• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Definitely getting a Baten Kaitos vibe from these reviews, as I felt BK had the same problem they described...the amount of options and having to find the right Stickers/Cards at times can get overwhelming and frustrating.

But I really like how they included a World Map and such, seems to have taken Super Paper Mario's idea of "Platformer RPG" and gave more strength to both sides.

zroid

Banned
IGN review made me realise what this game is:
Its a sticker collector. Open world and about just looking for stickers. Mario is just an excuse to sell the sticker collection game.

So yeah its a collectathon based on sticker collecting. Individual worlds might as well be different sticker packs.

A while ago I made the determination that in many ways this is Nintendo's take on a loot game. An RPG with emphasis on collecting more and more powerful and cool items (or the money to get them), and less on character stat building, independent from those items.

Only the battle system was better. Everything else was not, especially art style, music, levels, writing, structure, partners, etc.

TTYD was a good sequel, but not good enough to be better than the first one. Although to be fair, there's a distinct lack of Mario Gonzales in PM1.

How were the partners better? In N64 most of the partners had little personality after their initial chapter debut. How was the art style worse?

A while ago I made the determination that in many ways this is Nintendo's take on a loot game. An RPG with emphasis on collecting more and more powerful and cool items (or the money to get them), and less on character stat building, independent from those items.

So if I hated Torchlight should I avoid this?

Derrick01

Banned
The kotaku review mentioned that the puzzles are basically trial and error because sometimes what you think would work, or what seems to be an obvious solution, won't work because the game wasn't programmed to realize that solution. That's always a frustrating and annoying thing.

I'm pleased to hear that it seems to be a lot more challenging. My only complaint about the first 2 paper mario games was how brain dead easy they were.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so game is beautiful, long, polished with some issues like being sometimes frustrating and the sticker mechanic isn't perfect. BOUGHT

The 1up review is encouraging, IGN review is not.

how come? If anything, IGN' review made me relax a little...it's very positive

Aeana

Besides loot (coins, stickers, health) drops immediately after battle, the more enemies you defeat during the course of a stage the more cash you receive as a bonus once you complete it. Also, they're fun!

Oh, cool. Well, that might be enough for me.

so game is beautiful, long, polished with some issues like being sometimes frustrating and the sticker mechanic isn't perfect. BOUGHT

how come? If anything, IGN' review made me relax a little...it's very positive

I don't like the sound of the game discouraging experimentation as IGN says it does.

Madao

lol, people complining about the difficulty level? that's actually increasing my anticipation.

getting lost and looking for stuff sounds good considering the amount of hand-holding in most recent nintendo games.

zroid

Banned
Just watching the GameXplain review (and ignoring the voiceover) makes it look and sound so damn awesome. But design problems are not conveyed well through video footage. :(

lol, people complining about the difficulty level? that's actually increasing my anticipation.

getting lost and looking for stuff sounds good considering the amount of hand-holding in most recent nintendo games.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy games that kick my ass when it comes to difficulty on occasion. There has to be a reason behind it though. Also, don't throw in a useless sidekick (Kersti isn't a sidekick persay as much as a Navi clone of sorts) who is supposed to give you hints and practically fails at that. I don't need things really spelled out for me most of the time, but a nudge was all I was looking for and didn't get.

I wish there would be some happy medium Nintendo could find to balance that.

This will be my first Paper Mario ever.. I'm excited :D and hope to not get dissapointed but yeah, i love the deisgn, concept of paper and everything so it's gonna be hard to dissapoint me

Qurupeke

Yay, the reviews are great!!! :D I've preorder it, but still it's one month from now. :/ Why NoE... Why you disappoint me on this game!? :(

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I don't like the sound of the game discouraging experimentation as IGN says it does.

that's a issue, indeed. But yet, the positives far outweight the (minor) negatives to me. I was more concerned about game being short, though, which I am happy to know is not the case here

People like different kinds of difficulty. I don't enjoy getting lost. I'd prefer difficult battles with easy exploration. That's not really something I find "lulzy."

WillyFive

How were the partners better? In N64 most of the partners had little personality after their initial chapter debut. How was the art style worse?

They made the design for Mario and other characters more complex, and lost some of it's initial appeal. See the very nice and simple design for Mario in PM64:

370px-Mario_Paper.jpg

To the busier one used starting from TTYD:

375px-Mario_PM2.png

It was no longer an animated sprite but a bunch of smaller sprites put together, which made it look less appealing in my opinion.

Also, TTYD started giving the worlds a comic-book like texture to them, as opposed to the painting and paper-like ones from the N64 game.

Notice the paper mache inspired textures of PM64:

Gusty_gulch.PNG

Notice the comic book dots on the grass in TTYD:

Petalburg.jpg

It made the PM universe look a lot more cold and bland.

As for the partners, TTYD's partners seemed to be analogues to the partners of PM64. Each time I got a new one in TTYD, all I could think off was "oh, this is guy so and so from PM64". Only one that didn't give me this feeling was the Yoshi character, which is why he is so memorable to me.

Also, add to the fact the forgettable villains of TTYD, the generic endgame, and the poor music; I can't find a reason other than technical ones to say TTYD was better than PM64.

Drago

The reviews are no where near as bad as I thought they were going to be.

Still excited for this game. All the games I want for the rest of the year are coming out too close to each other :(

Downhome

All I want is a video game that will enable me to summon the power of GOAT.

This game provides that to me.

I will buy this game.

Seda

Read up on a couple of the reviews. Still really excited to play this. I've liked each Paper Mario to some degree.

zroid

Banned
All the games I want for the rest of the year are coming out too close to each other :(

Indeed. :(

Prof Layton, Paper Mario, NSMBU, Nintendo Land, Persona 4 Golden, and Crashmo

oh and the relatively tiny expense that is Wii U

Mr. Fix

Still excited for this game. All the games I want for the rest of the year are coming out too close to each other :(

This. I expected 6's. Not that it would have affected my purchase, but it's great to hear.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
1up review makes it seem like one of the most innovative and open games Nintendo has ever made, while the IGN review makes it sound so frustrating that skipping it may be a smart opition. 1up acts as if the fighting system is almost unparalleled in keeping things fresh, while IGN acts as if it is either too easy with regular enemies or a repetitive trail and error fest during bosses. 1up compares the openness and non-clues to an original Zelda-like experience, while IGN thinks its flat-out horrible game design. Both seem to agree that the puzzles are sometimes way to opaque and forgo other puzzle uses that would make sense, which can be frustrating. They also agree that the writing, paper elements, and world is extremely charming and should be experienced.

So who is right? The boss battles and puzzles IGN described seemed like they could potentially be infuriating, but 1up made it sound awesome...

These are great reviews. Most reviewers find the design frustrating but in the end somehow good (to some degree) which is cool. Obviously not a game for everybody though.

I was worried it was going to be too short :p seems not!

Why would reviews for this be bad? Does this series usually review poorly?

1up review makes it seem like one of the most innovative and open games Nintendo has ever made, while the IGN review makes it sound so frustrating that skipping it may be a smart opition. 1up acts as if the fighting system is almost unparalleled in keeping things fresh, while IGN acts as if it is either too easy with regular enemies or a repetitive trail and error fest during bosses. 1up compares the openness and non-clues to an original Zelda-like experience, while IGN thinks its flat-out horrible game design. Both seem to agree that the puzzles are sometimes way to opaque and forgo other puzzle uses that would make sense, which can be frustrating. They also agree that the writing, paper elements, and world is extremely charming and should be experienced.

So who is right? The boss battles and puzzles IGN described seemed like they could potentially be infuriating, but 1up made it sound awesome...

Yeah, wondering this too. I'm still leaning against canceling my preorder for now, at least.

eternalb

Yup, sounds like it'll be very divisive. Gamexplain and the exact same complains as IGN and sounds like it really damaged the experience. But I'll wait to try it for myself before deciding

jackal27

Banned
Ahhhhh... I just can't decide. Being poor doesn't make it any easier. I may just wait for my podcast co-host's impressions...

kitzkozan

It seems the game is a mix of great and terrible ideas, but that's why it's interesting from my point of view. I don't care if I'll sometime be frustrated to find a solution to a puzzle (like the 1up review stated, I'm not one who's going to rip apart a game designer for not insulting the intelligence of the player who's gotta figure some stuff out on his own).

jschreier

It seems the game is a mix of great and terrible ideas, but at least it make the game interesting in my eyes. I don't care if I'll sometime be frustrated to find a solution to a puzzle (like the 1up review stated, I'm not one who's going to rip apart a game designer for not insulting the intelligence of the player who's gotta figure some stuff out on his own).

The problem with a great deal of the puzzle design is not that it makes you figure stuff out on your own, it's that there are often times when your idea for a solution might differ from the designer's idea for a solution. There's a lot of trial-and-error. Think old early-90s point-and-click adventure games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The problem with a great deal of the puzzle design is not that it makes you figure stuff out on your own, it's that there are often times when your idea for a solution might differ from the designer's idea for a solution. There's a lot of trial-and-error. Think old early-90s point-and-click adventure games.

Can I say that I loved the quotes part of your review? :D
"Amazing"
"Frustrating"
"I can seem pretty bipolar"

:lol

Skiesofwonder

Yeah, wondering this too. I'm still leaning against canceling my preorder for now, at least.

Yup, sounds like it'll be very divisive. Gamexplain and the exact same complains as IGN and sounds like it really damaged the experience. But I'll wait to try it for myself before deciding

Well RMC over at the place to go for Nintendo news posted a review more in line with 1up:

RMC said:
For me, it ends up being one of Nintendo's most ambitious and entertaining outings yet!

I love...LOVE the battle system in Sticker Star. It can be harsh and unforgiving, but that's because it wants you to learn how to use it. There's a method to the madness here. Whether you decide to use all that's offered to your advantage is up to you. It'll make for a fantastically enjoyable experience, especially when you learn what stickers to use and when. Wasting sticker after sticker after each use is no fun, especially when each sticker is only good for one turn. Take the time to learn what works and why it does. Trust me, you'll be much better for it.

As I said, sometimes you'll have to do this in order to progress through the game. This is where I really, REALLY enjoy Sticker Star. The game does a great job of making you think of how to solve issues with stickers. It doesn't hit you over the head with the answers. You actually have to stop and figure these things out on your own. You can always get some help from an in-game partner with the press of the L button, but even then you might not get all the clues you need. Sticker Star hearkens back to a time where gamers had to use a bit more brain power and a little less hand-holding.

Again, this is another element of the game that some people might not enjoy at all. To be completely honest, I had more than a few members of the press reach out to me with questions about how to progress in the game. They couldn't figure out how to access a new level or find what they needed to do in order to move things forward. This elements of the game can range from opening the next level to finding secret exits in worlds prior.

I love this kind of exploration. I love this kind of gaming. This is the stuff we don't see anymore. I want to scratch my head from time to time. I don't need to be told how to do things and have flashing indicators on screen as to what I should do next. Let me take in the game world. Let me immerse myself in a battle, a puzzle or an obstacle. Sticker Star never asks you to take on impossibly complex puzzles that you'll never figure out on your own. It does ask you to be inquisitive, explore what it offers and seek out answers along the way.

He goes on to praise the music, story, and innovative-nature of the game, while saying he recommends it "with every inch of his beard".

I'm not sure what to think anymore..

eternalb

He goes on to praise the music, story, and innovative-nature of the game, while saying he recommends it "with every inch of his beard".

I'm not sure what to think anymore..

That is high praise, but is there a major first-party Nintendo game he hasn't liked recently?

Skiesofwonder

This is one of my major problems with series like Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk, but I think I can live with it as long as the rest of the game is good.

Do you think your impressions were affected by having to play within a limited time period? Or is it just a general problem? I'm just thinking back to some gameboy games which I suppose were comparable to Zelda 1; on handheld it was almost what I liked than anything else.

Designers/Player being at odds is a bit worrying though.

Skiesofwonder

That is high praise, but is there a major first-party Nintendo game he hasn't liked recently?

True. :p But he acts as if its one of the BEST Nintendo games, so that's what caught my eye.

Note: I honestly don't read many of RMC's reviews so I wouldn't now.

Gravijah

For some reason I thought Amazon ships pre-orders the day before if it is released on a Sunday. Hmm, I guess I'll just buy it at a store. Thanks though.

Can't wait for the game!

they do generally, i think. but for most people, it's still not gonna arrive at your house on Sunday.

Top Bottom