• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started seriously playing on PC and I'm so bad. Getting used to Mouse and Keyboard is so difficult and it's hard for me to focus on what's going on because of it. This bums me out.
You'll get used to it in time. Some general pointers so that you don't fall into potentially bad habits: keep mouse acceleration off, and try to keep your sensitivity as low as you can handle. A good measure of getting a sensitivity to get used to is seeing what's the lowest you can go while still being able to comfortably turn 180 degrees quickly.

Just had some serious "Goddamn why am I playing this on the weekend" games.

I've noticed something. Not many people play Sombra, but in gold, the people who do, seem to be really toxic.

komaruR

This is the weird footage about the Widowmaker that just finished uploading, is that something I should be worried about or most likely lag or something like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ8GuCunNZ4

reminds me of how ppl try to abuse the aim assist and how the hit registration system like in the old cod days on console. something like the drag shot. like drag and the scope to near the target vicinity/body as close as you can and quickly shoot then let the hit registration system figure out if its a hit or miss.

was reading the battle.net forum and came across this topic https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753347954
quite interesting. i remember some1 posted their sr match that got match up to top500 6stack while they are in the plat/gold tier a while ago

exYle

I've noticed something. Not many people play Sombra, but in gold, the people who do, seem to be really toxic.

I get pretty salty playing Sombra sometimes. My best guess is this: Sombra is a hero that really, really requires team coordination. So if you put in a lot of effort, for example, to coordinate your EMP with your team (telling them your ult is ready over and over, then asking them to group up) and then they don't capitalize? Frustrating as hell. Though I can't speak for gold players.

maomaoIYP

was reading the battle.net forum and came across this topic https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753347954
quite interesting. i remember some1 posted their sr match that got match up to top500 6stack while they are in the plat/gold tier a while ago

It happens here in Asia during peak hours too.
Jeff already commented that they're working on it. If you ask me, the simplest fix would be to tighten up SR differences between teams for people who play in stacks.

Cappa

Banned
Through all the hardships we prevail
fcJwZlS.png

congrats..... I was one game away from Master. Ended up losing 4 in a row, and all 4 losses were bad, like atrocious like not the other team was way better bad... like people were purposely throwing.

Azoor

I noticed that as well. She can be pretty damn powerful if played well though.

Mendrox

The problem isn't that people don't try, exactly. The problem is that the ones that try are always on the other team.

I played about 15 games today, and I had maybe 3 my team wasn't a bunch of chuckleheads doing stupid shit. Yet time after time, the enemy team had their shit locked down. Triple tank backed by Ana and Lucio or Zenyatta, Soldier and Pharah being buffed with an mercy that flowed out of range every time, Reinhardts that knew what the fuck they were doing. I think I saw maybe 4 teams that weren't operating like a well oiled machine.

I feel like a conspiracy nut, but there are days, and this is one of them, where the game just says "You are going to lose today. Every time."

Edit:

My life

Edit 2: jesus, why am I still playing. I dropped 300 points, this should be like my 8th loss in a fucking row, and even in this low, pathetic rank that I am in, competent players do exist...but only on the other team. seriously, why do I get 1 healer and 1 tank, while the other team has a soldier who maintains the highground with expert markmenship while Mercy buffs him? Why do I have to go up against the Ana that combines ults with her team every time?

?

Stop playing after two immediately loses in a row. You will keep losing if you don't do that lol

It happens here in Asia during peak hours too.
Jeff already commented that they're working on it. If you ask me, the simplest fix would be to tighten up SR differences between teams for people who play in stacks.

I think the issue the dev team has with that is that you would simply never find a game.

maomaoIYP

I think the issue the dev team has with that is that you would simply never find a game.

There can't be all of just 6 dudes at that rank playing at any one time. And frankly speaking I think everyone except those 6 dudes would actually prefer that. Serve the greater good!

ISOM

?

Stop playing after two immediately loses in a row. You will keep losing if you don't do that lol

Sometimes you would never play the game if you just stop after two losses. I remember once when I ended a session after a few losses then got back on and had more losses. If you enjoy the game it is an annoying break that really doesn't do anything. Just play the game weather the losses and hope that you go on a winning streak eventually. If you don't feel like playing of course stop but arbitrary stops seem pointless.

I am up to 1750 now. For anyone who has been reading my posts, I was all the way down to 1000 earlier this season. I am carrying much less, but it does happen. Roadhog is still my favorite hero, but I've been forced to play a lot of different stuff as I climb.

i got to a season high of 2907 last night and i'm scared to play any more LMAO

wanted to get diamond this season but i think i've left it too late

last night i was in a game where we had a mei who literally never contested (like that is the point of mei, right? she is super survivable and excellent in last ditch situations) and i couldn't carry through it cus i'm not good enough.

that said I've been losing like 20sr on a loss and gaining 50sr on wins so idk what the hidden mmr is doing

Skii

RIP Reaper.

This is based on a program that watches streamers and collects data on team composition. It's got quite a big sample size so it's a decent reflection of pick rate at each level.

Soldier, McCree, Genji and Tracer are the best DPS by far. But it's quite funny that Sombra has a higher pickrate than Reaper from platinum and upwards.

Mendrox

Sometimes you would never play the game if you just stop after two losses. I remember once when I ended a session after a few losses then got back on and had more losses. If you enjoy the game it is an annoying break that really doesn't do anything. Just play the game weather the losses and hope that you go on a winning streak eventually. If you don't feel like playing of course stop but arbitrary stops seem pointless.

But then people shouldn't complain that they always get the same shitheads in their teams. You are changing instances by quitting the game and rejoining. Also a short 15-30 minute break to bring yourself into a relax state again is not an annoying break, but rather something that many people should take into consideration so that they don't bring their team down every time when something doesn't work out immediately at the begining of a match.

Jellie

RIP Reaper.

This is based on a program that watches streamers and collects data on team composition. It's got quite a big sample size so it's a decent reflection of pick rate at each level.

Soldier, McCree, Genji and Tracer are the best DPS by far. But it's quite funny that Sombra has a higher pickrate than Reaper from platinum and upwards.
Probably because of Cody. Just become a top 500 reaper main streamer. He's still decent.

ISOM

But then people shouldn't complain that they always get the same shitheads in their teams. You are changing instances by quitting the game and rejoining. Also a short 15-30 minute break to bring yourself into a relax state again is not an annoying break, but rather something that many people should take into consideration so that they don't bring their team down every time when something doesn't work out immediately at the begining of a match.

It depends on the person. Not everyone is going to get tilted after a set limit of losses but if you are sure a break is needed to not get tilted and play badly then do it. And as I said you can stop playing and get shit heads again just due to randomness. As a general rule it seems rather pointless to just stop playing the game because of a few losses.

Skii

Probably because of Cody. Just become a top 500 reaper main streamer. He's still decent.

Lol you know I barely play Reaper now. Don't even play him in QP.

Like even on KOTH in comp when I pick him, I always do pretty badly until I switch to Soldier/Genji.

Soldier has basically ruined Reaper.

Jellie

Lol you know I barely play Reaper now. Don't even play him in QP.

Like even on KOTH in comp when I pick him, I always do pretty badly until I switch to Soldier/Genji.

Soldier has basically ruined Reaper.
I like reapers on my team when I'm zarya. Bubble him and he can get close to them for the kill or gives your charge before escaping. Plus the ult combos nicely.
Worked well on that volskya game last week. 6 man death blossom.

Skii

I like reapers on my team when I'm zarya. Bubble him and he can get close to them for the kill or gives your charge before escaping. Plus the ult combos nicely.

But is it worth bubbling a Reaper or would it be better to have a Soldier who doesn't get into those situations and you can save the bubble for the hook/pin?

I don't even think the Roadhog nerfs are really going to make Reaper viable. I've seen the light. Soldier being as good as he is means Reaper has no real significant role he can fill in a team. He's become the most niche DPS pick imo.

Vitanimus

The way Sombra has crept up to be my second most played character. She's SO fun to play and is super rewarding when you manage to play with a group that has a bit of teamwork.

Jellie

But is it worth bubbling a Reaper or would it be better to have a Soldier who doesn't get into those situations and you can save the bubble for the hook/pin?

I don't even think the Roadhog nerfs are really going to make Reaper viable. I've seen the light. Soldier being as good as he is means Reaper has no real significant role he can fill in a team. He's become the most niche DPS pick imo.
Bubbling a reaper who is in their face forces then to make a quick decision. Soldier is at range so they can avoid him easier. You can't really avoid a reaper in your face.

randome

When you guys play competitive, do you always chat? I wonder if my teams suck because no one chats. Tbh, I dont really like chatting unless its someone I know. And even then not so much because I find it annoying to have a voice in my ear while playing, heh.

ohkay

When you guys play competitive, do you always chat? I wonder if my teams suck because no one chats. Tbh, I dont really like chatting unless its someone I know. And even then not so much because I find it annoying to have a voice in my ear while playing, heh.
I try to at least start the game with a hi and try to get people talking and I call out what I can during the game. That being said, the games where everyone is talking and joking around usually turn into wins

Defuser

God I'm so fucking piss.I can't even win a few matches in QP when everybody troll picks. The guy on my teammate uses McCree then he got owned by Pharah and then he proceeds to switch to Junkrat and continues to get owned by Pharah.

Why do every idiot and their mom uses/defaults to Junkrat? He is the new hanzo.

Best of luck to everyone trying to make the push to their next bracket today.

It reminds me of Hearthstone - most of the time it's a mess as you've got everyone scrambling to eke out a few wins.

I was going to try and make that run to Diamond but I'm still 450 SR away as I only had time for one comp game last night. Didn't play at all the last week or so :/

Oh well, season 4 will probably be my last Diamond attempt before I start practicing for EVO.

Well. today was an "Overwatch was a mistake. It's nothing but trash" day.

This game is goddamn oppressive sometimes. It makes you flat out hate it.
Yeah, I've been having a really bad week or so, just a combination of playing terribly and getting put on bizarre, toxic teams. Comp and QP both. This sometimes happen. And then it swings back and I feel like a god for a few days.

Blues1990

Best of luck to everyone trying to make the push to their next bracket today.

It reminds me of Hearthstone - most of the time it's a mess as you've got everyone scrambling to eke out a few wins.

I was going to try and make that run to Diamond but I'm still 450 SR away as I only had time for one comp game last night. Didn't play at all the last week or so :/

Oh well, season 4 will probably be my last Diamond attempt before I start practicing for EVO.

Are you down to play today? I'm going to be on soon.

I get pretty salty playing Sombra sometimes. My best guess is this: Sombra is a hero that really, really requires team coordination. So if you put in a lot of effort, for example, to coordinate your EMP with your team (telling them your ult is ready over and over, then asking them to group up) and then they don't capitalize? Frustrating as hell. Though I can't speak for gold players.
Yes.

In comp, when I pick Sombra, I always clarify that I'll switch (to Zarya, Zenyatta, Soldier, Ana, whatever ... I'm flexible) if I'm not doing my job. I'll go dump some damage, maybe get a squishy pick, grab some heals, remind people again which health packs are hacked (and it's really, really obvious when they don't use them; I can track it by pressing Tab!), and quickly get EMP. I'll then tap Z repeatedly to let people know I'm going to EMP next push. I'll even announce "EMP'ing now" right before I do it.

...and then turn and watch my team standing behind our Reinhardt looking confused about what to do next.

I feel like because Sombra is so poorly regarded, people just don't play her and then don't understand what she does or how powerful her ult is. So they don't recognize that they can just take the fight and win it if they go H.A.M. for the next six seconds. I had a friend in Masters ask me recently if hacked health packs respawn faster!

And I think it's exacerbated at lower levels because fights just go on so damn long. No one focuses fire, no one prioritizes healers, and seemingly no one can kill anybody. Six seconds just isn't long enough for lower-level teams to turn a fight.

Cappa

Banned

If you play on European servers generally no one chats... and to answer your question yes, I think communication is key in a game like Overwatch. Is it necessary? Probably not, Im sure there are plenty of people here who have climbed the ladder with little communication but to be honest if you want to be good at the game communicating is almost necessary.

Even if you dont want to talk.... at least have Voice chat on. Unless someone is being completely annoying (like music playing, yelling, insulting etc etc) you should always have team chat on, not group chat either like some people do.. everyone should be on team chat. "Hey reaper behind, etc".... goes a long way...

Grief.exe

RIP Reaper.

Reaper is perpetually RIP'd.

Am I bad person if I play 3v3 but secretly hope that my teammates die so that I can attempt to win 1v2 or 1v3? My most fun moments are when I'm outnumbered lol, and it adds to the intensity knowing that my teammates are watching me perform.

Are you down to play today? I'm going to be on soon.

I won't be home from work until 6 PM PST my guy. I might be down to play tonight though. I usually don't mind queuing up with 1-2 people but any more than that and it becomes a mess lol.

Enemy tracer stuck our tracer with bomb. She recalled and the bomb stuck to me because I was in the spot she recalled to. Lmao

I saved my team from a Graviton + Pulse Bomb last night by charging out of the Graviton into the Tracer right as she threw the bomb. It stuck to me and killed us both but no one else.

Jellie

I saved my team from a Graviton + Pulse Bomb last night by charging out of the Graviton into the Tracer right as she threw the bomb. It stuck to me and killed us both but no one else.

Was watching a video on Tracer, can't remember who by, but they said it's best to stick the bomb on the ground in a graviton instead of on somebody in order to maximise the damage and to prevent the situation you mentioned. Never really thought about sticking it on the ground but it makes sense.

Filben

people just don't play her and then don't understand what she does or how powerful her ult is.
A few days ago we had Sombra in chat like: "1. use my hacked health paks. 2. wait for my ult. 3. group up 4. kill everything after my ult 5. win"

Pretty simplified but at least people know what's going on and how to support Sombra.

I wonder if I should write something familiar too when I play her. A lot of guys I've met didn't know they build up Sombras ult by picking off hacked health paks.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Holy shit. I bound Lucio jump to right-click and it's like a whole new world has opened up to me. Suddenly the shit DSPStanky does really doesn't seem so impressive. It's all in the key bindings.

Anne

In case anybody is wondering more about my Reaper statement:

Rein controls space and makes it so you can't collapse on him once he has ult
Rein's weakness is he has to drop shield and he's slow
Lucio allows him to play forward and back without the slow part being an issue. He controls whatever space he wants that isn't challenged by another Rein
The shield can be dropped and he can still hold aggressive space because Ana can get him through it. She heals in chunks.

If a character can't deal with that at this point in development, they just don't exist in the higher level metagame. Reaper can't even imagine being in that space, so he's out. Junkrat can't challenge that space so he is out. Etc.

Luckily there are only a few characters put out by this, but it's the state of the game. No one hero can replace another just like that with how they work atm. If something isn't picked, it's because the popular strats are pushing them out. Even then on maps where space to work with is limited, Reaper is still okay. You only wanna run him on offense though because you might run into McCree/Rein/Lucio/Ana and that is actually an auto loss for the character.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What did you bind his boop to?

I moved crossfade to spacebar and moved boop to shift. There's an adjustment period once you rebind jump to right-click and I found myself accidentally booping too much on spacebar while trying to jump. Moving crossfade to space seemed less dangerous. Stanky binds his boop to one of the side buttons on the mouse but for some reason I can never seem to activate those binds with my mouse.

I will have to experiment in a real match to see if I need to move the other stuff around, but I have to keep jump on right-click. You can just do some serious wallclimbing shenanigans with that bind that you can't do on any other button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom