• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasite Eve |OT| The worst foe lies within the self

Carlisle

Wow this is coming out today? Last I heard, it got ESRB rated a couple weeks ago. That was fast. Never owned it, but I played to disc 2 on my buddy's copy back when it came out. Looking forward to getting this and playing all the way through. IIRC it's like the shortest jrpg ever.

theRizzle

I haven't played this game since I beat it right after it was released, and I really do not remember it looking so rough. I know it's a PS1 game and all, but that is nothing like the way I have remembered it in my head all these years.

Ichabod

Banned
Such a great game.
The Chrysler Building
was a gauntlet of pain but I couldn't stop until I cleared it.

This game was so awesome! I feel like I'm just as hyped to play it now as I was when it first came out. PE had a new game + feature, right?

Squeenix has been on a roll lately with all these PS Classics. If Einhander pops up on PSN I'm going to be so happy! My disc copy is insanely scratched after all these years.

Damn, I need to seriously stock up on these excellent PSN releases. Not only PE; but Xenogears, Vagrant Story, and Arc the Lad 1 & 2.

My wallet cries.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
By the way my PSP screen has some weird vertical lines on it, do you guys think it's fixable? I can't afford to repair/replace the unit at this time and there aren't that many more games I want on it, I've played most I wanted, but there are still a few I want, like this one, so if it's fixable I'd love to do that... The lines are of a brighter hue than the rest of the screen and also seem to make images they overlap ghost on that area.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So when does the PSN store tend to upate time wise?

6-9pm-ish EST

dragonlife29 said:
The worst foe lies at the end of the game.

Ugh. I always hated that part. It was such a bitch.

Seriously who greenlit that horse-shit? Aside from being one of the worst finales in a game it dates Parasite Eve 1 more than the graphics and controls ever could.

At least offer a freaking save-point after the final boss.

ULTROS! said:
If you're speaking about the creature chasing you before the ship explodes, it's not that difficult actually.

Oh yeah sure if I had a guide I'd know exactly where to go and not hit a dead-end. Or I could just replay it a few times(along with the final boss fight) and...FUCK THAT.

duckroll said:
It's a trap though. If you use the save point you could totally fuck yourself over. LOL.

Developers of Parasite Eve 1 moved on to become Cavia imo.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
At least offer a freaking save-point after the final boss.

Err... They did?

If you're speaking about the creature chasing you before the ship explodes, it's not that difficult actually.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Still have the original PSOne game discs, and it's one of my favorite Squaresoft games from that period in the company's history. <3

Clott

It's been years since I played it, always liked the atmosphere and seeing the city slowly change for the worse. I have never played the second one but will as soon a it is released on psn. Don't know if I will jump in for a replay right away but I will add it to the backlog.

BentMyWookiee said:
Squeenix has been on a roll lately with all these PS Classics. If Einhander pops up on PSN I'm going to be so happy! My disc copy is insanely scratched after all these years.

my disc copy of einhander is scratched as well, but it still works like a charm. they did put it on the japanese PSN, so hopefully it shouldn't be too far off for US. i really can't wait to play PE, though. i remember back in '98 and '99 when i would see magazine ads for it, being intrigued but not having any money to buy games of my own back then.

Jigsaw said:
how will the disc change work?afair you can't save at the end of disc 1 and had to hot swap the discs
Hit the PS button on the controller and it brings up a menu which has the option to switch to disc 2.

Dreamer RD

It's epic game, but character models during close ups looked like shit. Especially Maeda. Same story was in FF8. Overall great game of course.

In the end, when
ultimate being chasing Aya in the narrow corridors
, is probably one of the scariest moments in game history.

And Shimomura rocks.

Can't wait to start playing this later tonight. Hopefully this time I can beat the damn game. I might actually get around to playing Parasite Eve 2 afterwards too. I beat the first chapter a few weeks ago and found it to be enjoyable.

Ourobolus

Banned
I remember pre-ordering this at a PX in Korea back in the day. Can't wait to dive in again.

Great game, but I don't know if I'll ever finish the Chrysler building. Got to floor 50 or 60-something and never made it past some boss that involved 3 giant bees or cockroaches or something.

NeoCross

One of my favorite games if all time. Seriously loved this game when I first played it, and still have the PS1 cd's lying around.

Time to reload dat psn wallet. Sooo bought <3

Bought my PSN card last night for this and Duodecim Prologue.

I still have my PE1 & PE2 discs, but am very much looking forward to playing this on my PSP Go later tonight.

ULTROS!

I plan on merging this thread with PE2 also whenever it comes out. Might as well rename this Parasite Eve 1 and 2 |OT| and change the banner in the future.

ULTROS!

So I guess PE2 will be coming out next week.

POPULAR PARASITE EVE SERIES BEGINS TO SPREAD INFECTION TO PLAYSTATION®NETWORK TODAY

LOS ANGELES (March 15, 2011) — Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced PARASITE EVE®, will be released for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system via the PlayStation®Network. The critically acclaimed PARASITE EVE II will follow at a later date.

Originally released for the PlayStation in September 1998, PARASITE EVE is a survival–horror RPG that introduced players to the FINAL FANTASY® series based Active Time Battle system. In Aya’s battles, a dome appears, symbolizing the range of the weapon. The story unfolds as New York City rookie police detective Aya Brea discovers the existence of an aggressive mitochondria –– a being called "EVE" –– that has awakened in present–day New York to put an end to the symbiotic relationship between mitochondria and humans that has spanned hundreds of thousands of years. Struggling with something mysterious hidden within herself, Aya sets out to investigate and stop EVE's wicked agenda.

Incidentally, The 3rd Birthday®, a new title for the PSP® system featuring Aya Brea will be released on March 29, 2011. PARASITE EVE and PARASITE EVE II will be a great way to prepare for The 3rd Birthday release.

Product Overview

Title: PARASITE EVE

Platform: PlayStation®3 and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system

Genre: RPG / Survival–Horror

MSRP: $9.99

It's 9.99? Thought it was 5.99, whatever we'll see soon anyway.

AwShucks

Just beat this a couple months ago in preparation for 3rd Birthday. Found it to still be fantastic. sure some of the story is WTF out there, but the gameplay is great.

I should probably try to play through PE2 after I beat Vagrant Story but before 3rd Birthday. Doesn't leave me with much time.

duckroll

ULTROS! said:
I plan on merging this thread with PE2 also whenever it comes out. Might as well rename this Parasite Eve 1 and 2 |OT| and change the banner in the future.

Or I could just remove the "1"?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
ULTROS! said:
So I guess PE2 will be coming out next week.

It's 9.99? Thought it was 5.99, whatever we'll see soon anyway.

Think the pricing has to do with the game being multiple discs. Seems only single-disc games get the lower price.

RpgN

You guys have gotten so many awesome ps1 games on PSN lately! We got Twisted Metal, Tomb Raider III and Soul Reaver lately. While they're popular and highly requested, they're not my thing (besides Soul Reaver but it's too overpriced). Things are finally improving for both regions though. Hopefully it conitnues and stays consistent.

I own the Japanese version of Parasite Eve 1, but wouldn't mind getting the English version as well along with Xenogears. I hope they find their way in EU on some import section. If not, the US store will come in handy.

T-Matt

I always wanted to play this game so I'm glad it's coming to psn. Maybe I'm broken but I really don't mind ps1 graphics when they have an interesting style.

ULTROS!

Game is up, $5.99

duckroll said:
Or I could just remove the "1"?

Yeah that would do.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Damn, I need to seriously stock up on these excellent PSN releases. Not only PE; but Xenogears, Vagrant Story, and Arc the Lad 1 & 2.

My wallet cries.

and you see, i made the wallet am cry comment last psn thread, and people jumped down my throat about it haha.

Already bought and downloading now. Got stuck on the last boss and never finished, seeking desperate revenge.

Top Bottom