• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pabst Blue Ribbon Is Classy and Expensive in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeke

Banned
2upehpy.jpg

In America it's called PBR and is the blue-collar/hipster beverage of choice. In China it's called Pabst Blue Ribbon 1844 and will run you $44 a bottle. Pretty steep for a beer whose biggest draw in the U.S. is the fact that it's, uh, really cheap.

In China, where the lager has been branded as a “world-famous spirit” and bottled in a much more alluring way, Pabst Blue Ribbon 1844 actually looks quite enticing. The advertising campaign for the beer even likens it to “Scotch whisky, French brandy, Bordeaux wine,” as they are all matured in wooden casks.

Another marked difference notable from the ad? There is a champagne flute-like glass accompanying the ostentatious bottle, which presumably is what you are to consume your beer from. Classy! In the U.S., PBR is typically consumed straight from the can. Which may or may not be still cloaked in the paper bag from the store.

But no matter how nicely it's dressed up, it's still the same old stuff. And as a rule, $44 a bottle is about $42 more than any sane person should be paying for PBR.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/07/21/pabst-blue-ribbon-is-classy-and-expensive-in-china/

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
To be fair, Pabst Blue Ribbon did something really weird here in the states as well. People were drinking it so ironically, its now not cheap. Its a bit ridiculous that that happened.

Unless the ad is misleading, Pabst is not that color. So maybe it's a different recipe? I can't believe regular PBR would sell for that. it's the same macro adjunct lager crap that is made all around the world and I'm sure is much, much cheaper in China. There's gotta be more to it.

tokkun

ConfusingJazz said:
To be fair, Pabst Blue Ribbon did something really weird here in the states as well. People were drinking it so ironically, its now not cheap. Its a bit ridiculous that that happened.

Is that why it's considered a hipster beer? As someone who grew up in Wisconsin, I can never accept it as being hipster. Although, I also can't accept the concept of someone choosing their beer based on irony.

Xeke

Banned
worldrunover said:
Unless the ad is misleading, Pabst is not that color. So maybe it's a different recipe? I can't believe regular PBR would sell for that. it's the same macro adjunct lager crap that is made all around the world and I'm sure is much, much cheaper in China. There's gotta be more to it.

Modified lighting?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
worldrunover said:
I thought this too, looks way different.

Hari Seldon

tokkun said:
Is that why it's considered a hipster beer? As someone who grew up in Wisconsin, I can never accept it as being hipster. Although, I also can't accept the concept of someone choosing their beer based on irony.

Yeah I didn't understand how it could possibly be considered a hipster beer. It is a beer for poor ass plebs. Or it least it was before this alleged price increase :lol .

Xeke said:
Modified lighting?

I have to believe it's different somehow. I'm sure they sell Budweiser in China; I think people would notice that it tastes pretty much the same, and the price difference is ridiculous.

If Chimay tasted like Coors Light they would not be able to sell it in the US for $15 a bottle.

tokkun said:

I also am a Wisconsonite and never heard of it being a hipster beer until I saw a topic on this board. Its the tastiest of cheap beers.

exarkun

PBR is no longer the "hip" beer to drink. Its Miller High Life. Get with the program...

Also, I drink PBR wherever I go for at least two drinks. First off its a two dollar beer even at bars where they sell bud light for 6 dollars. So I would like to thank the collective hipster nation for forcing the douchiest of bars/clubs to sell a beer that I can afford when my richer friends go out.

Finally, PBR tastes like America. It has a slight cigarette taste to it that I really appreciate and it helps distinguish itself from the piss called bud light.

KtSlime

gamerecks said:
I also am a Wisconsonite and never heard of it being a hipster beer until I saw a topic on this board. Its the tastiest of cheap beers.

Apparently you have never been to Portland or Seattle...:lol

tokkun

worldrunover said:
If Chimay tasted like Coors Light they would not be able to sell it in the US for $15 a bottle.

Somehow they still sell Chimay Red for $20 for a 4-pack when it tastes just like New Belgium's Abbey, which sells for $8 for a 6-pack and has wide national distribution.

tokkun said:
Somehow they still sell Chimay Red for $20 for a 4-pack when it tastes just like New Belgium's Abbey, which sells for $8 for a 6-pack and has wide national distribution.

But at least we're arguing about high-end Belgian abbey ales here; China is getting swindeled by PBR for chrissakes.

Pabst isn't dogfish head but it ain't too bad. I'll have a few with a pizza every now and again, but the thought that some poor sucker is paying 42 more dollars for a bottle than I am blows my mind.

SteveMeister said:
They probably laugh at us for drinking Tsingtao, too, just like Australians laugh at us for drinking Foster's.
:D

Because of those commercials, my go to insult for Australians is that they drink Foster's. It's more original then calling them criminals, and they are really defensive about it.

ToxicAdam

tokkun said:

It was also a matter of economics. When PBR first started making it's comeback, it was a 2 dollar bill sitting next to other beers that were 3 dollars on up.

I remember being in a trendy club in Cleveland back in 2003 and to buy a Bud Light was 4.25, to buy a PBR was 2.25. It's no surprise that many poor college kids glommed onto it. This was also during that stupid truck driver lid craze, so it kind of tied into that style too.

Ok, so it is a different beer:

"We just produced China’s first real specialty beer, an all-malt, reddish brown strong (15.7 plato) ale, dry hopped with Cascade (38 IBU) and aged in new uncharred American whiskey barrels … It’s being bottled in a nice looking 720-ml brown bottle with an enamel label and it is called Blue Ribbon 1844, a reference to Pabst‘s founding date. It will only be sold in China…”

Full interview here.

That actually sounds pretty good. But still not $44 good.

notworksafe

tokkun said:
Don't hipsters make choices on everything based on irony?

Out of all the beers I've ever had, I'd easily rank PBR in the bottom 5 or so. Horrible beer. And I'm no beer snob by any means, I'll happily drink a budweiser or high life when handed one, but PBR just has this odd flavor that I can't enjoy. Also, neckbeards and scarves.

Talon- said:
I could go for a Chimay Red right now...

PBR is not worse than High Life. High Life is the worst shit.

I find High Life's corntastic flavor to be enjoyable every once and a while. If I'm not in the mood for it though, it's a rough ride.

Everyone should be doing this trickery about everything in China from beer to chess boards. Just like we got the "Egyptian Cotton" china should have "American Leather" and "British plastic" Why not?

FLEABttn said:
I see someone hasn't had Yuengling.

Indeed. That beer is basically religion here in central/eastern PA. Great for the price for sure. Just wish they would ditch the green bottles, I hate getting skunked lagers at bars.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
VASPER said:
Any miller lovers in here?

Miller Light is my go-to budget beer. It's not great but it's not bad, just standard beer flavored beer and that's all I need.

This is funny, though, PBR is a classy beer in China? And that bottle, lols.
If I were a China man I would be drinking Tsingtao and Tiger, now that is some good shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom