• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

suikodan

I pledged my 99$ for this. I expect to have iPhone-like quality games except that they'll play on my TV. If the Ouya can achieve that, I'll be satisfied.

Vyer

I pledged my 99$ for this. I expect to have iPhone-like quality games except that they'll play on my TV. If the Ouya can achieve that, I'll be satisfied.

$99 Apple TV would do that for you now, though I think that depends on the game.

emag

$99 Apple TV would do that for you now, though I think that depends on the game.

As would the $99 Vizio Co-Star, although it's only up for pre-order. The Co-Star is positioned primarily a entertainment/streaming box (it's a Google TV device), but has official access to the Google Play store and OnLive.

Raistlin

So Plex + XBMC + OnLive! All that's missing is AirVideo, Hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon Video (I'm sure they'll come around) and this thing will be the best budget TV extender ever conceived.
Assuming XBMC hits the Vizio Co-Star with HW acceleration ... I'd argue that's the best budget TV extender.

gcubed

Assuming XBMC hits the Vizio Co-Star with HW acceleration ... I'd argue that's the best budget TV extender.

XBMC on Android is being built primarily for ARM Google TV devices, so it and the Sony box will be getting it.

I like this idea of Ouya, i just am hesitant to keep money pre-plopped down on it and just buy it when it releases if it gets good indie support

The market-leading iPad 2, iPhone 4S (a cell phone from 2011), and new iPad (3) say hello. All trounce the Tegra 3 (with the current iPad doing so by a factor of 2-4x).

They don't "trounce" Tegra 3. While the iPad 2's GPU was faster than the slowest Tegra 3 device that was about to launch (and the iPhone 4s being a slightly slower iPad 2), and the iPad 3's GPU is twice that speed, Tegra 3 devices these days can run faster, especially since this one doesn't have to worry about battery life or being in a super tiny enclosed place. And while the iPad 3 GPU is double speed, it's pushing four times the pixels, so in real life it tends to be *slower* than iPad 2 for retina games.

And that's of course all on paper - in the real world, the best looking games on iPhone and on modern Tegra 3 Android device like the Nexus 7 are the exact same games, and look and run the same. Right now the power differences aren't enough for any currently-selling device to really have an advantage, let alone any "cell phone from 2011".

If anything that should show this console has potential. I will definitely buy one when it's officially released. :)

50,000+ guaranteed consoles owners day one, is pretty cool.

Yeah, they are about to crack 60,000 pledges. It's amazing considering this isn't a preorder, but a specialized donation in hopes that in 7 months they will deliver a game console. If they can get this kind of number from Kickstarter this far in advance, imagine how amazing the real preorders will go once they open up a couple months before launch (especially since by then we'll know of a lot more games launching with it, and will probably even have video of those games running on hardware).

onQ123

Namco Bandai
OUYA & NAMCO BANDAI Games are chatting right now, and we want to know what all of you gamers want to play.

Post up right here and let us know!! Sky is the limit and the power is in your post. It could be any of our games, we just need to know what the COMMUNITY wants!

If you agree with any other suggestions, don't forget to "like".

https://www.facebook.com/NamcoBandai

Even Namco is getting on board

Even Namco is getting on board

I'd imagine there is a huge gulf of understanding between what Namco think people want and what people think Namco are actually offering.

What people want: Soul Calibur, Tekken, Dark Souls, Ridge Racer

What Namco want to offer: RallyX HD, PacMan HD, Galaga HD, Xevious HD, $8.99 each

I canceled my pledge when the OnLive announcement was made. Was interested in modding this to do all sorts of things, but why bother using Ouya when you can already do that with tablets now?

OnLive makes this thing almost an OnLive console first. Not interested in anything associated with OnLive.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What people want: Dark Souls

Sort of seems like theres more a gulf of understanding on what experiences this box is going to bring to me!

