• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Papers, Please |OT| Glory to Arstotzka!

ibyWjlJPqlZ6BA.gif

LOL

Game is far too easy right now, because not paying rent has zero consequences. I was able to let the sob stories through and accept numerous penalties while keeping everyone warm, fed, and healthy. :)

But this game has a lot of potential. It is really enjoyable.

Also is this also a problem that will be fixed:
Prostitute asks you not let in some pimp because he will try to take her passport and make her a sex slave. If you deny the pimp entry prostitutes die. If you allow him entry prostitutes die. Is there any way for the pimp to be jailed?

How many people are you guys getting through in a day? I average 7-8 people per day, though I managed to hit 11-12 on rare occasions.

Game is far too easy right now, because not paying rent has zero consequences. I was able to let the sob stories through and accept numerous penalties while keeping everyone warm, fed, and healthy. :)

Prostitute asks you not let in some pimp because he will try to take her passport and make her a sex slave. If you deny the pimp entry prostitutes die. If you allow him entry prostitutes die. Is there any way for the pimp to be jailed?

How many people are you guys getting through in a day? I average 7-8 people per day, though I managed to hit 11-12 on rare occasions.

A friend did this and told me, you can use the prostitute's note as something to check, against identity.

Really fun game. I've played it a lot and have gotten proficient. I started noticing lots of interesting things. On my most recent run I felt the most accomplished when I noticed a weight discrepancy that led to a search where I discovered a hidden knife.

Yes, compare the note the lady gives you with the name on his passport and he'll be detained.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I ran into a bug where a guy didn't present his papers and just stood there... had to restart the game.

It's a neat little idea though.

I ran into a bug where a guy didn't present his papers and just stood there... had to restart the game.

It's a neat little idea though.

Hmm.. How do people still not get that it's not a bug? I'm sure the developer has solved a way to make people realize what they can do.

A fabulous little game. Can't wait to see what the future holds. My 7 year old was playing with me and letting me know when the photos didn't match. He was having a blast.

Haunted

The second page of the bulletin gives explicit instructions but I think the problem is that many people miss that there's even a second (and third, and sometimes fourth) page there with extra information. I'll make this more clear in the final release.
Hmm.. How do people still not get that it's not a bug? I'm sure the developer has solved a way to make people realize what they can do.
I'm fairly certain that it doesn't occur to players that the empty counter/desk is a valid hotspot to click on to point out a discrepancy. Not sure how you would communicate that to the player subtly, only specifically pointing it out in a "missing documents" section or something.

Do visitors ever have discriptencies with their dialogue and their visit permit thing? I'm pretty sure the instructions said that, but I've never encountered it.

Are all the npcs and their paperwork randomized?
They do, I've had someone come with a work permit but he said he would only visit (or something). Bit puzzling as I didn't see a reason why he would lie. Probably an honest mistake!
Looks like someone didn't read their forged papers thoroughly.

There are some scripted instances, but the vast majority of NPCs and their paperwork is randomised.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm fairly certain that it doesn't occur to players that the empty counter/desk is a valid hotspot to click on to point out a discrepancy. Not sure how you would communicate that to the player subtly, only specifically pointing it out in a "missing documents" section or something.

In my case, I thought there would be an option to interrogate the person, but I had no idea what to do to get it to come up. Up until then, it never really occurred to me that not having any papers would be a valid gameplay state anyway.

dukope

Neo Member
Yes, compare the note the lady gives you with the name on his passport and he'll be detained.

You can also give him the note for some extra dialog and a detain button.

I'm fairly certain that it doesn't occur to players that the empty counter/desk is a valid hotspot to click on to point out a discrepancy.

For people who had trouble with this, did you know that the bulletin has multiple pages? I definitely need to make this more clear since many (many) players have gotten stuck here. I thought the "1/3" and turned page corner would be enough, but it's not.

The "missing docs" thing is introduced on this day and it even comes up before the "no docs" guy. Someone is missing their entry ticket; if you point out the discrepancy, they'll produce the ticket.

For anyone who didn't have trouble with this, how did you figure it out?

This is the second bulletin page on that day:
gTekvzb.png

Game is far too easy right now, because not paying rent has zero consequences.

That's a bug, the rent is supposed to be mandatory. Pretend you can't click it for now :)

dukope

Neo Member
I'm trying to help reach a gender balance, but name submission isn't working for me. :( Anyways, as an immigrant myself who has had problems with immigration services, this is an amazing premise and even more surprising, great execution. Thank you. :)

You're welcome, and thanks for the broken submission heads up. I think it's fixed now. Try again when you get the chance.

So... if a terrorist blows himself up, it's because I let him through? Or is it part of the game?

Terrorists fucking suck.

The old dude who keeps coming back is awesome.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
hmm what two things do i need to connect when someone gives me a passport from one country and the city it's issued from is in another country?

edit: ah, the 'passport iss field must be valid'

JesseZao

Is there any benefit to analyzing errors vs. just outright denying and moving on to minimize your time/person?

