• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Got my email.

I'm leaving my current apartment on the 18th and I'll technically be homeless for the following week.

So that could get interesting.

methodman

Banned
I just got mine in, haven't tried it out yet. Will update after Warriors game. Seems like a lot of Cali heads are getting theirs first?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is anyone like me? One email about getting ready to ship but no second tracking number email?

Still nothing here, although i'm in the limited edition group which were shipping/producing later. Also I requested that they change the email in my contact details which they replied saying they had done, yet still when I log in it has the old email address to which I have no access, so for all I know they could have shipped it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Finally got my tracking number. It's incredibly obnoxious how the shipper is listed as Julie Uhrman. Give me a break. What an ego.

I actually got my shipment 2 weeks ago...
This thing is pretty useless out of the box unfortunately. It's a pretty big let down and since there's no way to access normal apk with out some work, it's gonna be a PITA for normal people to enjoy it.

And the controller is really shitty

Exactly my first impressions. Whoo boy. I honestly expected even XBMC to be part of the native marketplace at this point. Bit of an inconvenience to the end-user to have to sideload stuff. Let's hope the actual launch brings more games and apps, I want to use this as a mini-HTPC.

Exactly my first impressions. Whoo boy. I honestly expected even XBMC to be part of the native marketplace at this point. Bit of an inconvenience to the end-user to have to sideload stuff. Let's hope the actual launch brings more games and apps, I want to use this as a mini-HTPC.

I thought they said that XBMC would come preinstalled? So is it not an Ouya specific branch?

Thats what I expected too, I was wondering why it wasn't even on the market... checked the Ouya Forum and confirmed that people have simply been sideloading xbmc.

The worst part is that you can't use the keyboard in xbmc with the dpad. have to use the trackpad, what a pain.

Thats what I expected too, I was wondering why it wasn't even on the market... checked the Ouya Forum and confirmed that people have simply been sideloading xbmc.

The worst part is that you can't use the keyboard in xbmc with the dpad. have to use the trackpad, what a pain.

That kinda sucks, can you use a bluetooth keyboard at all? Will have to read up when mine arrives...... 'should' be any week now!

e_i

Got mine yesterday:

Build quality is pretty good. The left plate on the controller was loose out of box though. I like the UI.

Just got the #myouyaiscoming email this morning.

According to the email, I'm #15912 and it's heading to the UK. No shipping email as of yet.

HYPE
?

Gustav

Banned
This thread is moving considerably slower than the Oculus Rift one. Looks like OUYA lost a lot of momentum.
Plus, the first GAF reviews aren't that hot on it either. I am very interested how this thing will perform on the free market.

LiK

Mine arrived yesterday~

C9A8AE25-5722-4B15-85A1-2A8E10AC1765-5252-0000054BEA21BE4E_zps72782f6b.jpg

fritolay

I received my OUYA. Shipping took a little while after I received my first shipping email notification. Here is my backer mini review.

My first impressions out of the box - One of the sides of my controller was popped off. This was first indication this controller was crap. Then I realized you had to put a AA batter in each side, requiring you to take the face plate off each side. It just doesn't seem like that design will be durable.

The back trigger buttons, they squeak and feel like an early 1990 3rd part knock off controller. The middle touch controls the mouse which will appear when you use it. It doesn't control very good.

The little console itself is quite cool looking. I like it.

When I booted up the OUYA, I was just floored how crappy the UI is. It was slow, the game images for each game take a long time to load. You can read the text of the game, but the image such as cover or title, take way too long.

You have to download each game. (The downloads were fast, which makes me wonder why other things on the UI are slow). Then once you have it downloaded you have to install, and this takes you to the familiar Android window which shows which permissions the game allows. I am not 100 percent sure, but I think some of the games ported over still list permissions you would get if you installed it on an Android phone so they don't make sense.

The sound they chose with the UI, they SUCK! I cannot believe how amateur the UI and sounds are. More on this at the end.

The games, not many. Some are crap, others are OK. They don't all have a way to exit the game. You just have to hold the middle controller button down which I am not sure if it kills the game and takes you back to the menu, but then the menu flashes twice for some reason, like it loads, stops, loads again.

Could this be an inexpensive system with cheap games that provide fun? Yes, kids seem to like it. Interesting even they mentioned how cheap it the controller feels.

The mouse point appears when you hit the center pad, but you have to face the controller towards the console. The mouse appears and disappears, and it is not always clear if you should be using it in the menus or what input device is best, it is confusing.

How is this system now? Well they have some work to do if they launch next month. I don't think it is ready for retail and it will bomb hard after word of mouth gets out, which makes me sad. Going back to th eUI and sounds, it seems like a twinturbo type knock of system of an old game console, with a slapped together UI that someone put together paying the cheapest pay out to someone offering programming services online per hour. They whole thing seems not only cheap but rushed and crappy from the time you boot it up. Since they can update this and make it looks nice, and games will come later, it can be saved. As it is right now if it release like this people are going to say "this sucks!" and go back to playing games on their tables probably where other cheap games are.

Benedict

Received my email three hours ago.

Let's see what comes first, the console or me being able to track the package...

Your order was shipped via DHL Express Worldwide, and is estimated to arrive May 22, 2013 - May 23, 2013.

(Please allow 24-48 hours for tracking number to be recognized on the carrier website.)

*Because we are shipping from outside the U.S., please allow up to a week for the tracking information to be accessible.

Got my shipping email this morning. Tracking link is up now, although it appears to be chilling out in Hong Kong at the moment.

Still... totally hyped to receive it, and even more excited to play games without providing a serial number to gain permission.

Since they can update this and make it looks nice, and games will come later, it can be saved. As it is right now if it release like this people are going to say "this sucks!" and go back to playing games on their tables probably where other cheap games are

They will not have the same out of the box experience as you did - you're essentially using a beta, and I expect significant changes by retail launch.

Chris R

Finally got mine. The unit it self is decent, but I'm having non-stop issues with controller syncing. Also, the ethernet port is basically worthless (no apps would download over ethernet). Also kinda pissed that the "Root instructions in the box" line was a load of bs, hoping there is a good guide I can find though, didn't buy this for the OUYA store. The twitch app on the OUYA store is extremely limited.

Mairu

Finally got mine. The unit it self is decent, but I'm having non-stop issues with controller syncing. Also, the ethernet port is basically worthless (no apps would download over ethernet). Also kinda pissed that the "Root instructions in the box" line was a load of bs, hoping there is a good guide I can find though, didn't buy this for the OUYA store. The twitch app on the OUYA store is extremely limited.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2272266

I personally was able to use the ethernet port to download apps - Yep, the Twitch App is shit :/

Got mine last Friday...even though I held out hope for it (to the point of yelling at people on gamingside for kneejerk schadenfreude reactions to early reviews), futzing around with it for an hour shows that it's kind of a waste of money. Downloaded a SNES emulator and accessing the UI is really wonky. The Ouya's own UI is also really janky and kind of thrown together, like they programmed it at the last minute just to have something to show.

One other thing I don't like is that the damn thing turns on when I turn my TV on. If I wanted to play you, I'd hit you in the head, little machine!

Bboy AJ

Is it easy to get emulators on this thing? N64? How does that run?

Overboost

Got mine last Friday, messed around with it for a couple of hours since then.

I was expecting to have Plex and XMBC available from day one in the App section of the Discover menu, but nope. Do I have to load them on manually via USB? If so, come on. This should work like the Roku interface.

No games worth playing yet, although No Brakes Valet is pretty hilarious (until you learn there's a button to apply the brakes).

Ouya said:
Yep, 100 percent of all early backer orders have successfully shipped this week from our warehouse in Hong Kong and are en route to all of you still waiting patiently for your OUYA.

And yes … that means ALL early backer orders -- regardless of your geographical location, standard edition or limited edition, extra controllers, etc. -- if you are an early backer, your OUYA is on the way!

Q: I received a shipping email but when I click on the link it says it’s not yet in the DHL Global system -- is this normal?

A: Yes, this can happen and is normal in some cases (see the answer above); we’ve learned through trial and error that it sometimes takes more time than we’d like for shipments to be scanned and become trackable for our customers. That said, the orders are still moving in your direction and the ability to track a package doesn’t restrict the delivery schedule.

Anybody still waiting on a despatch notice?

Top Bottom