• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Pistorius found guilty of culpable homicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
The poor woman locks her self in the bathroom away from this lunatic just to get murdered and now this guy possibly basically walks away from real punishment. It's such a damn shame.

No justice here man

That's the other baffling thing...why would she lock the door of the bathroom at home?

That's not baffling. I lock the bathroom door at home all the time. Lots of people do!

In the middle of the night when you live with one other person? Thing I find strange is if he had the "intruder" pinned in the tiny bathroom, why didn't he call security instead of rapidly shooting through the door?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
In the middle of the night when you live with one other person? Thing I find strange is if he had the "intruder" pinned in the tiny bathroom, why didn't he call security instead of rapidly shooting through the door?

She dumped his ass and ran to the bathroom after she felt threatened or he thought she was talking to someone and raged killed her I bet, this guy is a coward.

MJLord

The poor woman locks her self in the bathroom away from this lunatic just to get murdered and now this guy possibly basically walks away from real punishment. It's such a damn shame.

No justice here man

What's the line at real punishment? 15 years is still a pretty decent sentence in my books.

liquidtmd

Banned
If three people entered the bathroom at the critical point and saw him actually fire the gun, would the verdict have been any different based on the Judges logic and reasoning?

Mastadon

Banned
Worth taking in to account that the restaurant incident could also carry up to 5 years in prison too. I'm not sure if sentences in SA are concurrent or accumulative?

He was cleared of firing a firearm through a sunroof and of illegal possession of ammunition, but found guilty of illegally discharging a firearm in a crowded restaurant in January 2013, weeks before Steenkamp’s death.

Anyone got a good link to the details of this?

Edit:

That's the other baffling thing...why would she lock the door of the bathroom at home?

The hell is this? Some people don't like others walking in on them taking a shit.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Better than nothing, but it sounds like a lighter sentence like this was close to what the defense was going for.

Kind of frustrating.

Alienous

I can't fathom of not waking up your girlfriend if you think there's an intruder in the house. At least a shake, and a "I think there's someone in the house". It doesn't take two seconds.

Instead you get your gun, and head out to be a hero, taking the risk that you will be killed, then your barely woken girlfriend shortly after. It's like smelling smoke in your house and just going to put it out without waking the person next to you up. Why?

Its 3am. You live in a house with your one sole partner. No one else is in the house. They are asleep.

I can, however, understand locking the door if it's a habit, even if you don't need to.

Tc91

She wasn't living with him, she stayed the night cause of valentines but yeah like others have said and like the judge said.

Why didn't he either call security cause of the complex he was living on, call the cops, shout from the balcony or the simplest thing he could of done: call out to Reeva.

And he had a cricket bat along with the gun yet he decided to fire through a door, such bullshit.

liquidtmd

Banned
I can, however, understand locking the door if it's a habit, even if you don't need to.

I appreciate that. The best way I can succiently sum up my feelings is that there are 10-15 points raised by the prosecution that point to reasonable motive and deliberate action. But because theyre not beyond doubt, they are out. Im not saying its wrong legally. But it stinks.

The cliché in crime is that you need a 'smoking gun'. Theyve got that here. Still not enough. That poor girl. Culpable homicide is the best outcome he could have reasonably expected. I hope he fucking chokes on it. He will eventually get out sooner than later now, if sent down at all and the media circus will help him regain a fortune.

Footos22

There is no way in hell did he not notice she wasn't in bed next to him.
I would notice straight away if my wife was gone when i woke up.

If he heard an intruder the first thing you'd do is quietly wake her up to alert her. But nah he just walks to the bathroom door and shoots the shit out of it.

Judge must be getting paid off.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I know I'm looking at this through the lens of the American justice system, but it always boggles my mind when you read stories from foreign courts where the prosecutor/state can appeal acquittals or "not guilty" verdicts.

Jigorath

Banned

No justice here man

Well he'll get at least seven years. Probably out on parole in three. It's something.

syllogism

I know I'm looking at this through the lens of the American justice system, but it always boggles my mind when you read stories from foreign courts where the prosecutor/state can appeal acquittals or "not guilty" verdicts.
I would expect lawyers to find the differences more understandable as it's just a matter of balancing competing interests (ie. the interests of justice and the rights of the accused). Both justice systems have double jeopardy - the US interpretation of the principle is just much stricter. Should be easy to see the downsides and merits of both systems.

liquidtmd

Banned
I bet now he's not crying like a baby anymore

116092-ferris-bueller-they-bought-it-6t8X.gif

No justice here man

Except a court of law decided that this was not the case.

Justice has been administered.

You make it sound like courts are infallible. That's a mighty fine fantasy world you've got there.

Of course, we don't live in perfect world after all.

If the case is appealed and the decision reversed so be it, until then I will tend to err with the court's decision rather than speculation.

ampere

Poor Reeva.

Hopefully this goes some way to giving the Steenkamp family a sense of justice.

I feel bad for her family, but I don't know about so called 'justice'. The real issue is that the dude is insane and could do this kind of thing again. Gotta put him away to protect others

So the judge doesn't believe the intruder story.

He shot through a bathroom door 4 times???

At whom???

And with what intent???

I guess the law intereferes with common sense once again.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I still lock the bathroom door if I'm taking a dump. I don't think that's odd.

If she was taking a shit, why would she be hanging out in front of the door? Wouldn't she be on the toilet?

Let's take Oscar Pistorius's version of the story, if she really went to the bathroom to take a shit, the amount of time it would take for Pistorius to get up after waking up due to the noise of the door closing, grab his gun, get in front of the door and shoot it would be more than enough for her to get to the toilet.

liquidtmd

Banned
If she was taking a shit, why would she be hanging out in front of the door? Wouldn't she be on the toilet?

Let's take Oscar Pistorius's version of the story, if she really went to the bathroom to take a shit, the amount of time it would take for Pistorius to get up after waking up due to the noise of the door closing, grab his gun, get in front of the door and shoot it would be more than enough for her to get to the toilet.

Nope. We're expected to buy she went to the toilet, didnt flush or flushed and then waited so it wasnt audible to Pistorius becuase the timing was such that she just happened to be right by the door when the gun shots went off. He was stealthy quiet so she didnt call to say 'Who's there' and he didnt call out to say 'Who's there i've got a gun, why are you hiding in my toilet with the door locked Mr burglar. I wont wait till the door opens and I'm going to fire my gun now four times but I dont forsee death being a consequence, No sir'

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Nope. We're expected to buy she went to the toilet, didnt flush or flushed and then waited so it wasnt audible to Pistorius becuase the timing was such that she just happened to be right by the door when the gun shots went off. He was stealthy quiet so she didnt call to say 'Who's there' and he didnt call out to say 'Who's there i've got a gun, why are you hiding in my toilet with the door locked Mr burglar. I wont wait till the door opens and I'm going to fire my gun now four times but I dont forsee death being a consequence, No sir'

You've convinced me, this man should not only be set free, but give him a million dollars for the heck of it.

;)

Showaddy

Shot four times into a tiny cubicle and "didn't have an intent to kill"?

I suppose if I cluster bomb a house I don't have an intent to kill either.

It's not just about the intent to kill but the intent to kill Reeva Steenkamp. If he'd shot dead a genuine house invader he may not have even gone to court, what's important is that they couldn't prove that he planned and set out to kill his girlfriend so culpable homicide was the only option.

CrunchyB

The time has come for us to eat a big bowl of crow and apologize. We doubted Oscar Pistorius through every stage of his trial, and for what reason? Because he was born a little differently than the rest of us? Because he walks around on prosthetic legs? Because all of the evidence and common sense was stacked against him?

In retrospect, the fact that we could ever hold such a mentality is beyond sickening.

Sheer genius.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's not just about the intent to kill but the intent to kill Reeva Steenkamp. If he'd shot dead a genuine house invader he may not have even gone to court, what's important is that they couldn't prove that he planned and set out to kill his girlfriend so culpable homicide was the only option.

Again, charges of premeditated was expected to fail. Legal opinion of yesterday and todays split ruling is divided however, as some are saying Murder would have fitted in context of quite crucial parts of the Judges wrap up.

Its 3am. You live in a house with your one sole partner. No one else is in the house. They are asleep.

Nobody had that story.

The situation described was:

Its 3am. You live in a house with your one sole partner. No one else is in the house. they are pissing about on the balcony trying to move fans around with no legs, you ignore them and go to the bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom