• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasite Eve |OT| The worst foe lies within the self

B.K.

I converted the game for my custom firmware PSP last year and played through it six times. I hope I can use that same save file for the official release. I'd like to keep my weapon and armor.

DPHeR.png

zz1tl.png

Maaseru

Banned
Oh man !!! 19 hours into Vagrant Story and what a fun and challenging RPG to play. They sure don't make 'em like this anymore. I got Xeno, but skeppied it. I have never played it, but I guess I'll skip it again for PE :D

So did you just use every kit on the first 2 things in the game and by the end they are god tier? I remember using all my kits on the m-16 but it wasnt strong at the end of the game.

AwShucks

Maaseru said:
Oh man !!! 19 hours into Vagrant Story and what a fun and challenging RPG to play. They sure don't make 'em like this anymore. I got Xeno, but skeppied it. I have never played it, but I guess I'll skip it again for PE :D

yeah PE1 can be "beaten" in like 8 hours. I think my latest playthrough was around there. So it's probably best to get through that rather than start Xenogears

Am I the only one who wished the game was voice acted? I recall this being one of the complaints in some reviews at the time. Squaresoft was really late into the whole voiced games concept IIRC.

B.K.

Onion_Relish said:
So did you just use every kit on the first 2 things in the game and by the end they are god tier? I remember using all my kits on the m-16 but it wasnt strong at the end of the game.

No. The AK-47 is a weapon you can get for getting 300 pieces of Junk and the armor is from the Chrysler Tower. I used Tools and BP to increase the stats on a piece of armor and a weapon and transferred all of their stats to those two pieces of eqiupment.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Am I the only one who wished the game was voice acted? I recall this being one of the complaints in some reviews at the time. Squaresoft was really late into the whole voiced games concept IIRC.

It's kinda weird though. Brave Fencer Musashi was probably their first game with voice acting but their latter games with probably bigger budgets (Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, PE2) don't have voice acting.

Shadybiz

Ah, this is excellent, thank you. I have good memories of the first one. ...Now I need to learn how to transfer stuff to my PSP.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
B.K. said:
I converted the game for my custom firmware PSP last year and played through it six times. I hope I can use that same save file for the official release. I'd like to keep my weapon and armor.

http://i.imgur.com/DPHeR.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zz1tl.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Heh, that seems pretty excessive. :P

My endgame equips from last year's thread (1x NG+):
[IMG]http://h-2.abload.de/img/untitled-3fadz.jpg
untitled-4yz96.jpg

anaron

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Considering how awful most of their VA output has been, hell no.

just got started about an hour ago, i'm still in the theater trying to find my way around. i really like the battle system and the music for this game.

Jigsaw

Banned
my ex round 2 equipment,seems like everyone has the same skillset XD

i thought i had a new game+ file but my only save is in the end of the museum,i can reach both endings from there,but can't remember where the fuck eve is,lol!

the alternate ending didn't allow me to create a new game+ save :\

well,some random pics from ps3

i miss prerendered backgrounds :(

ULTROS! said:
It's kinda weird though. Brave Fencer Musashi was probably their first game with voice acting but their latter games with probably bigger budgets (Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, PE2) don't have voice acting.

Yeah, it's weird, the same thing was the case for the Final Fantasy series. I've never figured out why they took so long to get into "talkies." Perhaps it was an issue of not needing to add voice work for the CGI cutscenes (which were never cheap) and they didn't want to spring on non-text localization along with the Japanese ones. It's funny even with only text how long the Japanese to US versions would still take to create in the PS1 days for the big titles.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I always loved the burning opera scene, one of my favorite scenes ever.

I have the disc version as well, but I'll be double dipping anyway. Being able to play these games on the PSP always seals the deal. These games look great on a small screen.

But hell, I haven't even gotten Vagrant Story yet. Add both of these to my increasingly staggering pile of shame.

DidntKnowJack said:
I have the disc version as well, but I'll be double dipping anyway. Being able to play these games on the PSP always seals the deal. These games look great on a small screen.

But hell, I haven't even gotten Vagrant Story yet. Add both of these to my increasingly staggering pile of shame.

You're not alone. It's kind of messed up that (barring PC which is different) my biggest backlog is PS1 games. Then again it's not like you can resell DD.

Tiefooz

Anybody try transferring this to a PSP yet? I'm getting a black screen after the PS1 boot logo on my 6.35 Go; a buddy on a 2000 just upgraded to 6.37 and is getting the same result.

Crap. If I wanted to play this on my TV, I would've just used the physical friggin' discs. :(

Ellis Kim

Banned
I love this game <3

Which reminds me... I need to eventually give Vagrant Story another chance. My first impression of PE1 was bad, but then I came back and loved it.

anaron

CecilMcW00t said:
I'm loving the battle system! But I heard PE2 is more like Resident Evil? Is this true? Is the battle system different?
Yes. The only thing it retains from the original is using spells and and a more streamlined weapon/armor upgrade system.

B.K.

CecilMcW00t said:
But I heard PE2 is more like Resident Evil? Is this true? Is the battle system different?

Yeah. It's a horrible Resident Evil clone. It's not worth playing.

phage

Neo Member
PE2 can take some time to warm up to. It's a much more difficult game than the first and the storyline takes a while to make any sense, plus the pace is much slower up until you get through Dryfield. Once I beat it on bounty mode I grew to like it more than PE1. I still can't beat Scavenger mode 10 years later...

Murkas

My favourite game of all time, shame it wasn't released in UK :(

And it doesn't look like this one will get on EU PSN for a while.

Manus

Finished the first boss fight and I'm at the police station right now. This station has some of the best music in gaming. Forgot how much I loved this game.

Ourobolus

Banned
PE2 coming soon? Sweet. The second one was definitely a departure from the first game, but I found it to be fun in its own way. Although it took me forever to beat the very first incarnation of No. 9 at the top of the building, but once I got that it was fun from there on out.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
After plowing through 30 hours of Vagrant Story a couple weeks back, I have to say this game definitely has the superior combat system.

Vagrant Story focuses so heavily on buffs, gems, and weapon stats, that the active strategy in EVERY fight resulted in brushing right up to the nose of your enemy/boss and unleashing slaughter. There was literally nothing tactical or visceral involved. I had forgotten how much of a crux the ATB bar is for this game. Love dodging and weaving magic and melee attacks by the enemies waiting for that recharge. Gives the actual combat a reactive element that VS really could have used(RISK was not a viable solution for that game).

Also had the weird loading problem as well. Game seemed to hang in blackness after the PS logo, and I assumed the PSN version was busted. Even with fast loading enabled, it still doesn't prompt up nearly as fast as FFIX, Vagrant Story, and other PSOne releases on PSP, but at least it does work.

warpaint

having never played an Eve game before and really looking forward to 3rd Birthday would you say i should play both the old game before playing 3rd ?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Shit I died on the first boss AGAIN. The very first time I played this game, I died... and I did again just now!! Freaking n00b!

... there is NO save spot before the first boss fight under the stage right?

Brandon F said:
Also had the weird loading problem as well. Game seemed to hang in blackness after the PS logo, and I assumed the PSN version was busted. Even with fast loading enabled, it still doesn't prompt up nearly as fast as FFIX, Vagrant Story, and other PSOne releases on PSP, but at least it does work.

I'm glad it's not just my version, what's up with this? Twice now it's done this... I just mash Home a few times and it clears up, but there's no MS access light either. Freaking weird, I hope it's not going to do this every time I boot up the game!

B.K.

warpaint said:
having never played an Eve game before and really looking forward to 3rd Birthday would you say i should play both the old game before playing 3rd ?

You don't have to. The 3rd Birthday isn't a Parasite Eve game.

Adam Prime said:
... there is NO save spot before the first boss fight under the stage right?

There is one. I believe it's in the last room on the left before the double doors that lead to the boss. Save points in Parasite Eve are telephones that have a glowing red light on them. Just make sure to look for them.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
B.K. said:
There is one. I believe it's in the last room on the left before the double doors that lead to the boss. Save points in Parasite Eve are telephones that have a glowing red light on them. Just make sure to look for them.

No shit?! That's TWICE playing through this game that I've missed that! Freaking unbelievable, well I went ahead and saved there just now... thanks!

Reminds me though, playing these 3D-sprints in rendered backgrounds freaking sucks. You just have to run around and tap X on everything to know what it is you're supposed to activate. I'm glad this got left behind with the PSone era. But reminds me playing through Squaresoft RPGs and just mashing X everywhere in the environment.

Muffdraul

warpaint said:

It wouldn't hurt. They've downplayed the PE connection for whatever reason, but there are direct hooks to both PEs. Mainly via returning characters; most obvious being Aya Brea, lead character in all three.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man it's a bummer this game doesn't allow Screenshots. Some of my other PSOne games gives you that option, this one doesn't. :(

So what's the general rule of leveling up your guns...? Any tips?

Mdk7

Does anyone know it they'll release it in PAL Land as well?
If not, is it possible to buy a game in the US PSN from Europe?
Thanks!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Mdk7 said:
If not, is it possible to buy a game in the US PSN from Europe?
Thanks!

yeah there are websites that sell other region PSN cards to whatever other region. They just e-mail you the code. I think if you check in the official PSN Store thread they have the websites, I don't know what they are off the top of my head.

Anyone have a link to a Wiki or a FAQ that shows the best way to upgrade weapons?

Damn, got up to Day 5 and now I can't beat that optional boss in the Warehouse. It's weird, because I don't think I ever had much of a problem with it during my first playthrough.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Awesome thread. I need to finish Dino Crisis and replay this sometime. But Parasite Eve 3 is around the corner.

Anyone have a link to a Wiki or a FAQ that shows the best way to upgrade weapons?

There really isn't a "best way to upgrade weapons." You have to get a bunch of junk and stick with one gun (pref. one of the "wayne guns" but those really aren't that good enough to warrant the huge grind) and take everything off one gun and put it on that one. Throughout the game.

ULTROS!

Btw TheSeks, if you're interested, PE2 will be coming out soon (according to SE, before the release of 3rd Birthday so that means next PSN update?)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ULTROS! said:
Btw TheSeks, if you're interested, PE2 will be coming out soon (according to SE, before the release of 3rd Birthday so that means next PSN update?)

Yeah. I know, I'm really excited. I bought my PSP when the PSX emulator was put on it via firmware. I expected Parasite Eve 1 and 2 and the Biohazard series to be put on the store for on-the-go play. Which they finally did, nearly five years later.

Oh well, I'm totally happy. Barring a few JRPGs from Capcom and no Einhander at this point.

ULTROS!

warpaint said:
they are games i've been looking out for so when there up on the PSN EURO Store i'll pick them up

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Xenogears, Parasite Eve 1, Legend of Mana, and Threads of Fate didn't receive a EU release.

Parasite Eve 2 did though.

Top Bottom