• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

d+pad

Most of the games cited are widely known.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Of course, it's not easy to come up with such a list these days, as the TG-16 games catalog is a pretty well known quantity at this point, as is the PCE catalog, for that matter.

Mzo

This guy said the Turbo Booster "gave it more RAM and gave it more memory" =/

If MJR asks you to talk about something on his show, wouldn't you look it up just a little if you're not clear on what things are?

Thanks to a friend of mine I now have these. He found them at Game Over Videogames up in DFW.
I hope he had some trade credit, they were charging way too much for those, even compared to eBay.

I almost picked up Ys IV and Dungeon Explorer II there months ago but held back.

THAT SAID, I just scored Dungeon Explorer I and II for $27 shipped, so patience rewarded me (for once).

I hope he had some trade credit, they were charging way too much for those, even compared to eBay.

I almost picked up Ys IV and Dungeon Explorer II there months ago but held back.

THAT SAID, I just scored Dungeon Explorer I and II for $27 shipped, so patience rewarded me (for once).

I didn't ask, they were a gift actually.

D.Lo

Just brought this Duo-R controller back to life with the old peroxide trick

pce1_zpsd944ed77.png

pce2_zpsb5575e05.jpeg

Azzurri

Man, Turbo Duo are expensive on Ebay and there only the Japanese version, is it region free?

Any other place I should look?

Mzo

CDs are region free, but you'll need either an adapter or a region mod to play the other region's HuCards or Turbochips.

Azzurri

CDs are region free, but you'll need either an adapter or a region mod to play the other region's HuCards or Turbochips.

What's my best bet to play both regions at a decent price?

They have us duo but they're pushing 600. The Japanese ones are around 200.

Would it be smart to buy a Japanese duo and the converter for 150? Also is the converter only used in us systems or is it able to play us games on Japanese systems?

Mzo

What's my best bet to play both regions at a decent price?

They have us duo but they're pushing 600. The Japanese ones are around 200.

Would it be smart to buy a Japanese duo and the converter for 150? Also is the converter only used in us systems or is it able to play us games on Japanese systems?

From what I've seen, most people tend to buy modded Japanese Duo Rs these days. That seems the best alternative with the added bonus of improved build quality over the US Duo's bad capacitor batch.

The region lock consists of two pin locations that are swapped on the cards, so you'd need either a specific US to J adapter or a J to US adapter, depending on the system you buy.

I don't know what's smart or not. I have my own set of weird rules for building a library that I don't stray from, and part of that includes buying US releases if they are available, which everyone will probably tell you is a bad idea if you're just getting into Turbo stuff.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Huge meh for Bonk 3. It's easily the worst of the Bonks and might actually be just a plain ol' bad game.

then what's the best Bonk game, then?

IrishNinja

i like Bonk 1, but man, 2 is like a world ahead of it

true story: year or two back, a kind gaffer gave me both! along with Alien Crush, Galaga & a few other TG16 games he had sitting in his garage. man, that guy was awesome.

Mzo

For gameplay? The first Bonk is the best.

Presentation alone? Bonk 2 looks nicer. If the bosses didn't suck B2 might have been the better game.

D.Lo

WOW. I'm surprised it even works on the shiny bits.
Ha, the before shot is actually the ebay photo, and you've just made me realise the seller tinted and desaturated the photo to make it look less yellow than it actually was (hence the purple becoming blue). It was sooooo yellowed.

What a sneaky bastard.

I just adjusted it myself to match the purple on my 'after' photo, here's a proper comparison now.

Bar81

Ha, the before shot is actually the ebay photo, and you've just made me realise the seller tinted and desaturated the photo to make it look less yellow than it actually was (hence the purple becoming blue). It was sooooo yellowed.

What a sneaky bastard.

I just adjusted it myself to match the purple on my 'after' photo, here's a proper comparison now.

So did you just dunk it all in one piece into the peroxide?

Azzurri

Depends on the price and if its been refurbished I guess?

Well, I've only seen them for around $500-600 CiB, of course used but in excellent condition.

SO I think I'm going to buy a Japanese Duo and get it modded for RGB and Region unlock.

If I use a Framemeister for my HDTV what Scart cables would I need to use? I've checked but I'm not sure which ones will work.

Mzo

Well, I've only seen them for around $500-600 CiB, of course used but in excellent condition.

SO I think I'm going to buy a Japanese Duo and get it modded for RGB and Region unlock.

If I use a Framemeister for my HDTV what Scart cables would I need to use? I've checked but I'm not sure which ones will work.

It depends on how the RGB mod is done. The best one I've seen puts out to the same little round cable as the one used by the 2nd revision Genesis/32X.

Mzo

That looks like it fits the original, massive Genesis/SMS/Turbo Duo cable.

These all have official names, I'm sure.

edit: you'd need something like this, the important part is that it's the J SCART standard and not the Euro one. Again, I'm eyeballing the plug here so don't trust me and ask the modder what it is to be sure.

Azzurri

That looks like it fits the original, massive Genesis/SMS/Turbo Duo cable.

These all have official names, I'm sure.

edit: you'd need something like this, the important part is that it's the J SCART standard and not the Euro one. Again, I'm eyeballing the plug here so don't trust me and ask the modder what it is to be sure.

Cool, I gave him a PM to see which one it is.

Awesome found a guy who does all the mods and very reputable and good prices.

Now all I need is to decide which Duo I want? US Duo or JP Duo non R. W

Why are US Duo's so much more money? Is it because they're are so few?

Yes Boss!

This is the mod.

That is the mod I did on my CoreGrafx. Super sturdy, stable. And very easy to de-solder the old connector. Like mentioned above it is a pretty standard cable after that. For example, my Sigma supergun and PCE cables are all interchangable. I think it is called mini-din or something.

Azzurri

Man, finding the right system is hard. On one hand I really want the US Duo since it's more of a collectors item, but it's more expensive. And I need to get it RGB modded, recapped, and region switch which is like an extra 160ish.

Just got accepted into PCenginefx, and it's really cool.

D.Lo

What is a everdrive?

Is a hucard with games on it?
It's a series of flash carts for classic systems made by a ukrainian guy. And there's a PC Engine one. It's pretty awesome, it has a reset button built-in, and can be used as a system card as well, so never has to leave the system (except for Arcade CDs).

Azzurri

It's a series of flash carts for classic systems made by a ukrainian guy. And there's a PC Engine one. It's pretty awesome, it has a reset button built-in, and can be used as a system card as well, so never has to leave the system (except for Arcade CDs).

Wow, that's awesome, will try and pick one up once I get my Turbo Duo

Mercutio

Would it be a dumb to buy an American Turbo Duo?

Given the capacitor issues, it's probably not a good idea. I love the design of the Duo, but the bad caps mean trouble down the road no matter what.

Plus a Turbo Duo is like twice as expensive as the superior PC Engine Duo R. I know all these things have been taken into account, but I'm just adding another voice to that consensus.

Azzurri

Given the capacitor issues, it's probably not a good idea. I love the design of the Duo, but the bad caps mean trouble down the road no matter what.

Plus a Turbo Duo is like twice as expensive as the superior PC Engine Duo R. I know all these things have been taken into account, but I'm just adding another voice to that consensus.

Yea, I have found a bunch of people who replace the caps which fixes the problem, but it they're still really expensive, haha

The collector in me just wants the US Turbo Duo since it's a collectors piece, but the prices are high.

I'm still going to buy a JP one so I can play the games, just deciding if I want the US to add to my retro collection.

Top Bottom