• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pandora's Tower |OT| - Black is Beautiful

Shiggy

headertlj83.jpg

PLATFORM: Wii
DEVELOPERS: GANBARION (in cooperation with Nintendo SPD)
PUBLISHER: Nintendo

RELEASE DATES:
May 26, 2011 (Japan), April 12, 2012 (Australia), April 13, 2012 (Europe)
GENRE: Action RPG
CONTROLLERS: Wii Remote and Nunchuk. Also compatible with Classic Controller (PRO)

In Pandora’s Tower you take on the role of Aeron, a soldier, as he battles to save his beloved friend Elena from a mysterious curse that is gradually transforming her into a demonic creature. Only by battling through the towers of a nearby fortress can Aeron save her from her gruesome fate. Using his sword and the magical Oraclos Chain, Aeron must defeat the creatures that lurk there and harvest their meat to feed to Elena. Only by eating all of the “master flesh”, harvested from the largest monsters within each tower, will Elena be fully cured of the curse and free from its monstrous grip.

By returning to Elena to feed her meat from the smaller monsters, you can slow down the transformation - but only temporarily. You will need to carefully judge when it is best to return to her, as not coming back in time could lead to Elena’s permanent transformation into a demonic beast.

Multiple possible endings and a New Game+ mode means that Pandora’s Tower has great replay value and by mastering the unique relationship system you can change Aeron and Elena’s fate. You must not only decide when to return to Elena to stem the tide of her curse, but also what items to give to her. After spending time speaking to her you will become more familiar with her plight and leaving her to continue your quest may become more difficult. Taking the time to build a bond with Elena could even change the ultimate ending of the story.

While exploring the labyrinthine towers you’ll come across a wide variety of items. Mavda, a mysterious travelling merchant who can upgrade your weapons, can create special new items by combining two or more items that you have found on your journey. The items that you have discovered while exploring the towers can be given to Elena as gifts to strengthen your bond or be used to help you on your quest to battle the 13 masters – the choice is yours.

limitededitionk1kfp.png

Limited Edition includes artbook, steelbook case, as well as the normal case with the alternative cover. The normal case is black like Japanese Z-rated Wii titles.

storyheadcdjjw.png

Aeron and Elena
The victim of a cruel curse, Elena is undergoing a horrific transformation into a grotesque beast. Determined to find a way to cure her, Aeron takes up the Oraclos Chain and plunges into the Thirteen Towers, where truly terrifying monsters await him. The words of their companion Mavda offer them their only hope: within the Thirteen Towers reside the masters, and by consuming their flesh, Elena may escape the curse. This is the tale of the bond between Aeron and Elena, and the vow they make to each other to defeat the curse and be together once again.

The Beast's Curse

Throughout the land, rumours are rife of a terrible curse that transforms its victims into beasts.
Those afflicted by the curse are said to bear a curious mark, as if their skin has somehow been branded. The curse's progress is said to be remorseless, and once it has progressed beyond a certain point, the victim will never recover their human form.
Yet nothing is known about the true nature of the curse, and there are many who doubt its very existence.
But now, in the year 511 of the Unified Era, a terrible incident has occurred. At the Harvest Festival in the city of Helycon, the temple maiden Elena has launched a ferocious attack on the festival goers.
Witnesses say that before she ran amok, this maiden had taken the blood-chilling form of a monstrous beast...

The Thirteen Towers

Countless leagues from the bustling capital of the kingdom there lies the desolate valley known as The Scar. A gaping maw of unfathomable depth, at its centre hangs a vast construction held in place by huge chains. These are the Thirteen Towers.
Each of the Thirteen Towers has its own distinct design, inhabited by beasts known as servants who do all they can to protect the master enshrined at the heart of each Tower.
Aeron grips the Oraclos Chain which Mavda has entrusted to him. He feels the curious power that pulses through it as he heads into the Towers, searching for the flesh of the masters and the only hope that Elena has of recovery.

charactersheadv7jdp.png

aeronheadl6jst.png

elenahead1rk7l.png

mavdahead7ljqn.png

Voice samples are available here.

screenshotshead1lko9.png

2_wii_pandorastower_srxk2q.png
11_wii_pandorastower_bujqr.png

trailerheadyujxt.png

Pandora's Tower Limited Edition Trailer
Pre-Launch Trailer
Launch Trailer
First hour (Japanese version)

reviewsheadn4ko0.png

Many will look at Pandora’s Tower as being the weakest of the three Wii RPGs, with Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story easily making Ganbarion and Nintendo’s effort seem unworthy of attention. However, such a judgement would be unjust, since this Action RPG takes a totally different slant, offering an almost 3D Castlevania and Metroid feel to proceedings, mixing in a pleasant love story and a brilliantly smooth battle system that will widen its appeal. Pandora’s Tower certainly can stand proud amongst its fellow genre stablemates

Cubed3.com 8/10

It's the sort of imaginative use of the Wii remote that Nintendo should have been encouraging for years, as you target enemies with the pointer and then rip shreds of flesh off them with a flick of the controller. The chain is used to even more imaginative effect in the various boss battles, while also doubling up as a grappling hook to swing across gaps.

