• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The fact they are stating this will use Android 4.0, even though 4.1 will have been out for months by the time this is actually released makes me think they won't be updating from 4.0, but I guess we'll see.

That's good to hear about Google trying to crack down on pirates though. Didn't know that. Shit is so cheap, it's really sad that people will pirate 99 cent apps.

aren't people pirating free games too?

The advantages are obvious to me. No need for a big publisher, get your games a traditonal style game console without the bullshit.

its called the PC.

you can hook a PC up to a TV, too.

just because you're not needing to be supported by a big publisher to publish on the Ouya, there's bound to be some sort of approval process for showing up on the marketplace, will there not be?

Izick

If someone was to build a game from the ground up for this, which console gen would it be comparable to? My feeble mind can't tell if those specs are decent or not.

I'm guessing somewhere between Xbox and the current generation, if some tablet games are to be the indicator.

If someone was to build a game from the ground up for this, which console gen would it be comparable to? My feeble mind can't tell if those specs are decent or not.

PS2-ish? I guess.

aren't people pirating free games too?

I was going to update my post to say that. Pretty sure there was a Gaffer who posted his free game had been pirated way more than bought. Fucking people.

saunderez

The fact they are stating this will use Android 4.0, even though 4.1 will have been out for months by the time this is actually released makes me think they won't be updating from 4.0, but I guess we'll see.

I'd like to think they won't stay on ICS given the UI smoothness improvements Jellybean brings with it. There's no reason I can see that they can't move to Jellybean, the hardware they're using can handle it.

And yeah people are ridiculously cheap. I've bought so many 99c apps I've lost count, probably spent hundreds of dollars. I don't get it.

PS2-ish? I guess.

I'd say Xbox 1 + some pretty shaders should be possible given what I've played on Android. Shadowgun and Dead Trigger are fairly impressive.

Dead Trigger
38576-screenshot_2012-07-08-15-51-41.jpg

Shadowgun

Orayn

what a waste

the reason that these games are even popular are because of their mobility. tethering them to a tv does what for these kinds of games? adds a controller? isn't the controller what makes games less casual-friendly, which is the main market for these kinds of f2p bite-size games?

i dont think playing Farmville Clone XIII with a controller is going to do anything for the industry.

The point is that you don't need to make your games like typical phone fare because you 1. Always have a controller, 2. have a fixed hardware spec and don't need to worry about performance on older models. There's no reason Android games have to be any certain way.

its called the PC.

A capable gaming PC costs a minimum of five times as much as this.

Anyone know how a quadcore tegra 3 (Ouya) compares to a quadcore Cortex-A9 (PSvita)?

Edit: Wait, from a bit of googling, I see the Tegra 3 contains four Cortex A9 cores. So does this mean it's pretty much the same as a vita in terms of graphics capability?

I'd like to think they won't stay on ICS given the UI smoothness improvements Jellybean brings with it. There's no reason I can see that they can't move to Jellybean, the hardware they're using can handle it.

And yeah people are ridiculously cheap. I've bought so many 99c apps I've lost count, probably spent hundreds of dollars. I don't get it.

I didn't/don't know if it maybe has to do with their custom interface and having to go through the process of making sure all the apps for it work if they move to a new Android version (this is obviously a bigger deal after launch if you suddenly have games not working after an update).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

That's good to hear about Google trying to crack down on pirates though. Didn't know that. Shit is so cheap, it's really sad that people will pirate 99 cent apps.

Jellybean has been out for two weeks at most. I think they will upgrade to 4.1 before this thing launches.

The advantages are obvious to me. No need for a big publisher, get your games a traditonal style game console without the bullshit.

Obviously for most gamers PC is a better option to the traditonal problems of the console market. But for $100 this is a cool supplement and a nice media center option.

