• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM Jan. 2010 • Splinter Cell Conviction's Multiplayer revealed

Captain N

|Co-Op|

•Archer & Kestrel are the new Co-Op characters.

• Takes place about 2 months before Conviction

• roughly 6 hours

• Cover compared to Gears "..slip from one hiding spot to the next, like a more svetle Marcus Fenix."

• Pressing A when you're caught in a coke hold will elbow your Captor in the gut, giving your partner a brief chance to take a headshot.

• If you're wounded, you can either play dead or use your pistol until your partner heals you or you bleed out.

• 4 co-op Campain Chapters

|Persistent Elite Creation|

• You earn points through out the SP & MP

• Change your look online and the look of Sam Fisher

• Upgrade Weapons / Gadgets / Appearance

|Deniable Ops|

• 6 Maps (4 from co-op & 2 only for DO)

• Hunter (Clear the map of Enemies, alone or with a partner)

• Infiltration (same concept, but detection by enemies automatically results in failure)

• Last Stand (Protect an EMP warhead from waves of attacking foes)

• Face Off (the sole adversarial mode, with two players going head-to-head with a costumizable number of A.I. Opponents populating the map)

More to come later

|Reviews|

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 | 9.5

Bayonetta | 9.0

The Saboteur | 8.0

LEGO Rock Band | 7.5

Band Hero | 7.5

Tekken 6 | 8.0

Dragon Ball: Raging Blast | 3.5

Jurassic: The Hunted | 5.0

Guitar Hero: Van Halen | 6.0

SpongeBob's Truth or Square | 4.0

Planet 51 | 4.5

Madagascar | 6.0

NCAA Basketball 10 | 7.0

Fairytale Fights | 3.5

MX vs ATV Reflex | 6.0

LEGO Indiana Jones: The Adventure Continues | 7.0

Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures: The Bogey Man | 6.5

Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? Game Time | 3.5

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Conviction is one of those games that doesn't have that hysterical-hype surrounding it, but it looks like it has the potential to be one of 2010's best games (and that's saying something).

TheFallen

Seda said:
Wait, so the co-op support is four chapters unique to the plot ONLY? Or four of the single player campaign chapters are also available in Co-op IN ADDITION to a unique co-op campaign?
There's a Co-Op story/campaign with 4 chapters (6 hrs) and then a separate co-op mission mode called Deniable Ops (DO)

Captain N

Seda said:
Wait, so the co-op support is four chapters unique to the single player plot ONLY? Or four of the single player campaign chapters are also available in Co-op IN ADDITION to a unique co-op campaign?

4 co-op chapters..no single player co-op

Captain N

Euphor!a said:
Hunter sounds like Spies v Mercs.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't realize you were going up against AI.

I imagine the game will have three game modes

single player

co-op

mercs vs spies

the character when showing off PEC looks a lot like a merc.

epmode

I'd seriously consider avoiding the game if there's no spies vs. mercs mode. Even five years later, Pandora Tomrrow's vs. mode still feels like it came from THE FUTURE. So, so brilliant.

Darklord

Banned
I really hope this actually WORKS this time. I spent fucking ages trying to get CT's multiplayer to work on PC. Opening ports and all this rubbish(which I never have to do for anything else), and even then I was only able to get into 1 or 2 games that worked.

WJD

Captain N said:
I made the thread on my iPhone. :/

myphone.gif

Sounds good anyway.

Struct09

theBishop said:
The only thing that got me pay for Xbox Live last gen. If Chaos Theory PC worked with a gamepad, I'd still play the fuck out of it.

I played Chaos Theory using an Xbox 360 controller + Xpadder. Worked great.

Dabanton

Rez said:
Conviction is one of those games that doesn't have that hysterical-hype surrounding it, but it looks like it has the potential to be one of 2010's best games (and that's saying something).

Agree. I like that the 'hype' for SC:C is considerably measured especially on Gaf,where we've seen what hype does for expectations.

sohois

Rez said:

It seems like the opposite of that really, i've seen riduculous hype around it and, being one of Ubi Montreals games, it could easily be a massive disapointment.

The multiplayer sounds reasonably original at least. Was Resistance 2 the first game to have the seperate Co-op campaign, because every game seems to be copying it these days as well.

Ridley327

Actually, Chaos Theory had a completely separate co-op campaign, so it's nothing new for the series at all.

A shame to see Adversarial being almost nearly eradicated from Conviction, but I always love co-op game modes and these sound pretty awesome.

JdFoX187

Banned
sohois said:
The multiplayer sounds reasonably original at least. Was Resistance 2 the first game to have the seperate Co-op campaign, because every game seems to be copying it these days as well.
Plenty of other games, including back on the Xbox had separate co-op campaigns.

The Stealth Fox

The MP sounds pretty run of the mill, but with the direction they're taking the series with the fast moving predator-esque gameplay, I think it'll be good.

JambiBum

sohois said:
It seems like the opposite of that really, i've seen riduculous hype around it and, being one of Ubi Montreals games, it could easily be a massive disapointment.

Chaos Theory had it's own co op campaign and that was a while ago.

Also, people must be missing the tidbit at the bottom of the OP. Where he says that there is more to come later. Which I'm figuring is Spies vs Mercs. For those of you who have played AC2, if you go into the uplay menu and scroll over to SC:C they clearly show a picture of a merc there is also the option to "unlock" a multiplayer mode using Uplay points. Don't know what that is as you can't access the info right yet.

Mrbob

Meh, where is my next version of Spies versus Mercs? UBI already hit on a killer online mode with this franchise.

Captain N

Mrbob said:
Meh, where is my next version of Spies versus Mercs? UBI already hit on a killer online mode with this franchise.

i'm certain it'll be there. Hopefully it won't be the first bit of DLC. That will easily consume me. It's never made sense to me why it never became more popular.

Ridley327

Spies vs. Mercs is notoriously difficult to get into just because of how hard it was to play Spy from the onset and how difficult it was to win as a Merc once you started playing against seasoned Spy players. DA nerfed a lot of what Spies could do, but the game died out real fast as a result.

spanks

As far as I can remember, both Chaos Theory and The Other One had a mode called Spies vs. Mercs, but they were severely nerfed versions of the Pandora Tomorrow original. The whole reason PT Spies vs. Mercs was so cool was because they played so differently; Spies where weaker but nimbler Sam Fishers - forced to hide in the shadows, while Mercs played more like Rainbow 6 - first person and relying on weapons/equipment. In the newer ones, they both play like Sam Fisher. Lame. I'm still hoping for PT-style Spies vs. Mercs...

Ridley327

Chaos Theory's Spies vs. Mercs mode didn't really change from Pandora Tomorrow, outside of co-op moves for Spies and giving Mercs better methods of taking on Spies in close-quarters. Also, your memory of Pandora Tomorrow is a bit fuzzy because a good Spy could absolutely dominate the game faster than a Merc could react to a motion sensor alert; the balance was always an issue at higher-level play and they never came up with a good solution to fix it in either PT or CT. DA's nerfing of, well, everything did more harm than good.

As soon as I saw the coop mode with a separate story (something more games need to do) I finally thought I'd found my true sequel to CT...but the lack of spies vs mercs makes this a rental for me.

Captain N

Nirolak said:
If you could do Bayonetta that would be great.

Bayonetta | 9.0
+ Outragous mix of violence, Sexuality, and humor.
+ Beautiful and flexible core combat; fantastic boss battles.
- Upgrades too expensive; some fussy combo timing.
? Does Joe Pesci get a check every time Enzo Speaks?
— Cameron Lewis

I missed a whole page of reviews...

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment | 7.5
+ Elastic and addictive character costumization. Stats ahoy!
+ Hidden goodies and unlockable maps soften the repetition of grinding
- Forgettable Story; sluggish pace.
? Why can't you revisit old haunts after you win the game?
— Cameron Lewis

JambiBum

_tetsuo_ said:
Where the fuck is the Spies vs Mercs mode?

They still have more details to announce. Plus whatever the Uplay thing is that you can unlock. They know everyone wants it back. I highly doubt that they didn't include it.

Top Bottom