Sometimes people will cough up missing documents, but outright errors don't seem to be rewarded by checking it or asking them about it. They will just say it's wrong or that they are male and you just deny it anyway
I know you have the scanner later, but they just lie and it doesn't affect your denial.
If there was a bonus for doing a thorough investigation or getting somebody detained, I'd actually do it.
I do think there is a difference between detaining and denial in some cases like with the pimp, but I'm not sure it matters in all cases

Regardless, I love the game and am looking forward to the new challenges and storylines :)

About the lack of female names, I'll have to change my submission to the female version then.

hmm what two things do i need to connect when someone gives me a passport from one country and the city it's issued from is in another country?

Highlighting the issuing city on the passport and the pertinent list of issuing cities in the rule book works too. This is my least favourite part of the game though, either make the regional map more easily accessible or reduce the number of cities.

Has anyone come across a down side to simply detaining everybody with any irregularities in their documents?

sangreal

you can also just connect the city list to the field on the passport

e:beaten

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
This game is amazing, I was laughing at first when I saw the op, then downloaded and played it...not ten minutes later I was cursing because I got written up. "Bullshit!" then I kept playing =O

Reminds me of Carmen San Diego and that type of investigative game, I love it!

This game is so awesome. I'm going to use it to show all my friends one by one and see how they like it.

If they don't like it, they can't be my friend anymore. jaja If they play the game differently that I do (in a moral sense) that it totally okay though.

But people need to play this game no matter what kind of gamer they are, it's not completely new mechanics with 'find the difference' but the moral rock and hardplace that it puts you in is absolutely ingenious.

-That said, I love it, hope you get on Steam and I will pay good money for your game, be proud of yourself, developer bro.

This game is amazing, I was laughing at first when I saw the op, then downloaded and played it...not ten minutes later I was cursing because I got written up. "Bullshit!" then I kept playing =O

Reminds me of Carmen San Diego and that type of investigative game, I love it!

Hilariously I was shocked to get a citation because the height did not match the person and then it hit me that there was a height chart behind the person at all. :lol

fucking fuck my whole family is dead. I must live in a virus invested hell.

though by reading the last few posts, it looks like I didn't realize you could unselect some of the items to buy medicine and other things.

oh well, I may try this again tomorrow. though I feel like doing just one document on day 1 and 2 might feel like easy mode after dealing with all the nonsense that comes later.

cool game

Papers, Please was mentioned in Slate's review for Bioshock Infinite, haha.

Infinite uses philosophy as a set dressing, but it's unwilling to abandon fun-centric gunplay in favor of deeper philosophic engagement. There are a number of games that merge the mechanics of gunplay with the moral gray zones of violent conflict. Wolfire’s Receiver is a first-person exploration game where players wrestle with overwhelmingly complicated gun mechanics that require one to toggle the safety, manually load bullets into a revolver’s chamber, then empty the casings after firing. The added detail slows the pace of the game dramatically, but this complements the mysterious atmosphere in a way that could have been extraordinarily powerful in a setting like Infinite’s. Cart Life, which was just awarded the Grand Prize at the Independent Games Festival, is another painstakingly detailed account of the grueling life choices faced by the working poor, asking players to micromanage a food cart operator’s daily economy, from buying subway fare to setting kebab prices, and debating whether to splurge on a cigarette at the end of the day. Papers, Please puts players in the position of a border-control agent evaluating visas and passports of an array of different immigrants, from potential criminals to war refugees with obviously forged documents, and asks them to balance the morality of risking their own livelihood to help someone who might need it.

sohois

Just played this today, after downloading it like a week ago and forgetting all about it.

It was good, a great idea that was well executed though it's obvious that it needs a lot more content before it gets a full release. Cartlife was my game of the year last year and it would be nice if this game could reach the same heights.

fleck0

Yes - Favorite - Follow

I don't know if doing all 3 have more of an effect but it can't hurt. I love the replayability potential.

Found out about this after browsing Greenlight yesterday. Have been playing it on and off. Very cool & unique game. Looking forward to the full release.

Discovered earlier today. Really enjoyed the time I've had with it so far, minor bugs aside (which will doubtless be ironed out). Great dystopian vibe with the minimal graphics and oppressive context. It's ripe for an iOS/Android version as well - I can easily imagine swiftly flicking documents around via a touch screen.

+1 Greenlight right here.

JesseZao

Just going to ask again since it was missed: Is there any reason to detain/interrogate obvious errors? For time sake it would seem ideal to just deny and move on. (Small exception: In the case where they didn't provide all of the documents they needed, some will cough them up if you ask)

Just going to ask again since it was missed: Is there any reason to detain/interrogate obvious errors? For time sake it would seem ideal to just deny and move on. (Small exception: In the case where they didn't provide all of the documents they needed, some will cough them up if you ask)

Thats the point, you don't have to if you don't want to, but you might get hit with a mistake if they had it but you didn't ask for it... it's risk/reward I guess...

Bear

I enjoyed the beta, just voted for it on Greenlight.

Looking forward to the final version of this, hopefully the full game can expand on the setting and storytelling well enough.

khaaan

If the story is expanded and the game becomes less broken then I'd be down for this. Currently though, the money you make by rejecting everyone instantly outweighs the penalties you receive and still leave plenty for rent and such.

Top Bottom