• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Grand Strategy - Thread of Fighting WW2 as Bithynia

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
If we all act quickly we could probably get someone in this thread a trip to Sweden.

Or you can use my referral link if you want to help probably the least deserving person in here.

If I get 10 and someone is lacking EU3 (doubtful) I'll give it to them since I already have it.

How so?

I live in Norway btw, pretty close to Sweden, and definitely least deserving :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I am referring to my amazing lack of investment in actually playing these games despite owning several, enjoying reading about how to play them, watching people play them on youtube, reading posts from you guys, keeping up with new releases and updates, etc. You might say... *puts on sunglasses* ...it's a paradox.

Dice

You gotta hustle, baybeh. Think of people you know who would be down.

Dice

You don't know anyone who likes strategy games? Or at least gamer friends who have an email for spam? Just be like "hey man, help me get nerd stuff for this nerd game I want"

zoku88

You don't know anyone who likes strategy games? Or at least gamer friends who have an email for spam? Just be like "hey man, help me get nerd stuff for this nerd game I want"

As sad as it sounds, I'm pretty much in this scenario :(

DrSlek

Just got Heart of Darkness on the weekend. It adds a shitload more depth to Vicky 2.
Decided to start playing a game as Saxony, but quickly found I had no place to expand to. I became a secondary power quickly, but every country around me was allied with their Prussia or Austria, who would both crush me if I decided to aggressively expand.
Being landlocked, I could also not send out naval vessels to collonise Africa.

Also started checking out The Republic expansion for Crusader Kings 2. I love it. It really adds a different way to play. Took me a while to pick up though. For a few hours I had no clue why I only had 1 trade port, while everyone else had 4. I also didn't know I could expand my mansion and personal wealth until about 4 hours into the game.
One of the most entertaining parts was getting into a feud with another Venetian House. Every 10 years or so a message would pop up about the next stage in our feud, which started in my not being invited to a ball being held by the other family. Next I put on an even bigger ball and didn't invite the other family. Then I tried to sabotage one of their ships....unsuccessfully. Finally our family flagships had a run in as we were both leaving the Venetian harbour. After both our ships were destroyed by fighting, we were the only survivors and wound up being picked up by slavers. The head of the other household shared his water with me when I collapsed.
When the chance to escape came, I had the option of letting the head of the other house die by leaving him while I escaped. Normally I wouldn't have left him, but he was the expected successor to the position of Serene Doge of Venice.

So long, sucker! Now my son with terrible stats is the next in line for the position.

Made a thread that didn't get any love

Here's the gist
Started watching House of Cards(USA) and playing Crusader Kings II.
"It's a fantastic show in my opinion, Kevin Spacey is greatness. Even when he's advertising the PSVita. Coincidentally, I have started playing Crusader Kings II. I'd love to see a character focused grand strategy game in the modern era. Is there anything like that, yet? I've dabbled in Hearts Of Iron III. "

ZZMitch

Made a thread that didn't get any love

Here's the gist
Started watching House of Cards(USA) and playing Crusader Kings II.
"It's a fantastic show in my opinion, Kevin Spacey is greatness. Even when he's advertising the PSVita. Coincidentally, I have started playing Crusader Kings II. I'd love to see a character focused grand strategy game in the modern era. Is there anything like that, yet? I've dabbled in Hearts Of Iron III. "

East vs West is coming soon, dunno how character based it will be though.

DrSlek

Goddamn annoying. As Serene Doge of Venice, my game kept crashing for no reason. It took a couple of days to figure it out, but it turns out that the death of one of my imprisoned vassals triggered a crash to desktop. There was no way to avoid it either.

So I've restarted as a Byzantine count, spreading my seed all over Europe. My house now controls most of Ireland, and several other Byzantine counties.

ZZMitch

Well now that we have seen all the new consoles for next gen I can officially say I will be going PC only from now on! I can thank Paradox for saving me a bunch of money since a significant portion of my gaming time goes to their titles at this point.

Son1x

Two more days until The Old Gods releases! Anyone else really excited? I do hope pagans other than Norse/Zoroastrian have more than just a few events though. They didn't show anything at all in the DD's.

Who do you plan to play as first? I haven't decided yet, but I'll surely spend quite some time at the Select a character screen.

Clevinger

Two more days until The Old Gods releases! Anyone else really excited? I do hope pagans other than Norse/Zoroastrian have more than just a few events though. They didn't show anything at all in the DD's.

Who do you plan to play as first? I haven't decided yet, but I'll surely spend quite some time at the Select a character screen.

Yeah, I can't wait. A lot of the new stuff sounds great, like the adventurer thing and the new rebel system.

I'm either gonna be Bjorn Ironside (or whichever the playable son of Ragnar is - Ivar?) or take a crack at the Kingdom of Asturias.

Rapstah

Old Gods is out and is pretty much what it said on the box. Can't comment on if it was worth the €15 before I've played 40 more hours of it, but it feels pretty solid.

Christianity is already divided in two in the game, which I guess might actually be correct if they want specifically Orthodox Christianity to be able to spread into the Balkans and Russia, but it's probably not the right term for it? The expansion may not be deep enough for them to have been able to take that into account.

Religion now gives you abilities as a character which is pretty cool. Norse pagans get to conquer all sea-connected territories without reason. The Norse abilities feel pretty "game"-y, so to speak, but the rest of the religions have pretty though through ones like being able to get a divorce from the Pope as a Catholic and have several wives as a Muslim. These were already things in the game but a list of it is not presented to you if you hover over the religion icon in someone's character page.

Haven't really grasped raids and loot yet. Apparently a condition is that you're in friendly lands?

Son1x

I only played for like 20 mins today. My bro was streaming a tournament after and I had to go to hospital later. Hopefuly I'll be able to play more tomorrow.

It was pretty interesting from what I've played. Started as Duke of Sorbs but kinda got killed by the Norse after conquering a coastal province.

Walshicus

Old Gods is out and is pretty much what it said on the box. Can't comment on if it was worth the €15 before I've played 40 more hours of it, but it feels pretty solid.

Christianity is already divided in two in the game, which I guess might actually be correct if they want specifically Orthodox Christianity to be able to spread into the Balkans and Russia, but it's probably not the right term for it? The expansion may not be deep enough for them to have been able to take that into account.

Religion now gives you abilities as a character which is pretty cool. Norse pagans get to conquer all sea-connected territories without reason. The Norse abilities feel pretty "game"-y, so to speak, but the rest of the religions have pretty though through ones like being able to get a divorce from the Pope as a Catholic and have several wives as a Muslim. These were already things in the game but a list of it is not presented to you if you hover over the religion icon in someone's character page.

Haven't really grasped raids and loot yet. Apparently a condition is that you're in friendly lands?

As ever, I'm waiting to see how this affects the Game of Thrones mod. Republic allowed them to expand the game to include Essos' Free Cities. I expect Old Gods allows them to model the Dothraki a bit better.

Somebody needs to mod CK2 for Harn like the Game of Thrones treatment. That island is so detailed through supplements that all of the information that you'd *ever* need is already known.

Volodja

Oh man, I didn't follow the news about the new CK expansion much but I like the new Technology system, the interface for it is much better and the system seems more engaging as well.

Son1x

I serioously think the Norse are OP. After forming Kingdom of Pommeria, I lost everything in a single war against King of Norway along with his ally King of Sweden. Rurikovich never changed religion too and even united the crown with Sweden so it was Kingdom of Sweden/Russia.

Rapstah

I serioously think the Norse are OP. After forming Kingdom of Pommeria, I lost everything in a single war against King of Norway along with his ally King of Sweden. Rurikovich never changed religion too and even united the crown with Sweden so it was Kingdom of Sweden/Russia.

Realistically, Denmark and Sweden seem to form way too early. They're fully formed enormous monster kingdoms by 880 while the rest of Europe is figuring out if Germany should be a thousand nations or one. They're free to expand east and are culturally forced to constantly be at war with what ends up being mostly unorganised pagans.

The AI should probably be made to declare war at close cultural neighbours instead to somehow balance out so that nations stabilise around 1000. I can't figure out any in-game mechanics that would promote Norse in-fighting.

Son1x

What are people's opinions on Victoria 2? It's the only Paradox GS series that I have to experience.

I tried it but I'm a EU3/CK2 noob so I was totaly lost in it :(

I'll get back to it once, but The Old Gods DLC juts got out for CK2. That + StarCraft II takes all my playtime.

DrSlek

Bought Old Gods last night. Trying to form the Duchy of Prussia before death, as I don't have an alternative to gavelkind succession yet. On death, gotta start over.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm buying the Old Gods for CK2 right now, will give it a spin after finishing The Witcher 2.

I wasn't paying it much attention, but the bullet points sound amazing. How interesting do you feel is the new starting date?

What are people's opinions on Victoria 2? It's the only Paradox GS series that I have to experience.

It's awesome, but unlike the other games it's not so much a game on conquest of massive tracts of land as it is a game about being the top dog of the world in a more well-rounded manner.

Well worth getting into.

Rapstah

I'm buying the Old Gods for CK2 right now, will give it a spin after finishing The Witcher 2.

I wasn't paying it much attention, but the bullet points sound amazing. How interesting do you feel is the new starting date?
It's absolutely crucial for Baltic and Norse paganism, obviously. England is also way more interesting in the 800s than in a standard game. I haven't played as one of the central European superpowers yet but they seem to balance out pretty OK. Byzantine and the various Muslim countries seem pretty much the same.

Fitz

I've only recently started playing/learning it, having mostly played EUIII, but so far I'm enjoying it a lot. I wouldn't say it's especially complicated, but coming from EUIII there's more that requires your attention, at least if you want to really maximise your nation's potential. Also, whilst you can't blob as easily, I feel like I have more freedom in what I can do militarily due to being able to create justifications for war (a feature they're adding in EUIV I believe).
I also prefer the tech tree, and as of the latest expansion, the combat is fairly decent imo.

Top Bottom