• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Have you seen the back side of the Ouya controller? Take a look at some of the models they handle in the preview video - The shape looks pretty similar to the 360 controller's, just with longer "wings."

That may be, but until I get to try it for myself, I'll be skeptical about it since I've tried many pads that bite on that specific design yet fail to be anywhere near as comfortable to use.

im being dramatic, but the 140 i put up for the LE is a substantial amount of money for a company that can just take you money and bounce without any legal reprocussions

You could always go $99. I just don't see the LE looking that good. It's plastic trying to look like wood. Put that money towards an extra controller if anything.

Oxn

You could always go $99. I just don't see the LE looking that good. It's plastic trying to look like wood. Put that money towards an extra controller if anything.

no can do. brown is one of my favorite colors. so its either back it up for 140 or not at all and just buy it when it gets released.

Dingotech

Man with the deadline looming I'm now tempted to pick one up...

I suppose my main justification would be replacing my WDTV Live media player. Anybody got any thoughts on if the Ouya might do a better job? (Potential wise)

I'd also dig emulation options coming from it as well.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So apparently, Amazon decided to recently 'temporarily disable' my Payments account. Even though I'd shopped on Amazon recently, and even used it to pay for cloud hosting. Couldn't get an order to go through.

.....So I made a new Amazon account, and that went through just fine.

And apparently, Kickstarter's support will contact you directly if you try to back a project several times but don't succeed in doing so.

Alchemy

Im sure soul calibur for DC or tekken 1-tekken tag, and ridge racer is possible.

Technically sure, but you need to convince Namco that the Ouya is going to have the consumer base to make anything beyond shoddy ports of old games worth it.

Technically sure, but you need to convince Namco that the Ouya is going to have the consumer base to make anything beyond shoddy ports of old games worth it.

Why do people keep saying that, when Namco specifically mentioned Tekken and Ridge Racer? Admittedly, they didn't specifically promise those games, but the fact that Namco choose to mention them in their blurb on the Ouya page is a very good sign.

Dingotech

Thinking it over I might hold off on investing.

A lot of the more recent really successful kickstarters are struggling to fulfill the higher order volumes they ended up with.

Best of luck to everybody though, I hope it's a really successful project and that I can jump on board once it goes to Market. :)

Satchel

Banned
Have you seen the back side of the Ouya controller? Take a look at some of the models they handle in the preview video - The shape looks pretty similar to the 360 controller's, just with longer "wings."

It looks amazing

But I'm thinking in terms of adding extra controllers without forking out for extras. For multiplayer.

Lexxon

I'm skipping on this for now.

No web browser shown, the controller seems unproven.

When it debuts for real, I'll give it an honest look.

Assuming this thing is as hackable as a Nexus device, there will be a plethora of browsers and custom software builds for this thing. Although, it could end up being a similar situation to a Kindle, Nook, or similar device--if they strip down Android and remove some core components, apps will not universally work. There will be "stock" AOSP Android builds made available, but all of the OUYA features will probably not work on such a build.

Will be very interesting to see it play out. If this thing works well as an XBMC server (which I've never tried, but hear great things about) and I can get myself a low-power server or storage array going, I think I'll be getting a LOT of use out of this baby.

I just backed this, really looking forward to it. This is basically the type of device I've been hoping Apple would come out with for years now. Can't wait to support it as a dev.

zroid

Banned
So it's finally almost done, huh. I'm not a backer, but I sure am curious to see how it all turns out. Actually tempted to chip in a buck just so I can get the backer updates.

DiscoJer

So it's finally almost done, huh. I'm not a backer, but I sure am curious to see how it all turns out. Actually tempted to chip in a buck just so I can get the backer updates.

There might not be any - I've followed a number of KS projects that I didn't pledge to and very few of them have had backer only updates after the fact

well had a moment of oh why not and backed this thing. Trying to learn more about android dev when I have time so this could be a little inspiration. Plus like others have said it should make a nifty little tv box for the spare, meaning i can put my 360 back in the loungeroom:) went for the regular plus an extra controller, LE with shipping to Australia & a second controller was a little bit more than I need to spend.

Risible

I would buy this on a whim, but I keep getting this nagging feeling that it's going to go south. I can't really explain why. It seems far too ambitious a thing to be delivered in March of 2013. I mean they barely have a prototype and they are going to ship the device in 6 months? It seems unpossible.

I've backed other things for far more money (I'm looking at you, CoolMinisOrNot and Reaper Miniatures) but those had a proven track record and actual products to show. This just seems so hinky to me. I keep saying "Fuck it, I'm going to pledge again" and at the last minute talk myself out of it.

I would buy this on a whim, but I keep getting this nagging feeling that it's going to go south. I can't really explain why. It seems far too ambitious a thing to be delivered in March of 2013. I mean they barely have a prototype and they are going to ship the device in 6 months? It seems unpossible.

I've backed other things for far more money (I'm looking at you, CoolMinisOrNot and Reaper Miniatures) but those had a proven track record and actual products to show. This just seems so hinky to me. I keep saying "Fuck it, I'm going to pledge again" and at the last minute talk myself out of it.

I figure even if it gets delayed we'll get something. No way all the backers walk away with nothing. Worst case scenario we get a crap device.

toneroni

Ended up not backing it at the very last min. Barely use my ps3 and 360 and my tvs are all smart tvs. Always wanted XBMC and love emus so will be keeping tabs. I doubt this would cost more than 99 at retail anyway.

Dicer

Banned
Flipped a coin, not backing...I really want this to happen, but they already have more than enough to get it up and off the ground.

off-the-shelf chipset and OS, it's possible. but they're well covered already so you might as well wait and see.

Risible

off-the-shelf chipset and OS, it's possible. but they're well covered already so you might as well wait and see.

Yeah, that was my decision. I love playing with new hardware, but I fear this will end badly. I'll buy one if it turns out to be a success.

DiscoJer

I understand the skepticism of Kickstarter. But this project seems solid to me.

They've got the guy who helped put the Amazon Fire together, which is pretty close to this in terms of hardware.

They've got that Yves Behar guy who has designed gimmicky electronic devices.

They've gotten numerous people in the game industry willing to let them be name dropped (and back with money in some cases). Notch and Brian Fargo in particular.

They've gotten deals with Squenix, Bamco, Onlive. Granted, for the first two, tentative support presumably with just Android ports. But presumably they had to show them some sort of game plan in order to get even token support.

Beyond that, there are a number of similar devices, including that Raspberry Pi thing. It's not something particularly radical, the only really innovative thing is the touchpad on the controller.

Personally, I think if the project hits any snags, it will be because of patent trolls. I'm sure they'll come out as soon as the KS ends.

It really eats at me a little how so many of the answers seem to be the equivalent of "Sure, why not?" or "We'll take a look at that!"

But I've committed my $99. I keep debating about adding a second controller, since I know they're probably going to be hard to come by initially, but I'd rather keep my gamble lower now and pay for it later, even if they have to raise controller prices after the initial batch. I really hope they find a compromise to allow development on it, while not restricting use of the store. I'd prefer not to buy a second box just to attempt amateur development.

i hate to be that gaf negative nancy but, 8 million down the drain.

tegra 3, really? In the face of, Durango and Orbis?

i actually recently had an epiphany and think the idea of android gaming on tv with a controller for a low price just MIGHT have some validity. Maybe. We'll see. Talk about hooking your phone to your TV making this device redundant all you want, but nobody ACTUALLY does that (and if they do, they still dont have a physical controller). But they'll need to keep the hardware up to date to have any chance, aka Tegra 4 ASAP.

MercuryLS

Banned
i hate to be that gaf negative nancy but, 8 million down the drain.

tegra 3, really? In the face of, Durango and Orbis?

i actually recently had an epiphany and think the idea of android gaming on tv with a controller for a low price just MIGHT have some validity. Maybe. We'll see. Talk about hooking your phone to your TV making this device redundant all you want, but nobody ACTUALLY does that (and if they do, they still dont have a physical controller). But they'll need to keep the hardware up to date to have any chance, aka Tegra 4 ASAP.

XBMC
Emulators

Even if this thing flops as a legitimate console, it is worth $100 for those two things alone. Personally I'm fine with Tegra 3, limitations means that devs will have to get creative. The last thing we need is another high-spec 3D shooterbox. I want to see this machine be more focused on fun, quirky 2D titles with light 3D games. Tegra 3 should be able to do that easily.

XBMC
Emulators

Even if this thing flops as a legitimate console, it is worth $100 for those two things alone. Personally I'm fine with Tegra 3, limitations means that devs will have to get creative. The last thing we need is another high-spec 3D shooterbox. I want to see this machine be more focused on fun, quirky 2D titles with light 3D games. Tegra 3 should be able to do that easily.

Pretty much the exact reason I picked it up...

Run my NAS to this in place of a boxee/roku/appleTV/whatever...

I went with the 140 limited brown version... I actually think it looks pretty refined in that color. A bit like the beautiful DSXL executives! haha

border

Who cares if it can compete with Sony and Microsoft?

I'd be a lot more concerned about whether or not this thing will ever even ship to backers.

Top Bottom