• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Shield and make sure you have more than 40 HP before using the spike helmet.

There's a hill area where sand constantly moves on a slope, and you have to jump continuiously. At the top of that hill, travel towards the screen and jump over the rocks.

OMG thank you, I had the same thought but I wasn't sure.

Vibed

I'm taking this game super effing slow, 18 hours and I just beat the 3rd world. I'm enjoying just going back and forth it a bunch of different levels, opening secret doors, filling my museum collection.

It sucks though, because I just found out there's a missable in this game in world 3, the world I just beat.
Apparently when you subdue the Wiggler segments, you can take them to certain locations to fill up the picture book in Wiggler's room. The pictures are crudely depicted representations of what each segment did while it was lost. It's supposed to be really funny too.
I was wondering what that
blank notepad thing
was for.

Question about that Decalburg Toad hiding behind the houses. Does he ever come back? I kept haggling him down knowing it was a Poison Mushroom until he just ran away.

zroid

Banned
I'm taking this game super effing slow, 18 hours and I just beat the 3rd world. I'm enjoying just going back and forth it a bunch of different levels, opening secret doors, filling my museum collection.

Seems like we're in about the same boat. Not quite finished World 3, but I'll probably be at around 18h when I do.

Korosenai

Got this game when it came out but ive been too busy with class and playing Halo 4.

Just finished 1-1 and 1-2, and I have a question. Whats up with those two random doors that are on the side of the walls?

Yuterald

Barf, I just read that there's a missable. I totally blew my chances too. It's always something totally fucking weird too like the emails in TTYD. Not that it has much to do with total game completion. It's still annoying nonetheless for someone who like's to 100%/complete a game in its entirety.

I just arrived at what I think is the final boss and this has definitely been my GOTY. I haven't played too much new stuff this year though. I've been mostly retro gaming throughout the year. Regardless, this has been a pretty special experience. I think it might be my favorite Paper Mario game of the bunch, but I need to replay the original game now to see if I'll feel any differently about it now that I've played Sticker Star. If this is the final boss area though, I'm somewhat disappointed that...
there's no real final stage/world. I thought Bower's Castle was going to at least have a few stages. Totally missed opportunity there. The classic Mario Bros. 3 battleship was fucking awesome, at least!
. Oh well.

Yuterald

What's missable?

World 3 related spoilers...
If you take each Wiggler piece back to Wiggler's notebook in his house they will draw a unique picture. If you've already "reassembled" Wiggler then you're shit out of luck. No complete story book for you.
Like I said, it's nothing Museum or Flag Pole completion related, but it's still disappointing and annoying if you're one of those mega completionists.

Yuterald

Just finished the game. 32 hours logged. I was pretty close to hitting all of my Super Flag goals too. The final boss was neat and the credits were AMAZINGLY PERFECT! Definitely my GOTY. I'm still relatively disappointed in the final world. There was a lot of potential for some great scenarios/stages, but what else could you ask for from such an otherwise flawless game? Oh well. I'm not sure if I want to start over for that missable I encountered. I'm also thinking I got screwed out of another small "unlockable" or whatever you want to call it in Decalburg. It's another one of those aesthetic/visual completion kind-of-things. I asked a question about it over at GameFaqs to see if anyone else can confirm my OCD suspicions.

Regardless, I'd kill for a sequel along the same line as this. An even more fleshed out sequel using the Sticker battle/puzzle system for Wii U could be incredible. Or maybe they're better off thinking of something new again, I don't know. I don't care, really. Just don't stop making Paper Mario games Nintendo/Intelligent Systems! Your games are always too much fun!

EDIT: Okay, my other possible one-time missable suspicion as been put to rest! God damn, popular/Nintendo game message boards on GameFaqs move fast and answer quickly! Ignore whatever concern I had. God damn Wiggler Book! =/

RM8

Man, this game is glorious. Can't stop playing it, it's so incredibly charming angle fun. It's definitely my GOTY too.

Theorizing. So I think someone in here said that it's possible to get Infinijump stickers early on in 2-5.

If that's the case, would it be possible to bypass the
Giant Cheep Cheep
without needing a fishing hook?

EDIT: Nevermind, someone on GameFAQs already tried it. Oh well.

Yuterald

Theorizing. So I think someone in here said that it's possible to get Infinijump stickers early on in 2-5.

If that's the case, would it be possible to bypass the
Giant Cheep Cheep
without needing a fishing hook?

I wouldn't be surprised. It seems like there a lot of ways to approach progression. I did World 5 before figuring out how to access the second half of World 3. I also ended up beating all bosses but two without using an intended Thing/Sticker. If you could grab the Boom Box, use a Frog Decal, and hit a jackpot with the Infinijump sticker then I'm thinking you could beat that guy without the hook.

EDIT: Oh, it was already tested? Still, there's some pretty powerful sticker combinations if you experiment enough.

Yep, the boss is left at 1 HP, so it'll be a waste. It's also possible to get the Flashy Infinijump utilizing the Sticker Blocks in 1-1, so you could almost deck the boss of 1-6.

I'm gonna move onto World 4 next, but I need the radiator since none of its equivelents are available before 4-1, so to World 3-10, in where I wonder where in the hell am I going to get BurningHammers since nothing is selling them yet.

Boogiepop

Oh man, just beat the World 3 boss without the weakness. Took a LOT of stickers, and getting back the things I lost in doing so ate up almost all my coins, heh. The game was even like "don't you think maybe there was a better way of doing this?" Yes, yes there was. But I didn't feel like resetting after going halfway through the battle to test things out. What WAS the weakness on that one, anyway?

Oh, and definitely enjoying the game a lot thus far. Pretty much only have small complaints so far. Like, paperizing things for puzzles only to realize you were wrong and wasted a ton of coins is kinda eh, and I can't help but feel there may have been a less potentially frustrating way of doing that.
Only screwed up in trying to wake up Wiggler with a Jackhammer, but that was a waste of 300 coins so eh.
Oh, and it'd be nice if the game gave you a way of seeing if a level has a door/thing left in it. Maybe a fortuneteller or something like in past game in the series (or maybe there is one and I haven't found it yet). Oh, and it's kind of lame making you leave a level halfway through every once in a while, thus negating the coin bonus you should get from beating enemies.

Still, absolutely beautiful game and a neat little take on the genre.

Roto13

Oh man, just beat the World 3 boss without the weakness. Took a LOT of stickers, and getting back the things I lost in doing so ate up almost all my coins, heh. The game was even like "don't you think maybe there was a better way of doing this?" Yes, yes there was. But I didn't feel like resetting after going halfway through the battle to test things out. What WAS the weakness on that one, anyway?

So you missed one of the best parts of the game, then.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Beat the game at around 25 hours. Really quite a blast and it passed Kid Icarus as my game of the year. This game just oozes polished and the localization is outstanding per usual with the series. The world map adds a lot too. There's just so much to do in every world that it's clear why many reviewers, who probably had to rush to get their review out, felt lost, or confused. Thankfully I was never stuck wondering what to do next.

The soundtrack for this game is some of the best I've ever heard. Ice World.. and a particular theme near the ending being on the top of my list. I really enjoyed the battle system as well and it made you look at the game in a different light. Personally, I always cleared an area of enemies my first time through and in the end when I badly needed to use coins, I'm glad I did. I really didn't feel, like some did, that battling was pointless. I thought it was incredibly enjoyable as well.

And for those criticizing the story, I'd say the smaller stories as you explore the world are the real tale you're following. It's much more interesting to me than having to drum up the main plot into something more epic.

I really love this game, and I still have plenty to do in it with only 92% of the stickers and 75% of the hearts.

Oh, and definitely enjoying the game a lot thus far. Pretty much only have small complaints so far. Like, paperizing things for puzzles only to realize you were wrong and wasted a ton of coins is kinda eh, and I can't help but feel there may have been a less potentially frustrating way of doing that.
Only screwed up in trying to wake up Wiggler with a Jackhammer, but that was a waste of 300 coins so eh.
Oh, and it'd be nice if the game gave you a way of seeing if a level has a door/thing left in it. Maybe a fortuneteller or something like in past game in the series (or maybe there is one and I haven't found it yet). Oh, and it's kind of lame making you leave a level halfway through every once in a while, thus negating the coin bonus you should get from beating enemies.

Still, absolutely beautiful game and a neat little take on the genre.

I ended up using the
Sponge, prior to his poison attack. You can tell when it's coming via his formation
. I had a couple other powerful stickers, but mostly just beat the crap out of him and avoided that really deadly attack with the before said item.. which did a butt load of damage too via poison.

Mistle

What do TTYD fanatics such as myself think of this game? I'm excited for the PAL release but the change in formula has me slightly worried.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What do TTYD fanatics such as myself think of this game? I'm excited for the PAL release but the change in formula has me slightly worried.

I adore TTYD and am loving this game, but it is definitely a lot different. I don't think your previous appreciation for the series will have much bearing here.

jrDev

I love that there is a different version of the same world theme depending on where you are on world map...and they are parallel in loop. I go back and forth just to play around with it. Great little touch there... :)

If you go in expecting TTYD2, you will be sad.

If you go in expecting something as charming as it is different from TTYD, you will adore it.

Final Boss spoilers:

Can someone tell me what stickers are most efficient against Bowser? I bring in eight full pages and start to haul ass but then I always run out!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I will say I really like how the opening segment teaches you all kinds of information about how to investigate your environment in various ways with very little text and only hints if you explicitly ask for them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Final Boss spoilers:

Can someone tell me what stickers are most efficient against Bowser? I bring in eight full pages and start to haul ass but then I always run out!

Here's what I did with 80 HP
POW Blocks + Powerful Hammers, mostly. If he's crumbled he takes a bunch more damage. It also means you get a free turn where you're not taking damage. Make sure you're bringing the best of the best stickers with you. Go back to the lava stages and pickup things like the Large Green Mushroom which will restore your health over a period of time, and bring some powerful THING stickers, along with the large hammers. Don't use too many slots on jumping stickers, since you'll only be using them in the very very end. And always activate the spinner. Waste coins if need be. Remember three mushrooms will heal you and three POW blocks is a free POW.

Fruther strategy.. piece by piece..
First part, use a POW Block to crumble Bowser and minions THING sticker like the powerful scissors to clear out the minions he summoned. With the most powerful scissors he'll flee in one hit. With the Whomp, I used the red shoe / 100 jump sticker on him and just beat up Bowser with three hammers every turn. In the next section I activated one of my Green Mushrooms, so I basically took no damage every turn and just beat up Bowser with powerful hammer attacks. For 'last form' with the chomp, always have at least two attacks per turn. First attack ignore the chomp (or POW Block, Koopa Shell, etc) and second turn hit Bowser hard with hammers. He'll heal himself once, and that's when you know you're close

I'm sure there are better, or more effective ways, but I manage to beat him pretty easily without using more than half my stickers. Always have that spinner going and go for Excellent.

Roto13

For the final boss, use
tape, stapler, or something similar to bolt those goddamn minion dispensers shuts. And a freezing thing to freeze the lava dudes. And scissors to chop up the thwomp after you knock it down. And some raccoon tails to one-shot him when he throws a chomp at you.
Otherwise, fight him like you fight anything else. Except don't jump.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For the final boss, use
tape, stapler, or something similar to bolt those goddamn minion dispensers shuts. And a freezing thing to freeze the lava dudes. And scissors to chop up the thwomp after you knock it down. And some raccoon tails to one-shot him when he throws a chomp at you.
Otherwise, fight him like you fight anything else. Except don't jump.

So much work
made him run in one hit with the shears first form, destroy Whomp in one turn with the red shoe.. and Green Mushroom recovery means third form can't even do damage.

Bwohoho. But I'm glad this game offers multiple ways to beat things.

I have been playing this game and I find the sticker system to be brilliant myself. There's strategy in what stickers to carry and how they affect enemies, and a good variety of attacks. The enemy design is great and well varied too. I am really enjoying the level design too, it feels like enemy placement actually matters like a Mario game, and it's very Zelda-like in how you solve puzzles and the non-linear routes you can take to completing levels.

I mean, I haven't gotten past World 3 yet but I can't see why people would hate this game.

Whoever compared the sticker system to FF8's junction system is wrong, btw. I won't go into detail because it's too easy to start an FF8 argument but it's just wrong.

rjc571

Banned
What the hell, I went under the quicksand in 2-1 expecting at best to find a secret and at worst to lose a few HP, instead it gave me instant game over??? Fuck this.

The Hermit

Posted this one a Super Mario Land 2 appreciation thread:

I played for the first time a couple of months ago, on the 3DS, and I was really surprised... It was an awesome game, withount Bowser as the big bad and with a great unique soudtrack.

After that I was sad that Star Maze music was never reused... Such a nice tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmD9WnLYR5I

Thanks IntSys!

not_awesome_smiley.png

zroid

Banned

I adore TTYD and am loving this game, but it is definitely a lot different. I don't think your previous appreciation for the series will have much bearing here.

Agreed, definitely different. I wouldn't say there's no bearing, as the writing, charm, and visual gags are all still present in full force, but the gameplay is entirely its own thing.

Yuterald

I'm working on finishing my remaining Super Flag goals. I could be done with it all today. I just need two more battle related ones (50 Jackpots and 500 Perfect Bonuses). I'm pretty close to each of those goals though. Just a bit more grinding in 4-1 and I'll be sitting at a nice glorious 100% (sans Wiggler Book).

I could definitely see myself retuning to this Paper Mario game more than any other one down the road. In the most literal sense, Sticker Star is probably the most re-playable game in the series. The fact that it's so light on context and dialogue makes this game more digestible on replays. The semi-non linear level design and sticker experimentation helps a lot too. Although, there are a few scenarios/bosses that require specific stickers which can put a damper on those who figure out high damage sticker combinations. Regardless, there's a lot of options in this game as far as how to approach combat. Is it more substantial than the kind of shit you could do with low level runs and badge combinations in the previous games? I don't know. I guess the series fanatics will figure that one out.

I guess I'll post a few final nit-picking/post game completion thoughts before I wrap this up as well:

-Final world was disappointing for me...
Bower's Castle should have had stages!
As I've mentioned, it was a total missed opportunity.
-No 100 Floor Pit? No secret dungeon/boss? The battle system is so fucking good in this game. Sticker Star BEGS for a boss rush or some sort of enemy gauntlet room.
-Another oddball missable found in an otherwise flawless gem. Wiggler Book = TTYD Emails.
-Some HP-Max Ups were placed in total weirdo locations.
Returning to Stump Glade and finding the one added to the bottom of the game show room. The one in 3-1 that just gets added to the path right before the goal. I like the idea of adding new items to the forest post poison squid battle, but why in those locations? So fucking random. They would have been better placed in previously poisoned holes/pits in other parts of the world.
I actually found myself going back to boss locations because I thought that would have been a cool spot to place HP-Max Ups, but NOPE! This is MEGA NITPICKING on my part, but I'm totally bothered by decisions like this, lol!
-There's no proper Tattle guide or bestiary.
Although, the reward for obtaining all of the battle stickers is KIND of a monster book, but not really.
-There's no classic sleeping-in-bed animation. Also, they missed opportunity to use it during the use of the Bed Things/Stickers.

