• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otomedius Excellent |OT| of TToB's Yoshizaki man-crush

Dambrosi

Banned
hikarutilmitt said:
This also isn't the arcade game. What I've from people who played the Japanese version they improved it a lot from gorgeous and arcade.

Frankly, I don't care. It looks fun, it plays like Gradius and I have 2 Parodius games on Saturn and one on GB. I've got choices options
Indeed, one could say that you have...multiple options.

badum-tish.jpg

In all seriousness, though, if you have a 360 (and you do if you're reading this thread), then there's so much choice in terms of shmups, from both the past and today, that you really don't have to settle for second best.
And Otomedius Excellent isn't even that.

Just buy Trouble Witches Neo! and Strania and leave this for the "sell one day on eBay for hundreds of dollars mwuuhuahahahahahahhh" pile. Protip: it's worth more if you leave the factory seal on.
Believe me, you ain't missing much :p

djplaeskool: It would have been one of my favourite PSP games, too, if the PSP's D-pad and analog nub were worth a damn. As it was? Carpal Tunnel City.

Wonko_C

Yay! my copy has shipped today!

Fake Edit: Estimated arrival time:

Monday 7th...

1OgSM.jpg

Well, Sonic Generations will keep me company this weekend, so yay. :D

luka

Loves Robotech S1
_dementia said:
I noticed you've listed the PS1 versions. How are the Saturn ports of the Parodiuses? (Paordii?)
I have them on Saturn and PSX and with the exception of the Jikkyou Oshaberi extra mode they're pretty much exactly the same. Gradius Gaiden is only on PSX though, so that gets the nod as my shooter system of choice. ;)

Wonko_C said:
Yay! my copy has shipped today!

Fake Edit: Estimated arrival time:

Monday 7th...

1OgSM.jpg

Well, Sonic Generations will keep me company this weekend, so yay. :D

Same here.

WTF?!

UPS - you have failed me again.

FOR THE LAST TIME! >:|

Dambrosi

Banned
jooey said:
Thanks, but other cretins have done the work for you.
Oh cheer up. At least it's going to be worth a lot in a scant few months.

*Signed, That Really Old Dude Who Played NES and C64 Back In The Day And Knows What A REAL Gradius Game Plays Like.

bh7812

Banned
I pre-ordered this back in July, before the date got pushed back again. Now, I'm not normally big on shoot em' ups like this, but I did make it a point to play the Parodius games and I loved those! They're just very bizarre, but very well done games with some VERY good music-especially Sexy Parodius on Saturn! Otomedius seems much more in the spirit of the Parodius games so I definitely wanted to make sure I get it. I got a call today from Gamestop saying I can pick it up tomorrow..I'll be damned it really did finally make it to it's US release. I didn't think it would honestly, figured it'd end up download only on Live. I'd be really surprised if there's any pre-orders at my GS besides mine for this game.

I do have a quick question..are there any good shoot 'em ups that are very easy, that is good for a beginner to shoot 'em ups similar to the Parodius games anyone can recommend? My skill level with shoot 'em ups is all over the place, depends on how difficult and hectic the game gets. I managed my way through the Gradius games (minus Life Force on NES) with some effort, yet had no problems with the Parodius games at their most hectic. R-Type I was ok at too. I was NOT ok at, but wish I could have gotten into Radiant Silvergun. I'd just like to check out some other, maybe lesser known shoot 'em ups that may be easy or more than fair. Something I can get through without getting terribly frustrated. Something light-hearted like Parodius or Twin Bee.

But none the less, looking forward to checking this out, just seems surreal it actually truly made it's US release after half a dozen delays.

bh7812 said:
I do have a quick question..are there any good shoot 'em ups that are very easy, that is good for a beginner to shoot 'em ups similar to the Parodius games anyone can recommend?

Gradius V's difficulty scale down pretty well.
Also, some of the Psikyo shumps tend to be a bit less stressful, like the Gunbird or Strikers series.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Dambrosi said:
Oh cheer up. At least it's going to be worth a lot in a scant few months.

*Signed, That Really Old Dude Who Played NES and C64 Back In The Day And Knows What A REAL Gradius Game Plays Like.
Look, I know you just want any opportunity to shit on the game because you're a crazy childish elitist but at least buffer it a couple of days so the OT actually has a chance to get some actual discussion going first.

bon

Hey guys I'm a shmup expert and here are some games that are better than this one:

GRADIUS
PARODIUS

These are underlooked gems that I'm sure you've never heard of or played, here in the Otomedius thread. Now I'm off to the Sonic Generations thread to recommend Sonic 1-3.

bon said:
Hey guys I'm a shmup expert and here are some games that are better than this one:

GRADIUS
PARODIUS

These are underlooked gems that I'm sure you've never heard of or played, here in the Otomedius thread. Now I'm off to the Sonic Generations thread to recommend Sonic 1-3.

What do you need anything past Sonic 1 for?

Sonic is video game Batman.

Okay on his own.

Then they went and ruined it with all his lame douche sidekicks.

NOBODY LOVES YOU TAILS/ROBIN!

Tain

My exposure with this series is, like, the first stage of Otomedius Gorgeous. Reading wikipedia, the credit structure sounds funky as hell in that game (three stages with one credit regardless of lives).

How is this game laid out? I see that it's not an arcade port; is there some kind of focused 20-30 minute arcade mode free of any character upgrading/unlocking BS? There's a super remote chance that I'll give this game a shot, if so.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
bon said:

GRADIUS
PARODIUS

*cough* Gradius Gaiden IS an overlooked gem, and the best game in the series, but whatever ¬_¬

also, thatsthejoke.gif

edit - honestly i'll just take any available opportunity to whore out my love for gradius gaiden. so good <3

Sooooooo many cheap deaths!

I hope once I learn the levels I can avoid all this shit. I mean, enemies "warping in" all over the screen at random? Hopefully it isn't random and I can learn the pattern.

Some of the enemy lasers are hard to see too.

And PLEASE can someone tell me what the hell is the womens hitbox? Where is it and how big? I can't even tell.

Erekiddo

My copy arrived today. Either I'm playing this game wrong, or this is perhaps one of the most difficult shooters I've played. :|

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Sooooooo many cheap deaths!

I hope once I learn the levels I can avoid all this shit. I mean, enemies "warping in" all over the screen at random? Hopefully it isn't random and I can learn the pattern.

Some of the enemy lasers are hard to see too.

And PLEASE can someone tell me what the hell is the womens hitbox? Where is it and how big? I can't even tell.

This so hard. I'm used to dodging stuff in side view shooters by weaving through horizontally most of the time. But, in this game I have to dodge almost everything vertically because of the silly shaped hitbox.

What are the recommended weapons for "Shooting the Core!"? These bosses aren't even hard, just friggin' annoying! I ended up equipping Gravity II onto Vic Viper so I can easily dispatch the first few before they run away. But the
boss rush in stage 5
totally made that weapon obsolete. I had Double II equipped but it was doing enough damage in time. Trying to line up shots was never this difficult in any of the other Gradius/Parodius games. I wish I could equip both Laser and Gravity...

So after playing it for a good couple of hours: I love it. I don't quite understand the hate it gets, but whatever. It's actually fun and isn't punishingly difficult like G3 arcade or easy as Gradius Gaiden. It feels like it's maybe around G4 or G5 (moreso the latter thanks to Salamander-like instant respawn). I've already had 2 of the bosses run from me, though (serpent core and OLD BIG CORE).

Love the music. Graphics serve their purpose. Controls are great. Gesshi Hanafuuma is AWESOME. I could see myself getting a 1000 on this.

hikarutilmitt said:
Love the music. Graphics serve their purpose. Controls are great. Gesshi Hanafuuma is AWESOME. I could see myself getting a 1000 on this.

Me too! The music is excellent. I love the Mokoi Sakuraba tracks. He went back to his old Sol Deace/Feace days for this one! Same style.

Yes Boss!

Ah cool. Thanks for the photos of the LE package! That looks nifty with the metallic cover.

So much negativity :-( These games are cool for what they are.

kiryogi

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
Ah cool. Thanks for the photos of the LE package! That looks nifty with the metallic cover.

So much negativity :-( These games are cool for what they are.

It is pretty neat. Metallic and embossed, at least on the words Otomedius.

Ramune

For those stating it's hard, it seems the US version comes preloaded with the balance patch the Japanese version got in Sept. Enemies have more HP, added sound effects, Hanafuuma got adjusted so that she doesn't suck, among other fixes!

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what, but the weapons seem really unbalanced when it comes to taking down bosses. Many of them take way too long on the default weapon, even with lasers. But Madoka's "Valkan" can wreck right through most of them...except Ryutsokokki, whose core is so damned tiny that I can't beat her without timing out. My first run through the game resulted in like half of the bosses timing out because they just have too much damn HP.

On the other hand, at least the game isn't boring and empty like the first one. So it has that going for it.

discoalucard said:
I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what, but the weapons seem really unbalanced when it comes to taking down bosses. Many of them take way too long on the default weapon, even with lasers. But Madoka's "Valkan" can wreck right through most of them...except Ryutsokokki, whose core is so damned tiny that I can't beat her without timing out. My first run through the game resulted in like half of the bosses timing out because they just have too much damn HP.

On the other hand, at least the game isn't boring and empty like the first one. So it has that going for it.
Yeah, so far I've had two bosses that I simply cannot destroy outright: Serpent Core (Ryutsokokki) and OLD BIG CORE, but I was just not positioning myself well on the latter. I think I almost managed to kill SC by using the dagger since it just chews through, but there are better laser options, IMO, in other girls. The furthest I've gotten in the game was a level or two past OBC and that was once each with Madoka and Gesshi (I don't continue).

Hmm... maybe I should actually credit feed it just to get more cards.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
I've heard it might be printed on your receipt? I don't know for certain, I got it through Amazon.

Okay, so has anyone found any ways to get more cards much? I did a credit-feeding run with Gesshi just to see the rest of the game (sans ending) and got a few more, but not a lot. Best I've done in one credit, so far, is to get to the speed run stage before I eat a wall.

ghibli99

Got mine... a second time, after having to return it for a non-mutilated copy. Not sure why Amazon ships LEs in padded mailers. Had to do the same with Forza 4. :(

Haven't tried this yet... admittedly, I'm not all that excited about it, but felt compelled to support Konami for actually bringing this out in the US w/ an LE. Thanks for that!

This is well and truly one of the worst shmups I've played in some time. Like 1942 Joint Strike is better than this.

I wasn't expecting that much from it, after the last one and all the japanese impressions.

Not understanding how people even find this passable, to be honest. I'm not even going to bother with a 1CC.

I'll give it another run or two to see if it clicks but after two hours so far I'm extremely disappointed by it.

Wonko_C

Did this game Spaark Bombaaaa or what? Barely 200+ people on the leaderboards, LOL. I know that's not representative of how many people actually bought it but, it makes me curious.

Actually, I'm going to finish story mode with every character first before tackling score attack, maybe a lot of people are doing the same.

Kokoro Belmont is up for 400 spacebucks along with a few character specific music packs running at 440 each ...who pays for those when you can just make a custom soundtrack?

CecilMcW00t said:
That spreadsheet is a good place to start! I'm only wondering about it, though, because there are a few cards on there that say Expert and some specific level, but I have the card and most certainly have not played on expert.

Is it possible that the card locations were changed in the balance patch or maybe even our localization?

CecilMcW00t said:
Was the card you got in Story Mode the same power level as the one that drops on Expert?
Yes. There are a few on there that are Level 1 cards supposedly gotten in Expert, but I already have them. Gravity, to be specific. In fact, looking at it closer I have a feeling that the Level 1 and Level 2 Gravity lasers are reversed in that list and that you don't need to be on Expert for the one.

Man - I don't know which thread has more negativity, this one or the KoF13 thread? :p

Unfortunately I still haven't cracked the seal on my copy. Too stressed / Too busy. Balls.

Top Bottom