• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't believe in planned obsolescence but I can't seem to find a better explanation.
Do you also not believe in having car insurance?

:p

As it's been mentioned, it's missing a chip, but I remember that there was a way to get some of those older models to work if you upgraded the BT.

is it possible to change/customize these tiles in Safari?

cclK6I7.png

EDIT: Nvm, misread the question.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
is it possible to change/customize these tiles in Safari?

cclK6I7.png
Not unless you tell the site to change it. They're based on the sites icon png file. Same one iOS uses for home screen bookmarks.

My problem is that not all sites use them and it sucks that I can't at least force it in there. I wish it would at least fall back to the favicon since pretty much every single site has one.

gamma

Do you also not believe in having car insurance?

:p

As it's been mentioned, it's missing a chip, but I remember that there was a way to get some of those older models to work if you upgraded the BT.

That's true for some MacBook Pro and iMac models which lack BT 4.0 LE but the 2011 Air has that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm sure there's other under the hood changes. But you're right. Most of the front end changes were interoperability with iOS. But if you have multiple Macs it could be useful. And it's free. And it works with everything Mavericks does. So you might as well. Do a backup and upgrade. Try it out for a day. If you don't like it then restore and move on. But eventually you'll be using it so you might as well.

It might be worse. That's why.

All of the upgrades like hands-free calling seems like it's suited for an Apple ecosystem.

I don't see anything worse about it, nor extremely better if you're not part of the ecosystem. To me, every release since Lion has felt largely the same. Regardless, there's little reason not to upgrade, if you can.

Question: is blocking ports like its described in the following link easy to do on Yosemite with an AirPort Extreme?

Yes and no; everything is walled off by default, so you've either already manually configured the NAT/PATing that PSN needs, or you've told the router to just forward everything to your PS4. So repeat the Google search you did when you got your PlayStation or Airport Extreme and undo parts of it until PSN is the appropriate level of broken and run around the goddamn moon for hours looking for chests and glowing piles.

Is it worth jumping to Yosemite from Mavericks?

It's functionally better in lots of little ways (and big ones— Mail is back to not sucking again) but it's pretty ugly.

Zuly

According to iFixit it the 2011 and 2012 Airs use the exact same WiFi/BT chip so it can't be that.

Now that you bring this site up, is this good for me to get upgrades for my mid-2010 Macbook Pro there? I was going to build a rig but I have to put it off to save up for moving but I want to give some extra life to laptop. Is the site pretty good?

Now that you bring this site up, is this good for me to get upgrades for my mid-2010 Macbook Pro there? I was going to build a rig but I have to put it off to save up for moving but I want to give some extra life to laptop. Is the site pretty good?

It's good, though if you know what you need and can find a reputable seller, you may have better luck with eBay for parts. I usually get memory/SSDs/HDDs from local PC shops or Newegg. The single best upgrade you can do to that MBP is put an SSD in it.

Deku Tree

Yes and no; everything is walled off by default, so you've either already manually configured the NAT/PATing that PSN needs, or you've told the router to just forward everything to your PS4. So repeat the Google search you did when you got your PlayStation or Airport Extreme and undo parts of it until PSN is the appropriate level of broken and run around the goddamn moon for hours looking for chests and glowing piles.

Actually I didn't intentionally do either... I just plugged my PS4 into my AirPort Extreme using Ethernet and started playing. That's all. Given that do you know how to disable the stuff they are recommending? Thanks!

Actually I didn't intentionally do either... I just plugged my PS4 into my AirPort Extreme using Ethernet and started playing. That's all. Given that do you know how to disable the stuff they are recommending? Thanks!

Huh, I wouldn't have thought it would "just work" given the bellyaching you can find on the Internet. Come to think of it, by the time I got an Xbone, the AirPort software/hardware didn't need any of the manual configuration that the 360 needed.

Look for the NAT Port Management Protocol option in AirPort Utility and turn it off. It's in internet>Internet options on the Mac. See what breaks for your PSN.

The links you have posted don't suggest you need to block outbound traffic, but if that's the case then that's impossible on the AirPort.

Number45

You'll find some configurations work fine with some routers, some don't. It's UPnP on the router (which is all you should need) - basically opens up the ports as requested by the device wanting connectivity without any user interaction.

I've had NAT2 on all PS devices I've used on my home network, across three different types of router without ever having to manually configure. Some people are just lucky, I guess, but I assume there are probably recommendations out there for devices that seem to work OK and some that might cause problems (although something working in one scenario doesn't mean it'll work in another, and vice versa).

Deku Tree

Huh, I wouldn't have thought it would "just work" given the bellyaching you can find on the Internet. Come to think of it, by the time I got an Xbone, the AirPort software/hardware didn't need any of the manual configuration that the 360 needed.

Look for the NAT Port Management Protocol option in AirPort Utility and turn it off. It's in internet>Internet options on the Mac. See what breaks for your PSN.

