• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 47, 2015

I had to laugh at the news reports that "footfall" was less than expected on UK Black Friday. It's not even a public holiday, people are all at work! Media getting pretty carried away with the whole thing.

I had to laugh at the news reports that "footfall" was less than expected on UK Black Friday. It's not even a public holiday, people are all at work! Media getting pretty carried away with the whole thing.

Chatting with people at work and family, I'm not surprised it. Like you say, its a workday, but last year was just awful, a lot of hullabaloo and effort for little reward, and I think that turned most people off the idea of going out of the way for it this year.

Which is good, a sale day before Christmas is great, but the entire thing is handled in such a vulgar manner.

Hasney

Just remembered that I didn't contribute a penny to Black Friday in the UK. All I bought were digital PS4 games from the US.

Chris1

Chatting with people at work and family, I'm not surprised it. Like you say, its a workday, but last year was just awful, a lot of hullabaloo and effort for little reward, and I think that turned most people off the idea of going out of the way for it this year.

Which is good, a sale day before Christmas is great, but the entire thing is handled in such a vulgar manner.

The worst of it is, it's not even good deals like America 99% of the time. Most of the stuff on sale were already on sale before anyways, now you're just getting another £10 off something because they couldn't move stock.

It's good if you're wanting to buy something already and hold off waiting for a few £ off, but I wouldn't go out my way to buy something just because it's Black Friday. That said though, there were some sweet deals on Xbox Ones this year (That £220 bundle with Ori and RR specifically)

Footos22

The worst of it is, it's not even good deals like America 99% of the time. Most of the stuff on sale were already on sale before anyways, now you're just getting another £10 off something because they couldn't move stock.

It's good if you're wanting to buy something already and hold off waiting for a few £ off, but I wouldn't go out my way to buy something just because it's Black Friday. That said though, there were some sweet deals on Xbox Ones this year (That £220 bundle with Ori and RR specifically)

That ori and rare replay deal wasn't even as good as the uncharted and fifa ps4 bundle for 30 quid more. Especially as those two xbox games are worth nothing.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So has EA commented on Battlefront numbers? Usually when something sells a mil these days its shoved down our throats, yet its been awfully quiet on the Battlefront.

Hasney

You singlehandedly destroyed the PAL charts by doing that. Extrapolating from that, 100% of people are told to buy from US PSN now.

To be honest, it's probably why the charts are delayed. Trying to come up with a way to do PR on 0 UK sales.

Chobel

I made an avatar bet that XBO will reach 2 million by the time of Black Friday. With no PR in sight, this doesn't seem to be the case :/

Hasney

I made an avatar bet that XBO will reach 2 million by the time of Black Friday. With no PR in sight, this doesn't seem to be the case :/

I honestly think we just don't know. MS could quite easily ask them not to release that information if they're no longer talking about it.

stryke

I honestly think we just don't know. MS could quite easily ask them not to release that information if they're no longer talking about it.

Doesn't Chart-track gather their retail data indepedently from platform holders? How would MS have any say in what data Chart-track is or isn't allowed to release to their subscribers?

Hasney

Doesn't Chart-track gather their retail data indepedently from platform holders? How would MS have any say in what data Chart-track is or isn't allowed to release to their subscribers?

From their subscribers, sure. I meant publicly announcing.

From what we know from the people that do publish software numbers as well, the console numbers aren't in those packs. Or well hidden at the very least :p

panda-zebra

Well the guy I made the bet with is banned, so I guess I won by default.

Chobel just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about avatar bets (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in other forums where you can get off lightly just because someone received a temp ban...

Bruno MB

This year's Black Friday week will definitely be down YoY, especially because last year had Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire which sold over 150,000 units, and the week before Black Friday there were bigger releases (Grand Theft Auto V + Far Cry 4 doubled Star Wars: Battlefront sales).

Code:
Week 47, 2015 - 1,111,438 units / £42.4m [notable releases: Star Wars: Battlefront]
[B]Week 48, 2015 - _________ units / £____m [notable releases: nothing][/B]

Week 47, 2014 - 1,486,145 units / £57.4m [notable releases: Grand Theft Auto V, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition]
[B]Week 48, 2014 - 1,960,751 units / £62.0m [notable releases: Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire, Super Smash Bros. Wii U][/B]

viHuGi

Banned
This year's Black Friday week will definitely be down YoY, especially because last year had Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire which sold over 150,000 units, and the week before Black Friday there were bigger releases (Grand Theft Auto V + Far Cry 4 doubled Star Wars: Battlefront sales).

Code:
Week 47, 2015 - 1,111,438 units / £42.4m [notable releases: Star Wars: Battlefront]
[B]Week 48, 2015 - _________ units / £____m [notable releases: nothing][/B]

Week 47, 2014 - 1,486,145 units / £57.4m [notable releases: Grand Theft Auto V, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition]
[B]Week 48, 2014 - 1,960,751 units / £62.0m [notable releases: Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire, Super Smash Bros. Wii U][/B]

It will still be huge so it's good and we like numberz.

Oh, well that sucks. Guess its better for them but worse for the savy consumer.

Yeah, and it's across the board as far as sales go. They don't talk about anything. That way no one can speculate on how games have sold based on which ones they choose to talk about. For example, if they came out and bragged about Battlefront's sales and then refused to say anything about Mirror's Edge, it'd make people think that the sales of ME were bad. So they just don't comment on sales at all.

Rymuth

Nothing yet, eh?

Harry-Potter1.gif

Top Bottom