• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otomedius Excellent |OT| of TToB's Yoshizaki man-crush

OT-banner-1.png

Release Dates
Japan: April 21, 2011
United States/Canada - November 1, 2011

Editions
In addition to the regular edition of the game for $30, there is also a Special Edition for $50 which includes the game, soundtrack CD, art book and two-sided pillow case.

Box Art

otox_jpn.jpg
otox-usa.jpg

OtomediusCollectorEdition_CELG.jpg

Synopsis (ripped from Konami!)
The lovely ladies of Otomedius Gorgeous arrive in the US for the first time in Otomedius Excellent!, the highly anticipated sequel to the Japan-exclusive arcade hit! Featuring heart-pounding classic Gradius-style shoot-em-up gameplay, a dazzling array of stunning visuals, and thrilling multiplayer action, Otomedius Excellent! is sure to be the must-own shooter of the year.

Characters
Coming Soon!

Enemies
Aside from the usual assortment of generic popcorn and BIG CORE bosses, the "masterminds" behind this game? The Gofer sisters:

Gofer.jpg

YouTube? YouTube!
E3 2011 Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NZ_Dqu16xk
Opening Animation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luSgJzqHR_g
Random Gameplay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uy827_DClA

Reviews
If anything meaningful or constructive gets posted, it'll be here... eventually.

MORE TO COME!

Rarutos

Neat OT! I was actually very interested in getting this, but money issues and whatnot led me to cancel my preorder for the Special Edition. I was very depressed.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Finally.. a game that caters to my fantasy of having sex with the Vic Viper.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
kokujin said:
Going to get it, but does they have pervert things to make sales.
In Japan they do. Wierdos who are attracted to underage 2D girls spend the most money on merchandise....

In the west, its no selling point, though. I bet if Konami America could wave a wand, they'd turn it into a gritty hardcore shooter again :p

I kind of appreciate it in a silly way, though.

kiryogi

Banned
The LE for this game seems to be in some odd limbo. Amazon and Gamestop not showing it available anywhere yet . . . Even though Konami does say it's out. My amazon order said there's a delay and it should be delivered the 3rd, yet I still have gotten no shipping notice. It's a rather upsetting situation.

Sucks. I ain't got a place to write my inevitable review for.
Copy hasn't shipped either, and I went with the normal edition via Amazon.

Oh well.

kiryogi said:
The LE for this game seems to be in some odd limbo. Amazon and Gamestop not showing it available anywhere yet . . . Even though Konami does say it's out. My amazon order said there's a delay and it should be delivered the 3rd, yet I still have gotten no shipping notice. It's a rather upsetting situation.
If it help sat all, my order for he SE shipped from Amazon just a bit ago. It looks like they got stock in for the preorders and have regulars available for purchase, but anyone with the SE on preorder should have theirs shipping out soon. I distinctly remember this same thing happening when preordering Atelier Totori.

Mzo

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Sucks. I ain't got a place to write my inevitable review for.
Copy hasn't shipped either, and I went with the normal edition via Amazon.

Oh well.
Put it up as a blog in our secret place, I would read it!

C-Jo

Big props to Konami for offering a non-pillowcase version.

Also, I don't think I'll be able to believe it's actually out until the game is in my hands.

Seems weird to be asking this as I own a Japanese 360 and am used to buying all the JPN shmup releases, but is it known if the US version is region free? Enjoyed the first Otomedius but the Japanese release of this one was always too expensive for me.

manzo

It's a shame that the western world got the worse version of the 2 games. Excellent is worse than Gorgeous in every damn possible way, from graphics to the soundtrack.

maomaoIYP

manzo said:
It's a shame that the western world got the worse version of the 2 games. Excellent is worse than Gorgeous in every damn possible way, from graphics to the soundtrack.

Gorgeous isn't exactly a great game to begin with.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I don't really have anything positive to say about this, so I'll recommend some alternatives:

SlRnO.jpg
JcklO.jpg

Or better yet:

HnZdn.jpg

You'll thank me later.

Yes Boss!

Yeah, my LE just shipped from Amazon. Been a long, long wait so it is nice to finally get some closure.

Looks like it is going to be a nice month for shooters after a fallow period with this, Dodonpachi, and PAL Daifukkatsu!

It is weird to me to hear complaints about the music. With an all star lineup, there's got to be some gems, right?

Stage 4 Music: http://youtu.be/EYwX8Uh-9xE

Otomedius X (Excellent) has been delayed numerous times, but I think game music fans will find the wait worth it once they see who’s involved with the soundtrack. The series is known for taking the classic side-scrolling shooter formula and combining that with many of Konami’s most beloved franchises, and with so many franchises to cover, there’s a lot of music that needs to be composed and arranged. How much music, you ask? Around 120 tracks, with 28 different artists from all around the globe contributing to that tally.

As it turns out, our friends over at GEM Impact have been responsible for coordinating the talent for this project. With Norihiko Hibino at the helm, the 28 artists from around the world have gathered to create a true international collaboration. To name a few, GEM Impact, Unique Note, SuperSweep, and members of Basiscape appear from Japan, with Roc Chen from China, Bently Jones from the UK, and Jake Kaufman, Justin Lassen, and Jeremy Soule from the USA.

With both the Otomedius X for the Xbox 360 and the first game’s soundtrack due out on March 24, 2011, here’s hoping that Otomedius X also gets an official soundtrack release. Looking at the roster alone, I know it will be worthy of one.

Hit the jump for the full artist list.

GEM Impact

Norihiko Hibino
Takahide Ayuzawa
Takahiro Izutani
Yoshitaka Suzuki

Japan

Ayako Saso
C.I.A. (Takahiro Tashiro, Kazunari Kume, Eiji Yamaguchi)
Kenichiro Fukui x AZU
Kenichiro Fukui x LUDO
Manabu Namiki
Masakazu Sugimori
Masato Kouda
Michiru Yamane
Motoaki Furukawa
Motoi Sakuraba
Noriyuki Iwadare
Noriyuki Kamikura
Shinji Hosoe
Takeshi Arai
Tetsuya Shibata
Yoshimi Kudo
Yoshino Aoki
Yoshitaka Hirota
Yuzo Koshiro

China

Roc Chen

UK

Bentley Jones

USA

Jake Kaufman
Jeremy Soule
Justin Lassen

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/osv-exclusive-otomedius-x-artist-list-revealed/

luka said:
I don't really have anything positive to say about this, so I'll recommend some alternatives:

You'll thank me later.

Why can't we enjoy all of these things?

Just because something isn't as good as what came before it, doesn't mean it's terrible.

I mean Street Fighter 4. :|

That's not to say Otomedius will enjoy that degree of success as nostalgia for Gradius/Parodius will never be as strong as nostalgia to re-live your SF2 glory days; with input assist for your aged reflexes, free candy for getting your ass kicked, micro-cinematics, fewer spacing options than SF3, and uglier graphics than everything that came before it.

Otomedius could be fun because it's no secret that Japan is solely catering to only the hardcore with shmups these days and bullet hell can go to hell. Unless you want to make your bullet maze a pac man game. Then I might be interested.

This is why I enjoyed Trouble Witches Neo. Not the hardest of hardcore, but still a lot of damn fun.

Can't wait for my pillowcase artbook and copy to arrive.

Amazon is showing my Collector's Edition as "Shipping Soon" now. I'm also an NTSC J 360 owner, so hopefully I can actually play the game!

StarCreator said:
Amazon is showing my Collector's Edition as "Shipping Soon" now. I'm also an NTSC J 360 owner, so hopefully I can actually play the game!

I'm in the same boat. I was pissed when final fantasy 13 turned out to be region locked even in NA so I had to use my other 360 that I barely have to use -_-.

Most games in NA aren't region locked so it boggles my mind why a small minority are.

maomaoIYP

The Take Out Bandit said:

Just because something isn't as good as what came before it, doesn't mean it's terrible.

That's not to say Otomedius will enjoy that degree of success as nostalgia for Gradius/Parodius will never be as strong as nostalgia to re-live your SF2 glory days; with input assist for your aged reflexes, free candy for getting your ass kicked, micro-cinematics, fewer spacing options than SF3, and uglier graphics than everything that came before it.

Otomedius could be fun because it's no secret that Japan is solely catering to only the hardcore with shmups these days and bullet hell can go to hell. Unless you want to make your bullet maze a pac man game. Then I might be interested.

This is why I enjoyed Trouble Witches Neo. Not the hardest of hardcore, but still a lot of damn fun.

I seriously wouldn't hold my breathe if I were you. Gorgeous was a terrible terrible game. Trouble witches neo was better than it by leaps and bounds.

Wonko_C

No one's got the game yet? I got the shipping notification from Tronix earlier today but no actual "your order has shipped" as of now.

My standard edition order from Amazon is "shipping soon".

Whomever receives their "Special Edition", please post detailed picks of the contents. I might have return my standard and order the special if the artbook is decent.

Gamefly sent me this today. I don't remember adding it to my queue, but I guess I'll be playing it soon enough. Looks pretty crappy tho.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

I'm just suggesting some better games for people who haven't played them yet. That's all. ;)

But to be perfectly honest, I didn't have much fun at all with what I played in the arcades. If you can manage to wrangle some enjoyment out of it, then you're a better person than I. I don't want to shit on this thread with overbearing negativity because any shooter these days is appreciated, but settling for half-baked stuff like this is more than a little depressing.

Graphics are crisp, the front-end and presentation is very clean and nice. My womens level up at the end of a session, and this carries over. Don't know what that does yet. And it works just like Gradius... if you get hit you lose all your power-ups, but you can still hurry up and collect your options. I seem to be dying a ton. I like how it tells you the name of the song and the composer whenever the music changes. I also love how everything has been left in Japanese, with English subs.

luka said:
I'm just suggesting some better games for people who haven't played them yet. That's all. ;)

But to be perfectly honest, I didn't have much fun at all with what I played in the arcades. If you can manage to wrangle some enjoyment out of it, then you're a better person than I. I don't want to shit on this thread with overbearing negativity because any shooter these days is appreciated, but settling for half-baked stuff like this is more than a little depressing.
This also isn't the arcade game. What I've from people who played the Japanese version they improved it a lot from gorgeous and arcade.

Frankly, I don't care. It looks fun, it plays like Gradius and I have 2 Parodius games on Saturn and one on GB. I've got choices options

cj_iwakura

It's been said the 360 version really isn't much better, but I don't want to be a hater either. I tend to trust Kurt(HG101)'s opinions on these things though.

I'd probably bite if I had a 360, because even a mediocre+ shmup is better than the crap we've gotten lately.

Reluctant-Hero said:
My standard edition order from Amazon is "shipping soon".

Whomever receives their "Special Edition", please post detailed picks of the contents. I might have return my standard and order the special if the artbook is decent.

I'll post a review - hopefully tomorrow if my copy arrives before the weekend.

The artbook will be under fire for sure. I hope to hell Udung didn't find it's hackneyed way into this one too.

This game has a special edition?

In North America?

WHAAAAAAAAAAT? I should buy this. It's not another europe-only BS so I have to buy this to support giving NA more collector's editions. FFFF.

Nora Kisaragi said:
This game has a special edition?

In North America?

WHAAAAAAAAAAT? I should buy this. It's not another europe-only BS so I have to buy this to support giving NA more collector's editions. FFFF.

Artbooks and Pillowcases my dude.

81ZM50n8XOL._AA1500_.jpg

Artbooks and Pillowcases my dude.

Be that as it may I should support this so developers can't use the "collector's editions don't sell in america" arguement as an excuse to not bring them over. This is the reason i'm not getting generations, ff13-2, and some other games after-all.

luka said:

SlRnO.jpg
JcklO.jpg

Or better yet:

HnZdn.jpg

You'll thank me later.
I noticed you've listed the PS1 versions. How are the Saturn ports of the Parodiuses? (Paordii?)

Nora Kisaragi said:
Be that as it may I should support this so developers can't use the "collector's editions don't sell in america" arguement as an excuse to not bring them over. This is the reason i'm not getting generations, ff13-2, and some other games after-all.

Do it.

I did.

NO LOOKING BACK!

_dementia said:
I noticed you've listed the PS1 versions. How are the Saturn ports of the Parodiuses? (Paordii?)

Pretty awesome from what I recall. Though I'm a Saturn fanboy. :D

Top Bottom