• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

XBMC running on Ouya (skip to 2:08 if you just want to see them using XMBC. The video starts out with the developer showing off the device.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB-H4j9hfLE

The thing I'm noticing there is the pace of it. Transitions are smooth and artwork is loading in pretty quickly. This is a big step up from the Raspberry Pi versions I've been using. Really looking forward to getting this hooked up to my network, depending on how it goes I may consider another for the living room as a media centre box too.

Great find. The Ouya could end up being my main media box now. :)

Same, I'm currently just streaming from my NAS direct to my TVs built in player. BUT i'm a sucker for navigating through box art rather than blue folders on my TV screen. Depending on how well it runs over my network I can see myself picking up another for the lounge.

do we have any idea yet if this will ship with dts or dd support? That will make or break living room use for me...

Can't wait till mine gets here either way though. Excited to mess around with it in general.

I haven't tried it myself on OUYA, but XBMC does support DD and DTS on Android, both passthrough over the HDMI cable and downmixing to stereo.

Zukuu

Banned
I have no clue about IOS/Android/Smart Phones /Tablet, but want to play them Tower Defense games so badly. So, enlighten me Ouya-gaf, how does it work? Can I play any android smartphone game on Ouya, or does it need to be made "ouya-compatible", since there is no touchy-touchy available?

nampad

You can modify your Ouya to run Android on it, but the stock version is running a modified Android OS (Ouya OS). Games have to be made Ouya compatible and released on the Ouya storefront.

Also, there is a touchpad in the middle of the controller and there are tower defense games without touch interfaces.

You can modify your Ouya to run Android on it, but the stock version is running a modified Android OS (Ouya OS). Games have to be made Ouya compatible and released on the Ouya storefront.

Also, there is a touchpad in the middle of the controller and there are tower defense games without touch interfaces.

Is that true? The Ouya dev version can just run any apk. And since "the Ouya IS the devkit" the retail version would have to be able to run apks too.

nampad

That how I understood it but I could be wrong. Haven't backed so I don't follow every news. Still pretty interested and hope it does well.

That how I understood it but I could be wrong. Haven't backed so I don't follow every news. Still pretty interested and hope it does well.

Yeah I imagine the retail units will still have the "Dev" section, since they have to to still be dev kits. You can find plenty of videos of the dev kits running Android apps and emulators and stuff. Here's Rami from Vlambeer showing it off on Gamekings (in Dutch, but there's subtitles).

So I can play any game on it?

You can try to, yes. Though there may be compatibility issues with an apk file you pull from your phone and try to play on an Ouya. Since I think that places like Google Play can serve out different versions of an app depending on what kind of phone you are using to download it. But in theory it should be able to at least run most apps that Tegra3 devices can run.

Not sure how the touchpad works, like if it is automatically detected by touch based apps or what. You can map the Ouya buttons to correspond to keypad arrows/buttons for games that have that kind of control support.

And again this is based off the dev kit's user interface. Not sure what exactly will change in the retail unit, but it should have to retain the ability to load up apk files in some fashion for development purposes.

Note that while the OUYA can run any APK, it will not have access to the Google Play store, so you can't play any game on it bless you can somehow get access to that game's APK.

And the dev kits aren't 100% like the final units, so it's not guaranteed what you can do on a dev kit can be done on a final device just as easily. For example, the dev kits are rooted, the final devices won't come rooted (and rooting a final device, which is supposed to be easy to do, may remove access to the OUYA App Store).

For the TouchPad, Android has support for a virtual mouse to emulate a touchscreen, and that's what the TouchPad does. So it will work with all Android apps, but of course it isn't multitouch, and isn't quite the same as using a touchscreen so some games wouldn't be playable with it.

eggwolio

For example, the dev kits are rooted, the final devices won't come rooted (and rooting a final device, which is supposed to be easy to do, may remove access to the OUYA App Store).

That seems to completely counter their "hack it, do whatever you want to make it your own" mantra. You're telling me that if I root my device, which I own and have every right to root, I can no longer buy games from your store? Really? Stuff like this makes me glad I wasn't an early backer. I can still walk into GameStop and cancel my pre-order if this is in fact true.

It's what they originally said. They were going to include instructions on how to root the device and make it really easy, but while it was rooted you wouldn't have access to the OUYA app store, and possibly not any apps you downloaded from it. Because of that, they were going to also include instructions on how to *unroot* the device. So that way, people who wanted to get hacky could do so, people who just wanted to play games could do so, and people who wanted to do both could do one at a time (probably as a simple security measure, so someone wouldn't root the device and then install software to make it easy to intercept calls to the In-App-Purchase system or pirate OUYA apps).

However, it's been a long time since they've really said anything about that, and they've made other policy changes since then, having gotten feedback from customers and developers and getting experience themselves working with the device. So it's very possible that that has changed.

eggwolio

I must be missing something... why? Not a fan of hdmi?

My receiver only has optical and coax and I'm not in a position to upgrade anytime soon. Our TV will pass the audio from HDMI to Optical but it drops it from Surround to Stereo. It's not a huge deal, just sort of a bummer until we're able to upgrade.

My receiver only has optical and coax and I'm not in a position to upgrade anytime soon. Our TV will pass the audio from HDMI to Optical but it drops it from Surround to Stereo. It's not a huge deal, just sort of a bummer until we're able to upgrade.

Oh I gotcha. Rereading your post I'm not sure why I thought you were implying you preferred one over the other, just making crap up in my head I suppose.

You may try looking into a hdmi converter. I know there are a few out there that can split the signal to optical so you could run it straight to you receiver. I'm pretty sure a friend has one that works pretty well. I'll see if I can get ahold of him and find out some more info.

Game's going good, though it didn't *quite* get completely done in time for launch, though it'll be there. I submitted an 0.9 build of my game today to the OUYA store, so whenever that gets approved, people will be able to play the game from beginning to end (hopefully it gets approved quickly, there's an 0.8 build already up there that just isn't ready for the public yet). I'm probably going to submit 1.0 this weekend - there's a couple things left to do towards the end of the game, and a bunch of little things I'd like to tweak before I call the game done.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Are we supposed to get shipping notices today or what?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What happened to shipping on the 28th? I get that not all will be shipped today but it seems as if none shipped today.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
What happened to shipping on the 28th? I get that not all will be shipped today but it seems as if none shipped today.

Apparently some people got their shipping email today. They made an official statement over twitter:
https://twitter.com/playouya/status/317380062661980160
9eMGBzM.png

Hoe to read some impressions soon. Is there some kind of launch lineup?

They just posted this:

As of 7:59 p.m. PT, there are already 104 published games on OUYA (all still free to try), like Final Fantasy III and some new surprises we think you’ll love: Beast Boxing Turbo, Stalagflight, Knightmare Tower, and even one called Save the Puppies. There are already a few entertainment apps, too. You can watch the TV shows and movies you already own with XBMC and Flixster, or watch games streamed through TwitchTV.

And developers are releasing new games for OUYA everyday. Eight thousand developers have created developer accounts with us so far.

Email get 10 minutes ago. Can't wait!

But... but... people on GAF told me it was a scam? Weird.

I'm actually pretty stoked on the Flixster integration... all those UV copies can actually be played on the tv now.

Top Bottom