hours now.

how can I just install mavericks again? restarting the laptop will only take me back to this 22 minutes screen.

Just do a clean install, man. Always just backup and do a clean install, with any OS installation.

Boot into recovery, see what your options are.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Right, I mentioned this earlier but I've been having some issues with my iMac Retina when it wakes up from sleep mode. During the first seconds is adjust the brightness, and then some 6-8 seconds after waking up there seems to be a slight change in tone and brightness. No, I don't use Flux and I am using the standard color profile.

Here's a comparison pic before the tone change and right after. Anyone else noticed anything similar on their imac retina?

TeMbhHt.jpg

Right, I mentioned this earlier but I've been having some issues with my iMac Retina when it wakes up from sleep mode. During the first seconds is adjust the brightness, and then some 6-8 seconds after waking up there seems to be a slight change in tone and brightness. No, I don't use Flux and I am using the standard color profile.

Here's a comparison pic before the tone change and right after. Anyone else noticed anything similar on their imac retina?

TeMbhHt.jpg

The color profile is being applied a little late. Might be a little slow b/w Yosemite and the Retina display.

I am officially done with Google Chrome on Yosemite. This shit is unacceptable.

cmjcmu.png

64-bit Chrome should be landing in the next few weeks, which is going to discard some legacy code. You may want to hold out till then.

(I use Safari on Macs myself since Mavericks. Chrome simply uses too much energy on a laptop).

Ive been using Safari for the whole day. Its nowhere near as feature set and organized as Chrome, but man it does feel nice to able to scroll a page down without it freezing for 5 seconds for every image. Videos work too! I really hope Chrome gets better, because i still don't like Safari.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Chrome got so bad in the months before Mavericks came out for me that I made the switch to Safari and never looked back. I scrubbed it from all my systems and devices. I kept Firefox though for reasons I've explained many times. (Mainly it's ability to have extensions that let me download pretty much any un-DRM'd videos and other media on a webpage.) But that one is pretty bad too. So outdated and unmodern in comparison it's shocking. I never thought I'd come back to Safari but it was surprisingly easy to let go of the amount of customization I had with Chrome like when I let go of the total customization I had when I dumped Firefox.

LeleSocho

Banned
Switch to Safari and don't look back for at least an year or so, i have the extension that i need (Stylish, Imgur uploader and a couple more) and with the Premium HTML5 video feature i can finally browse the web without that piece of crap that is Flash.
It also saves a shit ton of battery which is really important if you are on a portable.

Arcteryx

You'd think that the standard color profile wouldn't have to load in the way a custom one chosen by a user would?

Do you have a password at login? if so, I think that's the "problem". I'm pretty sure the color profile is different for that, as your background not only gets "blurred", but also gets a tone applied to it.

Sch1sm

Ive been using Safari for the whole day. Its nowhere near as feature set and organized as Chrome, but man it does feel nice to able to scroll a page down without it freezing for 5 seconds for every image. Videos work too! I really hope Chrome gets better, because i still don't like Safari.

It grows on you, you'll see.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Do you have a password at login? if so, I think that's the "problem". I'm pretty sure the color profile is different for that, as your background not only gets "blurred", but also gets a tone applied to it.

Nope, but I've tried that. I see it happen in the background there as well, even when I haven't logged in yet.

What was that mod to force Safari tab widths to stay the same?

Also, is there no way to remember zoom levels for sites? Gaf is unreadable for me at default text size... it's just way too small.

Does Safari render images differently to e.g. Chrome?

Example

Open that image in both Chrome and Safari. The latter is of a lower res on screen but when downloaded, they are both the same quality

Anyone having issues with Gmail not working with Mail? Yesterday my Mail client was acting up and wasn't letting me access new email sent to my gmail account and still won't even after I've signed in and out of the account multiple times.

gamma

So has anyone been able to figure out why the 2011 MacBook Air doesn't support Handoff/iOS Air Drop? I don't believe in planned obsolescence but I can't seem to find a better explanation.

Top Bottom