• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Spokeys

Yea, I just went through the process again but it kicks you back to the OUYA pledge page with a message saying the project has ended. Oh well.

edit:now i'm scared because i just got an e-mail saying I authorized a 129.00 Dollar payment and my pledge page on OUYA says 99 dollars still...really hope I don't get charged twice.

DiscoJer

Weird - it looks like it's stuck on 0 seconds. It should have a green banner saying "Funded! This project successfully raised its funding goal on August 9th"

DiscoJer

Okay, now it's finally over

63,413 Backers $8,596,178

edit: Or maybe my math is wrong. 145 backers between the supposed end and official one, and $16,000, so $110 each and yeah, my math was wrong.

dLMN8R

Yep, feeling pretty vindicated to have not contributed. I'll take the extra $20-30 and the satisfaction knowing that they actually delivered a product on time and of expected quality instead of spending my money now and having it be in limbo for the next 5 months.

ant3b

I backed this just for the XMBC from the start and plex.

The games are a bonus plus other things.

Sounds great and its cheap :)

saunderez

That's why I ended up not backing it, I will be shocked if it does end up shipping to backers and it's actually what they advertise.

I'll be shocked if it isn't. Android devices similar to the Ouya are being pumped out of factories in China as we speak, this isn't something new.

saunderez

edit:now i'm scared because i just got an e-mail saying I authorized a 129.00 Dollar payment and my pledge page on OUYA says 99 dollars still...really hope I don't get charged twice.

That's what happens when you up your pledge, I did so for another project and had the same thing, was only charged once. It's just Amazon confirming they're gonna take the new amount instead of the old amount.

border

I'll be shocked if it isn't. Android devices similar to the Ouya are being pumped out of factories in China as we speak, this isn't something new.

Do similar devices have a wireless controller with a touch panel?

What I found a little crazy about the whole proposition was that wireless controllers without touch are generally marketed for $50-$60, and the Ouya crew was promising an entire console plus a touch controller for not much more money.

DiscoJer

What I found a little crazy about the whole proposition was that wireless controllers without touch are generally marketed for $50-$60, and the Ouya crew was promising an entire console plus a touch controller for not much more money.

That's because MS (and Sony) overcharge for their peripherals. If you look at ebay, knockoffs go for about $15.

And since there is no rumble, no fee for that.

That's because MS (and Sony) overcharge for their peripherals. If you look at ebay, knockoffs go for about $15.

Agreed.

I always found paying €59,95,- for the DS3 to be very overpriced. I'd rather buy a new game and just use a third party one.

saunderez

I just bought a PS3 fightpad for $7. It's pretty damn good (for arcade games anyway). I think that point is irrelevant due to massive overcharging on console peripherals.

Oxn

So I backed out at the last minute, and now I have 140bucks burning a hole in my pocket.

What should I buy? Im thinking a SSD.

Lothars

It will. but how good the controller buttons are is a total crapshot.
It very well might but will it do everything it's advertised? your right about the controller it's up in the air.

If you don't yet have an SSD...BUY AN SSD! Best PC hardware purchase in the past decade.
Agreed, My only regret about buying an SSD is I didn't buy a larger one but I want to correct that soon.

Oxn

If you don't yet have an SSD...BUY AN SSD! Best PC hardware purchase in the past decade.

Do it.
If you've never experienced computing with an SSD, you just might be amazed.

Im trying.

Originally I was planning to buy in the Fall so that maybe I can get like a 512GB for 300ish, but Im trying to find a good deal now.

I won't settle for less than 240GB.

And I probably won't get any brand outside of Samsung and Intel.

Im trying.

Originally I was planning to buy in the Fall so that maybe I can get like a 512GB for 300ish, but Im trying to find a good deal now.

I won't settle for less than 240GB.

And I probably won't get any brand outside of Samsung and Intel.

And here I am managing with 64GB :p

Just switch games around to a normal HDD and use symbolic links for stuff like steam. I don't think the extra price (which is alot) justifies the extra space.

border

The 3rd party controllers are kinda garbage, though (on Xbox I don't even think they're wireless). These guys are promising "the Stradivarius of controllers".

Lexxon

And here I am managing with 64GB :p

Just switch games around to a normal HDD and use symbolic links for stuff like steam. I don't think the extra price (which is alot) justifies the extra space.

60GB was a struggle for me if I wanted to keep a large game on the SSD, and not eff with Windows' installer and sxs folders, which can grow a lot over time. Upgraded to a 256GB, moved steam and blizzard games to the SSD...lovin' life.

You can get a good 256GB for $150-180 when the right deal pops up.

1-UP

Banned
Even though screenshots of the million-dollar game Minecraft were featured in the video it has not actually been confirmed to be released on the OUYA. Mojang has never even stated that it will be and this worried many gamers, not only because their favorite game might not be released but also because this form of false advertising could be worrying for future releases.

“No, we haven’t tested Minecraft on our hardware. Mojang approved everything we said in our video, and clarified… that if we build the product as promised, Minecraft and other Mojang games will be on it,” Uhrman elaborated and adding to it. “Notch has also personally supported the Kickstarter with a very generous pledge.”

What to think? :/

dLMN8R

You guys are just figuring this out now? It's why so many of us have been skeptical as all hell about this from the very beginning.

i hate to be that gaf negative nancy but, 8 million down the drain.

tegra 3, really? In the face of, Durango and Orbis?

i actually recently had an epiphany and think the idea of android gaming on tv with a controller for a low price just MIGHT have some validity. Maybe. We'll see. Talk about hooking your phone to your TV making this device redundant all you want, but nobody ACTUALLY does that (and if they do, they still dont have a physical controller). But they'll need to keep the hardware up to date to have any chance, aka Tegra 4 ASAP.

Imagine if this thing did have Tegra 4

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/10/3149067/ouya-should-really-launch-with-tegra-4

Tegra-4-348x196.jpg

By the time OUYA comes out, the NVidia Tegra-4 should be out. Already underpowered compared to the XBOX and PS3, will the masses embrace cell phone games? If OUYA is supposed to get 30% profit on each game sold from developers, couldn’t they subsidize better hardware?

By the time OUYA comes out, the NVidia Tegra-4 should be out. Already underpowered compared to the XBOX and PS3, will the masses embrace cell phone games? If OUYA is supposed to get 30% profit on each game sold from developers, couldn’t they subsidize better hardware?

People buy systems for fun games or new experiences. They don't buy them for their technical specs.

I don't know if the Ouya will deliver on either of those two, but people are having a really weird hangup about that third thing being a requirement to compete in the gaming business.

People buy systems for fun games or new experiences. They don't buy them for their technical specs.

I don't know if the Ouya will deliver on either of those two, but people are having a really weird hangup about that third thing being a requirement to compete in the gaming business.
You fail to see better hardware will offer developer more creativity. If technical specs was not important we would still be playing Atari 2600.

Being that Tegra 4 offers so much more at the same price why not use it?

MercuryLS

Banned
You fail to see better hardware will offer developer more creativity. If technical specs was not important we would still be playing Atari 2600.

This is a big pile of bullshit. You can do a lot with so called "limited" machines that are pretty damn creative. You don't have to be pushing the tech envelope all the time.

DiscoJer

Er, because it's probably not the same price? Not to mention, I imagine Ouya will hit the manufacturing stage (I would guess in Jan?) before the Tegra 4 is available.

This isn't a giant company making it that can afford to subsidize hardware costs and hope to make it back on software. I'm sure they went with the Tegra 3 because it gave them the best bang for the buck.

And at the end of the day, you're still basically taking about a tablet quality device. It's not going to compete with the 360/PS3, much less next generations.

It's essentially a device to hopefully be able to play tablet/phone games on a TV.

With that said, some games can look a hi-res original Xbox quality, I'd say. Shadowgun looks pretty good.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/tablet-chip-showdown-nvidia-tegra-3-vs-the-new-ipads-a5x

If games like that only cost a few bucks, I can put up with those graphics.

Top Bottom