• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

Mairu

Well at least input lag won't matter for xbmc! Hope this functions well as a streaming box at worst and they fix these lag issues before the 'real' launch

Potential dealbreakers like controller lag = why I didn't go for the first rev and passed on the kickstarter.

I wonder if there is lag if you plug in a 360 controller.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Email get 10 minutes ago. Can't wait!

But... but... people on GAF told me it was a scam? Weird.

I'm actually pretty stoked on the Flixster integration... all those UV copies can actually be played on the tv now.
What letter does your last name start with? Wondering if they're going A->Z.

Blackhead

Redarse
Potential dealbreakers like controller lag = why I didn't go for the first rev and passed on the kickstarter.

I wonder if there is lag if you plug in a 360 controller.
might not even exist
johnny_eh said:
I don't know where this is coming from. I can't perceive any lag in my unit when playing all sorts of games. I've hooked up an xbox 360 controller and there's no difference. There's no more input lag on an ouya than on an xbox 360 as far as I can tell.
There are a couple games built using an older version of the ouya Unity plugin that introduced some lag, so that might explain it.
Full disclosure: I am an employee of OUYA. But any developer that has had a dev unit for the past 3 months can chime in. We never got this feedback until a couple people in the press brought it up.
Or the lag isn't a real problem
johnny_eh said:
I know where the statements are literally coming from, but not why they're saying it :)
We'll find out soon enough.

adroit

Was anyone else appalled that the reviewer's idea of "hackability" was the ability to install stolen (pirated) APKs? Is that seriously what he thinks "hackability" means??? That's not hacking. That's just plain stealing. I guess the original meaning of hacking has been completely lost. The majority of people now think "hacking" means doing something illegal. Even people who should know better, not just the average Joe on the street.

Mairu

Was anyone else appalled that the reviewer's idea of "hackability" was the ability to install stolen (pirated) APKs? Is that seriously what he thinks "hackability" means??? That's not hacking. That's just plain stealing. I guess the original meaning of hacking has been completely lost. The majority of people now think "hacking" means doing something illegal. Even people who should know better, not just the average Joe on the street.

Sideloading does not mean piracy. The ability to install APKs not limited to what's available in the Ouya Store doesn't mean only pirated software

Blackhead

Redarse
I stopped reading at the controller section when then he started whining about the letters for the buttons. Dumbest complaint ever.

I stopped reading at the controller section when then he started whining about the letters for the buttons. Dumbest complaint ever.

I get the complaint about it, there's already three different button layouts among Nintendo, Sony, and MS. And the way it's laid out isn't in line with the way I typically think about the other layouts.

AB XY, BA YX, XO Square/Triangle and now... OA UY?

Also "A" should never be "go back". A = forward. Sounds like they took the Xbox layout and just renamed the buttons instead of taking the Nintendo layout which at least matches up A with A.

I agree that the button statement they made is dumb - on Nintendo consoles, A is on the right. On Xbox 360 consoles, A is on the bottom. On PS3 consoles, it's all shapes and colors. Yet this guy says that A is on the bottom on "every other manufacturer ever". It's not a console flaw, just one of his preferences, so it shouldn't have been so negative in his review.

Chris R

so did anyone get it yet? do they send out shipping emails? i got nothing.

I got an email saying they just got back from taking a bunch of days off for Easter and some Chinese holiday and would be back at making and shipping full speed. They also said that you should get an email one week before your unit ships... :| Here is hoping I get mine before August

Chris R

The shipping chart that was sent to backers looks decent, if not a little overly optimistic. Hope to have mine before May is over since I backed towards the end of the Kickstarter.

I'm wondering if Ouya is going to be able to support Hi10p video. I'm not sure if any affordable device (for use with TV) does at this point, other than building a media center PC, right?

This is what XBMC says about it:

XBMC said:
Hi10P won't work on ARM or even Intel ATOM processors (maybe one day, but none of the current ones in 2013 can do it). Hi10P can't be hardware decoded (which is to say, no one makes hardware decoders for them and no company plans to add Hi10P hardware decoding in the foreseeable future), which is what Raspberry-Pi, Android, ATOM processors, and some AMD APU systems require for smooth playback of demanding video (Hi10P is very demanding). Thus, Hi10P requires CPU/software decoding.

A safe bet would be at least a core2duo processor (or equivalent AMD) or higher.

Peagles

My understanding from the other update was that LE and international backers were getting last priority. That's me in both cases so I don't expect to see mine any time soon.

Wubby

Going by the backer update I got in the mail today...

AND, no matter where you live, UK, Canada, Japan, or Germany, or the US, I’m happy to report those shipments pick up steam next week.

I guess I can perhaps expect my shipping notice next week then. I'm in Japan so that would be me! Regular system + 1 controller.

foxdvd

still no shipment on my ouya..backer 780. I am sure though I will get another email today showing a chart that tells me how great a job ouya is doing shipping out their product.

As for this week’s progress...

We successfully eclipsed 50 percent of units shipped and remain ahead of schedule to complete all shipments by the end of May
This completed our first production run, and now our tools are all operating as we intended to reach our weekly max capacity
Limited edition consoles began rolling off production lines
International shipments were slowed slightly due to an issue identified with the power adapter (note: the issue was caught prior to production and has since been resolved -- these are expected to significantly increase next week as a result).

50% shipped and like 1 guy in this thread got an email.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I got an email earlier this week about my ouya shipping. It said another email with tracking information would come. I haven't received that email.

Mairu

still no shipment on my ouya..backer 780. I am sure though I will get another email today showing a chart that tells me how great a job ouya is doing shipping out their product.

wow, that's fucked up. I got a shipment notification yesterday and I'm backer 44124 :(

Lucis

I actually got my shipment 2 weeks ago...
This thing is pretty useless out of the box unfortunately. It's a pretty big let down and since there's no way to access normal apk with out some work, it's gonna be a PITA for normal people to enjoy it.

And the controller is really shitty

Top Bottom