• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star |OT| Delicious Flat Characters

zroid

Banned
Well RMC over at the place to go for Nintendo news posted a review more in line with 1up:

He goes on to praise the music, story, and innovative-nature of the game, while saying he recommends it "with every inch of his beard".

I'm not sure what to think anymore..

Oh good, I was waiting for his review.

That is high praise, but is there a major first-party Nintendo game he hasn't liked recently?

The last one that comes to mind is Other M, I think. I probably feel the same way though, heh.

TriGen

I liked this review, it explains the game's +- quickly. I think it's clear the most common problem people have with the games is that they feel like they can't use the stickers in a way they want. Basically, you think you're clever and then the game tells you that the sticker you chose doesn't work. I'm okay if that's the main problem, that seems like a normal video game thing to do.

zroid

Banned
I liked this review, it explains the game's +- quickly. I think it's clear the most common problem people have with the games is that they feel like they can't use the stickers in a way they want. Basically, you think you're clever and then the game tells you that the sticker you chose doesn't work. I'm okay if that's the main problem, that seems like a normal video game thing to do.
What Paper Mario can learn from Scribblenauts

jschreier

Do you think your impressions were affected by having to play within a limited time period? Or is it just a general problem? I'm just thinking back to some gameboy games which I suppose were comparable to Zelda 1; on handheld it was almost what I liked than anything else.

Designers/Player being at odds is a bit worrying though.

Nah, I had a lot of time to play. I got my copy ~2 weeks ago. And it's a short game -- took me 17 hours to beat, and that's with at least a few hours of wandering around aimlessly while I tried to figure out what to do next.

Yuterald

The difficulty hype me more.

This can't be worst than La Maluna.

Hah! Yeah, if we're going to talk non-linearity/directionless gaming, go play La-Mulana. I DOUBT Sticker Star is as vague as that game. La-Mulana is the perfect example of going too far with being cryptic. Regardless, I'm more excited about this game after hearing all of these impressions!

ohlawd

Nah, I had a lot of time to play. I got my copy ~2 weeks ago. And it's a short game -- took me 17 hours to beat, and that's with at least a few hours of wandering around aimlessly while I tried to figure out what to do next.

is there a substantial amount of post-game content? Or at least, a Pit of 100 Trials?

Randdalf

Tempted to not get it now, reading the reviews and actually seeing what the game is like... but I'll probably stick with it.

hmm...right okay thanks - difficulty doesn't sound quite as appealing then as I slightly hoped.

jschreier

Well, I beat the game late last night (the final boss tripped me up for a long time), so I haven't taken much time to wander around the world other than a quick stroll through town after the end credits. There could very well be a pit or some other crazy secret that I haven't found yet. Dunno!

Hm.. quick question. Do we know if the digital version will be available the same day the retail version comes out? Or will they wait til next Thursday to release it on the eshop?

ITS ONLY ON AN 82 ON METACRITIC! THATS LIKE LOADS BEHIND HALO 3!
Am'I doing this right gaf?

Anyway Destructoid/Polygon seem like the main ones to wait for now.

If I remember correctly, the original game also had many points in the story where you didn't have a clue where to go.

Sure, it was frustrating, but it left a lasting impression. I think they just wanted to bring that back

ITS ONLY ON AN 82 ON METACRITIC! THATS LIKE LOADS BEHIND HALO 3!
Am'I doing this right gaf?
Yes.

king zell

20121106_234254(600x450).jpg

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Rich (from IGN) is tweeting about this game, seems like he really doesn't like it too much. He does say though that it is a "good" game, just a very frustrating one. He also said if you are strictly 3DS then you should pick it up, but if you are getting a WiiU then you might want to skip it for something else.

This runs at 30fps, I imagine? This game doesn't need 60fps, but it would be nice given that the last two Paper Marios (and, heck, all three Mario & Luigi titles) did.

I can't believe I'm the only one who sees how ridiculous it is to call getting frustrated by a video game a negative. I just...no.

Edit: Wait, there is a reason for this.

He was frustrated because the game had some wonky design choices for how they handled progression, this is just me, but having to leave a level because it won't let you continue to find an item in another level, where you have no idea where that item is and where, is pretty bad.

I feel it breaks the flow too much.

jschreier

I can't believe I'm the only one who sees how ridiculous it is to call getting frustrated by a video game a negative. I just...no.

I think it's important to distinguish between getting frustrated at yourself because of a video game and getting frustrated at a video game because of bad design. Sticker Star has more cases of the latter. Which I certainly think is a negative.

Top Bottom