• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PARAMORE |OT| Line up changes, emo angst, and guilty pleasures (oh, and Hayley gifs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jono95

EDIT:

Ok, I'm currently listening to Escape Route. The quality sounds kind of low but this song is amazing. It sounds more like their past music. Will this get a disk or digital release?

FBR have always provided really shitty quality downloads when it comes to Paramore.
It's coming out on 7" but no CD or digital release.

Their new single "Still into you" sounds like a Buffalo Tom tune, and its bugging me trying to work out which song of theirs its like.

/digs out Buffalo Tom CDs

NinjaBoiX

So I just had the entire album booming out of my hifi while I did the housework/danced around like a tit.

I love this record! It's really only "Hate To See Your Heart Break" that sticks out as bland and superfluous, "Last Hope" does a similar thing so much better, and pretty much renders it filler. Also, there are some poor choruses IMO, FIMC and Grow Up spring to mind, but some of the spacey, electro outros are fantastic, Grow Up in particular. Even the weaker tracks have brilliant moments.

But apart from that, and the odd awkward line of lyrics, it's rather marvellous.

I'll probably do another quick review after its had a few weeks to really bed in. I'd only heard it like twice before I posted my original opinions.

Also, new page requires a few gifs right?

wRyMtSt.gif

n4f88.gif

tumblr_lmjw4u6aZR1qfz010o1_500.gif

4H8ern5.gif

Andrew.

Banned
So far so good. Why isn't Monster on here though? I figured it would be. Great song.

Aint It Fun is my fav so far. The late 80s/ early 90s vibe is on fucking point.

Christ this album bleeds 93-97. Not a complaint from me. Last Hope has sounds reminiscent of a good Cranberries or Sundays b-side

Davey Cakes

I have never listened to a Paramore album before. I heard the new one is their best so I decided to give it a shot.

To be completely honest, it bored me. It's competent, inoffensive rock music with poppy choruses, and not much more. Very few surprises on the album and no songs that really catch you off guard. It's also way too long and really blends together; this isn't alleviated by the occasional forgettable ukulele interlude, either.

Not trying to sound hard on the band. They write their own stuff and still produce competent radio-tailored music. It's just...not interesting and doesn't really beckon further listening, in my opinion.

"Hate to See Your Heart Break" was alright to me, because it didn't sound like everything else before it. A more laid back track, which is what the album really needed at that point. If that sounds bland to someone, I can understand, but my definition of bland is basically the entire rest of the album. Just because music has energy doesn't mean it's compelling.

I'm just shocked that this is garnering CRITICAL ACCLAIM. It's not bad at all, but "unremarkable" describes it very well. The biggest praise I can give it is...that I gave it a full chance and wasn't forced to turn it off even considering the 63-minute run time. It was, let's say, good enough to give a fair shake.

The main aspects that contribute to the pop factor, are all the xylophones and plinky plonky synths in the background, as opposed to muted guitar riffs, a feedback loop, something like that.
Maybe it's just because I'm not versed in Paramore, but whenever Hailey busts into a chorus it sounds like she's pitching for radio play. That's what makes it sound like pop to me the most.

Never mind the lyrics.

I'd say it's more catchy of an album, but not necessarily better.
It's catchy in a way that hurts it. Trying too hard, in my opinion. It's weird that music actually written by the band members themselves can lack earnestness.

If you asked a machine to create easy rock music for un-tuned radio-listening ears, with a serving of easy pop song structure and choruses, it would spit out this album. This isn't a bash necessarily, but it's why I consider the album boring and uninteresting, as well as overly long and redundant.

NinjaBoiX

If you asked a machine to create easy rock music for un-tuned radio-listening ears, with a serving of easy pop song structure and choruses, it would spit out this album. This isn't a bash necessarily, but it's why I consider the album boring and uninteresting, as well as overly long and redundant.
ceI6Xkf.gif

I thought you had some reasoned points up until here. Could you possibly sound more condescending? If you don't like it, cool, it is super saccharine pop, but don't imply those that do are somehow tone deaf simpletons.

Also, the last sentence, "I'm not saying it's shit, but it's shit."

jono95

To be completely honest, it bored me. It's competent, inoffensive rock music with poppy choruses, and not much more. Very few surprises on the album and no songs that really catch you off guard. It's also way too long and really blends together; this isn't alleviated by the occasional forgettable ukulele interlude, either.

I think you're the only person who has said something like that about this album. Most critiques stem from the fact that it doesn't blend well enough.
I mean if Ain't It Fun -> Part II -> Last Hope -> Still Into You alone doesn't provide enough diversity I don't know what you were expecting from a pop/rock record. If they experimented more than they did it probably would have sounded like a disjointed mess imo.

