• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasite Eve "3": The Third Birthday |OT| Showers are Duckroll's fetish

B.K. said:
Crisis Core was brutal?

on normal, it was almost impossible to die. Easiest square game i have played.

But on hard, it was pretty nasty, yes. I thought so at least. Especially bosses. But also it was very grindy, which made it annoying (I didn't mind the difficulyt that much, but I did mind that every fight was taking forever because each enemy was a horrible punching ball).

Hard Mode in Crisis Core was only brutal for the first couple of hours.

If you want to make Crisis Core a very very fun game, you should do a Curse Ring No Missions No Materia Stat Pumping challenge. It removes the annoying DMWs and the grindy missions. You'll have to scavenge whatever you get to survive the nasty cutscene attacks, so keeping your Barrier/MBarrier up while pumping your HP with an accessory or materia. Fun as hell.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I like the game and it's pretty cool. But these controls, ugh. SCE Bend did an amazing job making third-person shooters work on the PSP with Resistance Retribution and Syphon Filter. So did Kojima with MGS Peace Walker.

Nah, PW was pretty bad. 3rd Birthday works because of lock feature, at the beginning of the tutorial level I was like: "OMFG, MH claw again!", but it turned out it's fine without it.

I'm only a few missions in but I think the game works rather well, the tank controls (it's not 90's era survival horror tank clunky) and the lock-on work rather well with the lone analogue nub. Camera isn't too bad at following Aya around but I still find myself clawing it.

Really not a fan of Aya's charactisation in the game thus far, but as kiryogi said to someone else, I'll keep playin'.

cj_iwakura

The game is gorgeous. Crisis Core++.

The controls are quite solid. Takes some getting used to, then you'll be blowing up Twisted with ease.

Also, fair warning for the squeamish: this game is gory. Innocent people being gibbed left and right.

It's Parasite Eve, alright.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fucking chapter 2 boss. How do you
keep the main gun/armored car
alive? I cleared the first round and was like "OH HO HO YOU ASSHOLE, YOU WERE EASY" and then
"Gabe!? NO!" *round two starts*
and then I get fucked up. :/ Doesn't help the gun overheats after putting a quarter of a chunk in the boss and then you have to use people on the ground for cannon fodder/sacrifices to get the boss off the weapon. :|

Edit: Also I'm playing on Normal and the main enemies aren't bad. But the bosses will probably kick your ass if you aren't careful.

My DNA board has cross healing (overdiving lets the overdived into character heal/regen) level 12, crossfire healing level 6? and overdive armor boost level 2 or so with overdive kill grants powershot level 4 IIRC. The overdive heals and crossfire heals are linked together but there is a green I can't link as it's on the otherside of the board and the two blues/overdive granted defense/bonus won't link as they're different breeds of the same color.

Wolf Akela said:
Hard Mode in Crisis Core was only brutal for the first couple of hours.

If you want to make Crisis Core a very very fun game, you should do a Curse Ring No Missions No Materia Stat Pumping challenge. It removes the annoying DMWs and the grindy missions. You'll have to scavenge whatever you get to survive the nasty cutscene attacks, so keeping your Barrier/MBarrier up while pumping your HP with an accessory or materia. Fun as hell.

It did get significantly better after the first few hours, but that mission in Wutai was just nasty.
In any case, maybe I played it wrong, but the feeling that foes had gigatons of HP never truly went away, so I still thought the combat was a bit off. Which is too bad, because I thought the combat system was actually pretty good and challenging (not on normal).

So, coming back to 3rd birthday - which difficulty level are you guys playing at? and how does it feel? I started on hard but think it's actually a bit tough. Especially because there was no manual with the psn version, and I just don't understand how to activate crossfire.

TheSeks

Crossfire: Wait until the meter that shows up on lock-on/not firing is full. Then fire. You'll command the people (however many circles) that "linked" with you to crossfire with you.

harriet the spy said:
I started on hard but think it's actually a bit tough. Especially because there was no manual with the psn version, and I just don't understand how to activate crossfire.

I started on Normal, and there are challenging set pieces. Need to get a good feel for it, before I try other difficulties.

AwShucks

cj_iwakura said:
I don't really get how the DNA Field works.

Put in chips. Put chips on-top of chips to level up. At the confirm screen you can hit square to randomize the results again, possibly getting something you really want. This is especially useful when you are applying a negative chip, as it seems like a 20% chance to get a non-negative result out of it.

Anyways, I don't get the story complaints and how people say it's a "side story". 3.5 hours in and it feels like a continuation of PE2 to me, especially given some of the cut-scenes and what Aya is seeing. But we'll see, so far I don't hate the story as there really isn't too much of it. It's just ok.

TheSeks said:
Expect more Overdiving if a "Parasite Eve 4" actually comes out. I doubt they'll go back to the base/normal Aya powers. :( :/
I'm 99% sure that almost everything from the first game was made up. The original story was pretty simple, and didn't have any psychic cops running around killing zombies. It was about a scientist trying to revive his dead wife triggering the evolution of mitochondria and the potential of a perfect being. That's why it's called parasite eve. I don't even think there was an opera singer in the original.

duckroll

God's Beard said:
I'm 99% sure that almost everything from the first game was made up. The original story was pretty simple, and didn't have any psychic cops running around killing zombies. It was about a scientist trying to revive his dead wife triggering the evolution of mitochondria and the potential of a perfect being. That's why it's called parasite eve. I don't even think there was an opera singer in the original.

The first Parasite Eve game takes place after the events of the Parasite Eve novel actually. The events of the novel are actually relayed in the game itself, as events that happened in Japan some time prior to the events in the game. The game story doesn't overwrite the original story, but builds on it as a story which takes place in New York after the events that took place in Japan.

duckroll said:
The first Parasite Eve game takes place after the events of the Parasite Eve novel actually. The events of the novel are actually relayed in the game itself, as events that happened in Japan some time prior to the events in the game. The game story doesn't overwrite the original story, but builds on it as a story which takes place in New York after the events that took place in Japan.
So I don't see why they can't use mito powers.

BadWolf

Castor Krieg said:
Nah, PW was pretty bad. 3rd Birthday works because of lock feature, at the beginning of the tutorial level I was like: "OMFG, MH claw again!", but it turned out it's fine without it.

Yeah I liked the control/camera more in this than in PW.

The only thing I used the claw for in T3B is switching weapons (since it lets you bypass reloading).

Dambrosi

Banned
God's Beard said:
That's right. As I remember, the first game was an original "pseudo-sequel" to the novel.

Which was better for us, since it gave us Aya, mutant rat transformations and one of PS1's best RPGs.

duckroll said:
Not sure what you're referring to exactly here...

Well people are saying they can't use her pyrokinesis and stuff because of licensing, but I'm saying they just made it all up anyway so they should be fine.

duckroll

God's Beard said:
Well people are saying they can't use her pyrokinesis and stuff because of licensing, but I'm saying they just made it all up anyway so they should be fine.

There's a very good reason why there is no Mitochondria shit in T3B.... nor will there be in the series ever again. Lulz.

Domstercool

Well the story justifies no powers, but they didn't have to do that story. That would be a better way of putting it I guess.

fernoca

All this talk about the original PE game, novels..made me remember I had (then gifted) the original japanese movie 'Parasaito Ivu'. :p

God's Beard said:

Aya's mitochondrial powers are Square's invention, but they are tied to a core concept from the licensed material, which Square will not be licensing if they make any further games beyond this one.

fernoca

By the way...
duckroll said:
PSN games all have manuals. You need to select the game (don't launch it), press triangle, and select Manual.
The PSN release (at least in the US) doesn't have a manual; maybe they just forgot. :p

You choose the option and all it says is that "there's no software manual available".

fernoca

disappeared said:
If this is hitting/has hit PSN already, can I play it on my PS3?
Yep, was out the same day as the retail release; but like all PSP releases, no you can't.
Only PSPminis and PSone games can be played in both, well...except Pocket Fighter (PSone); which can only be played on the PS3.

Is there is anybody who bought the retail version of 3rd birthday and isn't going to use their voucher for Lightning's Aya costume in Dissidia?

If so, would said person be kind enough to PM me the voucher code? I'm feeling generous, so in exchange I'd be willing to ship you a factory sealed PS3 copy of BlazBlue CS (I bought an extra one on the Aksys Japan benefit sale).

duckroll

fernoca said:
By the way...

The PSN release (at least in the US) doesn't have a manual; maybe they just forgot. :p

You choose the option and all it says is that "there's no software manual available".

That makes no sense. My JP T3B is the PSN release, and there's definitely a manual! You should demand a refund!

TheSeks

AwShucks said:
That's what drives your interest in the series 100%?

That's a shame.

Well, I can understand his reasoning. Mito powers were the corner stone of Aya before this outing. Suddenly removing that doesn't make Aya... Aya.

fernoca

duckroll said:
That makes no sense. My JP T3B is the PSN release, and there's definitely a manual! You should demand a refund!
Haha, nah no biggie. Weird, since from the games I have is the only one that doesn't have one.

I wanted to see what many were talking about the booklet, but ..nothing. :( :p

BentMyWookiee said:
Is there is anybody who bought the retail version of 3rd birthday and isn't going to use their voucher for Lightning's Aya costume in Dissidia?

I haven't used mine but I bought the HK version so I would assume you'll need the HK version of Dissidia :/

TheSeks

God's Beard said:
but I'm saying they just made it all up anyway so they should be fine.

No? The Mito powers are part of the "Mito revolting" plotline that was a cornerstone of the PE novel. PE1 builds upon the PE novel. "Parasite Eve" isn't Square's IP. Anything relating to that, isn't there. Aya (an original creation) and other characters that weren't in the novel (Madea, Kyle, "Eve") are theirs' to exploit and use in other games, even if they aren't "PE" games.

They can use Liberate/et. al, but they can't explain it as "mito converting energy into creating magic fireballs," which kinda kills the power in a "sci-fi" series.

TheSeks

Metal Gear?! said:
Is there a reason they don't want to license the original story any longer? Did it somehow get more expensive?

The novel publisher doesn't want to license it, I wager.

God's Beard said:
Diminishing returns.

Doubt it's that. Just not worth the cost to call the game "Parasite Eve" when you can just use your original creations do not steal characters in a new game within the same "universe" and not call it that.

TheSeks said:
Doubt it's that. Just not worth the cost to call the game "Parasite Eve" when you can just use your original creations do not steal characters in a new game within the same "universe" and not call it that.
Sooo.... diminishing returns?

Top Bottom