• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parasite Eve |OT| The worst foe lies within the self

Wow already up to Day 4 and I haven't been playing long at all. The gameplay is pretty tight as well, and am glad I am starting to get more spells.

I really need more RPGs that can be beaten in a short amount of time. Short and sweet. I can't wait to start PE 2 right after and hopefully finish up before 3rd Birthday comes out.

schlew

Is anyone having any issues with the game loading up? I'm finding that on my PSP, it hangs for a long time after the Playstation logo. Just sits there with a black screen. None of my other PS1 or PSN games do this, so it's pretty weird. It takes minutes to finally get going.

Diebuster

schlew said:
Is anyone having any issues with the game loading up? I'm finding that on my PSP, it hangs for a long time after the Playstation logo. Just sits there with a black screen. None of my other PS1 or PSN games do this, so it's pretty weird. It takes minutes to finally get going.

Did you set the disc load speed to fast? That fixed it for me.

Okay, this game made me feel like a total RPG scrub when I was playing it on a flight earlier today. I could not find the key for the doors in the Central Park Zoo. WHERE THE FUCK IS IT

:(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Revolutionary said:
Okay, this game made me feel like a total RPG scrub when I was playing it on a flight earlier today. I could not find the key for the doors in the Central Park Zoo. WHERE THE FUCK IS IT

:(

Check the drawer in the clinic.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
B.K. said:
Yeah. It's a horrible Resident Evil clone. It's not worth playing.

Bullshit. It's very worth playing for the battle system. Instead of "wait until Liberation" you have to think "do I want to cast Energy Shot with so many enemies around." Frankly, the battle system alone makes PE2 wayyyy more fun than Parasite Eve 1.

The whole "wait, then shoot" mechanics for firmarms was fucking stupid as well. It was stupid in 1997. It's even more stupid now.

PE1 had good ideas for a "JRPG"/ARPG mish-mash, but the battle system was weak in a real-time gun battle standpoint.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Not to go off topic but should I also create a Legend of Mana thread? :p

ULTROS! said:
Check the drawer in the clinic.
Smh I really hate how precise you have to be with the interactions in this game. I swear I spammed X on every goddamn thing I could find.

And yes to the Legend of Mana thread.

VVV I think it looks fantastic for a 1998 game. The 32-bit real-time rendition of NYC had me in awe. I think it looks gorgeous.

tearsofash

Bought this the other day. Haven't played it since it's initial release. How well did it age? (gameplay / graphics)

ULTROS! said:
Not to go off topic but should I also create a Legend of Mana thread? :p
Just follow your heart, bro.

I picked this up over the weekend and put it on my GO, never having played it before and based of GAF ravings. I can honestly say it has made me stop playing Pokemon Black for the weekend. I have no clue why I didn't play it back in 1997 but I am very glad to be playing it now. Phenomenal game. I can't wait to finish it and move to PE2 when that is put on the PSN.

ULTROS!

I have to warn you though PE2 isn't much like PE1. Probably the first and second parts of PE2 are "similar" to PE1.

Gvaz

Banned
This game looks pretty interesting, and I keep hearing praise for it, but I'm not sure.

How does this control? is it a straight up RPG or is it something unique?

ULTROS! said:
I have to warn you though PE2 isn't much like PE1. Probably the first and second parts of PE2 are "similar" to PE1.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind when I play the second so I don't get caught off guard by it. I do keep hearing that the battle system is better in 2 though which has me excited because I quite like the battle system in this one. I am just running around the central park zoo on day 2, grinding levels because of the battle system.

ULTROS!

Gvaz said:
This game looks pretty interesting, and I keep hearing praise for it, but I'm not sure.

How does this control? is it a straight up RPG or is it something unique?

More of scripted random encounter, turned based RPG with action elements (you need to move around in order to get a better shot and to avoid enemy attacks).

ULTROS!

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Thanks, I will keep that in mind when I play the second so I don't get caught off guard by it. I do keep hearing that the battle system is better in 2 though which has me excited because I quite like the battle system in this one. I am just running around the central park zoo on day 2, grinding levels because of the battle system.

I remember finding the battle system ok for me, I think it's the location variety and story of 2 that I didn't really like.

Diebuster said:
Did you set the disc load speed to fast? That fixed it for me.

Should setting it to fast fix the problem? I ask because for me I get a several minute pause after the PS logo as well regardless of disc speed.

brianmcdoogle said:
Should setting it to fast fix the problem? I ask because for me I get a several minute pause after the PS logo as well regardless of disc speed.

Setting it to fast seems to eliminate the several minutes of loading before and after the Squaresoft logo.

Man, I forgot how abrupt the Disc Change sequence is in PE. You find a random key item that you need and then you get prompted for the switch out of nowhere.

Parasite Eve is one of the few PS1-era rpgs that I just never got around to playing for whatever reason, but now I can! With 3rd Birthday pre-ordered and fully paid for, I'm pretty interested to play the earlier entries in the series and see what the deal is.

