• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM scores + Virtua Fighter 5 Xenon launch exclusive (rumour)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Why not...its a good game and perhaps his PC is sub-GF 4200 quality so the XBOX version might actually look better..

A lot of people are actually looking forward to stuff like Doom3 and GTA:San Andreas on XBOX even though it was released ages ago on other platforms....

I am VERY excited to hear news of Burnout 4 (boy, that was quick!!!) and cant wait to play it on my Xbox 360 :D

Suikoguy said:
Only sega would be dumb enough to switch a franchise to 3 platforms in 3 generations.. it will happen :lol

Edit:

Hey Sega, remember where supporting the xbox with all the effort you could muster years ago got you?
Oh thats right.. NOWHERE :D

When did Sega switch the Virtua Fighter Franchise to Two systems this generation? Virtua Fighters have been on PS2 the Generation. Heck they even made that Virtua Quest crap on PS2. If You are counting Virtua Fighters 3 on Dreamcast, it doesn't count, because Sega HAD to move the Virtua Fighters series to another Platform. If the Dreamcast hadn't died Virtua Fighters 4 would have gone on the Dreamcast. I also think this rumor is pure B.S. Sega will Premiere the Virtua Fighters game in the arcades becuase the games does well in the Japanese arcades.

saelz8

sp0rsk said:
i can almost guarantee there will be no exclusive vf5 for xenon at launch

VF is an ARCADE GAME. it wont be at home for atleast another year or so

cause sega makes waaaaaaaaay more money in the arcade than they ever would plopping their biggest money maker (sans that 3 kingdoms card game) on an untested system whos last incarnation sold about 25 systems in japan.

this rumor is false, im slamming the book down right now! it might come out on xenon some day, but it DEFINITELY WITHOUT A DOUBT WILL NOT come out at launch.

That's what im thinking as well

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
VF5 = :)
Burnout 4 = :D
Half Life 2 = :( . I got it for x-mas for pc in hopes that I could buy a graphics card sooner or later...

Sean

Banned
I am kinda disappointed that HL2 is on Xbox after all. I figured that after all this time without news of it that it would be an Xbox 2 launch title. I didn't get to play HL2 much since I have a Mac, and I was hoping for a PC perfect port to Xenon :(

Hopefully the VF5 rumor is true and I hope it's XBL enabled too. Burnout 3 rocked so I can't wait to see what Criterion does with BO4.

I got mixed feelings. I am really exited that my favourite fighting game will be continued, but I am worried that the Xbox 2 controller will be so damn big again (like turkish toy) that I wont be able to enjoy playing it :p

jedimike

Nervous Hamster said:
I got mixed feelings. I am really exited that my favourite fighting game will be continued, but I am worried that the Xbox 2 controller will be so damn big again (like turkish toy) that I wont be able to enjoy playing it :p

no worries...

The standard Xenon controller will have a look and feel similar to the Xbox "S" controller. The primary changes are the removal of the Black and White buttons and the addition of shoulder buttons. The triggers, thumbsticks, D-pad, and primary buttons are essentially unchanged. The controller will support vibration.

jarrod

Banned
Suikoguy said:
Only sega would be dumb enough to switch a franchise to 3 platforms in 3 generations.. it will happen :lol
It'd be 5 platforms in 3 generations actually, 6 if you include Quest. :)

While I could definitely see VF5 "debut" on Xenon, it definitely won't be in time for launch. VF5 should have a nice 6 month to year in arcades running on Sega's new PVR5 based board before the Xenon port is even announced. Besides with DOA4 and SC3 ready for launch Microsoft doesn't need VF5 right away... it'd be better saved to go up against the eventual PS3 launch honestly. Imagine, Halo 3 and VF5 versus PS3 and Revolution. :)

Gaspode

Am I the only one who thinks this VF5 rumor is BS? People, April Fools comes in a week and we're talking about the April issue of OXM. It's pretty clear IMO.

DarkCloud

Knowing OXM it's likely VF4:FT...

VF5 hasn't even been announced for arcades yet so there's no way they'll have it ready by november-march unless they did a CT3, HotD3, etc and debut on console first. Which they'd never do with VF.

However VF4:FT I can see getting a Xenon launch release...especially after EVO's lackluster reception in the US as a PS2 greatest Hits release.

rastex

Banned
If people think that MS exclusive announcements are going to subside instead of increase, in terms of importance, then ya'll are craaaaazy. I think this falls very much in line with the recent trend of announcements we've been hearing out of MS Japan.

jarrod

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
Is this supposed to mean something to anyone?
A fairly accurate evalution given the full context of sp0rsk's post? Is your narrow quote and response suppossed to mean something to anyone?

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Oh, by the way, the month AFTER that BO4/HL2 issue, there will be the first world exclusive details on Burnout 5 in the magazine!!! :lol

nitewulf

all fighting games should be multiplatform, freaking tekken should have been multiplatofrm so we didnt have to deal with this shit to begin with.
anyway there has been no information released regarding VF5, so i doubt it would be a launch title for xenon, however i wouldn't doubt it being released on the xenon platform. launch/near launch games sell well, and if it can fill a genre void then so much the better. i'd expect DOA4 at launch though, im sure that has been under development for a while.

jarrod

Banned
nitewulf said:
all fighting games should be multiplatform, freaking tekken should have been multiplatofrm so we didnt have to deal with this shit to begin with.
Agreed. SC2 is by a wide margin the best selling traditional fighter this gen and it got an amazing reception from all fanbases. It's also the only fighter brand to actually increase in sales this generation, that's huge.

VF4, DOA3 and Tekken 4-5 all would've seen double the sales had they gone multiplatform (even after the fact, there's nothing wrong with exclusive windows). Namco, Sega and Tecmo need to wise up.

I'm with Sporks on this one, no way VF5 makes it for the Xenon launch. It is possible sometime afterwards though. Far as VF's Sony exclusivity, I can see them thinking that it helps the VF franchise more than it hurts. I'd like to see an Xenon version because I think multiplatform is the way to go. Though, do not count on VF5 being used against the PS3, that's the system VF is virtually guarenteed to be on.

i for one, am happy that AM2 is holding VF5 for the next gen. VF games have always had a generation growth through it's sequals.

The PS2 was okay, but VF4 PS2 had flat lighting, reduced snow & Sand, and jaggies! when compared to the crisp Arcade conterpart

where ever VF5 goes, it doesn't matter cause I intend to get both a PS3 and Xbox2 (whatever it's called) regardless

Nintendo Revolution though,,, I don't care about touch screen controllers (rumoured)

B'z-chan

Banned
FUCKING EVO (little heavy metal smiley)

HL2 should have been a 360 title in my eyes. If valve added some things to show off the more technical powers of the 360 (instead of leaving it as is) would probably sway the console peoples who dont own gaming pc's the (short) experiance of HL2.

Burnout 4 better not be based on PS2, especially if its gonna be on 360 i expect high res textures and lighting to be added to the 360 version and no less.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Blimblim said:
No one cares about what you think.
Most EA titles for the end of the year use Xbox360 as their reference platform, if what actual developers told is to be believed. And considering Criterion certainly provides the rendering engine for most of these games, I don't see them not use X360 as reference too.
So unless you have actual info about this, shut up.

Now there a PWNED if ever i saw it :lol

So this pretty much confirms the xenon is the weakest console right ?

Anyanka

jarrod said:
SC2 is by a wide margin the best selling traditional fighter this gen and it got an amazing reception from all fanbases.

Last I looked TTT, T4 and MKDA PS2 had outsold each individual SC II and combined MKDA would be in the lead. Wait, that might have been US only. Do you have the actual numbers?

Shinobi

Barnimal said:
blah blah blah. besides VF on ps2 BARELY and the sonic games on GC, sega has done shitty ALL AROUND. you act as if sony is the magic box that equals sales up the ying yang but lets seeeeeee...shinobi, night shade, headhunter, rez, hell anything that WASNT a sports game or VF flopped on the ps2. It'd be stupid for sega to wait until vf5 is a year old to release it at home waiting for ps3. they probably dotnt even have dev kits yet. If sega is working on new arcade hardware, have gotten a free ride with chihiro and sees that the x2 kits they have sitting around are good enough and close enough to their new arcade hardware then why the hell would they sit around twiddling their thumbs? THAT would be stupid.

It's refreshing to read a post in this thread that isn't filled with stupid fucking nonsense.

Let's get a few FACTS cleared up before I go on here.

The arcade version of VF4 was released in August of 2001.

The PS2 version of VF4 was released in January of 2002.

That's a five month turnaround, which back then was regarded as quick. And we've similiar (or even quicker) turnarounds with Namco's Tekken 5 and Soul Calibur 2.

Now with these FACTS cleared up, here's a scenario. Sega debuts VF5 as a Naomi 3 game in the summer, possibly even giving a sneak peak at E3. The game is then released in the fall. At the same time, Sega undoubtedly was among the first to receive XBox 2 kits. And MS wants as much Japanese content for their platform as possible.

Now if VF5 is out as an arcade game by year's end, why should Sega wait six months or more to release a home version of a game that would be a high impact title on the first next generation console, when we all know that MS would line Sega's pocket with green for such a game (and pay more for it to be a launch game), and pay a lot more then Sony would be willing to cough up. Put another way, MS needs VF5 FAR more then Sony does. And Sega's gotta look at themselves as well...having VF5 out for XBox 2 at launch looking nice and crisp would be pretty big for them, a way to say they're back in the game on the ground floor instead of missing the entire first year like they did with PS2.

Keep in mind what the "launch" period is for XBox 2...it's a three to four month time period according to MS. If the system drops in November, that means Feburary could be counted as the "launch" period. That's more then enough time for VF5 to be spat out on XBox 2, provided the arcade version is on course for the fall.

PS3? Who gives a shit? You don't think Sega isn't gonna flip PS3 an upgraded version of VF5 sometime next year? PS2 got two VF's for fucks sake. Sammy's already on record in stating that far more of their future games will be available on multiple formats. Why would this be any different? Is Sony gonna outbid MS for VF? The franchise isn't THAT important to them, particularly when they've got Tekken locked up for the rest of their life.

The only stupid thing in this thread is Half Life 2 being made for XBox instead of XBox 2. Unless they performed some sort of voodoo programming, I have a hard time seeing XBox doing HL2 proper justice.

But VF5 as an XBox 2 launch title? There's nothing stupid about it, except to people who have the brains of a fish. Nothing said the game would debut as a console game either, so I don't know where people got that from. Christ, the stupidity level just keeps growing higher on this board.

Now with all that said (and this is where I cover my black ass), this rumour might be completely bogus. But it wouldn't be because it isn't plausible, feasible, or doesn't make sense.

jarrod

Banned
Anyanka said:
Last I looked TTT, T4 and MKDA PS2 had outsold each individual SC II and combined MKDA would be in the lead. Wait, that might have been US only. Do you have the actual numbers?
Last count Namco had sold exactly 4.7M copies of SC2 worldwide. The only "fighter" that's beating that number is SSBM.

xexex

Banned
Shinobi said:
It's refreshing to read a post in this thread that isn't filled with stupid fucking nonsense.

Let's get a few FACTS cleared up before I go on here.

The arcade version of VF4 was released in August of 2001.

The PS2 version of VF4 was released in January of 2002.

That's a five month turnaround, which back then was regarded as quick. And we've similiar (or even quicker) turnarounds with Namco's Tekken 5 and Soul Calibur 2.

Now with these FACTS cleared up, here's a scenario. Sega debuts VF5 as a Naomi 3 game in the summer, possibly even giving a sneak peak at E3. The game is then released in the fall. At the same time, Sega undoubtedly was among the first to receive XBox 2 kits. And MS wants as much Japanese content for their platform as possible.

Now if VF5 is out as an arcade game by year's end, why should Sega wait six months or more to release a home version of a game that would be a high impact title on the first next generation console, when we all know that MS would line Sega's pocket with green for such a game (and pay more for it to be a launch game), and pay a lot more then Sony would be willing to cough up. Put another way, MS needs VF5 FAR more then Sony does. And Sega's gotta look at themselves as well...having VF5 out for XBox 2 at launch looking nice and crisp would be pretty big for them, a way to say they're back in the game on the ground floor instead of missing the entire first year like they did with PS2.

Keep in mind what the "launch" period is for XBox 2...it's a three to four month time period according to MS. If the system drops in November, that means Feburary could be counted as the "launch" period. That's more then enough time for VF5 to be spat out on XBox 2, provided the arcade version is on course for the fall.

PS3? Who gives a shit? You don't think Sega isn't gonna flip PS3 an upgraded version of VF5 sometime next year? PS2 got two VF's for fucks sake. Sammy's already on record in stating that far more of their future games will be available on multiple formats. Why would this be any different? Is Sony gonna outbid MS for VF? The franchise isn't THAT important to them, particularly when they've got Tekken locked up for the rest of their life.

The only stupid thing in this thread is Half Life 2 being made for XBox instead of XBox 2. Unless they performed some sort of voodoo programming, I have a hard time seeing XBox doing HL2 proper justice.

But VF5 as an XBox 2 launch title? There's nothing stupid about it, except to people who have the brains of a fish. Nothing said the game would debut as a console game either, so I don't know where people got that from. Christ, the stupidity level just keeps growing higher on this board.

Now with all that said (and this is where I cover my black ass), this rumour might be completely bogus. But it wouldn't be because it isn't plausible, feasible, or doesn't make sense.

great post Shinobi. I think that by no later than Spring 2006 we will be playing
Virtua Fighter 5 on our Xenons :D

Top Bottom