The links you have posted don't suggest you need to block outbound traffic, but if that's the case then that's impossible on the AirPort.

Thanks but I don't see the NAT Port Management Protocol option in my airport utility under the latest Yosemite.

The question is about making PSN not work properly (but work enough) to make the tedious part of an always online game go faster due to not running into other humans.
Exactly. Thanks!

Deku Tree

Configure the router. Click "Internet" tab, then "Internet Options" button.

Yes I did that a few times. The only thing I see under Internet Options is "Configure IPv6" which is set to automatically and "IPv6 mode" which is set to native and a button for "Enable IPv6 connection sharing" which is checked. and a button for "Use dynamic global hostname" which is unchecked. There is no other buttons. It doesn't say anything anywhere about "NAT Port Management Protocol". Thanks for helping BTW.

That keystroke that calls up Spotlight also calls up the Zoom tool in Adobe apps. And although I know this can be changed, I usually just ignored it when it just made a little dropdown way up in the corner. Now that it's dead center it definitely obscures whatever I'm working on.

Is there a way to have all Finder windows open using the same view settings?

All of my folders open differently and I want everything consistent...

Deku Tree

Ok thank you. I will try that later today and see what happens. I am curious to See if it works.

Sorry, I'm dumb. It's "network" and "network options", not "internet" and "internet options".

The question is about making PSN not work properly (but work enough) to make the tedious part of an always online game go faster due to not running into other humans.

Didn't work. I'm just going to give up on materials farming in Destiny... They promised a materials exchange in the Tower and I'll just hope this shows up soon. For now I am good with the maxed weapons that I already have...

That keystroke that calls up Spotlight also calls up the Zoom tool in Adobe apps.

Hit space first (to get the panning-hand), then command, and Spotlight stays away.

Didn't work.

That's too bad. There are lots of routers that do support firewall rules if you do decide your you're-not-addicted-and-can-quit-anytime activity needs such a thing and Bungie takes as much time adding in the material exchange as they have buffing Bad Juju (et al).

Deku Tree

Hit space first (to get the panning-hand), then command, and Spotlight stays away.

That's too bad. There are lots of routers that do support firewall rules if you do decide your you're-not-addicted-and-can-quit-anytime activity needs such a thing and Bungie takes as much time adding in the material exchange as they have buffing Bad Juju (et al).

Thanks! Well Bungie has several updates planned for between now and the Dec. 9 expansion so we can hope... you playing Destiny too? You seem to know a lot about what is going on..

Deku Tree

Yeah, on the XBox, though. Have been playing Bungie games since '92 (hence the Big Floaty Thing in the avatar).

Ah.

BTW, I can't send email with Apple Mail on Yosemite. I have a gmail business account and a work email address and neither are able to send outgoing email. The accounts are configured correctly and I have deleted and recreated them twice, in fact I have done everything except deleting the whole email accounts from Apple Mail and doing a clean install. Nothing works. I just can't send email from my desktop except by using the gmail browser window. Sucks...

I can't send email with Apple Mail on Yosemite. I have a gmail business account and a work email address and neither are able to send outgoing email.

EDIT: Derp, did it used to work in 10.9 or earlier? I need more coffee. Anyway, I would still test the following, but it makes no sense in the context of this breaking following upgrading to 10.10.

Sounds like the SMTP port is blocked if it's two dissimilar email accounts.

Can you telnet to the SMTP port that's been configured for each? Common ones are 25, 465, 587.

Good (names changed to protect the innocentme):
Code:
DiatribeGenerator:~ crudediatribe$ telnet smtp.senderofhate.local 25
Trying [redacted IP]...
Connected to smtp.senderofhate.local
Escape character is '^]'.
220 foo.senderofhate.local  ESMTP server ready
^]
telnet> quit
DiatribeGenerator:~ crudediatribe$

If it doesn't work, you'll get an error message immediately, or it will be stuck on "trying [IP] ..." (hit ctrl-c). If those outbound ports aren't connecting then that's why. Try one of the others and if you get through set Mail to use them. Alternatively, you may have to use your ISP's SMTP server.

Deku Tree

EDIT: Derp, did it used to work in 10.9 or earlier? I need more coffee. Anyway, I would still test the following, but it makes no sense in the context of this breaking following upgrading to 10.10.

Sounds like the SMTP port is blocked if it's two dissimilar email accounts.

Can you telnet to the SMTP port that's been configured for each? Common ones are 25, 465, 587.

Good (names changed to protect the innocentme):
Code:
DiatribeGenerator:~ crudediatribe$ telnet smtp.senderofhate.local 25
Trying [redacted IP]...
Connected to smtp.senderofhate.local
Escape character is '^]'.
220 foo.senderofhate.local  ESMTP server ready
^]
telnet> quit
DiatribeGenerator:~ crudediatribe$

If it doesn't work, you'll get an error message immediately, or it will be stuck on "trying [IP] ..." (hit ctrl-c). If those outbound ports aren't connecting then that's why. Try one of the others and if you get through set Mail to use them. Alternatively, you may have to use your ISP's SMTP server.

Yes it used to work on 10.9. Also my work email used to work until last week when it just stopped working I don't know why. Also I can send from both SMTP servers on my iPhone and my iPad using the same internet at my home. So I don't know the SMTP server is being blocked... Anyway thanks!

Address and port are different things— ideally it would auto-configure to the same port, but maybe that's the problem? Port is the last field on the iOS SMTP config page. On the Mac, you have to "edit SMTP list" from the dropdown for the account's SMTP server, then click 'advanced'.

There should also be some sort of error when you try and send and can't— e.g. password rejected, couldn't connect, etc.

Address and port are different things— ideally it would auto-configure to the same port, but maybe that's the problem? Port is the last field on the iOS SMTP config page. On the Mac, you have to "edit SMTP list" from the dropdown for the account's SMTP server, then click 'advanced'.

There should also be some sort of error when you try and send and can't— e.g. password rejected, couldn't connect, etc.

I had the same problem when I was on the Yosemite betas and it drove me nuts. When looking in the Mail.app preferences it would always say the the outgoing SMTP server for Gmail was offline (I have a personal Gmail account though not a business one). I have 2 step verification turned on for my account and what ended up fixing it was that I needed to go in a create a new app specific password. Once I did that, things started working fine again. What was strange was that there was no indication by Mail that it was my password that was causing the issue.

Deku Tree

Huh. I have two-factor as well but upgrading from the 10.9 to release version 10.10 didn't nuke my application-specific password.

I had the same problem when I was on the Yosemite betas and it drove me nuts. When looking in the Mail.app preferences it would always say the the outgoing SMTP server for Gmail was offline (I have a personal Gmail account though not a business one). I have 2 step verification turned on for my account and what ended up fixing it was that I needed to go in a create a new app specific password. Once I did that, things started working fine again. What was strange was that there was no indication by Mail that it was my password that was causing the issue.

Oh yeah I have two factor too. I'm going to try resetting my app specific password later. Thanks. Funny thing is that my app specific iOS passwords never need to be reset.

Huh. I have two-factor as well but upgrading from the 10.9 to release version 10.10 didn't nuke my application-specific password.

I'm not saying that it makes any sense, but it's what fixed it for me. I spent like a month on the beta without being able to send outgoing mail through my Gmail account in the Mail.app. I scoured Google and tons of forums looking for an answer, but no one seemed to have the same issue. Finally for the hell of it I tried setting up a new App specific password for Gmail in the Mail.app and the problem disappeared and hasn't been an issue since. Didn't have any problems with my app specific passwords in anything else, in fact I've never had to reset one on any device besides my Mac during the Mavericks to Yosemite transition.

I'm not saying that it makes any sense, but it's what fixed it for me.

I didn't meant to imply you were somehow wrong in your experience. Very surprised/appalled there was no error. My app-specific passwords ended up in my Keychain— could just be a matter of making sure that Mail's SMTP one matches the IMAP one (since they're separate records).

I didn't meant to imply you were somehow wrong in your experience. Very surprised/appalled there was no error. My app-specific passwords ended up in my Keychain— could just be a matter of making sure that Mail's SMTP one matches the IMAP one (since they're separate records).

Don't worry, I didn't think you were. What was so dumbfounding about it was that I was still receiving my incoming mail without any issues, but couldn't send outbound mail. It was like my password worked to connect to the inbound server, but wouldn't work to the SMTP outgoing. The error I would keep getting was that the SMTP server was offline, but no more details in the error message stating why it was offline. As soon as I created and entered the new password, the problem stopped.

Deku Tree

Don't worry, I didn't think you were. What was so dumbfounding about it was that I was still receiving my incoming mail without any issues, but couldn't send outbound mail. It was like my password worked to connect to the inbound server, but wouldn't work to the SMTP outgoing. The error I would keep getting was that the SMTP server was offline, but no more details in the error message stating why it was offline. As soon as I created and entered the new password, the problem stopped.

This is exactly my problem with my gmail account. I will try your solution soon.

Before setting up the new password, did you check if they were the same for incoming and outgoing? They're separate credentials, so one may have become borked. Just curious.

I didn't, quite frankly I never even thought of that as an option. I just nuked my password from the spot in the preferences to change the password for your Gmail account as a whole, created a new app specific one, and then entered it in the password field of my Gmail account in the Mail app.

Futureman

whenever I do any kind of "Open File" in Chrome... like uploading an image to a website... the "Open" dialog is way too big for my screen and the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons at the button are off the screen.

anyone have the same problem? Come to think of it, I don't think Chrome has been updated since Yosemite final release came out.

Top Bottom