First time playing Parasite Eve, I'd say it has aged fairly well. It's got a neat combat system that's a hybrid of turn based and action elements. You hit these scripted encounters and your actions are meter/menu driven but you have a limited battlefield to move around in and you have to dodge enemy attacks.

The contemporary setting and sci-fi angle are pretty refreshing.

Any links to a comprehensive stat building guide or whatever (if that sort of thing would even be useful) would be greatly appreciated, as I have barely any time to really devote to this game.

plc268

I'm finally getting around to playing Parasite Eve, and I quite like it. I'm having a bit of a hard time playing with my PSP Go's screen because everything is so small, and it's awfully easy to miss an item. I'm still early in the game and battle system is interesting. Although, on the first boss fight, I got trapped into a corner, and he wouldn't let me out. The only way I survived was that I used a bunch of medicine and healed myself, and eventually backed off. Is this common? I tried everything and I couldn't free myself.

Other thoughts: Good god the writing is terrible. I forgot how much these PS1 JRPGs were written for a younger crowd. The dialog and banter between the characters is something you'd expect between two 11-year olds, not grown adults.

Managed to clear the first day while waiting in a lobby for an interview. I'm really enjoying Parasite Eve, yeah the localisation is classic mid-90's, PS1 jrpg quality but the gameplay has held up fairly well, it's a real nice mash-up of turn-based and real-time mechanics. The contemporary setting really helps set Parasite Eve apart too, this game is over ten years old and it's still a relative rarity to see an rpg, be it from the east or west, that's set in the present day world.

it is kind of hard to see on my PSP 2000 though, I think I may bust out the component cables and hook my PSP up to my HDTV to play this.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
jaundicejuice said:
Managed to clear the first day while waiting in a lobby for an interview. I'm really enjoying Parasite Eve, yeah the localisation is classic mid-90's, PS1 jrpg quality but the gameplay has held up fairly well, it's a real nice mash-up of turn-based and real-time mechanics. The contemporary setting really helps set Parasite Eve apart too, this game is over ten years old and it's still a relative rarity to see an rpg, be it from the east or west, that's set in the present day world.

it is kind of hard to see on my PSP 2000 though, I think I may bust out the component cables and hook my PSP up to my HDTV to play this.

I think this looks way better on the PSP screen then it could possibly look on a HDTV screen blown up.

I agree the game play and mechanics of this game has really held the test of time. I wish more games employed this sort of battle system. Also agree about the setting. Aside from this... does Square have any present day settings.

I finally beat Day 3 wooo! Part of the problem was I was never used to looking for loot all over the map so I would always go into the Day 3 end way understocked...well and using crappy tactics. Still it does give me the motivation now to finally beat the game and hope the I can actually try and clear my PS1 backlog.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Adam Prime said:
I think this looks way better on the PSP screen then it could possibly look on a HDTV screen blown up.

I agree the game play and mechanics of this game has really held the test of time. I wish more games employed this sort of battle system. Also agree about the setting. Aside from this... does Square have any present day settings.
TWEWY is present day. Can't think of any others.

I, too, repeat the sentiment on wanting another game with PE1's mechanics.

Asparagus

Currently in the hospital and Missing Perspective is burned into my brain. I can't stop humming it. Learned haste and was dissapointed I couldn't activate it outside of battles :(

Also, Play-Asia have a sale on right now so Euro folk can have $20 and $50 codes sent to them digitally for cheap.

Anybody having trouble playing this on PSP?

When I try and start the game I will see the Playstation logo, but once that fades, the screen stays black forever. I can still hit the home button to bring up that menu for switching discs, changing screen size, etc. (so the PSP isn't frozen) but the game just never goes past the black screen.

FYI, I'm trying to play on a launch PSP-1000 with up to date OFW.

BentMyWookiee said:

When I try and start the game I will see the Playstation logo, but once that fades, the screen stays black forever. I can still hit the home button to bring up that menu for switching discs, changing screen size, etc. (so the PSP isn't frozen) but the game just never goes past the black screen.

I got this issue, too. Had to delete the game from my PSP Go and then re-download and install it. Still noticed that there's a bit of time between the PS logo and when the game actually starts.

Speaking of starts, I'm slowly realizing how impatient of a gamer I've become. Firing up PE,all i want to do is to get right into the action. But, instead I have to plod through text, run around, and plot through more text. I still love this game, but man, I'm getting impatient in my old age...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
KoreanBarbecue said:
I got this issue, too. Had to delete the game from my PSP Go and then re-download and install it. Still noticed that there's a bit of time between the PS logo and when the game actually starts.

Speaking of starts, I'm slowly realizing how impatient of a gamer I've become. Firing up PE,all i want to do is to get right into the action. But, instead I have to plod through text, run around, and plot through more text. I still love this game, but man, I'm getting impatient in my old age...

You have to set the disc speed to Fast under the Home menu when it boots up... that helps out a lot but it's still slow as shit. You only have to set it once, and it'll save that setting.

I've put this game aside for Dissidia. I've played enough Dissidia in the past week to finish this game TWICE.

