• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Ugh, this is ridiculous. Man, I love the PCE but the hardware can be such a pain in my ass.
That's quite true, but every older system can have its issues. Just on the subject of batteries, Replacing that rechargeable cell battery in the Sega CD, or the Sega CD Backup RAM Cart's internal battery (it's a cell, but larger capacity than the 2032), won't be simple either since neither of those use a standard CR-2032, so finding tabbed ones to replace those with probably won't happen. At least there you don't have the "how do I re-attach that cover" problem, but the actual battery replacement itself would probably be just about as tricky.

Double-sided tape maybe?
Hmm, maybe. I wonder if it would last, though... it sounds like it's not too hard to pry the cover off, but getting it back on is much harder. That glue won't re-stick, you'll need to find some other way.

There's also the solution to replace the battery with a holder and get rid of the lid entirely. This way, the battery becomes easily replaceable (that's what I'm doing).

Or use a tabbed cr2032 instead of the cr2320. Tabbed cr2032 are fairly easy to find, so that's a solution.
Although the extra thickness might (or rather probably will) make it impossible to close the lid properly.
No lid, huh? Well, if you can fit a CR-2032 in the thing, or a battery holder, then that would definitely be nice... and the higher capacity of the 2032 would last longer, too. Given that many Tennokoe Bank cards seem to still be working with their original batteries (the one I have still is, for instance, though I'm sure some are dead), even longer would be pretty nice. Not being able to fit the lid back on afterwards WOULD be kind of annoying, though... maybe worth it, if you can cover it with something else or something?

Krelian

I could get a region modded Duo R for around $180. But the CD drive doesn't work properly. It reads some but not all CDs. Is it worth it? I was thinking maybe the CD drive could be repaired and it's already modded and I wouldn't have to import it from Japan.

Ban Puncher

Already gone.

Not even up for an hour.

PXYsbTT.gif

Oare

No lid, huh?

Well, in my case, the lid is technically still there; it's just attached with tape and sits on top of the holder.
Aesthetically speaking, it's definitely not the best option, but it does the job.

I've also seen people in Japan who flux new batteries with flux for stainless steel and solder the tabs directly onto those.
Like this guy for example:
http://pcerepair.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-11.html

I don't know if I'd do it though. I'm not educated enough to state the risks with any kind of certitude.

Edit: nope, soldering onto batteries = bad idea, period.

Well, in my case, the lid is technically still there; it's just attached with tape and sits on top of the holder.
Aesthetically speaking, it's definitely not the best option, but it does the job.

I've also seen people in Japan who flux new batteries with flux for stainless steel and solder the tabs directly onto those.
Like this guy for example:
http://pcerepair.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-11.html

I don't know if I'd do it though. I'm not educated enough to state the risks with any kind of certitude.

Yeah, I have heard that soldering onto batteries is not recommended... it can be bad for the batteries.

Teknoman

Thanks for the heads up on the new Exile. I didnt end up getting it from Gamequest, but it spurred me to check Amazon, and I got one for a little under the same price. Bonus that the mailman didnt beat up the box.

Bonk 3 JP version came in too, but got it without the manual. Original case with back cover though. So now I either find the manual or...find a way to print a cover.

baphomet

Recent scores Turbografx related. The console in front is the one i've been using. The other 2 i picked up for a whopping $12 each at the flea market this sunday. I've already RGB modded one of them, and will be doing the same to the other tomorrow. technically it's not just rgb as you could use a genesis 2 av cable in the jacks and it would work. The second picture is the one i modded today and will now be the one i keep. I really like how the light under the chip turned out. Don't mind how dirty they are. I haven't cleaned them at all since i got them.
Also got a Turbo Everdrive for a grand total of $30. Ended up making a trade with a guy on assembler looking for the Xecuter xbox front panels, and just so happened i knew where one was at for next to nothing. Trade worked out great and both of our items arrived to each other this morning. I haven't gotten to check it out much yet, but i know it'll be excellent.

These 2 extra RGB turbografx consoles are for sale so if you're interested just hit me up via pm.

Teknoman

I wish our flea markets had TG16 and PC engine stuff floating around...

Cant complain since there have still been some pretty good Nintendo/Sega stuff though.

Oare

Yeah, I have heard that soldering onto batteries is not recommended... it can be bad for the batteries.

I just stumbled upon this:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/140455-note-to-tinkerers-be-careful-soldering-to-batteries/

"More attempts to solder to the battery were failing, and I tried heating it even more. (...) Then, PFOOOF!!! - the battery exploded. (...) I was starting to think of other ways to get a battery onto this board when I looked over at my face mask on the bench. It's covered in molten solder drops."

So that's it, I guess. No soldering onto batteries.

I just stumbled upon this:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/140455-note-to-tinkerers-be-careful-soldering-to-batteries/

"More attempts to solder to the battery were failing, and I tried heating it even more. (...) Then, PFOOOF!!! - the battery exploded. (...) I was starting to think of other ways to get a battery onto this board when I looked over at my face mask on the bench. It's covered in molten solder drops."

So that's it, I guess. No soldering onto batteries.
If you can't find tabbed batteries that can fit in the Tennokoe Bank -- and I'm not sure if there are ones easily available loose that have pre-welded tabs and would fit (2320 or larger, if larger sizes could be fit in) -- then there's always the "wrap it with electrical tape" solution... not quite as sturdy, but hopefully it should hold up. Of course that requires getting the tabs off the old battery first, which I've heard can be a challenge...