Davey Cakes

I thought you had some reasoned points up until here. Could you possibly sound more condescending? If you don't like it, cool, it is super saccharine pop, but don't imply those that do are somehow tone deaf simpletons.

Also, the last sentence, "I'm not saying it's shit, but it's shit."
You're the big fan here, and you started the thread, so I'm not expecting you to like what I have to say. I know sometimes I push it.

I don't mean to be condescending. It's not a matter of simpletons; some people just have ears tuned to radio-friendly rock, which is what I consider Paramore to be based off of this album and hearing them previously in different contexts. It's made for a certain audience and obviously so, but this isn't a bad thing. Music has many purposes and comes in many forms.

And the album isn't shit at all. It's competent, but boring to me. I could still easily listen to it over a lot of other music out there. My favorite kind of music is rock (even though the genre is extremely broad at this point, going into alternative, punk, art rock, riot grrl, general indie, etc.) so I still have some ear for it even in this form.

If it was truly shit I probably wouldn't even be posting about it. Again, I put in the 63 minutes all the way and listened with the intention of being critical (whether positive, negative, or both). There are some acts (indies included) that I turned off after a couple of songs or deleted off of my iPod quickly; Paramore was listenable beyond that, for certain.

It's interesting that it's taken me this long to give any Paramore album a full listen; I've just been overwhelmed by my musical explorations for a while now. Anyway, my first exposure to them was with whatever song was in Rock Band (the game). I forget what it's called but I certainly enjoyed playing it. From the get-go I got "guilty pleasure" vibes from their sound, though.

I think you're the only person who has said something like that about this album. Most critiques stem from the fact that it doesn't blend well enough.
I mean if Ain't It Fun -> Part II -> Last Hope -> Still Into You alone doesn't provide enough diversity I don't know what you were expecting from a pop/rock record. If they experimented more than they did it probably would have sounded like a disjointed mess imo.
It blends too well, IMO. But hey, subjectivity! A disjointed mess isn't any better, of course. The point is, you can have diversity and coherence at the same time. Songs can sound way different but still make sense in a collection. I think in the end this album would have benefited from being edited down to 10-12 songs. I got the point of it way before the final stretch and felt like it dragged.

jono95

It blends too well, IMO. But hey, subjectivity! A disjointed mess isn't any better, of course. The point is, you can have diversity and coherence at the same time. Songs can sound way different but still make sense in a collection. I think in the end this album would have benefited from being edited down to 10-12 songs. I got the point of it way before the final stretch and felt like it dragged.

Well I can't say an opinion is wrong, but it's definitely an interesting one :p
And yeah I know, and agree. A good example being Janelle Monae's Archandroid. So many genres covered but it's still somehow so cohesive.

BJK

I have zero objectivity where this band is concerned. Love the new album.

...granted, I could listen to Hayley sing stereo instructions and it would still be my album of the year.

There are some bands where a change in sound strikes a tone of disappointment. This album feels like growth, like the same band I know tried everything they could think of, and kept the parts that worked for them.
- ukelele? Check.
- Write a sequel to a deep cut from another album? Why not?
- Church choir? F-Yes! ...and put a funky baseline with it!

"Ain't it Fun" is the early highlight. That being said, "Now" has grown on me considerably from the first listen, and it feels like it fits in with this album.

NinjaBoiX

Hey NinjaBoiX, do you have Brand New Eyes off of HDtracks? Just found out about it and I'm interested how it sounds.
I wouldn't know, I buy my music on these little round plastic discs. Conditional ownership of DD makes me uncomfortable, I want to know I can reach for a record in 10 years time and play it no problem.
You're the big fan here, and you started the thread, so I'm not expecting you to like what I have to say.
It has literally nothing to do with your criticism of the music. Plenty of people have posted something similar, but in a constructive manner, as did you for the most part. But it was the "untuned" remark that I found thoroughly insulting.

"You see, to my trained, highly sophisticated ears..."

It made you come across as a douchebag, but I'm sure that wasn't the intention.

Hell, you could've said those that didn't like it are tone deaf and I'd have said the same thing!
It's interesting that it's taken me this long to give any Paramore album a full listen; I've just been overwhelmed by my musical explorations for a while now. Anyway, my first exposure to them was with whatever song was in Rock Band (the game). I forget what it's called but I certainly enjoyed playing it. From the get-go I got "guilty pleasure" vibes from their sound, though.
That would be "Misery Business" which is basically their anthem, and yes, guilty pleasure sums them up for me too. I know everyone says this, but I've honestly got a pretty cool taste in music! From Aretha Franklin, Radiohead, The Black Keys, Otis Redding, Fugazi, Massive Attack, Pixies, MF Doom, DJ Shadow, Faraquet, Wilco, Django Rienhardt, PJ Harvey, The Roots, etc, etc, etc. Paramore are definitely the "worst" band I'm into in terms of cool points though.

*shrugs*

But if you want to try some of there more punky rock stuff, can I recommend you a couple of tracks:
Pressure
Decoy (try and find the Final Riot version of these two, so much better live)
Conspiracy
Hallelujah
Let The Flames Begin (if you only feel like checking out one or two, make it this one...)
Born For This
Careful (...and this one)
Brick By Boring Brick
Feeling Sorry

They could have done without the ukulele.
Yeah, it sounded a little insubstantial at first, but I actually love the ukulele interludes after numerous listens. I think it's so in vogue for adverts to have the old ukulele ditty playing, that I initially kind of rolled my eyes, but I actually really enjoy those little tracks, especially "Not Angry Anymore".

G-Fex

I listened to about half the tracks on iTunes and I didn't like what I heard sorry ninja

They may have to grow on me

NinjaBoiX

I listened to about half the tracks on iTunes and I didn't like what I heard sorry ninja

They may have to grow on me
Funnily enough, even though the new album is poppier than ever before, I found it wasn't as immediate as their earlier stuff.

But yeah, they definitely aren't for everyone, and I can totally see why people would scoff at their shameless emoting and pop sensibilities.

Just don't diss Hayley, or I'll delete you from my fwend list. You've been warned Fex.

G-Fex

I'll have to have full listening of the tracks. Til then ill have to stick with Ariel and IFH

Sorry Hayley!

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, Part II has definitely overtaken Now as my favorite track on the album. It's a masterpiece. *_*
I fucking love it! Also, Daydreaming, Last Hope, Anklebiters, Proof, I'm Not Angry Anymore and Be Alone.

Sai, I truly stand corrected. It's a magnificent record, as long as you don't expect another Riot!. It's already run through twice in the work van today, I can't get enough!

That last chorus on Daydreaming, with the drum fill then dead stop before Hayley's vocal, just perfect.

Sai-kun

Banned
I fucking love it! Also, Daydreaming, Last Hope, Anklebiters, Proof, I'm Not Angry Anymore and Be Alone.

Sai, I truly stand corrected. It's a magnificent record, as long as you don't expect another Riot!. It's already run through twice in the work van today, I can't get enough!

That last chorus on Daydreaming, with the drum fill then dead stop before Hayley's vocal, just perfect.

I'm super excited to hear some of these live. I know Ain't It Fun is gonna be rad, and I'm sure Fast In My Car and Proof will be awesome too.

If their setlist doesn't have them playing Part II immediately after Let the Flames Begin, I'm not sure what I'll do, haha.

Also, Native Tongue and Escape Route are awesome.

NinjaBoiX

Does anyone else love Future? Song gives me the chills.
I actually really love the opening after a few more listens. It's really delicate and reflective. But the droning at the end, eh, it's OK. I suppose it's not too bad, as it's at least the end of the album.

Also Sai, where are all these extra tracks coming from? Escape Route, Native Tongue, Renegade, etc? The Singles Club?

I actually really love the opening after a few more listens. It's really delicate and reflective. But the droning at the end, eh, it's OK. I suppose it's not too bad, as it's at least the end of the album.

Also Sai, where are all these extra tracks coming from? Escape Route, Native Tongue, Renegade, etc? The Singles Club?
"Native Tongue" and "Escape Route" were bonus tracks for the Japanese release. Also they are streaming exclusively on Rdio, need an account.

NinjaBoiX

"Native Tongue" and "Escape Route" were bonus tracks for the Japanese release. Also they are streaming exclusively on Rdio.
lDY41mG.gif

So it appears I'm buying it twice. I still need to pick up the b-sides collection too.

I want to drown in Paramore at the minute, the new album has really reignited my fandom. That record just makes me grin from ear to ear!

Sai-kun

Banned

Like Femme said, Escape Route/Native Tongue are bonus tracks, and Renegade was the second track off the Singles Club EP (Which also featured Monster, Hello Cold World, and In The Mourning).

I kind of wanted to hear this album, but it's not on Spotify. Didn't want to pay 10.99 on iTunes or 10.49 on Amazon MP3 but then I see this:

uhWMdhH.jpg

So, for $7.99 I just got the album on my Amazon player, downloaded it and now it's in my iTunes. Listening to it now. And since I have Amazon Prime, they're shipping me the physical CD (which I don't even want) via 2-day shipping.

How do they make money off this?

xJavonta

Banned
I kind of wanted to hear this album, but it's not on Spotify. Didn't want to pay 10.99 on iTunes or 10.49 on Amazon MP3 but then I see this:

uhWMdhH.jpg

So, for $7.99 I just got the album on my Amazon player, downloaded it and now it's in my iTunes. Listening to it now. And since I have Amazon Prime, they're shipping me the physical CD (which I don't even want) via 2-day shipping.

How do they make money off this?

This was announced a few weeks ago, I believe. Best way to buy.

lDY41mG.gif

So it appears I'm buying it twice. I still need to pick up the b-sides collection too.

I want to drown in Paramore at the minute, the new album has really reignited my fandom. That record just makes me grin from ear to ear!

Is this B-Sides collection an official release? Or is it the bootleg you're talking about?

NinjaBoiX

Is this B-Sides collection an official release? Or is it the bootleg you're talking about?
It's just the bootleg I think, but I want them to release a proper, two disc monster after they've finished releasing singles from "Paramore". All the b sides from, AWKIF, Riot, BNE and Paramore in one box would be sweet.

Goddamn, I can't get away from them at the minute. The local supermarket is pushing the new record, as is HMV (record store in the UK), and they are all over the radio too. I think this is the first time in ages that I'm interested in the sales of an album.

NinjaBoiX

Part II is easily the best song on the album.
It really is epic. That last 2 minutes of frantic drum fills, echoing vocals, and a wall a squealing guitars, it's so awesome!

I was about to PM you actually Andrew, I have another recommendation for you on the back of Faraquet. Check out "Polvo", they have a similar sound, but a little more whoozy and the dynamics and rhythms aren't as sharp.

They aren't quite as good as Faraquet or Fugazi, but they definitely belong on the same shelf in the record shop.

Andrew.

Banned
l will check 'em out right now actually (Im at work using Pandora). Ill PM you later on and let you know what I think. Thanks man!

Milchjon

Now is all over German music TV, what the fuck did they do to her.

They should invent a visual mute button for that music video.

NinjaBoiX

Now is all over German music TV, what the fuck did they do to her.

They should invent a visual mute button for that music video.
Yeah, she looks really odd, but I think that was the idea.

I hated them at first, but her mini bangs look awesome sometimes...

tumblr_ml2edcis7D1qh75ibo1_500.png

Milchjon

Yeah, she looks really odd, but I think that was the idea.

I hated them at first, but her mini bangs look awesome sometimes...

tumblr_ml2edcis7D1qh75ibo1_500.png

I actually think the eyes are the real problems. Stupid make up decisions.

I don't care if it's a conscious decision, I fall asleep to this shit, and I don't want creepy nightmares :p

strafer

So I've been listening to some Paramore on Spotify lately, and this is something I should have listened to in school. Still like it though.

She got a great voice.

KlotePino

I've been listening to it on and off too and I really like Last Hope, Anklebiters and Part 2 so far. I just miss the instrumental talent that the band has on this record, especially the drums (excluding part 2) are pretty simple, leaving only Hayley to really stand out.

BJK

I've been listening to it on and off too and I really like Last Hope, Anklebiters and Part 2 so far. I just miss the instrumental talent that the band has on this record, especially the drums (excluding part 2) are pretty simple, leaving only Hayley to really stand out.

Agreed on the drums (I'll miss Zac Farro way more than his bro). Where the Lines Overlap was my most played song on BNE based on those drum fills.

Still love the new album; Last Hope is the track that keeps sticking around in my head when I'm not replaying. Curious to see if the album hits #1 on the Billboard charts like its projected to (per HitFix).

NinjaBoiX

Those are three of my favourites too, along with Now, I'm Not Angry Anymore (I really love that track), Fast In My Car (corny chorus aside) and Be Alone. I've decided I do really like Be Alone, I've been up and down. Also Daydreaming just for being so very over the top, and that glorious twinkling outro. I'm going to post another review after listening to it a lot more. My opinions have changed quite a bit. It's probably their best record, despite being less consistent.
Agreed on the drums (I'll miss Zac Farro way more than his bro). Where the Lines Overlap was my most played song on BNE based on those drum fills.
Yeah, apart from Now and Part II, there is little in the way of crazy showboating fills, and Zac had a wonderful knack for driving the rhythm for the track. I mean, that's obviously the drummers job, but he mimicked Josh's sharp, angular riffs with dead stops and muted hi-hats and such.

To be fair, Ilan Rubin is probably the better drummer, Zac just had that inherent knack for drumming punk.
(Part II) The middle part to the song is SO GOOD. Easily one of my favorite tracks on the album.
Yeah, the sparse drum hits and reverb, the calm before the barely controlled lunacy of the extended outro. I just love music so chaotic, it almost sounds improvised. The drum fills, echoing riffs, ethereal vocal refrains bouncing around, so, so fucking good.

Also, kudos for Hayley's magnificent Karen O impression at the end of FIMC. Nailed it!

tumblr_lg6rsa1jCu1qc650d.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom