• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otomedius Excellent |OT| of TToB's Yoshizaki man-crush

_dementia said:
Kinda OT, but I suppose this is the best place to get a response. What's the best Parodius game on Saturn?

I believe somebody responded to this the last time you asked, but since you're set to send only I can see how it got overlooked.

lolol

Saturn versions are good, the PSone versions apparently hold up rather well to it.

I prefer Sexy Parodius to Chatting, but when you get down to it, Parodius is Parodius.

hikarutilmitt said:
Yes. There are a few on there that are Level 1 cards supposedly gotten in Expert, but I already have them. Gravity, to be specific. In fact, looking at it closer I have a feeling that the Level 1 and Level 2 Gravity lasers are reversed in that list and that you don't need to be on Expert for the one.

Oh okay. Every card I have hunted so far on that list has been accurate. But I don't think he listed every possible spot for the cards. Probably just the most common. Expert isn't even hard. Just select the stage in multiplay... Grab Gesshi Hanafuuma/Nen Do Ha and a barrier. You are golden.

And were you guys aware of the charge attack? I just found out you could hold down the Y button instead of tapping for a unique special attack with each character...

CecilMcW00t said:
Oh okay. Every card I have hunted so far on that list has been accurate. But I don't think he listed every possible spot for the cards. Probably just the most common. Expert isn't even hard. Just select the stage in multiplay... Grab Gesshi Hanafuuma/Nen Do Ha and a barrier. You are golden.

And were you guys aware of the charge attack? I just found out you could hold down the Y button instead of tapping for a unique special attack with each character...

Yeah, my (mostly unsuccessful) 1CC runs so far have been Gesshi and just abusing the hell out of Nen Do Ha and barriers.

Quixzlizx

My copy of the CE arrived from Amazon last week, and it looked like someone had stomped on it. Thanks for using an envelope for a flimsy cardboard box.

This game's existence is justified by it's great remix of Aircraft Carrier. Music seems pretty good all around too.

Sakimoto still wins though. :p

I almost feel this comparison is unfair, though, if only because Gradius V has such an amazing soundtrack to begin with.

Question about the BGM pack DLC... Does it change the music for the whole game? Or just certain levels?

It looks like what they do is change the music for all stages, but just for the character pack that was bought.

Cleared Expert without dying with Arnval the other night, huzzah. Hanafuma isn't such a great choice for 1cc'ing imo cause she doesn't get options. S. Lazer and S. Missile spamage seems to work well for me with a full loadout.

orion434

A little late to the party and I'm having a blast with the game. Love the customization with finding wepon-cards. I've 1-CC's Expert with Erul Tron, not really that difficult with her. What's the deal with Hyper Anoa? Is the game supposed to be more difficult with her? I mean she has like 10 power-up slots, but 1/2 of the added weapons I'd never use so it's just harder to get to O-option and she only gets two? Is there any benefit to leveling up a character? Is it just for rank rank?

Just snagged this last week and enjoying it so far. The lack of hitboxes and abundance polygons is jarring after playing Futari for the better part of the year, but it's starting to gel nicely. Managed to 1cc Normal with Diol, but was roundly executed on Expert by the beginning of Stage 2.

Is there any hope of all of the alternate musics being bundled, or should I go ahead and just start buying them individually?

Just snagged this last week and enjoying it so far. The lack of hitboxes and abundance polygons is jarring after playing Futari for the better part of the year, but it's starting to gel nicely. Managed to 1cc Normal with Diol, but was roundly executed on Expert by the beginning of Stage 2.

Is there any hope of all of the alternate musics being bundled, or should I go ahead and just start buying them individually?

As much as I don't care for music DLC other than music games, I've been tempted to get them a few times. I'm hoping maybe there will be a pack or sale some time, because $5.50 for each pack is kinda of painful.

If they treat it anything like Castlevania Harmony of Despair, the most you can hope for is sales, a year or something from now. You might as well start buying em up now if you're wanting them.

As for my experience with it, I got it off GameFly, thinking the game will be terrible. After going through and getting all the achievements and then working on Score Attack because for a while it seemed like the best idea for getting some of the Expert Only cards and getting Exp, I'd say it's pretty okay. Kind of an unlikely guilty pleasure, really.

I got up to loop 6 on Score Attack (Expert) and killed myself off since I was excited my score was so high and I got all the later level cards, and worried my internet might disconnect and might screw up my score/replay upload. Turns out I was ranked 13 Overall with Aoba Anoa Hyper (ranked 1 with her) and one more loop I think would've put me in the top 10 (I think 8ish). It's funny though, how for the whole time I had so much trouble at the start of Loop 2 but once I got into the flow of things, it was so easy and I get to 6.

orion434

I got up to loop 6 on Score Attack (Expert) and killed myself off since I was excited my score was so high and I got all the later level cards, and worried my internet might disconnect and might screw up my score/replay upload. Turns out I was ranked 13 Overall with Aoba Anoa Hyper (ranked 1 with her) and one more loop I think would've put me in the top 10 (I think 8ish). It's funny though, how for the whole time I had so much trouble at the start of Loop 2 but once I got into the flow of things, it was so easy and I get to 6.

Can I ask what is so good about Hyper Anoa? I have to get to 1.4 million EXp with her for a weapon card and I really can't see what is good about her?

Can I ask what is so good about Hyper Anoa? I have to get to 1.4 million EXp with her for a weapon card and I really can't see what is good about her?

She's actually worse. The extra weapon slots provide two big issues: needing a lot more powerups for the same weapons as other characters, and if you accidentally activate one of those extra weapons, you'll be completely thrown off by how it works differently (and usually terribly for all my experiences). She also has the least amount of options (besides Gesshi, which you can overpower her first slot weapon that's exclusive to her). I just kept using her because 1.4 mil is over half way to max rank.

orion434

On my quest to 1000 Otomedius is coming along nicely, I've just about memorized every stage, and I acquired all Weapon Cards not associated with Leveling-up Hyper Anoa. I have 2 options to acquire the last 3 Achievements.

Play with Hyper Anoa in Multiplay on Easy - Stage 1 and loop it to 99 for something like 1.8 million EXP to acquire all weapon cards, in addition I'll also get 10 million Score Achievement. Then I'd just have to play with her until I reach 2.5 million exp.

or

Play with Hyper Anoa on Easy - Stage 1 and loop it to 99... and play until I die probably before loop 10, I really don't like playing as Hyper Anoa and just continue and play again until I reach 1.4 million EXP for the Weapon Cards. Then play as Gesshi on Easy - Stage 1 looped to 99 and get 1.8 million EXP and get score 10 million + 2.5 Million EXP.

I already have ~ 500K with Gesshi because I used her to get most of the Weapon Cards, her lv 1 weapon is just so powerful in Multiplay and you have active shields when starting on Easy and I need 1 power-up for weapon, then 3 for speed-up, then 1 + 1 to lv the weapon to lv 3, then 6 for missile and then just keep it at 4 for shield. It's much easier than playing with Hyper Anoa.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
im playing co-op offline with bro, he cannot continue....theres limited continues, but theres unlimited continues single player? ARGH, am i doing it wrong?

Wonko_C

im playing co-op offline with bro, he cannot continue....theres limited continues, but theres unlimited continues single player? ARGH, am i doing it wrong?

That's strange, he cannot continue? is he Player 1? When I played with 2 other friends we found out that as long as Player 1 was kept alive, P2 and P3 had unlimited lives, so we kept P1 alive at all costs. Let the first player power-up and try to have force field at all times.

ghibli99

This game's existence is justified by it's great remix of Aircraft Carrier. Music seems pretty good all around too.
I like that a lot! I've had this sitting on my shelf for a while... if the music in the rest of the game is like this, I think I'll enjoy at least that aspect of it. Good music has (somewhat) elevated mediocre games in the past, so I'm hoping for the best. :)

Edit: Just listened to a few more. That's it... I'm cracking this open tonight.

So there are 2 DLC Stages out. Yebisuboshi Stage and St. Gradius Academy Stage, both are 480 ms points... apiece. Wish these came with the collectors edition.

Video of Academy stage
This game looks like someone's school project. :( Bracing myself...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Isn't using continues the very definition of "playing it wrong"?

I think the beauty of arcade shooters is that there really is no wrong way to play as progression is constant regardless. How you play just determines what you get out of it in the end.

Wonko_C

Once you Force Field spam the game becomes ridiculously easy though, 1up clear on expert even without trying. But grinding for cheevos and weapons is addictive. I haven't even tried the leaderboards.

orion434

In the US version in offline co-op the 1p can not continue, and the 2nd & 3rd player have unlimited lives.

Just unlocked the Weapons Master Achievement yesterday. The hardest Weapon Card to get was VALCAN 3. You need to destroy the cannons of Dark Force's 2nd form on Stage 7 on Normal on the 2nd loop. The reason it was so difficult is that for some reason her final form only goes through 2 attack cycles instead of the usual 4? You only have 2 chances to destroy those cannons. I eventually resorted to using 2p & 3p set to Tita to use their charge attack along with my charge attack playing as Geeshi.

I just have 1.27 million EXP to go with Geeshi to 100% that should be ~ Stage 1, loop 10 - 85 on Easy. Takes about 4 - 5 hours.

I acquired 1.5 million EXP by doing Stage 1 on Easy loops 10 - 89 ( 80 runs total ) This put me at 2.7 million EXp with Gesshi and the last Achievement!

ghibli99

I just wanted to say that after almost 10 months since my last post, I finally played this tonight, and as a big fan of Konami shooters (and shooters in general), this game is pretty terrible. About the only thing is has going for it is the music, which is pretty good. Everything else, though... it's just so incredibly meh. Plus, I feel dirty playing this. Problem is that it's almost not worth selling. Bought this damn thing for $50 at launch, and it's like $15 on eBay. FTL.

shaowebb

I just wanted to say that after almost 10 months since my last post, I finally played this tonight, and as a big fan of Konami shooters (and shooters in general), this game is pretty terrible. About the only thing is has going for it is the music, which is pretty good. Everything else, though... it's just so incredibly meh. Plus, I feel dirty playing this. Problem is that it's almost not worth selling. Bought this damn thing for $50 at launch, and it's like $15 on eBay. FTL.

EDIT: NM. Just got advised I may be receiving this as a gift soon from someone who knows I collect and play shmups indiscriminately. Hurray!

Top Bottom