• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OutRun 2 is just Magical! (got the demo!) Might we see OutRun 3 on Xenon?

GigaDrive

Banned
God, I swear, some of the 'old Sega goodness' is present within OutRun 2. I can feel some of it shining through while playing the demo of Sumo Digital's Xbox port of AM2's Chihiro masterpiece.

I had the most fun time I've ever had on Xbox LIVE last night, playing with 15 or maybe 20 other gamers, over the course of the evening. I had several memorable sessions where I was yackin' it up talking SEGA and gaming in general, while racing the 3-stage demo. it was awesome. I was able to race and hold a good conversation at the same time. I put Xbox Live's audio through the speakers instead of the communicater. seems better that way. gawd I cannot wait until the release of the full game around Oct 25th. holy shit this is gonna be fun.

but anyway, about the subject of my post... can I dream of OutRun 3 on Xenon ? I think Sega should possibly forget their new PowerVR based arcade board and go directly to Chihiro 2 ~ Xenon hardware. what could NAOMI 3 offer that Xenon won't have? deferred rendering? so what, the Chihiro already has more fillrate than NAOMI 2. I don't see the advantage of PowerVR anymore, that is, unless Series 5 is an absolute masterstroke.

I dearly hope Sega AM2 conciders making OutRun 3, or perhaps Turbo OutRun 2,
or even OutRunners 2 for a nextgen arcade platform, be it Xenon based or
otherwise. then have SD port it over to Xenon, Revolution and PS3. I'd like the
same thing to happen with Daytona USA 3 and, dare I say it, Scud Race 2. not to
mention Sega Rally 3 (hopefully still in the works dispite SR2K5 on PS2).

about the port quality of OutRun 2, I can't see any differences other than loading time. the Chihiro has 128 MB of RAM, maybe 512 MB in the case of OutRun 2. yet I have not noticed any sacrifices with the Xbox version. now, with NAOMI games, I could see a difference in texture quality/res, but not so with OutRun 2. are my eyes missing something with Xbox OutRun 2?

anyway, buuuuuyyyyy OutRun 2 and get at least two friends to do so as well. having OutRun 2 do well is more important to me than the upcoming worthless presidental election. i'm dead serious.

:D

segasonic

this is the best Sega game in ages

enjoy this as much as you can, because Sega is rapidly going down the shithole since Sammy bought them

GigaDrive

Banned
I am sure we will see at least a few more masterpieces from Sega here and there, even *if* they are sinking into hole that they will never climb out of. maybe AM2 and Sonic Team will riot / revolt :D

Bebpo

Banned
segasonic said:
this is the best Sega game in ages

enjoy this as much as you can, because Sega is rapidly going down the shithole since Sammy bought them

Errr, I don't think Sammy changed much. Sega has been rapidly going down hill for like 2-3 years (or 4-5 years depending on what you think of this gens Sega games) and the Sammy deal doesn't seem to effect their downfall much.

segasonic

That's not true. In the first two years after abandoning DC, their output of quality games was just as high as before.

Most people didn't realize that, because they didn't have all the consoles.

Bebpo

Banned
segasonic said:
That's not true. In the first two years after abandoning DC, their output of quality games was just as high as before.

Most people didn't realize that, because they didn't have all the consoles.

PDO, GV, SMB all came out years ago. Sammy only bought them recently so there's still a big gap between when Sega stopped making good games and started falling to pieces and when Sammy picked them up.

Unless you're counting the time when they were making games like Gungrave and Sonic Heroes as Sega still being in top form? =P

Warrior

Banned
I also have the demo and love it.

AM2 are the best Sega dev house...by far. (Props to Sumo for the OR2 port.)

I can't wait to play the final games of OutRun 2 and Virtua Fighter 4: Final Tuned. :)

segasonic

Bebpo said:
PDO, GV, SMB all came out years ago. Sammy only bought them recently so there's still a big gap between when Sega stopped making good games and started falling to pieces and when Sammy picked them up.

Unless you're counting the time when they were making games like Gungrave and Sonic Heroes as Sega still being in top form? =P
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2
JSRF
Virtua Fighter 4 + Evo
HOTD3
Sega GT 2002
Beach Spikers (Multiplayer)
Shinobi
PSO Ep. I&II

Sonic Heroes is about the same quality as Sonic Adventure 2

Gungrave was made by Red Entertainment

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
For SEGA to have more control over their lead arcade technology for negotiating cost and configuration (being able to build a flexible solution that can run multiple chips together when they want to expand, for example), the system design must come from them and not from some console-derived architecture. SEGA will still likely make console-based boards out of some of the next generation systems, too, for specific projects.

If PowerVR's efficiency allows more performance per silicon area, that would still be useful now as it was then. And, actually, the benefit from efficiency becomes more pronounced the closer chips reach physical limitations since the lesser designed chips can't cover for their inefficiencies by sucking up more power or using more space. Hard to tell where PowerVR stands at this point, but they're on top of the game if their mobile solutions are any indication. It's the job of SEGA's engineers to research the best technologies available for licensing just as they always have for their systems, and they evidently believe PowerVR is still best.

An OutRun 3 would come home to Xenon or whatever system(s) the same way it did this time: a party involved (SEGA Europe, MS) thought it worth the effort and took the initiative to see about a port. The chances for that will be higher if SEGA and MS get positive results from the publishing of OutRun 2.

people on the IGN board are bashing it left and right saying it aint for $40. I think I'm gonna try the demo first. That might even be enough for my outrun fix..

Saturnman

Banned
Suerte said:
Not really that simple, otherwise we would have seen Virtua Cop 3 as well if it was.

No, it is pretty much that simple. The similar hardware makes porting easy, marketibility in the home market is what prevents for VC3 to make the same jump as Outrun 2.

You would have had a better argument if VC3 had been re-programmed and released on PS2.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Saturnman said:
No, it is pretty much that simple. The similar hardware makes porting easy, marketibility in the home market is what prevents for VC3 to make the same jump as Outrun 2.

Suerte (and me, for that matter) is just referring to the fact that just because something is running on Chihiro doesn't automatically mean that Sega's going to port it to the XBox.

If you recall, SoJ was pretty reluctant to even consider Outrun 2 for the XBox, they wouldn't move on it unless Sega of America and/or Europe really wanted it. Even with that done, they still didn't bother to port it themselves, they handed it off to Sumo.

segasonic

Suerte said:
Not really that simple, otherwise we would have seen Virtua Cop 3 as well if it was.
Let me clarify: It's on Xbox and not on another console because the arcade version is on Xbox

segasonic

seismologist said:
people on the IGN board are bashing it left and right saying it aint for $40. I think I'm gonna try the demo first. That might even be enough for my outrun fix..
try the demo.

and save $40 already, because you'll need it once you're hooked :D

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Without having never even played it, it's already game.....not of the year....but of the fucking decade!! I will be getting an "AM2/Sumo Digital are Gods" tattoo on my left ass cheek tonight.

isamu said:
Without having never even played it, it's already game.....not of the year....but of the fucking decade!! I will be getting an "AM2/Sumo Digital are Gods" tattoo on my left ass cheek tonight.

Sorry, I hate to pick on you, but that's such an asinine statement, and I think you know that.

This is the reason why I've distance myself from Sega fans. They make spectacles of themselves when professing their love for the games and the company, but when they screw up, it's all waterworks. And most seem to blindly love certain games despite never touching the control pad.

Yeah, this game looks great, but I'll do my gushing after I have a round with it.

Saturnman

Banned
xsarien said:
Suerte (and me, for that matter) is just referring to the fact that just because something is running on Chihiro doesn't automatically mean that Sega's going to port it to the XBox.

If you recall, SoJ was pretty reluctant to even consider Outrun 2 for the XBox, they wouldn't move on it unless Sega of America and/or Europe really wanted it. Even with that done, they still didn't bother to port it themselves, they handed it off to Sumo.

Having it on Chihiro pretty much raises the odds of a Xbox port. It followed the same path as HotD3 and Crazy Taxi 3 before it. If it were running on System 246, I would have been far less likely. Then again, Soul Calibur 2 did make it to Xbox, but that is the only exception I know of.

When a company develops an arcade game based on console-hardware, console portability has to be part of the options it considers. The wranglings behind the home port of Outrun 2 seems like a company inflating demand/hype and looking for a deal in the process.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
FortNinety said:
Sorry, I hate to pick on you, but that's such an asinine statement, and I think you know that.

This is the reason why I've distance myself from Sega fans. They make spectacles of themselves when professing their love for the games and the company, but when they screw up, it's all waterworks. And most seem to blindly love certain games despite never touching the control pad.

Yeah, this game looks great, but I'll do my gushing after I have a round with it.

Are you mad at me FortNinety? Are my Sega Fanboy glasses too thick?
cry.gif

Warrior

Banned
GigaDrive said:
saw you on Outrun 2 Huzza :) didnt get a chance to race ya, iirc. host didnt start a game :/

Yeah, I saw your name and I was like I know that from somewhere. Haha. Feel free to add me to your XBL contact list. :)

XBL Tag: Huzza

Saturnman said:
Having it on Chihiro pretty much raises the odds of a Xbox port. It followed the same path as HotD3 and Crazy Taxi 3 before it. If it were running on System 246, I would have been far less likely. Then again, Soul Calibur 2 did make it to Xbox, but that is the only exception I know of.

When a company develops an arcade game based on console-hardware, console portability has to be part of the options it considers. The wranglings behind the home port of Outrun 2 seems like a company inflating demand/hype and looking for a deal in the process.
uh, Crazy Taxi 3 was on Xbox before Chihiro, and wasn't HOTD3 a simultaneous release?

robot

Finally got the demo last night, and the game is freakin awesome. While the demo only lets you pick from 2 cars, and only race up to the 4th easy checkpoint, it's enough to realize how awesome the game is. I'm still getting used to the powerslides tho (keep oversteering.)

4 player live was awesome. The "Catch Up" option is kinda fun cause it keeps the race tight. I cant believe the full version is gonna support 8 players, it's gonna be nuts.

GigaDrive

Banned
When has Sega ever been smart?

*in 1989 when they showed good games at Summer CES for the Genesis, then by releasing the Genesis in August/September

*in 1990 for developing Sonic the Hedgehog and in 1991 for releasing said game

*for having an agressive and succesful ad campaign against Nintendo in the early 90s

*in general for making dozens of awesome arcade games and some awesome console games in the 80s and 90s.

bionic77

GigaDrive said:
*in 1989 when they showed good games at Summer CES for the Genesis, then by releasing the Genesis in August/September

*in 1990 for developing Sonic the Hedgehog and in 1991 for releasing said game

*for having an agressive and succesful ad campaign against Nintendo in the early 90s

*in general for making dozens of awesome arcade games and some awesome console games in the 80s and 90s.

So Sega was basically smart for 2-3 years out of the last 20?

I love Sega, but honestly they have not been the same since the DC died. Quality has gone right down the crapper. And making good games is not the same thing as being smart.

Still think that the old AV was/is the best from Sega, F-zero Gx/Ax and SMB being the best sega titles....AM2 released some crap like Beach Spikers and the soon Virtua Fighter Quest kids....or whatever is going to be called.

Sho Nuff

Banned
isamu said:

You need to stop, you are freaking me out now.

bionic77 said:
I love Sega, but honestly they have not been the same since the DC died. Quality has gone right down the crapper. And making good games is not the same thing as being smart.

This bears repeating and has at least added some value to yet another unnecessary OutRun thread.

Top Bottom