• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outerra |OT| woah

Wow look so good but what kind of monster PC do I need to run this...

LIt0965.gif

I'm on my phone and thought this was in-engine until I realized that was Julie Andrews

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any way to force it to download everything? :p

Probably not, and not sure you want to dl 200 GB for a single game since you would download high res textures of EVERY PLACE ON EARTH :p

I'm on my phone and thought this was in-engine until I realized that was Julie Andrews

Haha, the background could very well be ingame, didnt even notice that.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
But I have like 2.5 TB free!

But my monthly limit is 200GB :(

I have 50GB free, but no limit.

The second part of my screenshots earlier where I toyed around with the road tool:

Start of the road:
Trucking Along:
Driving across this hill... o.o
o_O
...slope from above:
TRUCKING DOWN:
Screenshotting that while driving was a bit tricky:
End of trucking:

bj00rn_

Banned
I payed the dev 15 dollars in Kickstarter-style for this one. I was running it pretty much maxed out, and while it was cool for a couple of minutes it quickly died when you start notice all the limitations and flaws. But, yeah, cool enough for a interactive demo. There's a rough-around-the-edges "flight-simulator" in there as well.

Ah yeah, I forgot, I cannot find my login information to get into this again.. Oh well

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
not trying to troll or anything, but why is this significantly different from playing around with google earth?
is it just because of the much better graphics or is there some other appeal I'm missing?

Toma

not trying to troll or anything, but why is this significantly different from playing around with google earth?
is it just because of the much better graphics or is there some other appeal I'm missing?

well, it obviously looks better and zooming works better as well. it's just an overall more impressive execution if you just mean to zoom around.
additionally, as someone already stated, you can also use this as a sort of flight simulator, build your own buildings and roads (create your own world if you so desire) and they are currently adding even more physics stuff. you have also huge control over lighting conditions, longitude, fog/water, facts and levels and multiple other settings to make really nice screen shots.
of course it's a sandbox but saying it's nothing more than google maps is doing it a lot of disservice (gmaps is awesome though and has some features that obviously are not included in outerra)
outerra/anteworld is an engine tech demo and a pretty nice sandbox, though hardly a game. i hope i made that clear in die OP, but you guys really should check it out.

Toma

I payed the dev 15 dollars in Kickstarter-style for this one. I was running it pretty much maxed out, and while it was cool for a couple of minutes it quickly died when you start notice all the limitations and flaws. But, yeah, cool enough for a interactive demo. There's a rough-around-the-edges "flight-simulator" in there as well.

Ah yeah, I forgot, I cannot find my login information to get into this again.. Oh well
Pity, apparently they added more stuff and improvements. You could just try the demo again, which offers everything except building and road building.

SLV

Infinity: The Quest for Earth. There are a few others as well looking to the same thing. There's one guy with a decent demo of his engine and he was a former programmer of some well known dev. Like most though I don't think he has shown anything in quite some time. The infinity people though I think are looking to do a Kickstarter.

Edit: the other game is Rodina by Brendan Anthony, formerly of Bethesda. Actually had quite a few new vids including one from two weeks ago.

yeah that was it, thanks !

Bit-Bit

I always dream of a game that allows you to fly around like Superman and allow you to land anywhere on Earth. How is the flying in this game?

sn00zer

As impressive as the tech is...it is literally a humongous empty space....now...filling it with user generated content...taht might be interesting....

As impressive as the tech is...it is literally a humongous empty space....now...filling it with user generated content...taht might be interesting....

Minecraft 'mmo' (mmo, not mmorpg, just massive multiplayer online) in this engine :drool

This engine would be unreal in a flight sim, the sheer amount of trees and the amazing lighting and terrain make it a feast for the eyes.

Jac_Solar

Off topic, what was that game/engine that had a similar theme, but it featured the ability to seamlessly fly a small space ship in orbit, on the surface etc etc, without any loading whatsoever, much like this but different i guess ?

You're probably thinking of Infinity, as someone else replied with, but if you're interested in that kind of stuff, you should also check out Evochron Mercenary. It features seamless space to planet landings, along with some content on the planet like buildings/cities. I think you can mine as well, but I'm not sure.

The developer spoke about implementing mechs and the like, and it sounds like it's already in the game, but I'm not sure (I haven't played it in a long time.). It's a massive game, you can build your own spacestations (And ships, I think.), play online multiplayer, etc. There are loads and loads of planets as well. (Randomly/procedurally generated.)

http://mercenary.junholt.se/ map of the Evochron Mercenary systems

Great job on the Outerra topic by the way.

Toma

I always dream of a game that allows you to fly around like Superman and allow you to land anywhere on Earth. How is the flying in this game?

You should just try the demo. I really enjoy zooming around the landscapes.

True, currently its "only" sandbox-type of experience and I see how that might not appeal to everyone. However, the world isnt really "empty". There are still many nice things to explore and see if you are just in the mood to see the terrain created by the engine.

Minecraft 'mmo' (mmo, not mmorpg, just massive multiplayer online) in this engine :drool

This engine would be unreal in a flight sim, the sheer amount of trees and the amazing lighting and terrain make it a feast for the eyes.

Yeah, I think the flight sim genre is probably the closest to being realized. You already got a light flight mode in the game with the plane you can fly. You basically just need some more intricate controls, flight stick movement and some more airports to have a rudimentary, but working flight sim. Currently, they are only two people so they are more focussing on the engine. I really hope they expand their project at one point.

Salsa

this needs to be the next minecraft-like thing

come on world

cant wait till this inevitably hits the internet

Toma

There is somewhere on the forums. Think it was 4 gigs.

Found it! Its a torrent download, 12gb:
http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=645.0

this needs to be the next minecraft-like thing

come on world

cant wait till this inevitably hits the internet

The project is a few years old, I am very surprised it hasnt gotten more attention by now. But yeah, a bigger community creating cities on earth or people writing real games (like the aforementioned flight sim) would be amazing.

Toma

New update out, maybe helping the guy earlier who had an issue:

Version 0.7.13.3519 (16 Feb 2013)

workaround for driver crash with Catalyst 13.2 beta drivers

Toma

Has anyone found out how to import 3d Models? I tried to use these:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=730b36640fd2cd0e8b28bba0bc248054

... which results in:

Apparently for Outerra you need Collada files, but even with those its not showing up properly. Jpg is not supported as texture format, so I converted the jpg's into dds files (the building on the left)

I am still apparently missing something here.. guess I'll try understanding how these files work from the ground up first. *downloads sketchup*

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Toma, I value your gaming-recommendations quite heavily. First SpaceChem, then FTL. With great power comes, something I've forgot. I'll probably give the demo a try what with my brokeass.

Toma

Toma, I value your gaming-recommendations quite heavily. First SpaceChem, then FTL. With great power comes, something I've forgot. I'll probably give the demo a try what with my brokeass.

Haha, well its not really a game and more a sandbox tech demo kind of thing. I think it has a lot of potential and currently works pretty nicely as a tool to space out and relax. But if nothing else, people should definitely try the demo. I mean its free and hard not ro recommend for free.

Toma

Everybody stop....everybody stop...listen

Superman game.....now....please.

You said stop and everybody stopped posting. Boo you.

On another note by a mod over there:

I think this calls for an entirely separate website for model hosting for outerra. That time is coming, and that right soon.

Toma

No one else taking some screenshots? Would love to see what you guys are exploring or like looking at.

And I cant wait to have more ingame models to toy around with :)

Someone was working on a modern day tank sim for this engine. I think it was in one of the 'Flare path' columns over at RPS.

Toma

Toma

That looks more like a rendering engine than a game. Outerra is made to be a game with an existing physics engine etc. Terragen looks great though, apparently not available for the broader public though if I see that right.

Frosted

That looks more like a rendering engine than a game. Outerra is made to be a game with an existing physics engine etc. Terragen looks great though, apparently not available for the broader public though if I see that right.

I see now. Thanks.

DocSeuss

Anyone can buy Terragen. Basically, it exists to generate terrain and pictures. You can use it, for instance, to make backdrops for renders. Some people try to use it to create heightmaps.

Toma

Anyone can buy Terragen. Basically, it exists to generate terrain and pictures. You can use it, for instance, to make backdrops for renders. Some people try to use it to create heightmaps.

Ah sorry, I wasnt clear enough. I was saying for "broader public" and by that I meant "affordable" as in "Game prices". Outerra is 15$ or something whereas Terragen2 is at least 299$.

But yeah, they are different for the purpose still. Terragen is not and probably never will be a game engine from what I am reading there.

Toma

Latest Updates:

Version 0.7.14.3624 (8 Apr 2013)
workaround for AMD texture_buffer memory leak bug
new dirt textures by Kelvin
fixed controls ui tabs
better pos/rot extrapolation for aircraft
fixed fixed vehicle state when init_chassis fails
added water scattering rgb components

Version 0.7.14.3614
futuristic weapon firing in ufo and fps mode on mouse click, length of the button press determines the power and size of the resulting crater
FPS mode (key
OSM map (key M)
updated textures by Kelvin Richardson
camera returns back to vehicle after exiting menu
fixed cfg/cam file corruption on driver crash
fixed memory leak with forests
bloom enabled by default
importer fixes
updated libraries

A little confused, Anteworld is the only thing availble to download. Is this indeed what I should download? Also only 200 mbs or so, where above people were mentioning the full thing could get to over 200 gb. How do I download these packs?

Toma

A little confused, Anteworld is the only thing availble to download. Is this indeed what I should download? Also only 200 mbs or so, where above people were mentioning the full thing could get to over 200 gb. How do I download these packs?
Yeah, Anteworld is the thing you should download. Apparently the "normal" full version isn't 200gb, but there is a possibility to download all the files that are usually streamed to your PC. I think it's linked somewhere here, if not, you will find it on their forums. You can still dl more texture packs from their forums btw, for higher res versions of earth etc.

Blizzard

Banned
Since I presumably never bought this, Rift support is going to push me over the edge.

But, I'm a bit confused. I see the free Outerra demo, and I see that apparently the full/paid version is called Anteworld. Where do I go to buy/upgrade/whatever?

Toma

Since I presumably never bought this, Rift support is going to push me over the edge.

But, I'm a bit confused. I see the free Outerra demo, and I see that apparently the full/paid version is called Anteworld. Where do I go to buy/upgrade/whatever?

I think you can do that from the Outerra Demo launcher which links you to the store website.

beast786

Just tried it with rift. Pretty awesome. Unfortunately the resolution of rift is limiting the amazing experience.

I used 360 controller with setting on max. But , like i have said the resolution of rift is the bottleneck.

The native without OR looks stunning though.

Had a real great time. The 3-D is good but it is really impactful when around or inside building or close to land.

Toma

Just tried it with rift. Pretty awesome. Unfortunately the resolution of rift is limiting the amazing experience.

I used 360 controller with setting on max. But , like i have said the resolution of rift is the bottleneck.

The native without OR looks stunning though.

Had a real great time. The 3-D is good but it is really impactful when around or inside building or close to land.

Really seems like there is a dire need for Rift 2.0, which is a shame considering the awesome concept of the thing. I'd love to check it out, but considering people report these resolution issues, I will probably indeed wait 2-3 years instead of grabbing it this year as planned.

But thanks for the impressions on Outerra with it! I was honestly curious.

Top Bottom