• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PBS to air Video Game "Documentary"

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The Video Game Revolution

From Fad to Phenomenon
This is the story of how a whimsical invention of the 1960s helped spawn the computer industry as we know it. Video games have influenced the way children live and play, forever altered the entertainment industry, and even affected the way wars are fought. See how it all began and find out what it means for the future.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be airing on the "standard" airwaves here in Sacramento, if I understand their website. I wonder if this will be any good? Some PBS documentaries tend to be rather interesting.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Awesome, PBS usually has some really great documentaries. I'll be sure to watch this.

EDIT: I need to stop saying awesome.

Saturnman

Banned
PBS is the best channel in the US. It's a shame to see them beg for money, even from Canada. It's like the richest country in the world is asking for foreign aid.

Dyne

I wonder if it'll be as good as that Thumb Candy program they had in the UK. I downloaded that and I still watch it from time to time. Great history.

M3wThr33

Banned
Ralph Baer

Visionary inventor and creator of the first home video game. Baer says that at his age (82), he doesn't play video games anymore. He sent us this list from his 11-year-old grandson:

Best:

1. Tony Hawk's Underground
2. The Star Wars series
3. Kirby's Air Ride
4. Animal Crossing

Worst:

1. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Walker
2. Luigi's Mansion

XS+

Banned
Cool, I should expect a comprehesive and professional look on the subject, without rock n roll and neon in the background like what we usually see.

Last time I saw a serious documentary on video games was a few years ago on Japan TV, documenting the fall of Sega's console business/switch to 3rd-party (Depressing stuff to watch, a documentary about AIDS would have been more upbeat than that show). Before that I recall TLC doing a special on gaming back in the mid-90s. Maturely handled but inaccurate.

XS+ said:
Cool, I should expect a comprehesive and professional look on the subject, without rock n roll and neon in the background like what we usually see.

Last time I saw a serious documentary on video games was a few years ago on Japan TV, documenting the fall of Sega's console business/switch to 3rd-party (Depressing stuff to watch, a documentary about AIDS would have been more upbeat than that show). Before that I recall TLC doing a special on gaming back in the mid-90s. Maturely handled but inaccurate.

Wow, I'd love to see that Sega documentary.

BTW, wasn't there one on the Game Show Network not too long ago? It was hosted by Tony Hawk and I heard, despite some innacruacies here and there, it was pretty good overall.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
kcet.jpg

^ Whoo! Thanx for the heads up.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DavidDayton said:
Sadly, it doesn't seem to be airing on the "standard" airwaves here in Sacramento, if I understand their website. I wonder if this will be any good? Some PBS documentaries tend to be rather interesting.

Jeebus, I forgot you lived in Sacramento as well. There are a few of us on this board.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DavidDayton said:
Etiolate, Rick, yourself, me... who else is Sacramento based?
Indigo Alpha. Banned on old GA. to my knowledge he didn't come to Neo-GA. Can be found at OA mostly, though I haven't truged through that place in a while.

Op-Ivy used to live here as well but he is down in SoCal now (at least I think it was SoCal, I could be wrong)

So there is at least five...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
scola said:
Indigo Alpha. Banned on old GA. to my knowledge he didn't come to Neo-GA. Can be found at OA mostly, though I haven't truged through that place in a while.

Op-Ivy used to live here as well but he is down in SoCal now (at least I think it was SoCal, I could be wrong)

So there is at least five...

yup, socal for the fore seeable future... believe it or not, i miss ol' P-ville ;)

hgplayer1

ugh i went to the website and signed up for an email reminder......damn thing never came I dont know how much I missed already.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man, I have no clue why they aren't saying who any of these people are. Do they think the average viewer will just recognize Will Wright on sight? Okay, now they seem to be putting some names to these faces.

AirBrian

In the Dallas area, it's not on until tomorrow. So be sure to check your local listings if it's not on tonight.

golem

AniHawk said:
KCET = PBS? If so, I can't see the documentary since this California's Gold thing is on now.

apparently its only on kcet's hdtv channel for some reason? not sure when its airing on normal kcet

belgurdo

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
Best:

1. Tony Hawk's Underground
2. The Star Wars series
3. Kirby's Air Ride
4. Animal Crossing

Worst:

1. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Walker
2. Luigi's Mansion

60 HOURS IS NO JOKE!!!

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Wow, thye just showed this blind girl playing Pokemon on the Gameboy. She was able to bring up the pokedex, and then she was able to tell which Pokemon she was looking at. THe girl had a huge smile on her face, that's what makes games great.

KarishBHR

Im very glad someone is finally taking games seriously... this is really doing gaming justice. Its not something to laugh off with Jenna Jameson, it is serious!

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Some early quotes

Shigery Miyamoto said:
Many of my fans have cried at certain moments of my games

Jason Rubin said:
The art of making video games is the art of cheating. Cheating the player into thinking your doing more than your actually doing.

Peter Molyneux said:
...paying the price for your own pot-headed-ness

Top Bottom