Has anyone picked up Third Birthday, is there even an OT? I'd love to hear some impressions on that.

duckroll

BentMyWookiee said:

I beat both PE1 and PE2 (JP versions, bought off the Asia PSN store) on my OFW PSP-1000 (JP launch unit) back in December. No problems at all. The only bug I ran into was that PE1 would sometimes not detect a memory card when trying to save, and I would have to try again, and the saves would display.

Just beat the game yesterday. I played it back in the 90's but ended up getting stuck on the final boss. I was too underpowered and I'm sure I didnt get the upgrade system like I do now. That wasnt a problem due to junk grinding and getting the ak 47 for the last boss this time around. Even with it it was challenging but nothing too daunting. I got the AK because I figured I would do the chrysler bldg, but I have other games to finish including my backlog so I doubt i'll be doing it any time soon. Overall I'm glad to put that ghost to rest.

Also end spoilers
Purple eyes wtf. I'm guessing because no one burnt up Ayas MTCH are now bonding with people which will inevitable usher in the new evolution of man. That being said, it does seem vaguely insiduous. Perhaps her MTCH are just lying in wait

LProtag

Oh man, I didn't even realize this was out yet! I'm still trudging through Xenogears and I have tons of schoolwork... perhaps this summer.

I remember my aunt had this game and watched her play it a bit, but I never got a chance to.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Hit Day 3 last night. Game has aged pretty well overall, outside of 1. graphics, 2. some environmental interaction issues (like in Day 2,
I thought I had cleared out the room with the burned body and the armor until I went back and searched for a few minutes and realized the zoo key was in there and I just hadn't lined up right before
), and 3. some interface issues (took me a minute or two to find out what I was supposed to do the first time the storage guy forced me to give him something so the armorer could give me a weapon).

Has anyone beaten the PS Classic version of this yet?

I'm on Day 5 and it asked me to switch to disc 2. So I select Disc 2 and the screen says "checking disc" and then tells me wrong disc. Then it just says "insert disc 2" again, but when I try and do the change disc option again, it is now grayed out and won't let me attempt to change the disc again. It also still says that I'm currently on disc 2 in the menu. So I'm pretty much stuck because of this and can't continue on. I have not had this problem with any other PS Classic games that require disc swapping.

Is anybody else having the same problem as me? If it matters, I'm on the 80gig PS3 from the MGS4 bundle.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
BentMyWookiee said:
Has anyone beaten the PS Classic version of this yet?

I'm on Day 5 and it asked me to switch to disc 2. So I select Disc 2 and the screen says "checking disc" and then tells me wrong disc. Then it just says "insert disc 2" again, but when I try and do the change disc option again, it is now grayed out and won't let me attempt to change the disc again. It also still says that I'm currently on disc 2 in the menu. So I'm pretty much stuck because of this and can't continue on. I have not had this problem with any other PS Classic games that require disc swapping.

Is anybody else having the same problem as me? If it matters, I'm on the 80gig PS3 from the MGS4 bundle.

Hmm haven't gotten there yet. Didn't the game let you save before disc change? I would start the game up new booting to Disc 2 and load your save.

Adam Prime said:
Hmm haven't gotten there yet. Didn't the game let you save before disc change? I would start the game up new booting to Disc 2 and load your save.
It doesn't prompt you to save when it does the disc swap, so I couldn't just save and the boot up in disc 2. But after trying a couple more times, the game finally swapped to disc 2 properly and I was able to continue playing. So I'm not really sure why I was having problems... maybe my PS3 is just starting to tire out.

I'm now on Day 6 and at what I believe to be the final boss (
The Ultimate Being
). The game hasn't been very difficult up to this point, but the
third form of the Ultimate Being
is giving me some trouble. I'm low on healing items and those damn attacks that put me at 1HP are annoying. I think that I just need to maneuver around the battlefield a little better next time and I should be able to take the boss out.

ULTROS!

Head's up: Parasite Eve 2 has been rated by ESRB so it might be coming soon.

I've decided to dive back into my EX Game in order to tackle the Chrysler Building.

Man-oh-man, it is tedious working through the dead ends to find the path. It takes me roughly 30-40 minutes to get through a 10-floor block, finding all the treasure rooms along the way.

After the first block, I decided to rip my PSone discs to my PC, and now I'm playing on ePSXe, which thankfully has both frame skip and save states. With my save file courtesy of my Dex Drive, it's been smooth sailing ever since (well, up to floor 41 anyways).

Time to join the crowd.

Here are my EX Round 2 stats, right at the steps of floor 77 of the Chrysler Building. Minerva is my decked out Cr-2 armor, but I couldn't think of a fancy name for my AK-47 (WonderShot crossed my mind, but the name doesn't fit).

Eve/Maya was pretty much a joke at this point.

helLD.png

EUd9w.png

ULTROS!

Time to bump the OT since II is out now in both regions. Will be updating the OP.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a strange problem with this game on my psp go...

I start the game and loaded my saved data (starting the third day) and I can´t move!!!

I tried all the control config and only the movement doesn´t work....

I have 6.60 pro b 10 fix-1 and that would be....

halp!

Top Bottom