• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pandora's Tower |UN-OT| The Rainfall Comes To An End

ASIS

Gametrailers Review

Add a full point to their score and I'd fully agree. Except the part about the chain not working during some of the platforming sections. I found that it worked just as well as, if not better than, the hookshot from LoZ.

I loved it. It was much better than Xenoblade in my opinion, and I'm just now getting to The Last Story, but so far, PT is my favorite of the three Project Rainfall titles.

How come the entire review is shown while playing the classic controller? Maybe that's why they had problems with the controls?

also

Banned
Gametrailers Review

Add a full point to their score and I'd fully agree. Except the part about the chain not working during some of the platforming sections. I found that it worked just as well as, if not better than, the hookshot from LoZ.

The GT review made me remember how bad changing directions during swinging is. I eventually got used to it, but one room in the fire tower made me rage because I fell to the lower floor so many times.
Never had any control problems otherwise (Wiimote +nunchuk).

Seriously. I just finished up the disappointing (to me) Bioshock Infinite tonight and the game's flaws are probably hoisting the qualities of PT up for me.

Bioshock was self-aware, pretentious, and over-cooked. It felt like a hard-worked smattering of ideas that became something mediocre against a great backdrop. It has no commitments anywhere, and it dilutes some marvelous visuals and tight controls to 'hit us' with its story.

Pandora's Tower is small. Contained. It gives us people. It gives us dungeons. It has sometimes bad controls, imprecise combat, and poor direction. Still, I care about PT, partly for its status, but also because the game invites attention. Every time Elena gets worse, I get worse. I genuinely cared when my meter flashed. The oh fuck moments and investment were there in a way that contrasted the the 'never gave two fucks' about Elizabeth quotient in BI. I did this all while being confounded by the protagonist's weird bullshit...

Also, every time Elena changes is harsh. It's weird, it's fucked up - but she's strong. She cares and she's portrayed in such a way that I want to give her some fucking flower seeds. There's a woman there, and it's rare to say that about a game circa 5/4/13.

Hey.... whatchu doin talkin to my woman?!!

But this summary is definitely on point.

Coconut

Banned
The GT review made me remember how bad changing directions during swinging is. I eventually got used to it, but one room in the fire tower made me rage because I fell to the lower floor so many times.
Never had any control problems otherwise (Wiimote +nunchuk).

Yeah the fixed camera is not the most friendly thing in the game. At one point it was a solution to avoiding technical issues, issues that have been eliminated in now the modern gaming age.

Vercimber

I'm in the middle of this game, and I'm really surprised by how much I like it. It has the DNA of Nier, Panzer Dragoon, Rygar, and SotC. The game has lots of character; I really enjoy Mavda. My only annoyance is the protagonist's hair. This needs to stop.

For those who like the slightly janky Japanese titles with decently conceived worlds, this game is certainly worth it. I'm enjoying it much more than any recent AAA titles.

Guacamelee + Pandora's Tower is an interesting, very satisfying combination.

Kevtones

I'm in the middle of this game, and I'm really surprised by how much I like it. It has the DNA of Nier, Panzer Dragoon, Rygar, and SotC. The game has lots of character; I really enjoy Mavda. My only annoyance is the protagonist's hair. This needs to stop.

For those who like the slightly janky Japanese titles with decently conceived worlds, this game is certainly worth it. I'm enjoying it much more than any recent AAA titles.

Guacamelee + Pandora's Tower is an interesting, very satisfying combination.

Likewise. Just beat the 4th tower boss and it was awesome and challenging. Game is a PS2-like gem.

Jawmuncher

Finally beat the game today. Absolutely loved it for the most part. Really wish we would've seen more games like this on the Wii. Can't wait to finish the other operation rainfall games.

Thoughts:
-Really like the final boss and its arena. Would love to play that in HD.
-enjoyed the game being more about exploring the dungeons than all out combat
-Elena is one of the best female characters in recent years.
-the chain is a nice and unique use of the wiimote, and really adds to the gameplay

Only negatives I have are the second half of dungeons feel a tad recycled. One boss is a major pain mainly do to the camera. Money seems scarce as well as potions unless you want to grind or know how to manage/play.

With that said still loved it. Definitely one of the best titles on Wii.

katkombat

Banned
Well guys...I haven't played this game for a while...and I can't bring myself to it.

It's very boring to me even though I enjoy games of this (these?) type(s). It's something I will have to play over the summer. I do, however, think that the $36 was well worth it. I want to support XSEED for bringing this over! :)

Hero

Okay so I'm at the last tower and I keep getting this bug where it freezes up my Wii U as soon as I select the tower to go to.
Talking about Dawn/Dusk and it happens when I choose EITHER of them.
Quick Google Search shows that this is a problem specifically with the NA version? Can any of our local XSEED GAFers comment on this? Super frustrating, rebooted my system at least 10 times trying to load up the tower and it refuses to work. Even more salt on the wound because it takes a while for the Wii U to boot up in Wii mode even with the firmware update and it's a hard lock so I have to physically unplug the Wii U power adapter each time.

rdaneel72

Okay so I'm at the last tower and I keep getting this bug where it freezes up my Wii U as soon as I select the tower to go to.
Talking about Dawn/Dusk and it happens when I choose EITHER of them.
Quick Google Search shows that this is a problem specifically with the NA version? Can any of our local XSEED GAFers comment on this? Super frustrating, rebooted my system at least 10 times trying to load up the tower and it refuses to work. Even more salt on the wound because it takes a while for the Wii U to boot up in Wii mode even with the firmware update and it's a hard lock so I have to physically unplug the Wii U power adapter each time.

This has been discussed extensively in this thread.

Some things to try:

1) Generate a cutscene by giving Elena a piece of beast flesh, sleep until she awakens the next day, then go right to those towers.

2) Save and quit, copy your save file to a new save slot in the main menu, then load it up and go to those towers.

Very frustrating not knowing if your game is going to load. I have not found a sequence of events that loads every time, so keep at it.

ChuyMasta

Could someone explain how to open the doors that "You need a key for"

There's always one in each tower and I am thinking this is some sort of New game feature?

Also, is there a 100% easy to ready walk trough of the game? I can't beat the 8th tower =/
(The female water version)

And I'm barely at 50% completion so Im thinking I missed a LOT of stuff.

JulianImp

I finally got the game and played through the tutorial segment, and it looks promising so far. I'm in the middle of playing through RE4Wii, so I guess I'll get back to Pandora's Tower when I finish the former game (or get tired of it).

Anyone got some general tips for getting started with the game? I read from the game manual that I'll have to regularily go back to the observatory and feed Elena monster flesh to keep her from transforming into a monster, and that I can get different items depending on whether I simply hit enemies until they die or use my chain once they turn red. I've only battled the first enemy so far, but it seemed like I'd have to learn enemy attack patterns to beat them based on how that fight went, which looks fun.

Jawmuncher

Could someone explain how to open the doors that "You need a key for"

There's always one in each tower and I am thinking this is some sort of New game feature?

Also, is there a 100% easy to ready walk trough of the game? I can't beat the 8th tower =/
(The female water version)

And I'm barely at 50% completion so Im thinking I missed a LOT of stuff.

The key is a New Game+ item.
Sadly no easy way for the water towers best bet is finding a lets play. It's what I had to do in the same tower.

I finally got the game and played through the tutorial segment, and it looks promising so far. I'm in the middle of playing through RE4Wii, so I guess I'll get back to Pandora's Tower when I finish the former game (or get tired of it).

Anyone got some general tips for getting started with the game? I read from the game manual that I'll have to regularily go back to the observatory and feed Elena monster flesh to keep her from transforming into a monster, and that I can get different items depending on whether I simply hit enemies until they die or use my chain once they turn red. I've only battled the first enemy so far, but it seemed like I'd have to learn enemy attack patterns to beat them based on how that fight went, which looks fun.

Only tips would be to make sure you get dropping or pulsating flesh before you go back to the house. That's when you aim the chain and waggle the remote to pull it out. Aside from that make good use of the charge attack and upgrade weapon you'll mainly want to use. No need to ever really use one over the other accept for a few boss fights (but that's due to the speed you get when weapon is equipped over the actual damage output)

ChuyMasta

Alrighty! I finished the game.
Got the S ending, but my percent was 74%

Is it worth going through the trouble for the rest of the endings? I read FAQ's on how to unlock them....seems like a pain.

Timewise, what commitment am I looking at? 10 hours? 20?

And, I REALLY liked this game. I can only play in short spurs and the set up for this game was great. It took me like weeks to finish a tower. I usually just broke one chain, went back to Elena, gave her the meat, saved, quit.

I want to replay again, but Im not sure about hunting down the endings. I'm just interested in the Key.

Ohh yeah!

Hero

This has been discussed extensively in this thread.

Some things to try:

1) Generate a cutscene by giving Elena a piece of beast flesh, sleep until she awakens the next day, then go right to those towers.

2) Save and quit, copy your save file to a new save slot in the main menu, then load it up and go to those towers.

Very frustrating not knowing if your game is going to load. I have not found a sequence of events that loads every time, so keep at it.

Yeah I didn't see it earlier in the thread. This managed to work for me though, with a slight variation. As soon as I fed Elena flesh I slept until 7 am.

Great game, loved everything about the last battle.

bought this game at launch and just started it, WOW I'm kind of blown away from only an hour of playing. It gives me an ICO, Shadow of the colossus feel to it so far with a hint of god of war and devil may cry. Love it

jesusraz

It's good to see that so many people have at least tried this out after it finally got its US release, but I do wonder if it proved to be a worthwhile investment for XSEED.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's good to see that so many people have at least tried this out after it finally got its US release, but I do wonder if it proved to be a worthwhile investment for XSEED.

I'm hoping they at least broke even, they should be fairly good at estimating sales for small releases like this by now, but even if they lost a bit of money on it, they probably gained a lot of good will, and The Last Story was also said to be their most profitable project (or best selling one..), so it was probably a good move on their part.

Korigama

Hm, kind of disappointed to see so few pages here. That said, I picked this up new and sealed just yesterday from GameStop (it's on sale for $20 as of this post). From what I've played so far, unlike with Xenoblade and The Last Story, it feels like I'm limiting myself by using the CC Pro, so I'm going to try Wiimote+nunchuck when I go back.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hm, kind of disappointed to see so few pages here. That said, I picked this up new and sealed just yesterday from GameStop (it's on sale for $20 as of this post). From what I've played so far, unlike with Xenoblade and The Last Story, it feels like I'm limiting myself by using the CC Pro, so I'm going to try Wiimote+nunchuck when I go back.

oh god i should take advantage of this

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
so I just bought this game online today, when it comes in the mail I guess ill be giving updates on my progress in the game and i hope to have fun with it

Top Bottom