• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Still Wakes the Deep | Review Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Are we allowed subtitles? 😄

The subtitles are in Scottish Gaelic :p

The language remains in 'English', but they use a lot of Scottish quips in the dialogue, and when you have English subtitles, the game is nice enough to give out plain-english subtitles for moments like that.

If you're aiming for 100%, well worth doing 2 runs and save changing the language for the second. Get all the notes etc you can find in the first so you know as much of the story. Without needing to collect things and just following the story objective marker through and through, you can beat it in around 2 hours.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Christ that looks excellent, like many others have mentioned an oil rig is a criminally underused location for these sort of games/shows, tempted to splurge
Those shots convinced me to play it this week. It’s only 4-6 hours which is a perfect slice of fun.

bender

What time is it?
Finally acclimated to the accents which reminds me of when I read Trainspotting (thank God they had a glossary of terms in that book). With the way this game hands out achievements, it's going to take me weeks to finish. haha

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I hate this game so much. I find it incredibly boring and I'm having a hard time staying motivated even though it's supposed to be quite short. 3.5/10 so far.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Seriously, just buy the fucking game and support devs making great games like this. Fuck Microsoft and their subscription bullshit.

Anyway, game is fantastic and I’m happy to have purchased the game to support the devs to help them fund more classics like this.

Homer Simpson Wow GIF by Justin

havoc00

Seriously, just buy the fucking game and support devs making great games like this. Fuck Microsoft and their subscription bullshit.

Anyway, game is fantastic and I’m happy to have purchased the game to support the devs to help them fund more classics like this.
If it wasnt for GP I would have neve knew this game existed

BigLee74

I’m happy to buy an Xbox and subscribe to Gamepass so I can play games like this and MS can support devs by giving them a big up front cheque.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Completed it mate. Good length, all killer and no filler. Was sad when
our boy Roy dies
and
listening to Brodie on the phone at the end

With all the stupid bullshit DEI shite around, it was nice to see a game about some honest nobody working class men.

All the characters were real and the dialogue and banter was 100% accurate to the kind of folk on the estates and in the flats.

Will be thinking about this game long after playing it.

I award it 4 pints of stout out of 4 pints.

Last edited:

Umbral

Looking forward to this, this review from Checkpoint gaming "but when horror as a genre is moving in some seriously impressive and unique directions, Still Wakes the Deep feels a little bit stuck in the past. What horror games are moving the genre forward exactly?
Amnesia: The Bunker

Roberts

+1. Imo too many people slept on this game, it's fantastic. If you guys liked Still Wakes The Deep and haven't played The Bunker - you're missing out
I was onboard with The Bunker for quite a while but then I ran away from you-know-who, hid under the table in some deadend room with only one exit and it decided to stay there so I couldn't leave. Waited for what seems like an eternity and then decided to uninstall the game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
+1. Imo too many people slept on this game, it's fantastic. If you guys liked Still Wakes The Deep and haven't played The Bunker - you're missing out

I literally came into this thread because while o finished this day 1 I felt it was missing something compared to say Soma which is the same style of game but just better...

And

Amnesia: The Bunker

Like this game is in a class of its own, it's like a much better Alien Isolation that doesn't overstay its welcome and is mechanically superior.

The Bunker will always be my go to suggestion for small scale horror. This was enjoyable, but I never found it scary... I guess I'm just too used to The Thing to find what they did here scary, the giant head monster made me laugh actually... like from a design stand point I just found it funny. I think the best is the vent chase people have mentioned, probably because he looked the most human, giant meat balls just arnt scary.

Solid 7/10 but most of that is the stella characters, voice work and location... the game itself as just a walking sim is too on rails with very little to do outside of the set path, I feel like if they had expended it with more optional paths and secrets it would be a much better title.

calistan

Uninstalled it in a rage during the scene where you're crossing the deck of the rig while hiding from a big monster thing. There's a scene where you drop and break some crates, and you're clearly meant to run like hell towards the next hiding place, but the monster got me five or six times in a row. Respawn, die, repeat. GTFO my hard drive!

Before that I found that the melting film 'danger' effect made it hard to navigate, particularly in the dark, so it wasn't a difficult decision to abandon this one.

Umbral

What's it doing to move the genre forward though?
Blending immersive sim gameplay with horror along with a touch of randomness in item placement to make the game replayable and slightly different each time through.

It might have the most difficulty customization options I’ve seen in a game. I’m really excited for what Frictional decides to do next. The Bunker was top shelf.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Completed it mate. Good length, all killer and no filler. Was sad when
our boy Roy dies
and
listening to Brodie on the phone at the end

With all the stupid bullshit DEI shite around, it was nice to see a game about some honest nobody working class men.

All the characters were real and the dialogue and banter was 100% accurate to the kind of folk on the estates and in the flats.

Will be thinking about this game long after playing it.

I award it 4 pints of stout out of 4 pints.

Sums up my thoughts just about perfectly.
Great game. Just the perfect length too for its setting and gameplay. Amazing voice acting. Game is Dripping with atmosphere.

Buy it lads!

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Perfect title if you're into The Chinese Room storytelling and love Everybody's Gone to the Rapture as much as I do.

The visuals (terrific use of UE5 by a small dedicated team), the atmosphere and the voiceover are top-notch. I'm no scottish, but the true thick accents are sublime, even though I've relied on subtitles a bit much more than I've liked. Horror is surprisingly effective and very true to Carpenter's spirit too. Plus really love the familiar bittersweet tastre in the story. If you know - you know.
IwTJINH.jpeg
WID0sbY.jpeg
gQ7bICR.jpeg

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

I just finished it last night and it was great, I loved it. The acting was good, visuals are good too, the look back button is great, I was expecting some strange sea creature like DeepStar Six but it was good fun.

MacReady13

Finished it yesterday. Really enjoyed it. Perfect length. Didn't outstay it's welcome. Good story. Good characters. Amazing graphics and the atmosphere was on point. Well worth buying this game to support these devs. 4 out of 5 for me.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
This is definitely one of those titles where I really don't understand at all how it landed at a 73 on Metacritic.

If I hadn't known the review average i would've guessed this would be sitting in the mid-to-high 80s.

MacReady13

This is definitely one of those titles where I really don't understand at all how it landed at a 73 on Metacritic.

If I hadn't known the review average i would've guessed this would be sitting in the mid-to-high 80s.
It deserves to be in the mid 80's for sure. Critics today are fucked. Where was the diversity in this game??? That may have lowered the score somewhat.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

STILL WAKES THE DEEP IS THE CHINESE ROOM’S ABSURDIST HORROR MASTERPIECE

When I saw trailers, I was excited for a lovecraftian horror game by Dear Esther makers The Chinese Room set on an oil rig in the 1970s. When I played it I immediately wanted to talk about it. Now, 2 months later, I ended up with this gargantuan beast of a video. Clearly this game woke something in me that was slumbering deep.
So buckle up.

Chapters
00:00:00 Intro
00:11:03 Die Hard on an Oil Rig
00:33:12 Cronenbergian
00:45:26 We Never Had A Chance
00:56:36 A Dear Esther Anecdote
01:04:11 The Taboo
01:14:25 Epilogue
01:17:53 Credits

Just dropping in to say I freaking loved the game, the characters, the setting, the vibe of it all. My kinda game for sure. The Thing meets Underwater. Need more!

Top Bottom