• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otogi 2: Nobody Cares

How many people think this game will be a moderate flop?
I might pick it up regardless. I'm having a Ninja Gaiden hangover. I didn't like the first Otogi that much. Its missions felt too episodic. I felt the controls were awkward and a bit sluggish.But this is another year and I crave another game. I'm considering giving Otogi another chance.
Or, is everybody going to pass this one up?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I care but only enough to buy it when it's $20 or cheaper. Don't hate me but with all the high profile games that I'm salivating over I can't justify spending $50 on a title that I'm midly interested in. This title is an excellent example where sales would be higher if it were released after the holidays.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I care about it personally, the first game had potential and was fun. Although more than a few times, all the flash made substance and controls take the backseat.

Oh...yeah, it will probably flop. :p

Soul4ger

This will be one of the three games I buy for the Xbox through the rest of the year. I care about it, I enjoyed the first one considerably.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I was somewhat dissapointed in the controls of the first game...but it was incredibly beautiful and this one is supposed to be better on both counts. So I'll be checking it out when I have time. Is it releasing at 50 bucks? Damn.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Musashi Wins! said:
I was somewhat dissapointed in the controls of the first game...but it was incredibly beautiful and this one is supposed to be better on both counts. So I'll be checking it out when I have time. Is it releasing at 50 bucks? Damn.

Otogi 2 is coming in at $39.99.

DarienA said:
Otogi 2 is coming in at $39.99.

Should've been $29.99. This holiday season is absolutely brutal. Luckily, it does come out 10/19, which gives it a couple of weeks of breathing room.

SaitoH

I hated the first game, and it never rented, so I'm not even ordering the sequel ... nor do I care to even play it.

Damn I'm harsh ...

>_>

rastex

Banned
I'm still undecided as to when I should pick it up. I'm ridiculously busy with school and won't have time to play it until the end of the calendar year, but I really want to support the devs because I loved the original.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I still gotta get the first one. Game seems pretty interesting though. So many Xbox games to catch up and not enough money to buy em all :|

Teddman

Did they remove the "ever-decreasing life unless you constantly kill people" aspect of gameplay in Otogi 2? If not, count me among the "doesn't care" column.

aku:jiki

Teddman said:
Did they remove the "ever-decreasing life unless you constantly kill people" aspect of gameplay in Otogi 2? If not, count me among the "doesn't care" column.
It seems, now that I've played and care about the first game, that someone always brings this up if there's an Otogi thread. And I beat the first game twice, going on a third run but gave up, without even noticing that the life slowly drained. Seriously, I had no idea (as a forum search will prove!).

I don't get it. How could it possibly have posed such a huge problem for some people? It's not like there was no room for exploration as I did plenty of that, trying for 100% destruction in every level...

Rhindle

Teddman said:
I agree with that, it made the game extremely annoying.

The Otogi 2 demo didn't seem to have that, but it could have been just the demo.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
aku:jiki said:
It seems, now that I've played and care about the first game, that someone always brings this up if there's an Otogi thread. And I beat the first game twice, going on a third run but gave up, without even noticing that the life slowly drained. Seriously, I had no idea (as a forum search will prove!).

I don't get it. How could it possibly have posed such a huge problem for some people? It's not like there was no room for exploration as I did plenty of that, trying for 100% destruction in every level...

Life is slowly being drained? I thought that only happened once you're magic meter reached zero. I recall stage 25 being tough in this regard, with annoying enemies draining the magic you desperately need later during the stage. In fact, most stages with magic-draining enemies were annoying to some degree. Not really related, but damn how I hated that fucking birdman!!!!

*takes a deep breath*

Still a nice game when all is said and done. :)

I probably wont bother at least not 'til it's dirt cheap. Otogi1 just had an unsatisfactory floatiness and it's combat lacked precision and definition. The magic draining stuff was annoying.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
aku:jiki said:
Like I said -- I have no idea. Maybe the life-draining actually isn't in the PAL version?

Nah, I have the US version and life is drained only when the magic meter reaches zero. I reckon that could be the reason why you never noticed it, assuming your magic never dropped to zero.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The life drain is extremely noticeable when you start trying to unlock some of the secret swords and returning to stages for 100% completion. It can be brutal to deal with on a certain few.

Rhindle

It's not that the draining "feature" is an insurmountable problem. The annoying thing about it is that it FORCES you to rush through a level as fast as you possibly can. It's basically the same problem as with other games that use time limits as an artificial way to boost challenge.

That would be annoying in an average game. It is particularly annoying in a game as beautiful as Otogi -- where you want to be able to take the time to look around and admire the artistry of the environments, but are unable to do so because you are dead if you pause to catch your breath.

rastex

Banned
Rhindle said:
It's not that the draining "feature" is an insurmountable problem. The annoying thing about it is that it FORCES you to rush through a level as fast as you possibly can. It's basically the same problem as with other games that use time limits as an artificial way to boost challenge.

That would be annoying in an average game. It is particularly annoying in a game as beautiful as Otogi -- where you want to be able to take the time to look around and admire the artistry of the environments, but are unable to do so because you are dead if you pause to catch your breath.

On the first time through a level, yes you have to rush through. But later on in the game you get items that really make magic draining pretty insignificant, and other than enemies that drain your magic it really becomes a non-issue.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Rhindle said:

you know you can go back and revisit the level, right? with all the damage "intact?"

bloke

Otogi 2 ruined pretty much all other 3rd person action games for me this gen (except maybe Ninja Gaiden); ethereal art + destructible levels + insane effects + superpowered characters = the winner

Top Bottom