• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pandora's Tower |OT| - Black is Beautiful

@MUWANdo

Banned
I wonder why Zangeki no Reginleiv was never considered for Europe...

The rumour kicking around was that Sin & Punishment was being used as a "test run" for the localisation of a few niche Japanese games, and that Reginleiv was the next on the list, but they scrapped those plans when S&P bombed.

I still don't see why Nintendo can't revisit games like Captain Rainbow, Takt of Magic and Zangeki, to fill the schedule this year and early 2013. Same is true of several DS games, obviously. Strike whilst the iron's hot, etc...

Captain Rainbow was never gonna come out here, even the Japanese reviewers complained about the lewd humour.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
By the way, if you register all three of the RPGs with Club Nintendo, you get this message.

ITB-TrilogyCoinPromo_en_GB.png

This applies to the UK. Not sure about other countries. Nice surprise, anyway.

Mdk7

The rumour kicking around was that Sin & Punishment was being used as a "test run" for the localisation of a few niche Japanese games, and that Reginleiv was the next on the list, but they scrapped those plans when S&P bombed.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Now i feel like crying.

BTW, was Reginleiv good? I loved EDF, so...

Zornica

Banned
Register all 3 Op. Rainfall games for a commemorative coin?

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB...as_pandoras_tower_launches_for_wii_49383.html

Twitter_TrilogyCoinPromotion_v01.png

(Please note that the Club Nintendo RPG Commemorative Coin Collection is gold-coloured only and does not contain any real gold.)

Still not going to get me to buy PT.

wow oO damn nice. I think the chances of winning one of these aren't actually that bad... hardly anyone, even on this forum, bought all 3.

Amazon shipped my pandora LE this morning, should arrive on monday. I am actually a little bit hyped now.

Free is free .

lol Nintendo UK really know how to sell their games.

If only we can get this else where.

It's available in germany too

My copy just turned up earlier, annoyingly Amazon managed to badly bend the top flap of the box prior to dispatch. Not managed to try the game yet, but I can honestly say that the Pandora's Tower steelbook is the nicest one I have ever laid my eyes on.

Nemesis_

UPDATED Impressions!

THINGS I LIKE:

• Game world is well developed / designed
  • Premise is an interesting one - go to each tower (thirteen all up) to retrieve flesh to cure your "girlfriends" curse
  • My initial concern was the game would take place in one location and thus no variety. However, there is a lot of variety in each of the thirteen towers.
  • Soundtrack is incredible and adds to the atmosphere
  • You find quite a few files around the place that give you hints on how to defeat enemies and such. This aspect is a bit Resident Evil-ish
  • The chain used in combat is interesting - you can bind an enemies body parts to give you an edge in battle. Aim at the feet to stop movement etc.
  • You can also throw enemies at each other or simply off an edge if you wish. You can also throw items into certain points in the wall to create grapple points.
  • Many enemies are designed around this chain mechanic - you might have to pull a core out of them to kill them or simply pull them out of the ground to be able to damage them.
  • All boss battles are designed around the chain mechanic - an enemy whose back is his weakpoint must be binded to rocks to prevent him from turning etc.
  • You can also grab an enemy and bind him to certain environmental pieces
  • You can BIND enemies to EACH OTHER which is quite fun. Damaging a binded enemy deals damage to both

THINGS I DON'T LIKE:

• I do not think anyone would trust the old woman at the beginning
  • I think I know where the story is going already =(
  • The "romance" system seems rather shallow and I'm not sure if I'm "doing it right"
  • I don't really know what the point of the Romance thing is and thus I am not sure if I can be bothered maintaining the relationship.
  • The combat system, bar the chain stuff, seems to lack depth. I would put it on the same level as a Zelda game
  • Somewhat linear at the moment.

I think it's also important for people to know that the game does employ a time limit mechanic - leaving your home area starts a timer that basically indicates how long you have to go until the female protagonist dies from the curse she has. While it sounds unappealing, so far I haven't had too many problems. There is a point in the timer where Elena will turn into a monster again and must be fed to be cured. This is not game over but I believe letting things get this bad will affect your relationship with her.

The timer could become a problem later in the game though - as it seems each dungeon requires you to do more and more as you progress, essentially ramping up the difficulty.

ALSO THIS IS NOT AN RPG, it's an ACTION GAME with LITTLE RPG ELEMENTS. Something that should be stated

And finally, DO NOT use the Classic Controller Pro. This game was obviously made for pointer controls and MANY of you will realise this when you boot it up and play around for the first time. CCP is a nice option but this game is clearly made for the controls. The accuracy you need to pull off some moves would just not be possible with the CCP.

frequency

I loved TLS for like a couple hours, hate the bosses, most poorly designed I can ever think of, just no fun, a lot of tedious elements.

Xenoblade seems to be the only worthwhile thing in operation rainfall in the end.

Bah at you. LS is kind of poor. But I like this one a lot.

I don't really know what the point of the Romance thing is and thus I am not sure if I can be bothered maintaining the relationship.

You get different endings depending on that gauge.

UPDATED Impressions!

THINGS I LIKE:

• Game world is well developed / designed
  • Premise is an interesting one - go to each tower (thirteen all up) to retrieve flesh to cure your "girlfriends" curse
  • My initial concern was the game would take place in one location and thus no variety. However, there is a lot of variety in each of the thirteen towers.
  • Soundtrack is incredible and adds to the atmosphere
  • You find quite a few files around the place that give you hints on how to defeat enemies and such. This aspect is a bit Resident Evil-ish
  • The chain used in combat is interesting - you can bind an enemies body parts to give you an edge in battle. Aim at the feet to stop movement etc.
  • You can also throw enemies at each other or simply off an edge if you wish. You can also throw items into certain points in the wall to create grapple points.
  • Many enemies are designed around this chain mechanic - you might have to pull a core out of them to kill them or simply pull them out of the ground to be able to damage them.
  • All boss battles are designed around the chain mechanic - an enemy whose back is his weakpoint must be binded to rocks to prevent him from turning etc.
  • You can also grab an enemy and bind him to certain environmental pieces
  • You can BIND enemies to EACH OTHER which is quite fun. Damaging a binded enemy deals damage to both

THINGS I DON'T LIKE:

• I do not think anyone would trust the old woman at the beginning
  • I think I know where the story is going already =(
  • The "romance" system seems rather shallow and I'm not sure if I'm "doing it right"
  • I don't really know what the point of the Romance thing is and thus I am not sure if I can be bothered maintaining the relationship.
  • The combat system, bar the chain stuff, seems to lack depth. I would put it on the same level as a Zelda game
  • Somewhat linear at the moment.

I think it's also important for people to know that the game does employ a time limit mechanic - leaving your home area starts a timer that basically indicates how long you have to go until the female protagonist dies from the curse she has. While it sounds unappealing, so far I haven't had too many problems. There is a point in the timer where Elena will turn into a monster again and must be fed to be cured. This is not game over but I believe letting things get this bad will affect your relationship with her.

The timer could become a problem later in the game though - as it seems each dungeon requires you to do more and more as you progress, essentially ramping up the difficulty.

ALSO THIS IS NOT AN RPG, it's an ACTION GAME with LITTLE RPG ELEMENTS. Something that should be stated

And finally, DO NOT use the Classic Controller Pro. This game was obviously made for pointer controls and MANY of you will realise this when you boot it up and play around for the first time. CCP is a nice option but this game is clearly made for the controls. The accuracy you need to pull off some moves would just not be possible with the CCP.

Thanks for the impressions. This sounds really good to me. Can you be more specific about how the combat lacks depth? Because your description of the different stuff you could do with the chains makes it seem as if the combat has tons of depth.

Nemesis_

I just don't feel it has depth yet. I've only got the sword and chain, and that's it. It's a cool idea and such but at the same time there's not a whole lot you can do outside of what I've listed.

I also should mention I may be biased as I am also playing Devil May Cry HD Collection along side this. >_> So maybe I am just comparing it subconsciously or something.

Zornica

Banned
Is this game coming to the States? This is one of the better looking Wii games I've seen in awhile.

Some comments from gamestop seemingly hinted that it will come to US sometime in summer.

@bold:
not to be disrespectful or something, but have you even been looking?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468391
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463686
I can hardly beliefe that you would be interessted in pandora but not in those two at all?

Xenoblade and The Last Story are nothing at all like Pandora's Tower.
I know that, thanks. I even said it myself in this thread.
Those two are undoubtedly high quality games, which he implied he hadn't seen for a long time on the wii, that leeds me to think he may not even be aware of them.

vitacola

Everyone at Buch.de only works Monday-Thursday and on Friday mornings, I guess.

OK, screw you Buch.de! I'm going to buy at Müller/MediaMarkt/Gamestop.

Thanks for your information, Shiggy.

Does somebody know if Gamestop (Germany) adjusts the prices of their games to Amazon prices?

jesusraz

Shame, as S&P2 didn't do badly in the UK.

Captain Rainbow was never gonna come out here, even the Japanese reviewers complained about the lewd humour.
RSG tried to get it, but Nintendo said no.

4W8Sk.jpg

Operation Rainfall, the group who campaigned relentlessly for Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora’s Tower to be released in North America, have announced that they will be hosting Pandora’s Tower month. Pandora’s Tower month will see videos, pictures, and music related to Pandora’s Tower posted online and will run from April 13th till May 11th in an effort to encourage Nintendo of America to localise the game.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/04/13/operation-rainfall-to-promote-pandoras-tower-month/

Jomjom

Banned
Does anyone know if HMV will sell any more of the LE with the artbook and box for all 3 OPR games? I reallllllly want it!

caligula13

Gold Member
the game look like shit on my tv, the english voices are terible (not the old woman) and i hate time limits!!

But the people in the game seem to worship many gods. That always gets me.

daakusedo

I think I've now a good grasp on the game and I just spent more than 3 hours on it today without noticing. There are strong colors choice and design to hide what seems to be a modest budget but that make me want nintendo to push more these projects on wiiu.
And as always when I'm playing games like this, I'm a bit disappointed with the numbers of games with heavy use of the wiimote cause controlling the chain here is really good.
On 4th tower, it become bigger with lot of different paths to take and more "hookshot" places to progress within. When you're not getting new powers for the chain, next towers bring fresh way to use it and the more it gets vertical, the better for exploration. There are also red doors since the first tower that I can't open.

Broken items when you get heavily hit is nice too with a lot of others immersive elements. Like the purple blood of Elena on the floor of the observatory, or the bracelet I'd give her that broke cause I'd wait too long to come back and her body got too deformed by the curse. And lot of details like that.
It's pretty rich in the upgrade and items creation too.

Mlatador

Banned
You know what? These coins reflect (once more) how much of a success Operation Rainfall was.

It's very good to know that it didn't go unnoticed.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well. This one just snuck right by me. Ordered the LE from 365 since HMV apparently isn't stocking. Ah well. :)

also

Banned
WARNING
My game froze when trying to create 2 rainbow scales by using shadow ore, after I had returned from the 7th and 8th towers (I visited both in the same round). After holding down the power button for 10 seconds and restarting the game I repeated the trip and gathered similar materials. The game still froze when trying the above combination. I had anticipated this, so I saved right after arriving at the observatory.
I copied the save file to an empty slot and did a little testing. The game doesn't freeze if you start by fusing 1 rainbow scale (afterwards you can fuse 2 at a time) or if you deposit the materials required for the fusion in the trunk. I guess, the bug has something to do with the location and quantity of items.
This happened once in ~16 hours of playtime, so do not panic.

Top Bottom