That is the big selling point for me.

davepoobond

The point is that you don't need to make your games like typical phone fare because you 1. Always have a controller, 2. have a fixed hardware spec. There's no reason Android games have to be any certain way.

fixed hardware specs are only useful for games that are pushing technical limits and take years to develop. games like the ones that will appear on the ouya are going to have more leeway every year due to updated Android/iOS specs, and only take a few months if that to be created.

hence, it is a moot point to have a fixed hardware spec. also, 1gb of ram? lol. you probably spend more money buying 1 gig ram chips than 2 gig ram chips at this point let alone next year when it is released.

"always have a controller" -- you always have one with your phone already. not to mention you appeal to LESS people with a traditional controller as we've come to figure out over the past few years.

A capable gaming PC costs a minimum of five times as much as this.

it also does 5 times more, but thats besides the point. the tech specs for this thing are terribad compared to something 3 years ago and you can just get one of those computers for a 100 bucks now.

saunderez

Rockstar needs to port the Android Max Payne port to the Ouya. The Android version is perfect but touch screen controls are terrible. They should probably do GTA3 while they're at it.

Taken on my GS3 with everything maxed but the Ouya should be similarly capable.

Meelow

Banned
For the person asking about graphics power, I think this is concidered the best looking Tegra 3 game: Shadowgun.

That's pretty good, the specs are definitely good, and the cost of the system is definitely not ripping people off, I will hopefully pledge soon for it because I really want one and I want to help out the company.

Pineconn

I smell one heck of a lawsuit brewing. Online gaming shows you that people are out there to ruin your experience, hack your console. If this console is designed to be hacked, I don't foresee security being there whatsoever. Can you release something with the open ability to ruin other peole's machines? Denial of service is serious stuff.

Lawsuit potential #2: this will be a breeding ground for emulation, so wouldn't the big anti-piracy guys (Nintendo, etc.) try to prevent this in the first place? I might be wrong here, seeing as you could apply what I'm saying to computers. Though computers have ROMs and emulators (duh), you don't see anyone blocking the sales of them.

davepoobond said:
it also does 5 times more, but thats besides the point. the tech specs for this thing are terribad compared to something 3 years ago and you can just get one of those computers for a 100 bucks now.

Ok, go find me this 3 year old PC you can buy for $100 that is capable of more than this. I will buy it RIGHT NOW.

Just watched this short youtube clip. I'm impressed with how smooth it looks. They need to get XBMC on there with that extra cash.

Up to $2.1 million now. Too bad I'm sure the pledging is going to drop off a cliff once the $99 bracket is filled.

saunderez

I smell one heck of a lawsuit brewing. Online gaming shows you that people are out there to ruin your experience, hack your console. If this console is designed to be hacked, I don't foresee security being there whatsoever. Can you release something with the open ability to ruin other peole's machines? Denial of service is serious stuff. .
WTF. You can already do that on PC or Mac or any non-closed ecosystem. Sometimes they're referred to as viruses or malware. Where are all the lawsuits? They don't mean its designed to be hacked as they left in a bunch of backdoors. It's designed to be rooted to be fully open if you so choose. They want to encourage people to develop hardware addons etc.

Lawsuit potential #2: this will be a breeding ground for emulation, so wouldn't the big anti-piracy guys (Nintendo, etc.) try to prevent this in the first place? I might be wrong here, seeing as you could apply what I'm saying to computers. Though computers have ROMs and emulators (duh), you don't see anyone blocking the sales of them.
Emulation isn't illegal. Emulators aren't illegal. Distribution of roms is and they won't be doing that. And again, this already happens on Android and PC and any other platform that hasn't got a closed ecosystem, where are all the lawsuits?

davepoobond

itxaka

Defeatist
An android box.. Why are you guys excited? Your phone will have more power than this and will be able to connect to the tv and to a controller via BT.

Durante

Anyone know how a quadcore tegra 3 (Ouya) compares to a quadcore Cortex-A9 (PSvita)?

Edit: Wait, from a bit of googling, I see the Tegra 3 contains four Cortex A9 cores. So does this mean it's pretty much the same as a vita in terms of graphics capability?
No, you are comparing CPUs. The Vita GPU is at least 4 times faster than the Tegra 3 GPU.

saunderez

An android box.. Why are you guys excited? Your phone will have more power than this and will be able to connect to the tv and to a controller via BT.

Really? It's a completely open console platform dedicated to gaming on the TV and you wonder why we're excited? I'm pretty sure I'm still on the gaming side of GAF.....Yep says it right up the top. Weird.

ZoddGutts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-DELL-P...0790189000?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item2ec00723c8

there you go, sir. has 5 minutes left and same specs as your Ouya.

here's an even better deal. Its an Ouya that comes with its own TV screen for just 50 bucks more:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OPLTIP...0761552228?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item4d02ecc164

Celeron? lol can it even play HD videos? My sister's old PC had the same specs and it couldn't play HD 720p vid let alone 1080p. Good luck at streaming 720p vids too.

Anyways here's a https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ouya they have going as to what games you'll like to see on the console.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-DELL-P...0790189000?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item2ec00723c8

there you go, sir. has 5 minutes left and same specs as your Ouya.

here's an even better deal. Its an Ouya that comes with its own TV screen for just 50 bucks more:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OPLTIP...0761552228?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item4d02ecc164

Used ex-broken shit on ebay?

Adding to op.

Blah. You should fix my spelling considered wrong so I don't feel like a complete dumb ass every time someone reads the OP.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
How is Ouya pronounced? Is it like "oh yeah"? Or "ooh yeah"? Or...?

davepoobond

No that is a used Celeron with integrated graphics. It doesn come close. And it sold for $91.

your point? the thing isnt even going to come out till next year. it was still under 100 bucks. and you got the best operating system ever on it -- Windows XP.

android is a piece of laggy crap that is always running on the lowest amount of hardware possible, at no fault to Google other than forcing hardware manufacturers to actually have adequate hardware attached to it.

I think games development isn't where it needs to be for this to take off as a console, even within the Android ecosystem. As a media center, it's interesting but I'm not sure why I'd pick this over a laptop, HTPC, PS3, smart TV, Roku (just as cheap or cheaper than the Ouya) etc. and essentially every electronics device made nowadays. I predict that the best case scenario is for it to be a moderate sales success on the scale of the Roku, but likely never heard from again after the Kickstarter furor, and for it to be a complete non-factor in the gaming landscape either way.

itxaka

Defeatist
Really? It's a completely open console platform dedicated to gaming on the TV and you wonder why we're excited? I'm pretty sure I'm still on the gaming side of GAF.....Yep says it right up the top. Weird.

You didn't answer ;)

Tt's based on Android and the specs are...really simple. Games won't be incredible or beyond anything seeing on phone and tablets. In fact they will probably be the same, release your game on adnroid and ooyuauaua at the same time, patch the controls, call it a day.

So that is why I ask. I totally love it as a emu box (well, 8gb sucks, doesn't mention any sd cad support) but I can't see the potential of it.

At least we will get a XBMC and emu box out of it.

saunderez

android is a piece of laggy crap that is always running on the lowest amount of hardware possible, at no fault to Google other than forcing hardware manufacturers to actually have adequate hardware attached to it.

Ah so you've never used Android...that's the only conclusion I can come to since any reasonably specced Android device isn't "laggy crap".

You didn't answer ;)

Tt's based on Android and the specs are...really simple. Games won't be incredible or beyond anything seeing on phone and tablets. In fact they will probably be the same, release your game on adnroid and ooyuauaua at the same time, patch the controls, call it a day.

Personally I'm excited for it's potential as an indie games box. Most indie games don't need extraordinary amounts of power and should run fine on the Ouya. I'm not expecting 360/PC retail level games, I've got a 360 and PC for that. This is purely going to be for my old school gaming on the TV. Something I don't quite get enough of with XBLA games (playing the shit out of Spelunky right now, seems like a game perfectly suited to the Ouya). Emulation is a happy bonus for me.

ZenaxPure

Here's a vid of OUYA interface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaUlyghHpOA

Looks like he's using a PS3 controller.

I don't think that's a PS3 controller, has a glowing light in the middle.

Also I really dig the interface, looks like the current 360 thing in a lot of ways, except, all of the icons are for games and not movies/music/Diablo 3 ads.

its called the PC.

just because you're not needing to be supported by a big publisher to publish on the Ouya, there's bound to be some sort of approval process for showing up on the marketplace, will there not be?

Well, for starters as it's been pointed out PCs are expensive and not everyone knows how to plug them into a tv and then at that you have to install steam (or whatever else for games) and then the chances of the game supporting a controller range from just plug it in, all the way to, go download a bunch of bullshit programs and then remap everything to make sure it works. Then you run into the problem of this game not running well on your machine because X or Y problems so you have tinker with it, turning off some settings and so on.

The idea they seem to be pitching with this is cutting all of that crap out. You plug it into your tv, you plug the controller in, and you go. It's as they are selling it, a console. When you buy a game you already know it's going to work and you know that the controller in your hand should work fine for it.

As for "bound to be some sort of approval process" that is sort of missing the point. Again, the idea they are pitching is that it will be easy to develop for. I doubt it will cost $40k for developers to put out a patch for their game on this machine like it does on XBLA (according to Tim Schafer). They are trying to make this in easy experience for anyone that wants to develop for it. Of course it also does a bunch of other crap too, but the ease of use is really what is exciting about it.

It seems like they are setting out to make a console for the smaller developers who have great games but get turned away from MS/Sony but still want their game on a "console". If this catches on it could be really excellent for those people. It is still to be seen if it does that but there is obviously a lot of people who like the idea or they wouldn't have made $2 million in less than 24 hours.

your point? the thing isnt even going to come out till next year. it was still under 100 bucks. and you got the best operating system ever on it -- Windows XP.

You linked me to a single core PC with crapy integrated graphics. On top of that it was used and sold for $91.

The Tegra 3 is a quadcore processor far more capable.

Thats an epic fail at proving your point.

davepoobond

But, which one are you more likely to go into best buy/walmart and find?

a cable cord to connect my current computer or tablet to my tv for when i upgrade.

if there was more to the strategy of the Ouya than saying "free to play games, go make them and you can play them on this box hooray" it would make sense to me. it would also make sense if the hardware wasn't already old when it came out. neither are true. It's like having a portable DVD player. Useful for about 3 years until we figured out a better way to do it -- using the equipment we already have to do it.

The Ouya's whole strategy is taking a piece of the already integrated media devices and trying to segment it out for no reason. This is anti-convergence.

Ah so you've never used Android...that's the only conclusion I can come to since any reasonably specced Android device isn't "laggy crap".

i have an android phone.

Someone just pledged another $10,000. Up to four now.

Also just noticed that the $10,000 lists the delivery as March, while the $1,337 gets it in December. I assume that's an oversight.

a cable cord to connect my current computer or tablet to my tv for when i upgrade.

if there was more to the strategy of the Ouya than saying "free to play games, go make them and you can play them on this box hooray" it would make sense to me. it would also make sense if the hardware wasn't already old when it came out. neither are true. It's like having a portable DVD player. Useful for about 3 years until we figured out a better way to do it -- using the equipment we already have to do it.

The Ouya's whole strategy is taking a piece of the already integrated media devices and trying to segment it out for no reason. This is anti-convergence.

Hooking a computer up to a TV is far more complicated for the average PC/tablet user than plugging in a new media player. My dad has a media player, but would be lost as far as getting his computer to his TV and figuring out how to get what he wants on it. Again, I do think they need to sell this as a game playing media device, not an open gaming device, if they intend to get anyone except us geeks giving a fuck.

DiscoJer

Someone just pledged another $10,000. Up to four now.

Also just noticed that the $10,000 lists the delivery as March, while the $1,337 gets it in December. I assume that's an oversight.

Well, while each tier is cumulative, they do have different times.

Like for the $10,000, presumably you get the dev version earlier, but then part of it, like the launch party or the name being engraved on the first run of the consoles won't happen until March

davepoobond

Well, for starters as it's been pointed out PCs are expensive and not everyone knows how to plug them into a tv

its not anymore difficult than plugging in a normal device. especially with newer computers.

and then at that you have to install steam (or whatever else for games)

from the amount of praise steam garners around here, i would think that would be a good thing that steam is present.

and then the chances of the game supporting a controller range from just plug it in, all the way to, go download a bunch of bullshit programs and then remap everything to make sure it works. Then you run into the problem of this game not running well on your machine because X or Y problems so you have tinker with it, turning off some settings and so on.

The idea they seem to be pitching with this is cutting all of that crap out. You plug it into your tv, you plug the controller in, and you go. It's as they are selling it, a console. When you buy a game you already know it's going to work and you know that the controller in your hand should work fine for it.

yes, that may be the only appealing point to it, but you also have to realize that the software has to be there to make it even useful or worthwhile to begin bothering with it in the first place.

As for "bound to be some sort of approval process" that is sort of missing the point. Again, the idea they are pitching is that it will be easy to develop for. I doubt it will cost $40k for developers to put out a patch for their game on this machine like it does on XBLA (according to Tim Schafer). They are trying to make this in easy experience for anyone that wants to develop for it. Of course it also does a bunch of other crap too, but the ease of use is really what is exciting about it.

the fact is we don't know what they are planning. it could be 100k for all we know. they havent exactly laid out their policies yet, and understandably so.

It seems like they are setting out to make a console for the smaller developers who have great games but get turned away from MS/Sony but still want their game on a "console". If this catches on it could be really excellent for those people. It is still to be seen if it does that but there is obviously a lot of people who like the idea or they wouldn't have made $2 million in less than 24 hours.

those developers would be ill-fated if that is their mindset. there is already a huge android/iOS userbase out there if they've gotten rejected by MS/Sony for whatever reason. Obviously it isn't unheard of. There is also Steam to release on. The console isn't going to serve their interests very well until it hits high numbers.

It mustn't be a high spec one if it's "laggy crap".

which is besides the point. hardware manufacturers want to give you the lowest hardware possible for Android if they can get away with it. Why isn't the Ouya 2 or 4 gb? why is it only 1? what reason is there? MY shitty ass phone has 256 mb or ram! and its 3 years old

I don't think it's an oversight, the $699 and $1337 are developer specials.

I'd want the developer special if I gave $10,000.

its not anymore difficult than plugging in a normal device. especially with newer computers.

In theory. My TV overscans so I have to fuck with the resolution to get it to fit the TV right, same with my fathers (these are the only two HD tv's I have experience plugging a computer into). Then you have to go into your sound settings to get surround sound working. Everyone knows how to work a remote though.

EDIT: Though I suppose this doesn't have a remote.

I ple the fact that the decided touch was more important than accelerometer or rumble. The later will always be gimmicks that only matter in bullet points whereas a touch interface is a good call, especially for web surfing.

davepoobond

In theory. My TV overscans so I have to fuck with the resolution to get it to fit the TV right, same with my fathers (these are the only two HD tv's I have experience plugging a computer into). Then you have to go into your sound settings to get surround sound working. Everyone knows how to work a remote though.

there are a couple of things to mention:

overscanning might be an issue for someone who knows what it is. but to someone who just plugs it in they wouldnt know the difference. not a really big deal breaker there.

you can also just plug a computer in with HDMI, eventually they'll have them too.

Ouya isn't exactly precluded from having an overscanning issue either.

Berksy

This sounds cool but what about all the save file and leaderboard hacking? DS&PSP had this. Android&iOS have it now.

Top Bottom