• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PARAMORE |OT| Line up changes, emo angst, and guilty pleasures (oh, and Hayley gifs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

You see, I listened to awkif all the time back in 2006. It's my favourite record out of their first 3 because of all the memories etc, but bne is without doubt their best record objectively.
Well I wouldn't say that. Well I would, but subjectively speaking! It's got the strongest lyrics, I'm not sure how much you could debate that. There are some really clever turns of phrase in that record:

"I settled down,
A twisted up frown,
Disguised as a smile well,"

"This is the best thing that could've happened,
Any longer and I wouldn't have made it,
It's not a war no, it's not a rapture,
I'm just a person but you can't take it,"

"If God's the game that you're playing,
Well we must get more acquainted,
Because it has to be so lonely,
To be the only one who's holy,"

"I've got a tight grip on reality, but I can't,
Let go of what's in front of me here,"

"And all the best lies,
They are told with fingers tied,"

"I could follow you to the beginning,
Just to relive the start,
Maybe then we'd remember to slow down,
At all of our favorite parts,"

That's what is so disappointing about their new sound, they have sounded less and less "pop" as they've gone on, then suddenly they release their most poppy record yet. And the lyrics in particular are sounding rather poor. All feeling of flow and cadence out of the window, in favour of awkward phrasing and jamming syllables where they don't fit.

jono95

Well I wouldn't say that. Well I would, but subjectively speaking! It's got the strongest lyrics, I'm not sure how much you could debate that. There are some really clever turns of phrase in that record:

That's what is so disappointing about their new sound, they have sounded less and less "pop" as they've gone on, then suddenly they release their most poppy record yet. And the lyrics in particular are sounding rather poor. All feeling of flow and cadence out of the window, in favour of awkward phrasing and jamming syllables where they don't fit.

The lyrics are pretty good on bne. Careful has my favourite from any paramore song!

Honestly I would say riot was poppier than the new album. Still Into You is the poppiest song they've done, yeah, but there's some really heavy (for paramore's standards) moments on the new record that balance it out.
And there's also more synth than ever on this album, but I wouldn't necessarily immediately relate synthetic instruments with pop music as a lot of people do.

NinjaBoiX

I think the new producer has a lot to do with the more electro production, what with his previous work with M83 and such. The production is also a lot more airy, with lots of reverb, and a much softer attack and decay to the notes.

In their previous stuff, riffs were very sharp and angular, with very little sustain. The drums similarly were very tight and snappy, often carefully pacing the riffs and vocals to create a very unified, punchy sound.

That's pop punk in a nutshell.

I dunno, for better or for worse, they are a very different band now. I'm excited to hear the album, and will give it a few listens to let it bed in before posting a slavish, track by track review in here. I really want to enjoy it, so I'm trying to be optimistic.

How did you get the album so soon by the way? It isn't out until Thursday in the UK.

Yes I agree that BNE has some of the strongest and most clever lyrics. I should have clarified that it was the badabbaadabababaada's and many melodies that made me label it as childish. It's hard to describe but the sound of that album is just too crispy and polished. The thing I loved so much in AWKIF is that "garage" feel.

NinjaBoiX

Yes I agree that BNE has some of the strongest and most clever lyrics. I should have clarified that it was the badabbaadabababaada's and many melodies that made me label it as childish. It's hard to describe but the sound of that album is just too crispy and polished. The thing I loved so much in AWKIF is that "garage" feel.
I hear that. BNE is quite polished, but I find Riot to be the most over produced record. There were four guys behind the knobs on that one, so that is no surprise. And yeah, AWK is their most raw sounding record in terms of production, I just find the content a little lightweight in the main. It could be said that their later stuff is a bit overwrought and emo, but that's the way I like them.

Also, I'm a sucker for a bit of the old "bada ba bada ba bada"! It's so cheesy, but that comes with the territory.

NinjaBoiX

Gonna listen to it a few more times before I do a full write-up but "Proof" is fucking awesome.
Yeah, I'm interested to hear what people think. I won't be posting impressions until next weekend at the earliest as I'm a luddite, and I'm actually going to go into a record shop and buy the disc.

yVZKDrW.gif

The gif has nothing to do with the post, we just haven't had one on this page yet.

It felt weird.

jono95

Errr, I didn't mean to write a review, I was only gonna write a few sentences on what I thought but it just kept on going haha. Beware, it's kind of spoiler-y and goes into a little bit of detail of some songs.

This album just keeps getting better with every listen (I'm probably up to my sixth). I know I said it was the best they've done but that was half excitement at the fact it leaked; it really is though.
It flows a lot better than I expected it would considering the length. There's probably around 10 minutes that could be cut without really affecting the album as a whole, though.

There's a few songs that could have been on riot/bne without sounding too out of place like Part II , Proof and Be Alone. These are good but my favourites are where they tried a new sound, like, well, basically every other song.
I thought the ukulele interludes were a bit unnecessary at first but I've come to really like them, and they aren't too long anyway.
I was worried about the poppy direction they were heading after hearing Still Into You but they got pop really right with Ain't It Fun. It's like an awesome 80's funk song, and Hayley leading the gospel choir in the second half is pretty much the best thing ever. This could be my favourite Paramore song.
Hate To See Your Heart Break is okay, pretty much exactly what I was expecting - this album's The Only Exception. It's better though, thanks to the addition of some nice strings.
Fast In My Car and Now have a similar sort of sound going on, but Fast In My Car is a lot better thanks to a more inviting intro than Now, and a better (imo) and more catchy chorus.
Anklebiters is awesome, and is the closest to a 'punk' song that I think we'll ever get from Paramore.
The biggest disappointment however was Future. It could have been something great, but instead it's just good. The 6 minutes of instrumental was a bit excessive and got a bit boring after a while; if there was a bit of vocals from Hayley towards the end (didn't even have to be lyrical - even just a few belts/screams), it would have greatly improved my enjoyment of the song.

Overall I think I'd give the album an 8.5/10, but it might even bump up to 9 eventually.

Can't wait until my vinyl copy arrives!

NinjaBoiX

Part II has to be my favorite song so far (excluding Now). Absolutely cool.
I've been wandering around the house this morning repeating "you, should, be alone", while slapping my leg in time. Yup, the hooks are setting in.

Goddamn you Hayley with your songwriting witchcraft!

I might just, um, "obtain" it for now so I can hear it. But I'm going to buy it on Thursday. I expect you guys to do so too. Poor Hayley has got to eat you know!

(Yeah, I know, she's loaded. Maybe Taylor and Jeremy could get themselves a sandwich though.)

NinjaBoiX

That new song is terrible.
Which one? Elaborate.

If you mean, "Still Into You", then I'm not sure I agree anymore. It's undoubtedly a pop song, but it's a decent pop song. You've got to judge things on their own merits. It's very different though, so I can understand if it's not your bag.

waypoetic

Banned
Which one? Elaborate.

If you mean, "Still Into You", then I'm not sure I agree anymore. It's undoubtedly a pop song, but it's a decent pop song. You've got to judge things on their own merits. It's very different though, so I can understand if it's not your bag.

It's like an early 90's pop-song. I laughed when i heard it and said out loud "CLEARLY, this is a cover AND a joke... RIGHT?!".

NinjaBoiX

It's like an early 90's pop-song. I laughed when i heard it and said out loud "CLEARLY, this is a cover AND a joke... RIGHT?!".
She's loved up. Two of the punkier influences have left. They now put out pure pop music it appears.

I suppose I'm ok with this, it's not like they were Massive Attack or something, they were always pop. I find I'm liking the new stuff the more I hear it though.

But yeah, it's not a whole lot like their previous work.

Radec

I'm liking these slow tracks so far:

Hate To See Your Heart Break
Grow Up
Moving On (Interlude)
Holiday (Interlude)

Sai-kun

Banned
I've been wandering around the house this morning repeating "you, should, be alone", while slapping my leg in time. Yup, the hooks are setting in.

Goddamn you Hayley with your songwriting witchcraft!

I might just, um, "obtain" it for now so I can hear it. But I'm going to buy it on Thursday. I expect you guys to do so too. Poor Hayley has got to eat you know!

(Yeah, I know, she's loaded. Maybe Taylor and Jeremy could get themselves a sandwich though.)

I'd prefer to get it on vinyl, but I'm a bit out of money at the moment. :/ I also don't know if I'd actually get this album on vinyl yet. Shit's expensive and I'm kinda mixed on it.

These were the tracks that I liked (Starred!) after my first listen:
Now
Daydreaming
Ain't It Fun
Part II
Still Into You
Anklebiters
Proof
Be Alone

Everything else (especially towards the end of the album) was a bit too slow for me, but the ones I liked, I liked a lot (especially Part II, Ain't It Fun, and Be Alone)

And Future? lmao, horrible mess of an instrumental track. Would have been better if it was about 5 minutes shorter, and at the top of the album instead of the bottom.

NinjaBoiX

tumblr_mh10mz2VIZ1r29pjbo7_500.jpg

1.Fast In My Car
7/10

Fairly decent. It sounds like they're channelling the Yeah Yeah Yeahs a little with the chanting on the bridge. Also, Hayley yelping and "huh-huh"ing at the end was very reminiscent of Karen O. The chorus is pretty awful though:

"We're driving fast in my car,
We've got our riot gear on, but we just want to have fun,
No were not looking for violence, oh oh,
Tonight we want to have fun,"

I just find any lyrics about just wanting to have fun sounds really trite. The phrasing is awkward too. But on balance, one of the better tracks.

2.Now
9/10

One of my favourite tracks on the album. I love the squealing riffs and chugging bass lines. The drum fills at the start of the chorus are epic too. It also has some of the strongest lyrics on the album, and the bridge before the last chorus represents everything I love about Hayley's voice. Great track.

3.Grow Up
5/10

Really not feeling this one, again the chorus is pretty lame. It sounds like Hayley thumbing her nose at Josh ONCE AGAIN! Get over it man, it's really getting old. I just find the music to be a bit dull too.

One of the weakest tracks IMO.

4.Daydreaming
7/10

In the scheme of things, I find this to be one of the better tracks. Big epic chorus, joyous and life affirming. It sounds like good old earnest, cheesy, emo Paramore. Again, Hayley's voice excels on this one.

I like it.

5.Movin' On
7/10

I like it, as simple as it is. Sounds like a lot of advert music nowadays, with the ukulele strumming away, but her voice carries it. I little insubstantial, but I nice little ditty.

6.Ain't It Fun
8/10

Sounds like an 80's pop record, in a good way. It has a nice, bouncy rhythm, and an infectious, upbeat melody. I love her inflection on the "what are you gonna do" line. The way she says "do" gets me every time! And the gospel chior at the end was a nice surprise, kind of reminded me of 90's Madonna.

Nice record.

7.Part II
9/10

The most Paramore sounding track on the album, no surprise, being part 2 of LTFB. A lot more restrained than part 1, but keeps the over the top flavour, and big soaring chorus. I like the production too.

One of my favourites.

8.Last Hope
8/10

A nice big soppy ballad. Probably displays some of the strongest songwriting on the record too. The last chorus with the backing vocals is so emo, I love it. Again, epic stuff, typically Paramore.

9.Still Into You
9/10

OK, I'm totally sold on this track now. Yeah, it's probably the poppiest, cheesiest track they've ever put out, but damn if it isn't satisfying! Utterly infectious, and has really nice dynamics. I love the line about meeting his mother, then telling him she loves him on the way home. Lucky bastard!

10.Anklebiters
8/10

A few seconds in, I nearly exploded with excitement. It sounded like it was going to be a really rough and ready punk record. Then it calms into a fairly light punk record. It's pretty decent though, could fit on All We Know quite easily.

11.Holiday
5/10

Meh, just seems superfluous. Pretty bland. I can't really say much else about it. They should've just chose the best "pretty little ukulele ditty" instead of cramming three in there.

12.Proof
7/10

Better than Grow Up, and in a similar vain, but still a little lacklustre. The punky tracks aren't anywhere near as successful as they were on the previous albums. At least the riffs are quite chunky, but it's another weak track lyrically.

13.Hate To See Your Heart Break
6/10

A fairly pleasant country record, but nothing remotely spectacular. Again, another result of "her who sings" being all loved up. The angst and snarl has given way to schmaltz. Not a bad thing, and it's a perfectly good record. It's just not what I came to see.

14.(Not One Of Those) Crazy Girls
7/10

Another schmaltzy ballad, but exhibiting more interesting songwriting, and a nice string section. I quite like it, but for some reason, I can't believe I'm going to say this, I find her voice a little irritating on this one. All the pitch bends and stuff just seem like showboating. I suppose she has the chops to get away with it.

15.I'm Not Angry Anymore
8/10

Probably my favourite of the ukulele tracks, but I still think they should've just left it at one. But yeah, pretty track.

16.Be Alone
9/10

Possibly my favourite track on the album. I really like the pounding drums, and echoing guitar riffs. A really nice big chorus too. Again, it's one of the tracks that sounds most like there old stuff. Great record.

17.Future
4/10

Meh, just seems pointless. It's not even particularly bad, just utterly superfluous. It's the first time I've looked at my watch during a Paramore track, waiting for it to end.

Probably the worst track on the album.

My Verdict

It's definitely their most eclectic record to date, but that's also why it's their least successful. It's not pop punk anymore, it's just pop. Which is fine, but I can't see this record getting a great deal of play from me.

I appreciate that they changed direction, and it's a sound pop record. I'm just not all that into pop. Hayley's lyrics seem to have lost their edge too.

Stand out tracks
Now
Still Into You
Ain't It Fun
Be Alone

Skip It
Grow Up
Holiday
Hate To See Your Heart Break
Future

jono95

That's a pretty fair review.
Surprised that you like Be Alone so much though, I thought that was one of the weaker tracks on the album.
Agree with the Karen O comparison on Fast in my Car; it also reminds me of the Sugarcubes a lot which is why I love it so much.
Also agree on Future. Could've been so great :(

I wonder whether critics are gonna like this album...

edit: I don't know if I'd call it 'just pop' though. Yeah it's pretty poppy in some places but there's also a few 'rock' (for lack of a better word) tracks.

NinjaBoiX

The main aspects that contribute to the pop factor, are all the xylophones and plinky plonky synths in the background, as opposed to muted guitar riffs, a feedback loop, something like that.

Also, the production on the drums makes them sound all filtered and electro, instead of tight and punchy. Again, a product of the slightly more mainstream pop route they seem to be going for.

Also, as I said in the review, the Farro bashing (or what I took as such) started getting a little tiresome. I understand it was a big incident for all involved, and I wouldn't mind her musing on the matter in a mature manner. But on a number of occasions, Grow Up, Fast In My Car, Movin' On, she seemed to be getting quite bratty about the whole thing.

Anyway, I digress, and perhaps I'm reading too much into it. Perhaps she writing about something else entirely, but it seems a bit of a coincidence.

It was an interesting listen, no doubt. But for me, it's a little bloated, inconsistent and saccharine. It should been at least four or five tracks shorter, a little harsher in tone, and with less electronic production.

NinjaBoiX

So Part II is also essentially Let The Flames Begin Part II, no?
Exactly that, yes.

I like the opening lines: "what a shame we all remain, such fragile broken things" as opposed to "what a shame we all became, such fragile broken things".

jono95

Also, as I said in the review, the Farro bashing (or what I took as such) started getting a little tiresome. I understand it was a big incident for all involved, and I wouldn't mind her musing on the matter in a mature manner. But on a number of occasions, Grow Up, Fast In My Car, Movin' On, she seemed to be getting quite bratty about the whole thing.

I agree with this. I thought she got it all out in singles club lol

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
There are a couple of very good songs but overall I'm just not feeling this album at all. I agree with NinjaBoiX that it's pretty much just pop now. The album has kind of an 80s new wave vibes at time and I despise that time period in music. Hated it then, hate it now. The quirky songs are just not interesting enough. It seems like they wanted to experiment but don't have the musical breadth to do so.

I listen to Paramore because I love Hayley's voice and her catchy melodies but I'm not getting a lot of that here. Maybe it'll grow on me, we'll see.

NinjaBoiX

It seems like they wanted to experiment but don't have the musical breadth to do so.

I listen to Paramore because I love Hayley's voice and her catchy melodies but I'm not getting a lot of that here.
Nailed it.

They were great as a light punk band with poppy melodies, but I'm not really feeling this new diversity thing. As StudioTan said, I'm not sure the writing is up to it.

Also, I liked all the teenage angst and bratty snarl of their earlier stuff, it's what that kind of music is all about. I really liked Hayley as the hot sassy firecracker, musing about typical teenage shit. But she seemed to spend a significant portion of this record whining about a certain two previous band members, and it couldn't help but sour the album for me.

I didn't necessarily buy the context of her previous writing, all "heart on the sleeve" teenage angst, letting flames begin and such, but at least it was entertaining in it's excess. Reigned in by their ambition to be taken more seriously, they've lost what made them appealing in the first place, their unashamedly emo punk sound.

I miss Paramore.

tumblr_lilc0saGC01qgjwumo1_500.gif

Peru

Also, I liked all the teenage angst and bratty snarl of their earlier stuff, it's what that kind of music is all about. I really liked Hayley as the hot sassy firecracker, musing about typical teenage shit. But she seemed to spend a significant portion of this record whining about a certain two previous band members, and it couldn't help but sour the album for me.

Eh? BNE was single-mindedly about the conflict within the band. I liked that focus and sharpness a lot, but you can't say that this album is more about it.. it's the opposite, it's freed from that, she's happy and experimenting.

Maybe the interludes and a track or two could be cut frmo this album to tighten it a tad, but after getting used to its twists and turns I have to say the qualities inherent in the band are still there, the wittyness, the bratty melodies, and sometimes it's expanded to take us to new exciting places. Don't know if I'll end up liking it as much as bne but that's not really important.

Btw Graham Norton performance http://youtu.be/3pC_-rhKaO0

NinjaBoiX

Absolute Punk said:
As a full record, Paramore certainly isn't for everyone--but there's certainly something for everyone. If you're not having fun at some point of the album, you're probably not trying.
Perfect.

"Paramore" Metacritic

It's getting better with each listen, but there are still some tracks that I flat out dislike. "Grow Up", "Hate To See Your Heart Break" and "Future" are still poor IMO, and I'm not rally feeling "Be Alone" as much as I thought I was.

With a stronger chorus "Fast In My Car" could be one of their best tracks, I just think the chorus is so weak. I still love "Now", "Ain't It Fun", "Part II", "Still Into You" and "I'm Not Angry Anymore". And goddamn it, "Daydreaming" is just joyous! I love it. "(Not One Of Those) Crazy Girls" is really growing on me too.

Radio 1 Live Lounge - "Still Into You", "Matilda (Alt-J cover)" and "Hate To See Your Heart Break"

Not really a massive fan of Paramore, but I've had this album on constantly for the past few days. Absolutely loving every last minute of it.

pikablu

Just started listening. I'm gonna give it some play in my car later this week on a trip and ill report back with my final opinions.

NinjaBoiX

Just started listening. I'm gonna give it some play in my car later this week on a trip and ill report back with my final opinions.
I'm sounding like a broken record at this point, but the more I hear it, the more I enjoy it. The melodies are really hooking in now, and the more airy production is growing on me.

I still maintain that some of the lyrics are flat out atrocious, and she's usually fairly strong in that regard. There is one lyric in particular about not being able to get into his house, so she uses the key she got cut; it's just so awkward, the phrasing is really clumsy.

Having said that, I just bought the CD today (hard copies for life), and it sounded great in the car. That's where I usually shamelessly rock out to them anyway, out of earshot of my muso mates. The intro to Ain't It Fun just bursts out of the speakers.

Enjoy man, it's a great record, just quite different from their old stuff. Some weak lyrics and slightly filler tracks aside, I actually really like it.

*holds hands up*

And, just because it's the bottom of the page...
tumblr_mhqghgMNCb1r771pbo1_500.gif

jwk94

Fueled By Ramen just sent me a code to download my digital copy. Check your emails. has anybody gotten to to the two bonus tracks on rdio yet?

EDIT:

Ok, I'm currently listening to Escape Route. The quality sounds kind of low but this song is amazing. It sounds more like their past music. Will this get a disk or digital release?

Yeah, the new album is bad.

Just because a band suddenly branches out and makes every type and genre of song they've ever liked, doesn't make them a better band. If anything it shows a lack of cohesion and focus. And for an album, this is a crime. The worst thing it can be is meandering, without a single idea to hold it together.

These experimentations into different genres are always going to come in second best against the best of the genre. Take Linkin Park for example. With their first two albums there was no mistaking their sound. You knew what Linkin Park sounded like, and there was no other band that sounded quite like them. Then they came out with Minutes to Midnight, they lost what made them special and started to sound like every other rock band. Why would I listen to a 90s-style pop-funk song when there are dozens of bands that do it better? Why would I listen to a song that sounds like No Doubt when we already have that band?

This album reminds me of Blink-182's Neighborhoods, and while both have different contexts around them (Blink's reunion, Paramore's first post-Farro album), they both have the same awkward, "Okay, what do we do now?" feeling throughout.

As a huge fan of Paramore who has seen them live the two times they came to New Zealand, I'm really disappointed by this album.

Also, the lyrics have taken a nosedive.

But the absolute worst thing about this album, is that there are no hooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom