• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

there are a couple of things to mention:

overscanning might be an issue for someone who knows what it is. but to someone who just plugs it in they wouldnt know the difference. not a really big deal breaker there.

you can also just plug a computer in with HDMI, eventually they'll have them too.

Ouya isn't exactly precluded from having an overscanning issue either.

You sound exactly like all those people Who were saying Ipad would not be a big deal because it was just a big iphone.

Micerider

Hmm, not yet convinced, but it picked my interest for those reasons :

Pros :

- it's 99$
- it's an open development platform
- It has a fixed hardware to develop for
- It's gamepad-centric (Android-touch games are ok when they are at their best, but this will force to develop "console-style" games rather than phone/tablet style games)
- It has industry veterans to back it up (and therefore, a potential network to encourage small-time development from big industry players).
- It might be a favored platform for promising, yet poor, indies.

Cons :

- They might not even get the logistic means to have a widespread distribution
- The fact that it focuses on freeware and android development would mostly gather a Gigaton of shovelware and this might be messy to find your way to the true interesting titles.
- It's not that powerfull (a bridge between last-gen and current-gen hardly something exciting, but seeing the scope of the project, it makes sense).
- Will it get a dedicated development, in the middle of all those Android-based hardware?

Certainly not an actual contender to have a major spot in the console-market, but it could, at it's best, be an alternative for small games (Arcade-style).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
You sound exacly like all those people Who were saying Ipad would not be a big deal because its just a big iphone.

you kidding, bro? the ipad IS a big iPhone. i dont know why it wouldnt be a "big deal" considering the point of it being "big" was the point.

whats the point of this? its not that clear cut to me.

curious, would you say that an android tablet is not a big android phone? it runs the same damn OS.

I asked on page 1, but I still haven't seen a clear and concise answer.

Can someone please explain the appeal of this thing to me when pretty much anyone with a PC capable of running a modern Internet browser already has more powerful hardware and open platform box?

I just don't understand what's going on here.

i think you can get your answer from page 2 if you bothered to read it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Can someone please explain the appeal of this thing to me when pretty much anyone with a PC capable of running a modern Internet browser already has more powerful hardware and is running an open platform?

davepoobond

the clear and concise answer is this:

This is an android box that displays everything you would normally get on an android phone on a TV. And its probably going to be that you can only put stuff on it that is approved from a marketplace. ANNND the normal person is not going to be "hacking" this box.

there are a couple of things to mention:

overscanning might be an issue for someone who knows what it is. but to someone who just plugs it in they wouldnt know the difference. not a really big deal breaker there.

you can also just plug a computer in with HDMI, eventually they'll have them too.

Ouya isn't exactly precluded from having an overscanning issue either.

It's pretty noticeable when all the edges, including the start bar, are pretty cut off. This is plugging my computer in with an HDMI. I assume anything with an HDMI out is a good amount beyond the price of this, as well.

Either way, the point is that there are a billion little things that can go wrong with a computer. At the very least you have to look for the programs you want and install codecs. This, you plug in and go to the (hopefully simple to use) app store.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
you kidding, bro? the ipad IS a big iPhone. i dont know why it wouldnt be a "big deal" considering the point of it being "big" was the point.

whats the point of this? its not that clear cut to me.

curious, would you say that an android tablet is not a big android phone? it runs the same damn OS.

i think you can get your answer from page 2 if you bothered to read it.

Dedicated TwitchTV box, limited HTPC usability, and the ability to run emulators that work on Android?

Is that the crux of it? Am I missing something?

Micerider

Can someone please explain the appeal of this thing to me when pretty much anyone with a PC capable of running a modern Internet browser already has more powerful hardware and open platform box?

Low-price tag.
Fixed-hardware to have a focused and optimized development (this is like, the major pro against PC development).
Probably a more stream-lined experience (focused on gaming).
Pre-equipped to play (with a pad included).

Aaron

Can someone please explain the appeal of this thing to me when pretty much anyone with a PC capable of running a modern Internet browser already has more powerful hardware and is running an open platform?

People like gadgets. The 'media box' thing is an excuse, since there are plenty capable ones already on the market. Their grandpa isn't going to play games on this thing. They're going to buy it themselves, fiddle with it for a month before they hit the wall of its hardware limits, and go back to their computers.

Pachimari

Wait, come to think of it, lack of accelerometer is a huge oversight. What about Android games that use tilting as their control input? They now have to come up with a new control scheme, that eventually could make their games less intuitive..

I don't think that's a PS3 controller, has a glowing light in the middle.

Also I really dig the interface, looks like the current 360 thing in a lot of ways, except, all of the icons are for games and not movies/music/Diablo 3 ads.

Well, for starters as it's been pointed out PCs are expensive and not everyone knows how to plug them into a tv and then at that you have to install steam (or whatever else for games) and then the chances of the game supporting a controller range from just plug it in, all the way to, go download a bunch of bullshit programs and then remap everything to make sure it works. Then you run into the problem of this game not running well on your machine because X or Y problems so you have tinker with it, turning off some settings and so on.

The idea they seem to be pitching with this is cutting all of that crap out. You plug it into your tv, you plug the controller in, and you go. It's as they are selling it, a console. When you buy a game you already know it's going to work and you know that the controller in your hand should work fine for it.

As for "bound to be some sort of approval process" that is sort of missing the point. Again, the idea they are pitching is that it will be easy to develop for. I doubt it will cost $40k for developers to put out a patch for their game on this machine like it does on XBLA (according to Tim Schafer). They are trying to make this in easy experience for anyone that wants to develop for it. Of course it also does a bunch of other crap too, but the ease of use is really what is exciting about it.

It seems like they are setting out to make a console for the smaller developers who have great games but get turned away from MS/Sony but still want their game on a "console". If this catches on it could be really excellent for those people. It is still to be seen if it does that but there is obviously a lot of people who like the idea or they wouldn't have made $2 million in less than 24 hours.
It's a PS3 controller. I think it was the SixAxis that lights up red while charging.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Aside from the controller images being obvious cheaply-made renders, the device is promising.

As a media center, not a console.

Android games are complete and utter garbage, and I see no reason for that to change with this thing, unless it blows up really big.
People in this thread touting gameloft shovelware shooters as actual worthwhile videogames are out of their minds. Isn't the android marketplace rife with piracy these days?

davepoobond

It's pretty noticeable when all the edges, including the start bar, are pretty cut off. This is plugging my computer in with an HDMI. I assume anything with an HDMI out is a good amount beyond the price of this, as well.

Either way, the point is that there are a billion little things that can go wrong with a computer. At the very least you have to look for the programs you want and install codecs. This, you plug in and go to the app (hopefully simple to use) app store.

i actually just plugged in a friends laptop to my lcd screen the other day and noticed no issues like that, so its probably just a TV thing. Standardization will be more broad as time goes on, so you'll see less and less of those issues in general.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Low-price tag.
Fixed-hardware to have a focused and optimized development (this is like, the major pro against PC development).
Probably a more stream-lined experience (focused on gaming).
Pre-equipped to play (with a pad included).

Fixed-hardware compared to PC doesn't matter with such low specs. Even games fully utilizing the hardware in this thing would run just fine on just about any PC.

My brain hurts.

What I really hope is that they have already figured out how to make a profit on each Ouya @ 99USD. Otherwise, the more money is pledged, the more they are going to lose.

i actually just plugged in a friends laptop to my lcd screen the other day and noticed no issues like that, so its probably just a TV thing. Standardization will be more broad as time goes on, so you'll see less and less of those issues in general.

Oh yeah, it is for sure a TV thing. It's not that rare though unless you have a pretty new TV, and even then I assume it still happens sometimes. My TV is like four years old, my dad's is three maybe. I will be making sure my next one does't have that problem, that's for fuck sure. If you have a "just scan" mode or something like that, it won't be a problem.

Micerider

Fixed-hardware compared to PC doesn't matter with such low specs. Even games fully utilizing the hardware in this thing would run just fine on just about any PC.

My brain hurts.

Oh it does matter, when you prepare your development pipeline it saves a lot of time to know that you only have to proof-test your game on only one hardware. Time and money saved man :)

Edit : in short ---> it cost less to develop for, requires a lesser hardware engineering knowledge and it would probably result in less-buggy games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
the clear and concise answer is this:

This is an android box that displays everything you would normally get on an android phone on a TV. And its probably going to be that you can only put stuff on it that is approved from a marketplace. ANNND the normal person is not going to be "hacking" this box.

Why would you care about this thing if you weren't going to be hacking it and putting emulators and shit on it?

This looks like the type of thing that typically gets laughed off of the Internet. Like that Phantom streaming console from years back.

I feel like I'm in bizarro world where some people actually seem to be interested in this thing.

davepoobond

Oh it does matter, when you prepare your development pipeline it saves a lot of time to know that you only have to proof-test your game on only one hardware. Time and money saved man :)

you have to realize what kind of games you're talking about though. the free to play android games that take more than a few months to create aren't games that should be releasing on this thing. if they do, they have a bad business model.

Micerider

you have to realize what kind of games you're talking about though. the free to play android games that take more than a few months to create aren't games that should be releasing on this thing. if they do, they have a bad business model.

I was hoping it was, if it's not, this has already lost my interest unfortunately.

Gustav

Banned
How much is vita selling weekly? This thing is going to 'sell' 21K in a week.

Thats with word of mouth and not multi million dollar ads.

Yeah, I won't get into the "sold so much in a period of time" mambo jambo. All that matters to me are absolute numbers.

davepoobond

Why would you care about this thing if you weren't going to be hacking it and putting emulators and shit on it?

This looks like the type of thing that typically gets laughed off of the Internet. Like that Phantom streaming console from years back.

I feel like I'm in bizarro world where some people actually seem to be interested in this thing.

the funny thing is that is the main appeal this product would have, and has been said as much by the people developing this product. the people that are going to be doing that are a subsect of a subsect of a subsect. i'm known by a lot of my friends to be good with computers, but i don't know the first thing about hacking. Even if there was a step-by-step guide to do it, i probably wouldn't do it either.

Pachimari

I'm buying this Ouya because of the Android games alone. Have no interest in it as a media box, as I already got an Apple TV, Mac Mini, PS3, 360, Wii and Windows PC hooked up to my TV.

SparkTR

Wait, come to think of it, lack of accelerometer is a huge oversight. What about Android games that use tilting as their control input? They now have to come up with a new control scheme, that eventually could make their games less intuitive..

This is using a proprietary store anyway so developers will have to make changes and go through a review process regardless, which includes controller support and F2P/demo. It's not open, just less restrictive than other consoles.

That's also an issue, if this doesn't take off in the mass market it's not going to get much support, unlike the smartphone market in which games are guaranteed to have a large audience of casual gamers at the very least and thus developers interest. I mean, if the Xperia Play had trouble getting developers to support it's controller I hope these guys have a good marketing plan.

ZenaxPure

It's a PS3 controller. I think it was the SixAxis that lights up red while charging.

It doesn't, or at least the one that came with my PS3 slim doesn't. Earlier models might for all I know but I don't have any launch controllers.

its not anymore difficult than plugging in a normal device. especially with newer computers.

You would be surprised (though you shouldn't) how hard it is for some people who are perfectly capable of plugging up any other device. Again though, my point was about accessibility, most people do not want to go out and build a great PC just to plug up to their tv. If they did there wouldn't be millions of consoles out there. The Ouya is no different from that, because it is a console, not a PC. Unless you're trying to argue there is no market for consoles at all?

yes, that may be the only appealing point to it, but you also have to realize that the software has to be there to make it even useful or worthwhile to begin bothering with it in the first place.

Yes, but do you really think these people are going to allow games that do not run on their device on their official game store? Of course not, this isn't a phone or a pc, they are selling this as a console, if a game does not run on the hardware it won't be up for sale. It's really as simple as that. The same goes for controller support, as of right now the console only comes with a controller, nothing else. It's a safe bet to assume every game in the official store will require controller support by default.

the fact is we don't know what they are planning. it could be 100k for all we know. they havent exactly laid out their policies yet, and understandably so.

I agree, but if it is not easier and more friendly to develop for than the PS3 or 360 they have totally failed at their pitch. Half of their video is dedicated to saying this machine is easy to develop for by anyone who wants to. It is a completely reasonable expectation that the experience won't suck for developers.

those developers would be ill-fated if that is their mindset. there is already a huge android/iOS userbase out there if they've gotten rejected by MS/Sony for whatever reason. Obviously it isn't unheard of. There is also Steam to release on. The console isn't going to serve their interests very well until it hits high numbers.

Yes but there isn't currently a console market for those developers and based on the interest in this so far there seems to be one just waiting for a box that provides for them. Again, this is about having a simple device you plug into your tv and know it will work. I can't currently get steam on any of my consoles, a console maker wanting to make a steam-like experience is great because currently MS/Sony/Nintendo do not care about that at all.

I'm not saying it will catch on and be successful enough to be even worthwhile for developers, in the long run, but you're acting confused as to why this product exists when it's very clear why. Most people do not want to mess with the hassle of building and setting up a PC when they can just plug a box into their tv to play games. If they did consoles would cease to exist.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This isn't exciting as a console, since it won't be even as powerful as an iPhone.

That being said, I'd be interested if it had Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon Video, and all those fancy services. As well as software to easily stream video from my PC to TV.

I could see this functioning as a light PC for your TV, and that's exciting for $99. A game console though? Get real. It'll probably be like an HD Wii. =P

We'll see plenty of shovelware and garbage, and by the time it comes out, it'll already be very outdated compared to modern Android phones. Don't even think it won't be.

Pachimari

This is using a proprietary store anyway so developers will have to make changes and go through a review process regardless, which includes controller support and F2P/demo. It's not open, just less restrictive than other consoles.

That's also an issue, if this doesn't take off in the mass market it's not going to get much support, unlike the smartphone market in which games are guaranteed to have a large audience of casual gamers at the very least. I mean, if the Xperia Play had trouble getting developers to support it's controller I hope these guys have a good marketing plan.

I know but it's not cool for customers who will miss out of the sensation of controlling, let's say, a Labyrinth board game by tilting the controller.

It doesn't, or at least the one that came with my PS3 slim doesn't. Earlier models might for all I know but I don't have any launch controllers.
It's either a modified PS3 controller or the same PS3 controller as the test units, that were given out before launch.

Rockstar needs to port the Android Max Payne port to the Ouya. The Android version is perfect but touch screen controls are terrible. They should probably do GTA3 while they're at it.

this is my biggest worry, will any developer after the launch be bothered to spend time and money doing a custom version for this thing?

TheD

The Detective
Well, for starters as it's been pointed out PCs are expensive and not everyone knows how to plug them into a tv

*Facepalm

PCs are plugged into TVs the same way consoles are!

A capable gaming PC costs a minimum of five times as much as this.

But the Ouya would be destroyed by that PC in not only GFX but also the number of games it can play.

I smell one heck of a lawsuit brewing. Online gaming shows you that people are out there to ruin your experience, hack your console. If this console is designed to be hacked, I don't foresee security being there whatsoever. Can you release something with the open ability to ruin other peole's machines? Denial of service is serious stuff.

Lawsuit potential #2: this will be a breeding ground for emulation, so wouldn't the big anti-piracy guys (Nintendo, etc.) try to prevent this in the first place? I might be wrong here, seeing as you could apply what I'm saying to computers. Though computers have ROMs and emulators (duh), you don't see anyone blocking the sales of them.

*double facepalm

Being able to "hack" your console has nothing to do with cracking into someone else's!

Emulation is not illegal and iOS and normal Android have them.

davepoobond

You would be surprised (though you shouldn't) how hard it is for some people who are perfectly capable of plugging up any other device. Again though, my point was about accessibility, most people do not want to go out and build a great PC just to plug up to their tv. If they did there wouldn't be millions of consoles out there. The Ouya is no different from that, because it is a console, not a PC. Unless you're trying to argue there is no market for consoles at all?

There is a market for consoles. I'm arguing there is no market for THIS console. I'd even concede that there is a market for another console, just not what this one has proposed to do with the specs it has unless they plan on yearly updates.

Yes, but do you really think these people are going to allow games that do not run on their device on their official game store? Of course not, this isn't a phone or a pc, they are selling this as a console, if a game does not run on the hardware it won't be up for sale. It's really as simple as that. The same goes for controller support, as of right now the console only comes with a controller, nothing else. It's a safe bet to assume every game in the official store will require controller support by default.

But with no touch screen and no accelerometer support, it will increase costs and perhaps even block many games that would otherwise have released.

Yes but there isn't currently a console market for those developers and based on the interest in this so far there seems to be one just waiting for a box that provides for them. Again, this is about having a simple device you plug into your tv and know it will work. I can't currently get steam on any of my consoles, a console maker wanting to make a steam-like experience is great because currently MS/Sony/Nintendo do not care about that at all.

I'm not saying it will catch on and be successful enough to be even worthwhile for developers, in the long run, but you're acting confused as to why this product exists when it's very clear why. Most people do not want to mess with the hassle of building and setting up a PC when they can just plug a box into their tv to play games. If they did consoles would cease to exist.

you're right that people like to have an easy-to-use hardware that will plug into a TV to play. But i think we're going to be surprised next gen when consoles go batshit insane with their different strategies.

this android box might be simplistic for the end user (one would hope, who knows how the console's OS will end up being) but this is missing some very big features from a normal android machine that will question some game's portability and design decisions.

SparkTR

this is my biggest worry, will any developer after the launch be bothered to spend time and money doing a custom version for this thing?

It depends entirely on how well it sells in the mass market and how large of an issue piracy will be. At the very least it will be a cheap low-end emulation and media machine.

What I cannot understand is this. This console is supposed to be sold for 99 bucks even after it is released. Pledging 99 bucks puts your money at risk meaning that they can do a runner with it. Then, why just wait to buy once it is out, risk free?

*Facepalm

PCs are plugged into TVs the same way consoles are!

But the Ouya would be destroyed by that PC in not only GFX but also the number of games it can play.

Some PC's are plugged in the same way as consoles. And as I've already said, you can run into problems with resolutions, and setting up your surround sound is a bit harder. And you have to find codecs and shit if you want to play different media types.

A decent computer destroying this is besides the point. If you're in the market for a cheap media player (which is what they should sell this as) you probably aren't going to jump to a $400 PC. I know tons of people who have media players. I know one other person who plugs their computer into their TV. Even though it seems simple to us, it is beyond most people if only for the fact that they would never even dream of it.

What I cannot understand is this. This console is supposed to be sold for 99 bucks even after it is released. Pledging 99 bucks puts your money at risk meaning that they can do a runner with it. Then, why just wait to buy once it is out, risk free?

To get it first. And you figure you save a bit by not having to pay taxes.

But with no touch screen and no accelerometer support, it will increase costs and perhaps even block many games that would otherwise have released.

the controller has a touchscreen though.

It depends entirely on how well it sells in the mass market and how large of an issue piracy will be. At the very least it will be a cheap low-end emulation and media machine.

i have such a machine already for 60$ ;D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingoo_A320
(yes its not in HD but its the perfect emulation machine and it can be hooked up to the TV)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Some PC's are plugged in the same way as consoles. And as I've already said, you can run into problems with resolutions, and setting up your surround sound is a bit harder. And you have to find codecs and shit if you want to play different media types.

A decent computer destroying this is besides the point. If you're in the market for a cheap media player (which is what they should sell this as) you probably aren't going to jump to a $400 PC. I know tons of people who have media players. I know one other person who plugs their computer into their TV. Even though it seems simple to us, it is beyond most people if only for the fact that they would never even dream of it.

To get it first. And you figure you save a bit by not having to pay taxes.

I'm sorry... people who can't even dream of plugging a PC into a TV are not going to be able to use this thing as a media player. How are they going to get all of their content on there? I guess if this thing gets major support from Netflix and Amazon, but that's all up in the air.

People with no clue probably aren't on Kickstarter backing this thing.

People with no clue are probably going to buy an Apple TV or a Roku or something.

I'm sorry... people who can't even dream of plugging a PC into a TV are not going to be able to use this thing as a media player. How are they going to get all of their content on there? I guess if this thing gets major support from Netflix and Amazon, but that's all up in the air.

People with no clue probably aren't on Kickstarter backing this thing.

People with no clue are probably going to buy an Apple TV or a Roku or something.

Well, yeah it depends on getting Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. But, as I said, I know plenty of people who have media players of different varieties who would have no clue how to get their computer hooked up to a TV, and would never even think of it. And it may just flat out be inconvenient for them, since a lot of people don't have computers near their TV. This also has wifi, so in theory you could stream your media off your PC.

Kafel

Banned
The game demos really look like shit, and the biggest problem is not them not looking pretty. I was ready to send them $99 but I'm glad I watched that video first.

Top Bottom