With all that said, it's still my GOTY. OCD/ridiculous nitpicking aside, Sticker Star was just too perfect of a game to trash on. I don't know how long it'll be until we see another Paper Mario, but I'm looking forward to see what they do next! =D

Vibed

A 100 floor pit done right where you had to manage your sticker resources would have been PHENOMENAL. If you can hold, say, 120 or so stickers by end game, you could only use a sticker or two a floor. Of course, there would be spots where you could restock, either as prizes or a shop or just being given basic stuff like hammer and jump.

Roto13

I'm working on finishing my remaining Super Flag goals. I could be done with it all today. I just need two more battle related ones (50 Jackpots and 500 Perfect Bonuses). I'm pretty close to each of those goals though. Just a bit more grinding in 4-1 and I'll be sitting at a nice glorious 100% (sans Wiggler Book).

I could definitely see myself retuning to this Paper Mario game more than any other one down the road. In the most literal sense, Sticker Star is probably the most re-playable game in the series. The fact that it's so light on context and dialogue makes this game more digestible on replays. The semi-non linear level design and sticker experimentation helps a lot too. Although, there are a few scenarios/bosses that require specific stickers which can put a damper on those who figure out high damage sticker combinations. Regardless, there's a lot of options in this game as far as how to approach combat. Is it more substantial than the kind of shit you could do with low level runs and badge combinations in the previous games? I don't know. I guess the series fanatics will figure that one out.

I guess I'll post a few final nit-picking/post game completion thoughts before I wrap this up as well:

-No 100 Floor Pit? No secret dungeon/boss? The battle system is so fucking good in this game. Sticker Star BEGS for a boss rush or some sort of enemy gauntlet room.
-Another oddball missable found in an otherwise flawless gem. Wiggler Book = TTYD Emails.
Returning to Stump Glade and finding the one added to the bottom of the game show room. The one in 3-1 that just gets added to the path right before the goal. I like the idea of adding new items to the forest post poison squid battle, but why in those locations? So fucking random. They would have been better placed in previously poisoned holes/pits in other parts of the world.
I actually found myself going back to boss locations because I thought that would have been a cool spot to place HP-Max Ups, but NOPE! This is MEGA NITPICKING on my part, but I'm totally bothered by decisions like this, lol!
Although, the reward for obtaining all of the battle stickers is KIND of a monster book, but not really.
-There's no classic sleeping-in-bed animation. Also, they missed opportunity to use it during the use of the Bed Things/Stickers.

With all that said, it's still my GOTY. OCD/ridiculous nitpicking aside, Sticker Star was just too perfect of a game to trash on. I don't know how long it'll be until we see another Paper Mario, but I'm looking forward to see what they do next! =D

I think the 3-1 one was just a message saying "Hey, there's new stuff! Explore again."

I just got this yesterday (waited to find a good deal here in Mexico, and maaan did I get lucky. I paid $38 USD, when we usually pay like $61 USD or more). Being the TTYD freak I am, I was worried about this game a lot. Gladly, I don't need to be worried anymore.
I have just explored everything available until 1-1 (and completed the latter), so I'm not sure if the quality will be as consistent as it is right now, but I'm liking it a lot. The sticker museum is amazing and really addictive, I will complete that sucker ASAP. The battle system is amazing, and I keep battling every enemy I encounter. Can't wait to see what's next.

I just want to say, fellow TTYD/64 fans, give this game a chance. Lower your expectations, and it might surprise you. Hell, this could be my GOTY if it keeps like this.

As I said, TTYD is, along with Brawl, one of my favorite games of all time, and I really like what I've played of this game. The battle system may turn you off at first, and I don't know if it's just me, but I don't care that you don't earn exp. because I keep battling and battling, and I haven't even bought a sticker yet. I also love exploring, so, I like having to search for the heart upgrades. I'd say that, if you have the opportunity, you should give it a chance. Just remember to lower your expectations, because this is really different from past Paper Mario games.

Aaand a stupid question: How the hell do I use the hammer stickers correctly in battle? I have no problems with the jump-related stickers, but I keep getting 3's or 6's at best, and have only gotten a single 9.

Yuterald

I think the 3-1 one was just a message saying "Hey, there's new stuff! Explore again."

Yeah, but there were better opportunities to put those HP-Ups in cooler, more fun-to-find spots, you know what I mean? World 3 spoilers incoming...
In one of the stages in World 3, post squid battle, there's a bed of pop-up flowers in the form of an arrow pointing towards a secret room. You could find this room without getting rid of the poison, but it's meant to be found after the poison has been cleared.
That was how you do, "Hey, there's new stuff! Explore Again" properly. Instead, they just dumped a few of them on spots right before the comet goal star. No exploration or thought required. Just return to a room that had no visual/environment/surrounding change and find an HP Max for some reason!

Again, this is like galaxy levels of OCD kind of complaints, lol! Like I said, these kinds of decisions drive me nuts sometimes! =D

EDIT:
A 100 floor pit done right where you had to manage your sticker resources would have been PHENOMENAL. If you can hold, say, 120 or so stickers by end game, you could only use a sticker or two a floor. Of course, there would be spots where you could restock, either as prizes or a shop or just being given basic stuff like hammer and jump.

Yes, exactly! A 100 floor pit would have worked extremely well in this game. It's really a shame Intelligent Systems passed on the idea. I wonder if it was a conscious decision or a time/budget constraint sort-a-thing.

Finally bought the game last night and have been playing a bit this morning.
So far I'm loving the game, it's charming as hell, the 3D is actually very well done and the gameplay is very addictive.

Koroviev

Finally bought the game last night and have been playing a bit this morning.
So far I'm loving the game, it's charming as hell, the 3D is actually very well done and the gameplay is very addictive.

Yeah, I thought I was going to abandon using 3D, but the aliasing in the levels is not nearly as bad as it can be in the towns.

Thank god I'm not the only one with this mindset when it comes to this games replay value. I wonder if Sticker balance would make the Pit a difficult thing to do.

Needless to say, Sticker Star has a great foundation to build upon, it'll be sad for them to do away with it if they did. There's just some things in here that makes me puzzled about how it wasn't implemented in the Mario RPGs. An example would be..... ranged attacks on the field. They always dragged you into a battle, and bullet bills would trigger a battle. It was a waste of time. Sticker star just goes you get hit, you get damaged, lets keep going. No battles needed. Makes total sense. And potentially more punishing as well.

So those stickers with special items (like
Scissors, Good Luck Cat, etc
). Are they a one time thing or will I have to replay levels to get repeats? I stuck one in the museum and now I am wondering if I will ever need to use it later for a puzzle/boss fight.

Roto13

So those stickers with special items (like
Scissors, Good Luck Cat, etc
). Are they a one time thing or will I have to replay levels to get repeats? I stuck one in the museum and now I am wondering if I will ever need to use it later for a puzzle/boss fight.

You can find them again wherever you got them the first time, or you can buy them from the shady little door left of the place where you sling things.

Trurl

Banned
I'm only on the second world, though I skipped ahead and finished the first level of world 3. I like the mechanics of the game, but it seems like the scenarios are weak in characterization compared to other Mario RPGs. Are more NPCs introduced later on? Does Mario ever meet a rich cast of characters like in the Thousand Year Door? It seemed like the first level of world 3 takes a step in this direction compared to world 1 and what I've seen from world 2, but only a step.

Roto13

I'm only on the second world, though I skipped ahead and finished the first level of world 3. I like the mechanics of the game, but it seems like the scenarios are weak in characterization compared to other Mario RPGs. Are more NPCs introduced later on? Does Mario ever meet a rich cast of characters like in the Thousand Year Door? It seemed like the first level of world 3 takes a step in this direction compared to world 1 and what I've seen from world 2, but only a step.

Near endgame spoiler:

At one point you need to fly somewhere, and Kirsti says something like "Who do you know who can fly?" and I thought "Who do I know, fullstop?" and the only answer was Wiggler.

Top Bottom