• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things I am irrationally worried about: what if getting you matched on horrible teams that don't coordinate drops your MMR, which then puts you into even worse teams that lose even harder (I mean I know that's not supposed to happen because opposing team will also be shit, but), until eventually you're playing with people that don't understand how mice work and just like lick the underside of the optical sensor to make their characters spin around or something.

Like the gaming equivalent of Flowers for Algernon, what if I'm actually getting stupider every time I play?

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Finally broke down and bought 5 boxes because I am weak. Pulled a Legendary!

Zarya's lameass cybergoth skin.............

ElyrionX

People who main snipers are the fucking worst. Snipers fit a very specific role in this game and when you need to take an objective, they just stand back somewhere and don't contribute jack shit to anything.

Our team would not have been competent in our Genji skills. Plus this team was watching each other's backs. They knew what they were doing.

It's easy to reflect a Bastion's bullets/ult back at him for a free kill. I don't quite understand how more Bastions would make reflecting harder.

Alternatively, why not play some ults off of each other (like Hanzo's to go through the walls or Lucio's to make a big push behind a tank)? If they're all Bastion then they won't have a lot of HP. A Pharah or Widowmaker could also pop some serious damage through the window in the courtyard through potshots.

Like yeah, it can be hard on offense. But why should attacking be easy?

Nah both points favour turrets and robots drastically.
Gonna have to agree to disagree.

First point is a Genji playground: it takes about 15 seconds from spawn to be on point from angle they can't cover while effectively holding the gate, and then you can kite people all around the point while grabbing health packs over and over (there are three health packs on the left flank, two of which are large). Tracer, Pharah, Reaper, and even Hanzo can also be there in no time at all. All of those characters also happen to be good against Bastions and Torbjorn, and Symmetra turrets aren't a problem if you know where to expect them.

On the second point, any coordination between a main gate push and a balcony attack shreds turrets. Genji, again, can get in there easily, and a good Dragonblade wipes out their fancy turret array. Tracer, Reaper, and Pharah also cause havoc. Widowmaker/Hanzo/McCree/Pharah have amazing sight lines from the main door with Reinhardt protecting them.

The second point is tough, no doubt, but I'd be happier to see them setting up turrets than I would finding a McCree, Mei, etc. patrolling the area. But some of those key fights between flankers and anti-flankers are my favorites in the game. Poking and probing until you can stack ultimates.

KarmaCow

Things I am irrationally worried about: what if getting you matched on horrible teams that don't coordinate drops your MMR, which then puts you into even worse teams that lose even harder, until eventually you're playing with people that don't understand how mice work and just like lick the underside of the optical sensor to make their characters spin around or something.

Like the gaming equivalent of Flowers for Algernon, what if I'm actually getting stupider every time I play?

The secret is that you were actually being carried in the games your team won. You're just reverting back to your original state.

I had thgis one game with a Bastion on the upper level, a Turret on the lower level and 2 snipers on the inner roof on point B and it was literally impossible to attack. There's too little in regards to approaches on that map for my taste.

Haines

Banned
Finally broke down and bought 5 boxes because I am weak. Pulled a Legendary!

Zarya's lameass cybergoth skin.............

No offense but then people in this same thread wondering why box drop rates are low.

I bet blizz is making a killing off if people.

I'll never buy one. Earning then is actually one of the most enjoyable parts of the game for me. Don't care if it's full of sprays. Just makes the good drops feel even better.

abundant

The second point is tough, no doubt, but I'd be happier to see them setting up turrets than I would finding a McCree, Mei, etc. patrolling the area. But some of those key fights between flankers and anti-flankers are my favorites in the game. Poking and probing until you can stack ultimates.

Oh God, I played a game on Hanamura the other day against a good McCree. Made it almost impossible to group up and execute a strategy to capture the final point.

I have some major gripes with this game now. The more I play it in pubs the more I generally dislike it. Which is upsetting.

Play with groups then. The only downside is that the level of competition rise drastically, due to the fact you're now playing against other groups.

nOoblet16

Man I can't play this game properly right now, the connection issues have become far too frequent and due to the nature of the game it always happens mid fight or when I am about to fight. It's disheartening to have you go into a fight that you can win and then this happens and by the time it fixes itself you are dead.

This short burst where everyone but me in the game stands still for 3 seconds followed by a high ping for the next few seconds, happen far too often. I experience these atleast 5-6 times every match so at times I can't even play for a minute before experiencing the next lag. Sometimes it'd be fine but it becomes a lot worse during evenings when there are a lot more people playing the game.

It's definitely not my connection because this does not happen anywhere else.

Haines

Banned
I have some major gripes with this game now. The more I play it in pubs the more I generally dislike it. Which is upsetting.

Just need to wait for the casuals to jump to the next game and better modes like competitive to come.

It's a great game but the players make it and until that gets sorted out you can only take pubs as cause fun.

MartyStu

Man I can't play this game properly right now, the connection issues have become far too frequent and due to the nature of the game it always happens mid fight or when I am about to fight. It's disheartening to have you go into a fight that you can win and then this happens and by the time it fixes itself you are dead.

This short burst where everyone but me in the game stands still for 3 seconds followed by a high ping for the next few seconds, happen far too often. I experience these atleast 5-6 times every match so at times I can't even play for a minute before experiencing the next lag. Sometimes it'd be fine but it becomes a lot worse during evenings when there are a lot more people playing the game.

It's definitely not my connection because this does not happen anywhere else.

Hmm. I believe you, but I I have never experienced anything even approaching this.

EndMerit

That feeling when you're playing Mercy and you find and team up with godlike Soldier 76 and you two become force to be reckoned with.
And then equally godlike enemy McCree joins the game and makes everything that much more of a challenge.
And then that McCree joins your team and the three of you just Katamari Damacy everything.

Feels great.

Calcium

Banned
22 hours played and I still haven't touched Zarya, Lucio and Genji. Less than an hour of playtime on a handful of other heroes too. To think I was worried about burning out quickly after playing beta.

My friends and I vs lirik (my IGN is protekt1)

I was on tilt due to lag issues but still played okay. Other rounds we got rekt, but we also had unwilling randoms. We weren't running any decent comps, just random picks lol. We didn't even have a support that game.

My favorite part "these guys... I don't think they miss"

Ivan 3414

Whichever team has 2 widows wins in Route 66. Hate that map.

Winston is a great counter for Widowmaker. Just leap to them and circle around them with your beam. You don't need to aim. They do. You'll kill them even if they put a full assault rifle kill in you. Then just jump back to your team or a healing kit lol

spiritfox

Woo Mariachi Reaper! Time to DIE DIE DIE.

epzgBRC.jpg

It's easy to reflect a Bastion's bullets/ult back at him for a free kill. I don't quite understand how more Bastions would make reflecting harder.

Alternatively, why not play some ults off of each other (like Hanzo's to go through the walls or Lucio's to make a big push behind a tank)? If they're all Bastion then they won't have a lot of HP. A Pharah or Widowmaker could also pop some serious damage through the window in the courtyard through potshots.

Like yeah, it can be hard on offense. But why should attacking be easy?

They also had a lot of ults to help out their maneuverability situation. They were on their toes and movie.

Gurrry

Im gonna have to play every hour of every day to keep my roadhog in top 100 lol. I didnt play much yesterday and dropped from 200ish to 400.

I know masteroverwatch isnt the end all be all, but Its giving me something to strive for while I play rather than just lootboxes, which is starting to drive me a little insane.

Oh God, I played a game on Hanamura the other day against a good McCree. Made it almost impossible to group up and execute a strategy to capture the final point.
Yeah, on defense I almost exclusively play McCree at the front balcony. You can hassle everyone trying to set up on the main entrance with LMB and stun/fan flankers that try to come through the holes (or rush through to your left side balcony). If they do push through the main entrance, you're then above them shooting at their backs.

I save my ult for their stronger pushes, when you can unload either from the balcony or by dropping down behind the main gate. Some of the most effective Deadyes I've ever had have come from those spots when people were distracted by the fighting on the point. You can also use it just to zone them, and then cancel to save 50% charge.

(The ideal comp for me here is a Reaper assisting me or going to their backfield to kill squishies and stagger respawns; Mei on the right side shutting down that choke to their flankers and dropping the occasional blizzard on the point; a Torbjorn doing whatever it is Torbjorns do, I don't care; Winston denying the point and assisting everyone with a quick leap if needed; and a Mercy or Lucio to keep things clean. Lucio is probably better because he can contest the point.)

Tecnniqe

Banned
Had 2 people stand in a line as Widow.
100% charged headshot

Bullet passes through first persons head and hits the person behind.

WAT

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No offense but then people in this same thread wondering why box drop rates are low.

I bet blizz is making a killing off if people.

I'll never buy one. Earning then is actually one of the most enjoyable parts of the game for me. Don't care if it's full of sprays. Just makes the good drops feel even better.

Yeah I agree, I'd rather earn them. Just figured I'd try it once because $5 really isn't anything. Nah. Won't make that mistake again.

If you try and solo heal as Zenyatta or Soldier 76 you're gonna have a bad time.

If everyone learns the maps and health pot spawns, there's no reason for a dedicated healer except during concentrated pushes.

Even then, I'd opt for an extra body with displacement power.

Nothing pisses me off more than a Tracer spamming "I need healing!" Go get some fucking healing, then.

R0ckman

Winston is a great counter for Widowmaker. Just leap to them and circle around them with your beam. You don't need to aim. They do. You'll kill them even if they put a full assault rifle kill in you. Then just jump back to your team or a healing kit lol

Harassed a Widow for a whole match in king of the hill as Winston. You would think they would switch out eventually.

SDCowboy

Nah

People really need to learn to wipe their own butts sometimes

To an extent, I agree. But this is a team focused game. Healers should be focusing mainly on healing as their heals are much needed. Healers healing is an integral part of the game when it actually happens. lol

Firebrand

People who main snipers are the fucking worst. Snipers fit a very specific role in this game and when you need to take an objective, they just stand back somewhere and don't contribute jack shit to anything.
I like to play objective Hanzo, hehe. Most of the time though when I pick though there'll still be 1 or 2 others picking him or Widowmaker so I end up switching to another role.

I do love when a Widowmaker (or sniper in any game) scolds the team for being bad and not capturing / defending the objective. Really, guy?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Wish I could filter out the attack/defense maps for awhile. I'd much rather be playing point capture mode. Those always ends in a big brawl that's just so much fun.

R0ckman

In 1v1s that self healing block is useful but if people gang up on Mei, unless we're on Brawl, it's relatively tricky to get her out of a situation unless you somehow ice wall between you and the enemy while in a corridor etc. Even though I play as Mei a lot and love her that self healing block could get a slight nerf in healing and probably its health.

Edit: Sounds like i should try Lucio. I love Mercy but Lucio seems quite cool, I just don't "get" him yet. Feels like i'm never sure if i'm healing people

Use Zayra in Brawl agaisnt mei, impossible to freeze you, your sheild removes the slow, used it during her super and walked the hell out. All she can do is stall for her death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom