• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

shaowebb

I'd like to see Gameloft jump on board this. Start porting that stuff on over and jump on the launch window for sales numbers.

Alchemy

If the Ouya sales very well than they could try to make a console that would compete with the WiiU/PS4/X720 or WiiU2/PS5/X1080.

Hahahaha, not for a few extra million. Ouya would have to take the fuck off like crazy to cover that much ground, and directly competing against the big systems is the opposite of what is making the Ouya interesting right now.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
As a PC gamer I'm not interested in this console but I really want such project to succeed in the long run.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
They are asking people who pledge to send them ideas for stretch goals

To expand on his post.

“We have a lot of ideas of what we’d like to do,” Uhrman said. “Obviously, we’ve been focusing specifically on building a great product and bringing it to market. The success of the Kickstarter has been incredible and unexpected, and we are definitely going to think about what we can do from a stretch goal perspective and what more we can do and still deliver on our promise of Ouya.”

http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/10/o...-would-blow-up-like-this-exclusive-interview/

milsorgen

Banned
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. :\

Anyways, hopefully this will be the nail in the coffin for iOS, or at least get the market on par.

Oh please enlighten us to the power of the Tegra 3. Judging from that and you thinking it could even put a dent in iOS let alone put a nail in the coffin I'm liable to think you have no idea what your talking about.

saunderez

To even get the Google Store (Google Play) on an Android device you have to meet certain requirements to be "Android Certified". You don't have to get certified to use Android though. I don't know if this device would pass the test nor if they want to actually certify it.

It seems to me like they'll be running their own store and will provide libraries for developers to use that give them access to the non-standard Android features. Apps will probably have to be customised for the Ouya but it shouldn't be a huge task converting an Android game to a Ouya game.

Dingotech

I'd really love for this to be successful.

If only because I'd love for it to be a little emulation box that I could leave hooked up to my living room TV.

Sure I could use a PC but they take forever to boot up and are clumsy. I'd love to have easy to use emulation setup so that in a year or two I can show my daughter all the old school gaming that I loved without having to connect all the different consoles I own to my TV.

I'd really love for this to be successful.

If only because I'd love for it to be a little emulation box that I could leave hooked up to my living room TV.

Sure I could use a PC but they take forever to boot up and are clumsy. I'd love to have easy to use emulation setup so that in a year or two I can show my daughter all the old school gaming that I loved without having to connect all the different consoles I own to my TV.

The reason I supported it is that open source means that even if no games get developed, without a doubt it is a great little box for emulation and media and the controller looks great to me. $100 is a no brainer for me.

They definitely did a better job getting me Interested in this than Nintendo did a Wii U. I have an awesome PC and a 360. Wii U did nothing for me. This seems neat.

So. I gave $130 so I'd get two controllers. It never asked for a shipping address, just billing. There is a pretty good chance I won't live at my billing location by March, and if it gets a not shocking delay, I will for sure not be here. Thoughts on what I should do?

Karram

So I got a couple of questions about this console and the games it will be on it, firstly how do developers make money ? I noticed that there are games that aren't free to play like Canabalt and MineCraft, so what do devs gain from putting their game on the console ? Is there some sort of a Youtube like model ?

Secondly, what kind of filtering system will they use to make sure that good games are featured ? Because predictably a system as open as this one will be flooded with bad and shallow games, not to mention technically broken games. It would be terrible to see a XNA scenario happen again.

boingball

Great project. I hope the success of this project makes Sony and MS re-visit their next console projects. (Rumours about blocking of used games etc are not really good news for consumers.

If the initial run is 25k consoles though this is not a really big market for AAA games. For that they need to sell a couple of million of those and thats were some problems around logistics will arise.

But at worst this project could be a great emulation box.

I'd like to see Gameloft jump on board this. Start porting that stuff on over and jump on the launch window for sales numbers.

I hope not.

If the initial run is 25k consoles though this is not a really big market for AAA games. For that they need to sell a couple of million of those and thats were some problems around logistics will arise.

Keep in mind this initial run is just for Kickstarters, before the retail launch, and that even that's not coming until around March, 2013.

Currently tight on money (still recovering from burglary). Helped my brother buy one. Hopefully I can get one for myself soon as well.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So. I gave $130 so I'd get two controllers. It never asked for a shipping address, just billing. There is a pretty good chance I won't live at my billing location by March, and if it gets a not shocking delay, I will for sure not be here. Thoughts on what I should do?

I believe the kickstater projects ask for your shipping address when they are ready to ship.

Edit- Could always ship it to your family/friends/SO house.

Fou-Lu

Tempted, it seems like it could potentially be right up my alley. If I manage to get an extra $119 sometime before the kickstarter is up I'll be in.

Orayn

Really, really tempted to ask for one of these for my birthday... Hnnnnngg

They couldn't even get the face buttons planar ahahahaha

They're not necessarily meant to be. Look at an Xbox 360 controller - Those face buttons aren't planar but instead follow the contour of the shell.

Only 6,300 left at the $99 price point. After that you'll have to wait until they are available for sale, or donate $1,300. No pressure.

Well, we got two controllers, and since we are working on a project together, we'll be fine with one for now. I won't hesitate to get one down the road though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So I got a couple of questions about this console and the games it will be on it, firstly how do developers make money ? I noticed that there are games that aren't free to play like Canabalt and MineCraft, so what do devs gain from putting their game on the console ? Is there some sort of a Youtube like model ?

Secondly, what kind of filtering system will they use to make sure that good games are featured ? Because predictably a system as open as this one will be flooded with bad and shallow games, not to mention technically broken games. It would be terrible to see a XNA scenario happen again.

Developers choose the model they want(ie; free, free with microtransactions, dlc, subscriptions, etc). They get a 70% from the purchase, Boxer8 gets 30%.

Developers would get another platform to sell their games. It's based off android, so porting should be easy.

No idea on your last question. They haven't really talked about the certification process, or how they plan to handle the marketplace.

R1CHO

99$ is a good price for an android device like this, even if you dont use it for gaming.

99$ today of corse, but maybe is not that big of a deal when this launches.

Truespeed

as a companion to next gen consoles this could be rad. undercutting the mobile space's one strength by creating game library parity with mobile devices in the console space is pretty sweet.

ps4 $400
720 $400
wii u $300
ouya $100

PS4 Game: 6000 cents
Xbox 8 Game: 6000 cents
Wii U Game: 5000 cents
OUYA Game: 99 cents

Karram

Developers choose the model they want(ie; free, free with microtransactions, dlc, subscriptions, etc). They get a 70% from the purchase, Boxer8 gets 30%.
So I guess not every game will be free to play ? I mean games like Braid or Limbo probably can't be free to play and rely on microtransaction, neither dlc nor subscription.

TheD

The Detective
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. :\

Anyways, hopefully this will be the nail in the coffin for iOS, or at least get the market on par.

SMH

Tegra3 is not even close to as powerful as the 360 or PS3.

The GPU in the high end Tegra 3 is only capable of around 12GFLOPS at 500Mhz, the 360 and PS3 GPUs on the other hand are around 240GFLOPS.

The CPUs are also in favor of the 360/PS3.

You will never see a PS2 or Gamecube/Wii emulator on Tegra3!
Getting Tegra3 to emulate them is like getting a xbox 1 to emulate a PS2, not going to happen!

PS2/Wii emulation needs much faster CPUs than what the Tegra3 has.
Only PCs with powerful CPUs can run PS2 and Wii emulators.

So I guess not every game will be free to play ? I mean games like Braid or Limbo probably can't be free to play and rely on microtransaction, neither dlc nor subscription.

Every Game just has to have a free option, like a demo, or a base you can add dlc too. The games themselves do not have to be free.

SMH

Tegra3 is not even close to as powerful as the 360 or PS3.

The GPU in the high end Tegra 3 is only capable of around 12GFLOPS at 500Mhz, the 360 and PS3 GPUs on the other hand are around 240GFLOPS.

The CPUs are also in favor of the 360/PS3.

You will never see a PS2 or Gamecube/Wii emulator on Tegra3!
Only PCs with much faster CPUs can run PS2 and Wii emulators.

Still, good enough for great indie/2d games at beautiful resolutons.

And emulators.

And web surfing/media center.

For $100 sounds great to me. I have a PC super box.

saunderez

A requirement of being on the store is that you have a free option. It can simply be a demo or you can give away the entire game and raise money with microtransactions. The only rule is you must have a free option. I approve of this in the same way I approve of mandatory demos for all Xbox Live Arcade games.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

They just mean every game will, at least, have a free demo.

That has to be fucking insane to hope your company is going to get $900,000 in 29 days. Wake up the next day and know you're getting at least $2,000,000 instead. Bet tomorrow is a pretty feel good day at work.

Polari

They are asking people who pledge to send them ideas for stretch goals

Let's face it though, they must already have some serious VC behind them. They're using Kickstarter purely as a marketing tool.

Anyway, as for the system on a whole it sounds promising.

- The fact that it means developers will be able to target Android then port to Ouya and vice-versa means there should be some decent games available and this will benefit both ecosystems.

- The industrial design looks excellent and although Tegra 3 isn't going to compete with 360 or PS3 it's still no slouch, so in all it looks like a fantastic product for $99.

- I do have to question how they're going to approach to issue of piracy, but I guess Android still sees decent developer support despite piracy being very simple and porting from Android to Ouya should be a very low-cost proposition.

- It will be interesting to see if the likes of EA, Square-Enix, Konami being their Android titles over.

- Instead of using extra funding for first-party games as they state they might on the Kickstarter, I'd rather see them use that money to bring existing indie titles over. i.e. take a bigger cut of sales in return for funding porting, making the system a lower-risk proposition for small developers. Never playing games on PC and only having access to my 360 sporadically there's plenty of games like Trine 2, Bastion, Amnesia and Super Meat Boy that I haven't got to yet.

- I think they'll sell out on Kickstarter, no doubt. Whether they can hold that price on retail is a little dubious though. Still, even for say, $129 if they have apps like Netflix and VLC in the market it's still a pretty good value proposition.

Haint

Kind of confused as to who this appeals to beyond geeks who just want to buy a cheap new novelty gadget. Core console gamers aren't going to give up CoD to play D-grade Gameloft rip offs, casuals demand motion controls (not that they'll ever hear about this thing), and everyone else realizes they can hook their pre-existing PC or Mac up to their TV and accomplish a thousand times more a thousand times better.

Pimpbaa

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. :

I'm using a Tegra 3 device right now and play plenty of games on it. The chip is subpar. It isn't something new that no one knows how capable it is. It's been in android tablets since late last year. It's nowhere near as good as current consoles, current iOS devices, or the Vita.

Kind of confused as to who this appeals to beyond geeks who just want to buy a cheap new novelty gadget. Core console gamers aren't going to give up CoD to play D-grade Gameloft rip offs, casuals demand motion controls (not that they'll ever hear about this thing), and everyone else realizes they can hook their pre-existing PC or Mac up to their TV and accomplish a thousand times more a thousand times better.

Why do console owners have to give up their other consoles for this? Also, Wii selling a fuck ton does not = "casuals demand motion controls". If I were them, I think I'd mostly aim for this to be viewed as some type of media player. Games and controllers are just the awesome bonus. But, yeah. This is mostly going to be aimed at geeks.

NeOak

I'm using a Tegra 3 device right now and play plenty of games on it. The chip is subpar. It isn't something new that no one knows how capable it is. It's been in android tablets since late last year. It's nowhere near as good as current consoles, current iOS devices, or the Vita.

nVidia dropped the ball on this chip. They are using the same POS single channel memory controller of the Tegra2 and they had to do a "respin" to be able to get it to do 1080p.

This is why the Asus Transformer with a 1080p used a Qualcomm S4.

I pledged anyway.

SparkTR

If they want that 'revolution' I hope they've planned a strategy once the big three begin their hype campaigns next year and reduce the price of their more desirable current gen systems to something comparable to the Ouya. Unless they want this to be relegated to a low-end emulation machine and subsequently forgotten.

This is where I disagree, and I speak as someone who has a 2nd pc as a media pc.

This can do media center stuff just as well as anything else. Better than a 360 or other comsole because there is no bulshit stoppong you from consuming what media you want how you want. The touch interface on the controller is smart.

Last but not least, its $100. Ever have a second TV you wish you could easily sling content or Netflix to? That it may play some neat games is just a bonus.

saunderez

- I do have to question how they're going to approach to issue of piracy, but I guess Android still sees decent developer support despite piracy being very simple and porting from Android to Ouya should be a very low-cost proposition.

Starting with Jellybean apps are encrpyted per device when downloaded from the market. I don't know how long it'll take to be cracked or if it's even possible but Google are taking steps to prevent piracy and hopefully Ouya uses this.

DiscoJer

Why do people buy any console then? PCs are pretty much always a better experience, other than a handful of system exclusives.

Granted, this doesn't have that, but it's also $99. Do you really want to buy a dedicated TV to hook up to your PC? Or constantly switch between your TV and monitor?

Besides, while this might not have exclusives, Android does have games/apps that PCs don't offer and the only Android thing I've seen for PC, that Blue Stacks, doesn't work very well

nVidia dropped the ball on this chip. They are using the same POS single channel memory controller of the Tegra2 and they had to do a "respin" to be able to get it to do 1080p.

This is why the Asus Transformer with a 1080p used a Qualcomm S4.

I pledged anyway.

Since its not shippng until next March, isnt it very possible it will used one of the newer Tegra 3 iterations that arent out yet?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
what a waste

the reason that these games are even popular are because of their mobility. tethering them to a tv does what for these kinds of games? adds a controller? isn't the controller what makes games less casual-friendly, which is the main market for these kinds of f2p bite-size games?

i dont think playing Farmville Clone XIII with a controller is going to do anything for the industry.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

If I were to ask my mom, or heck, even my brother, to hook up the pc to the tv, they would be clueless. Not everyone is tech savvy. Bet you know at least one person in your family that types Facebook into Google, instead of going straight to fb.com.

You are lumping all the games under one giant umbrella. There are some good stuff on smartphones.

This appeals to anyone who is interested in a set top box. Stream/download games/content at will.

Starting with Jellybean apps are encrpyted per device when downloaded from the market. I don't know how long it'll take to be cracked or if it's even possible but Google are taking steps to prevent piracy and hopefully Ouya uses this.

The fact they are stating this will use Android 4.0, even though 4.1 will have been out for months by the time this is actually released makes me think they won't be updating from 4.0, but I guess we'll see.

That's good to hear about Google trying to crack down on pirates though. Didn't know that. Shit is so cheap, it's really sad that people will pirate 99 cent apps.

If someone was to build a game from the ground up for this, which console gen would it be comparable to? My feeble mind can't tell if those specs are decent or not.

what a waste

the reason that these games are even popular are because of their mobility. tethering them to a tv does what for these kinds of games? adds a controller? isn't the controller what makes games less casual-friendly, which is the main market for these kinds of f2p bite-size games?

i dont think playing Farmville Clone XIII with a controller is going to do anything for the industry.

The advantages are obvious to me. No need for a big publisher, get your games a traditonal style game console without the bullshit.

Obviously for most gamers PC is a better option to the traditonal problems of the console market. But for $100 this is a cool supplement and a nice media center option.

Top Bottom