Mzo

I'm just going to play games one at a time and my save files will eventually be lost...

Like tears in rain.

Oare

I'm just going to play games one at a time and my save files will eventually be lost...

Like tears in rain.

You could always get a Ten no Koe 2 or a Memory Base 128.
These both work on easily replaceable AA batteries and are readily available for around 20usd (here in Japan).

Edit for ref.:
Here are a couple of pictures of my Ten no Koe Bank with the holder.
Lid on:
lid_on43ufe.jpg

Lid off:
lid_off6hdt8.jpg

My copy of Final Soldier came in today, was happy to get it in such good condition for cheap. Wish I could find Soldier Blade for a decent price but that's just not happening. I also am hunting for Jackie Chan, Legend of Xanadu 2, and a few others.

Teknoman

I've seen Jackie for decent prices every so often, so definitely keep watch on newly listed stuff.

I'm going to put Exile on the backburner for a little. Not that its not great, its just a game you cant start playing on a whim. Got mauled by insects shortly after entering the first dungeon. Pretty cool storyline setup, soundtrack, and as always...best intro cinemas of the era.

Like tears in rain.
Just get a MB128 and remember to change the batteries once or twice a year. And get one of the games with a MB128 manager (see the bottom of my list on the first page). The MB128 is 128KB, 64 blocks, and has plenty of space. Getting files off of it can be kind of a pain since you need to put the right disc in, but the Tennokoe Bank requires putting a card in, so it's kind of similar. And a few games actually do support the MB128 natively, something not true for the Tennokoe Bank.

Specifically you need one of the games with a manager that lets you copy the system memory to a MB128 block. I have this through Emerald Dragon, but a half dozen more games have managers as well, as listed there near the bottom of my list. I'm not sure which one is best... each one is slightly different.

That sounds pretty cool. I'll look into it.
The only issue I have with the MB128 is that of course it uses the Japanese controller port, so I had to get a controller adapter since I have a TG16+CD, but I needed that adapter anyway for the 3-button and 6-button controllers, so oh well... it was necessary either way.

Ban Puncher

Got my DoujinDance DUO-R today. First thing I did was slap in Rondo of Blood and hook the RGB up to my Framemeister.

g3cdg.gif

Glorious.

My copy of Final Soldier came in today, was happy to get it in such good condition for cheap. Wish I could find Soldier Blade for a decent price but that's just not happening. I also am hunting for Jackie Chan, Legend of Xanadu 2, and a few others.

I'm still searching for Soldier Blade too :/
No sightings for less than 7000 Yen so far, when I see a copy in stores that is.

Krelian

I could get a region modded Duo R for around $180. But the CD drive doesn't work properly. It reads some but not all CDs. Is it worth it? I was thinking maybe the CD drive could be repaired and it's already modded and I wouldn't have to import it from Japan.
Welp, I bought it. Even though I wanted a normal PCE, an already modded Duo-R without the need to import was too good to pass. I just hope I can somehow get the CD drive to work fully again. It also includes two games: Street Fighter II JP and Keith Courage US.

Teknoman

Welp, I bought it. Even though I wanted a normal PCE, an already modded Duo-R without the need to import was too good to pass. I just hope I can somehow get the CD drive to work fully again. It also includes two games: Street Fighter II JP and Keith Courage US.

I assume the drive should be easy to fix with the right people.

IrishNinja

following Mzo's advice, i think i'm gonna ship this Duo-R off to Keith Courgae @ PCE, cause i'm outta ideas. hopefully he helps get it sorted.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I have a problem. I have PC Engine imports but I can't read moon language worth a crap so I don't really know what game is on my shelf until I pull the game out.

Is there any solution to this problem that doesn't involve putting some sort of sticker over the normal sticker? I'm really trying to avoid any solution that might damage the original label.

Dicer

Banned
So I have a problem. I have PC Engine imports but I can't read moon language worth a crap so I don't really know what game is on my shelf until I pull the game out.

Is there any solution to this problem that doesn't involve putting some sort of sticker over the normal sticker? I'm really trying to avoid any solution that might damage the original label.

Make a paper label and slide it between the plastic of the case and the label

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Make a paper label and slide it between the plastic of the case and the label

HuCard cases don't work like that. The label is on the outside of the case. They're not like standard jewel cases where there's a middle and a back plastic piece.

Dicer

Banned
HuCard cases don't work like that. The label is on the outside of the case. They're not like standard jewel cases where there's a middle and a back plastic piece.

You didn't specify, for those use a post it note, folded over the edge, easy to remove...

That's only true for earlier games. In about 1991 they switched over to CD jewelcases with a custom plastic insert inside that holds the plastic sleeve on those little hooks, as I described a bit earlier. But yeah, for the earlier titles the back is one solid piece of plastic, and you'd need a post-it note or taped on label or something.

Learn Katakana :p you'll be able to read 90% of the labels that way!

On a more serious note Post-it should do it, there are very few HuCard games that use full jewel cases, none of them are in my collection. Soldier Blade has one but I'm still searching for it ( ._.)

Teknoman

Chalk another one up for Exile. lol I never thought i'd be apprehensive about opening a sealed game. Just felt strange opening a new game from 1990 something.

D.Lo

I'm slimming down my collection dramatically, and it means my RGB PC Engine Duo and games are going.

I have a nearly complete Konami set on the console too. Will be sad to see it go. But when you haven't played something in 5 years...

Anyone interested? It's be great to sell outside of ebay, 10% fees these days!

Top Bottom