Were I a richer man I'd plonk monies on this just as an XBMC box, but my PS3 is doing well enough for me to not just splash out on frippery.

onQ123

I'd imagine there is a huge gulf of understanding between what Namco think people want and what people think Namco are actually offering.

What Namco want to offer: RallyX HD, PacMan HD, Galaga HD, Xevious HD, $8.99 each

which are perfect for a android console.

All of those bigger titles could come to this platform, albeit in audio-visual condition less than what's possible with the top of what current-gen HD consoles can offer, but still very playable and good-looking. Even if they go lazy and just bring ROM emulations, I'd buy a Rolling Thunder HD.

Durante

All of those bigger titles could come to this platform, albeit in audio-visual condition less than what's possible with the top of what current-gen HD consoles can offer, but still very playable and good-looking.
There's no way you could run Dark Souls on this. It drops to 10 FPS on platforms that are at least 6x more powerful.

There's no way you could run Dark Souls on this. It drops to 10 FPS on platforms that are at least 6x more powerful.

I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to simply try and port it over. There's absolutely zero in the game, design and experience-wise, that couldn't be brought over quite seamlessly. Visually, it would take a bit of a hit, but that's what good art direction used to be about in games when it comes to making do with what you've got.

Durante

I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to simply try and port it over. There's absolutely zero in the game, design and experience-wise, that couldn't be brought over quite seamlessly.
Reductionism to that extent avails us nothing. By the same token you could run some bastardized mockery of the game on PS2 as well.

MauryLaughing.gif

Nailed it.

Reductionism to that extent avails us nothing. By the same token you could run some bastardized mockery of the game on PS2 as well.

I get that you're into advances for sake of them and demand a level of quality of some measure. I never felt my experience with DS, or most games for that matter, was dependent on the high level of technical visual quality, but it was made worse when visual quality over playability was prioritized, as seen in the barely playable framerates in the console versions. Personally, I still get more immersed in decidedly primitive-looking games, like Ultima Underworld, King's Field, and Arx Fatalis. That's just me, though, since I've long lost my valuation and lust for visual advancement as a replacement for creative art design.

zaidr

When you guys are mentioning this is a media extender, or "tv extender", do you mean you can play your own files from your media library on your computer on your tv (which I guess is what XBMC does), or do you mean video from websites like dailymotion and firstrowsports and whatnot?

Jeff-DSA

For the Ouya, I'd prefer the latter set of games, actually.

Salacious Crumb

When you guys are mentioning this is a media extender, or "tv extender", do you mean you can play your own files from your media library on your computer on your tv (which I guess is what XBMC does), or do you mean video from websites like dailymotion and firstrowsports and whatnot?

Both.

Satchel

Banned
Just pledged $119, allowing for postage to Australia.

Hope I wasn't scammed.

This looks cool.

edit: So given this thing is Bluetooth and so hackable, I should be able to use both a Dualshock and 360 controller on this thing right?

If it actually unfolds this way: sounds like Namco has a better idea of what's right for this box.

I think the main reason I'm rooting for this is: I hope it applies pressure to the so-called big three. NOT when it comes to big budget releases, but instead on the XBLA/PSN/etc. front. We read all the time about how dopey and restrictive those platforms are; if this is even somewhat successful, maybe it will help shake things loose.

Orayn

Neither the wired 360 controller nor the wireless one with a dongle can be recognized as the kind of driverless USB controller that the Ouya is likely to support by default. You might be able to use a wired one with a 360 to PS3 adapter, but that's it.

why would anyone want to use a ps3 or x360 controller when the ouya one looks sooo good.

Agreed. They seem to be pushing the ergonomic ideas behind the 360 controller even farther, and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Orayn

That's too bad. Gonna need a good replacement pad if that official controller is as uncomfortable as it looks, preferably one that mimics the X360 one (with a hopefully better D-pad).

Have you seen the back side of the Ouya controller? Take a look at some of the models they handle in the preview video - The shape looks pretty similar to the 360 controller's, just with longer "wings."

Top Bottom