• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outrun 2 Demo, slight issues.

Pug

Now this maybe just me but I've been playing the demo for a couple of days now and although its a fairly limited demo its still great fun. However when compared to the arcade game the power sliding seems to be a bit off. It maybe due to using a wheel over the joypad but the sliding technique in the demo is so easy to pull off that on certain corners which dont require a slide, you do so accidentally quite easily. Its probably just requires me playing the game slightly differently from the acrade version. By the graphically its all very nice, the shadows from the other cars are a bit jaggy and the reflections are running at a lower frame rate but besides that it looks fantastic and all the speed has been converted.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Yes. You can't do a full steer with the controller. It's limited. You need a steering wheel unfortunately. A guy who works here pointed that out.

Pug

Well I suspose at least it makes the gameplay marginally different from the arcade version.

Trojan X

Banned
I've been playing it very strongly and no it's no off. Also think about it how can it be off it's the same code as the arcade original remember? By all means though yes it IS better with a steering wheel but the analogue calibration is very well set.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The demo is fun but it's short, only contains 3 'tracks' though. It has Xbox Live though, to upload your scores

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Pug said:
Now this maybe just me but I've been playing the demo for a couple of days now and although its a fairly limited demo its still great fun. However when compared to the arcade game the power sliding seems to be a bit off. It maybe due to using a wheel over the joypad but the sliding technique in the demo is so easy to pull off that on certain corners which dont require a slide, you do so accidentally quite easily. Its probably just requires me playing the game slightly differently from the acrade version. By the graphically its all very nice, the shadows from the other cars are a bit jaggy and the reflections are running at a lower frame rate but besides that it looks fantastic and all the speed has been converted.

Shame on you for not visiting the Gamefaqs board. I'll forgive you just this once...

Q00 said:
Darthsol, just one question from me, regarding the handling,

i found the handling of the Xbox version very very different to the arcade, wondering have you done any tweaking to the handling since that demo, anyway what i mean by very sensitive was i found it hard to keep a nice line on each stage, it was even hard to keep the car near the edge of the road, in the arcade its a easy task

but after playing the demo, its a well done job anyway, i can understand that it is hard to get the handling right and all that

Darthsol said:
Qoo,

I think the handling has remained pretty consistant since we did the demo, we spent quite a while with AM2 sorting this out, and went with their feedback on it. Bear in mind the difference in travel between a wheel and a stick though, only a slight movement on the stick would be quite a bit more on a wheel...

It is a bit tricky at first, but believe me, once you stick a bit of practice in, it becomes second nature.

isamu said:
Well, whether the game supports FF or not...I *WILL* be using a steering wheel to play it. I REFUSE to play racing games with a gamepad or analog stick.

It'll probably be either the Thrustmaster Modena or the Mad Catz wheel. I'm glad you guys are looking out for us wheel users Sol. But lemme ask you....

Will the limited range the Xbox pad's analog stick have an affect on the more *wider* range of a steering wheel? In other words, when turning left and right with the Thrustmaster wheel, will it suffer from too much sensitivity or the same limited range of movement that the Xbox analog stick has? Or did you guys take a whole different approach to this type of controller and tweaked the handling to accomodate for us wheel users?

Darthsol said:
So far as I know (and I've not been involved with the wheels) we've put in specific profiles and settings for wheel controllers.

I'll be in tomorrow and there is a number of wheels lying around, since I am in a good mood, I'll plug one in and let you know :)

*Gamefaqs thread*

Bottomline...if you want the arcade handling and controls, you MUST go out and buy an Xbox wheel...preferably the Mad Catz MC2 steering wheel or the Thrustmaster Modena wheel. Unlike say, RalliSport Challenge 2, Sumo Digital is looking out for us wheel lovers, and making the game with our best intentions in mind.

Top Bottom