It's a genuinely great invention and if Pandora's Tower had concentrated on being a straight Devil May Cry style action game it would've been a far stronger title overall. Unfortunately the combat isn't that nuanced though, with clunky, skill-less combos and a main character that is nowhere near the athletic equal of Dante or Kratos.

The rest of the game is even more mundane, with bland environments, a very restrictive camera, and insultingly simple puzzles. The difficultly curve lurches skywards around the halfway point, which alone will probably be cue enough for most people to give up.

Metro.co.uk 6/10

You could waste days rattling off its technical shortcomings, but this an easy game to forgive. Strict time limits and a great weapon makes this more than just Zelda For Dummies.
CVG 8.1/10

It's somewhat poetic that after five years of hit-and-miss waggling, we're only just starting to see core games that implement motion controls in seamless ways rather than being smothered by them, and this is exactly what Pandora's Tower achieves. It's a slightly old-school adventure with a vibe reminiscent of Castlevania (especially the PlayStation 2 sequels). But while those games under-delivered on a compelling world with a consistent structure, Pandora's Tower will draw you in and make you care. Maybe not enough to save it from a tiger or a burning building, but you'd probably remember its existence when it came to claiming on the house insurance.

Eurogamer 8/10

German Gamepro 72/100
IGN UK 7.0/10
EDGE 6/10
The Independent 3/5
Famitsu 7/7/9/8
ONM UK

linksthuj6.png

Official website
Iwata Asks

Son1x

Oh wow, it already released. This really flew under my radar. I'm still thinking if I should get it. I'd like to get it, but I tend to leave games unfinished these days. My Last Story copy is still sealed >.<

I guess I'll wait for some more impressions.

What did you want to say with the girl getting a new age? Was it really changed or didn't you remember it?

I remember a gaffer saying she was 15 or something when the game came out in Japan, but when I actually started looking that up 10 mins ago, I couldn't find that confirmed anywhere.

Shiggy

She's 15 in the Japanese version - or at least that's what Anoop said.

Thanks!

Oh wow, it already released. This really flew under my radar. I'm still thinking if I should get it. I'd like to get it, but I tend to leave games unfinished these days. My Last Story copy is still sealed >.<

I guess I'll wait for some more impressions.

Going by Last Story, the game's price is probably decreasing after release. It's now already 5-10€ below RRP.

wrowa

Lol @ gamepro DE criticizing the lack of roleplaying elements. Guess what, it's not an RPG, duh.

Won't buy the game in the foreseeable future. Game looks interesting, but not enough to be picked up for full-price.

Seik

Banned
Gimme my NA release date so that I don't have to buy a PAL version again, please. :(

Dat limited edition...so tempting...

wrowa

Gimme my NA release date so that I don't have to buy a PAL version again, please. :(

I don't think there will be an NA release, tbh. This game is just so low-key that I doubt that anyone would want to bother with it...

Son1x

Going by Last Story, the game's price is probably decreasing after release. It's now already 5-10€ below RRP.

Thats all good, but hopefully it doesn't go out of stock. Then I'll have to hunt for it on eBay and I'm gonna have to pay 50€+ for it >.<

Got the UK special edition on pre order at Zavvi, but god damn I'm kinda tempted to pick up the regular edition in stores down here instead of waiting the 2 or whatever it is weeks for the UK one to arrive.

That said I still have no idea what this game is about and am buying it just because

Luigiv

LoL they made the girl older for the localisation. She's suppose to be 15 in the original Japanese release. Guess it's less creepy this way.

ivysaur12

Banned
I always felt this was going to be a mediocre game that was somehow grouped in with Xenoblade and TLS and is riding on their coattails.

King Boo

any signs that it will come out to the u.s.?

if not, if i buy the european version, will it work? also where would i buy the euro one?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Played the Japanese version and didn't really like it. Don't remember what wasn't ok with it though.

Zornica

Banned
It has been a long looong time since I last payed more than 50€ for a single game I didn't knew anything about it. the price is probably going to drop like a rock in 2 or 3 weeks...

And despite all that, I still pre ordered it.. I am not even sure why, but somehow I don't feel like canceling.
(I guess it's because of the beautifull box and steelbook)

ShopTo posted my copy yesterday. Fingers crossed it arrives today. Seems the least profile of the 'Operation Rainfall' games, but I'm still looking forward to it nonetheless.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
More excited about this than The Last Story tbh.

I bought LS and haven't even played it yet. Still have to finished Xenoblade. I just have had the time to settle in front of the tv for a couple of hours. I'm in no rush to add another game to my pile of backlogged Wii games (and people say the system has nothing).

Already got the special edition ordered, I've bought all of the Wii's farewell trio but this is the only one I actually wanted to play. Hopefully Amazon's "release day delivery" actually pulls through this time.

Cheska

Admittedly the game doesn't look as good as the other two big hitters, but that limited edition looked nice enough for me to import. Still worth at least trying it IMO.

Mdk7

Will probably buy it, even if only god knows when i'll be able to play it: my backlog is getting bigger and bigger, and like every Wii game it's gonna look like SHIT on my TV. :(

Top Bottom