• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every single match I play, no matter what map or objective, the first two slots immediately fill up with a race for the snipers. Sometimes you don't need two snipers, I think that you actually don't need any snipers a lot of the time in this game. I wish they would just leave, and play CoD instead.

Eric WK

So last year Blizzard unveiled new HotS content at the PC Gaming Show during E3. I'm guessing we won't be getting anything similar for Overwatch, since no appearance has been announced, but it seems like a prime opportunity to unveil ranked mode details and a new hero.

So last year Blizzard unveiled new HotS content at the PC Gaming Show during E3. I'm guessing we won't be getting anything similar for Overwatch, since no appearance has been announced, but it seems like a prime opportunity to unveil ranked mode details and a new hero.

Sombra is Pharah's mom and she isn't proud of her because she's a bigot and didn't like PharMercy much.

That's why she's on Reaper's side. :^)

Canucked

When you play with a random team and you dominate and you hope you'll carry on to the next game but there aren't enough players.....

Spice_Girls_-_Goodbye.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Same reason why people refuse to pick a character that helps the team, they want to have fun.

I played Tracer today in a pug game. I was part of the problem for once. I locked on to Tracer from the start, didnt change, didnt care what comp we had. I was going to play Tracer to "learn" her.

We lost. The game was not fun, not because we lost but because it was meaningless. I learned nothing, it was literally a waste of my time (and of the other 5 people). I dont understand the notion that this is "fun".

https://overwatchtracker.com/heroes

Break down of win percentages for each hero. Not a tier list, but interesting how it breaks out. Mercy is usually a liability.
Most Mercy players are fucking stupid. Healing the wrong people at the wrong time, failing to think and evaluate situations (eg. Enemy team has a reaper that hasn't ulted in awhile...maybe I should hang back out of site as I'll probably need to res my team soon). Poor situational awareness on a support that requires high situational awareness.

I played Tracer today in a pug game. I was part of the problem for once. I locked on to Tracer from the start, didnt change, didnt care what comp we had. I was going to play Tracer to "learn" her.

We lost. The game was not fun, not because we lost but because it was meaningless. I learned nothing, it was literally a waste of my time (and of the other 5 people). I dont understand the notion that this is "fun".
That's the key. Stubbornly playing a character you're trying to learn likely won't get you anywhere if you persist too long.

To reiterate this excellent post from /r/OverwatchUniversity

Everybody has to learn to play the game - most people understand that. However, new players also have a responsibility to communicate this, and also realize when they should switch to a more comfortable character.

It's amazing how much more understanding someone is to a new player who is actively communicating. Starting out a match with "Hi, I'm a new player with Reinhardt - let me know what I can be doing better" works wonders, as it gives more experienced players a heads up that you might need some guidance or some extra support.

New players also should try to listen to constructive criticism and be willing to cut their losses. If you've been playing a Reinhardt and someone 50 ranks higher than you says "if you see Torb setting up a turret, launch a fire strike at him" - acknowledge that somehow, even if it's a "thanks" emote - and DO IT. Also recognize that you probably suck. If another person on the team says "How about I role RH for a little bit" - move aside! You aren't forced to practice new characters the entire match. If things aren't working this match, it is often best for the team if you switch to a character you are better with - if you're playing a tank or support, let the team know though!

An example of this: I'm trying to learn Zarya. There have been a lot of matches, especially early on, where I've been absolutely horrible with her. I'm pretty sure a Mercy solo killed me once. When I recognize that "Wow, I want to learn Zarya, but these opponents are just too careful around her" - I switch to a character that I can contribute with. Over a dozen matches starting with Zarya and then backing off when I need to, I finally have become competent with her. You can learn characters in bursts.

Always keep in mind that this is a team game. Experienced players should absolutely be understanding of new players, but new players also should realize that if they're having a particularly tough match with a character, switching off for the rest of the match can be the difference between your team losing and winning.

Satch

Banned
Most Mercy players are fucking stupid. Healing the wrong people at the wrong time, failing to think and evaluate situations (eg. Enemy team has a reaper that hasn't ulted in awhile...maybe I should hang back out of site as I'll probably need to res my team soon). Poor situational awareness on a support that requires high situational awareness.

preach, king
dac15_angry.gif
dac15_angry.gif
dac15_angry.gif
dac15_angry.gif
dac15_angry.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's the key. Stubbornly playing a character you're trying to learn likely won't get you anywhere if you persist too long.

To reiterate this excellent post from /r/OverwatchUniversity

I did it out of boredom / experiment. Like I said I dont see the point, the fun, in playing the game how its NOT intended to be played.

Since I usually play Mercy I don't know what others are like with her. Sitting at 54% wins with her now

She's the easiest support to play according to Blizzard ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

She's the easiest support to play according to Blizzard ¯_(ツ)_/¯
she is not especially hard to play conceptually, but she's the support most likely in harm's way and bad decisions with her have bigger consequences than most supports. It's important for her to heal, but it is also important that she NOT die. So as a front line support, one has to play smartly in positioning, in choosing the right moments and the right times to res. How many times have we all been res'd around 3 enemy heroes only to be blown up again? Your Mercy not only wasted her ult, but in effect gave you an 10 second death cam instead of a 5 or 6 second one. One also has to understand what the enemy team wants to do and what methods they want to use to kill your team so that you can figure out how to swoop in with the c-c-c-combo breaker ult. There is much nuance to Mercy. I have great respect for those who play her well. They are few and far between. Most of the time, I'd rather see my friends play Lucio than fail with Mercy and not realize they're doing it wrong.

OSHAN

I have enough coin to buy a legendary of my choice, and during the slow climb to this point I was thinking of the satisfaction of getting a skin of my choosing, but damn, this is hard. I like playing all the characters.

Satch

Banned
Id much rather have a Lucio than a Mercy (when not going Lucio myself) to be honest. Having Mercy tends to make people play worse

yep because people are suddenly expected to take care of the safety of their own character and then to babysit a healer

i played a game earlier as zarya and i missed shielding her once and she died, then she didnt heal me the rest of the game. like id rather not have you at all if the healer relationship has to be this toxic lol

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You literally aren't aimimg for shit with shotgun reaper my man. Just hold the button. And Hanzo sees more play than widow on console.

You misunderstand. I myself don't have issues aiming with Reaper on console. It's others who do. Smart uses of reapers make him a better character though.

KarmaCow

Man some really terrible games today. Straight up got rocked 7 games in a row and I felt like I couldn't do anything for most of them. I think I'm somewhat competent but it was like my brain just fell out and I couldn't comprehend what was happening on screen or react to it.

Gator86

My god, higher level players are such relentless shitlords. They refuse to take on any fight they might lose to preserve their KDRs, so you wind up with 5 assholes constantly trolling the edge of the map for a chance to get an easy, uncontested ult when the other team is distracted. If you're dumb enough to actually try to do anything of value, congratulations, half a dozen people are about to fuck you.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
My god, higher level players are such relentless shitlords. They refuse to take on any fight they might lose to preserve their KDRs, so you wind up with 5 assholes constantly trolling the edge of the map for a chance to get an easy, uncontested ult when the other team is distracted. If you're dumb enough to actually try to do anything of value, congratulations, half a dozen people are about to fuck you.

Would the game benefit from the addition of team deathmatch?

Gator86

Would the game benefit from the addition of team deathmatch?

There's no game mode where an entire team can sit on the outside waiting to get easy kills from behind. At let couple people have to actually play. I've had so many games where I'm literally the only player from my team on my screen the entire game. Everyone else is just lurking in the shadows. It's fucking infuriating. If you get irritated and do the same, then you lose in minutes because there's literally nothing even slowing the enemy team and no one will jump in because they have no teammate distraction.

Rhaknar

There's no game mode where an entire team can sit on the outside waiting to get easy kills from behind. At let couple people have to actually play. I've had so many games where I'm literally the only player from my team on my screen the entire game. Everyone else is just lurking in the shadows. It's fucking infuriating. If you get irritated and do the same, then you lose in minutes because there's literally nothing even slowing the enemy team and no one will jump in because they have no teammate distraction.

Never seen this. If anything usually my team is all dead not hiding. Although to be fair I rarely play pugs these days. Again I have to ask is this a console thing?

Gator86

Never seen this. If anything usually my team is all dead not hiding. Although to be fair I rarely play pugs these days. Again I have to ask is this a console thing?

Maybe, I'm on PS4. I could just be getting garbage teams. Well, somehow more garbage than usual. Who knows?

Lucio is annoying cause you can't headshot him from behind and most of the time he's running away from you and bodyshots are not enough to down the speedy healy fucker

Tingle

I almost wish they wouldn't track the K:D ratios. Its really meaningless for almost every character, and just leads to people acting moronically to improve the stat.

Zereta

yep because people are suddenly expected to take care of the safety of their own character and then to babysit a healer

i played a game earlier as zarya and i missed shielding her once and she died, then she didnt heal me the rest of the game. like id rather not have you at all if the healer relationship has to be this toxic lol

While I would never do that, I get really angry when as a healer (only because no one else ever wants to be one), I get no support at all from my team. I primarily play Lucio because he's more self-sufficient.But when I do try Mercy and Zenyetta, it always feels like I have no support. I always end up doing a real solid amount of support work but I still get angry messages because I couldnt join the lone Genji out in the front or the lone sniper on an attack push. I'm sorry but I have to prioritize my healing targets too.

Those are definitely not high level players.

Rhaknar

When I read some of you guys accounts of the console experience, and seeing as not only are characters strenghts different on consoles and pc because of the controls, but the balance changes will be different aswell, I wonder if there should be seperate threads for console and pc versions :/

Some of you sound like you are playing a different game sometimes

Son Of D

When I read some of you guys accounts of the console experience, and seeing as not only are characters strenghts different on consoles and pc because of the controls, but the balance changes will be different aswell, I wonder if there should be seperate threads for console and pc versions :/

Some of you sound like you are playing a different game sometimes
For now I'd say keep them together. But when the versions start to greatly differ, then separate them.

Or just make two threads when we go to community.

redhot_

What's the word on the match making in this game? My team of level 30ish keeps getting matched with these 90++ basement dwellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom