• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Samuray

I'm depressed. :(

Just missed a Sylphia for 150$ shipped on another forum today....damn.

If anyone wants to part with his copy for a not-outrageous price, contact me.

.....daaamn. That stings.

smbu2000

Not counting the two PCE Darius games that barely used the extra hardware (mainly no flickering sprites or slowdown when played on a SuperGrafx) there were only 5 truly dedicated games released which would only work on that console.

Launched with one game in late 1989:
- Battle Ace

Two more games in 1990:
- Granzort (a follow-up to Keith Courage in Alpha Zones)
- Daimakaimura (Ghouls 'N Ghosts)

And two more in 1991:
- Aldynes
- 1941: Counter Attack

By 1992 the console was dead, no more software, was well on its way to becoming a collectors item. Supposedly just 50,000 consoles were manufactured.

And we thought the Sega 32X bombed.
Oh, so I basically got the whole SuperGrafx collection (not including the Darius games) in one shot. Nice. I wasn't going to buy all of them, just Daimakaimura and 1941, but since there were only five (at 100 yen apiece) I just grabbed them all.

Now for the system...

I think most people like the MegaDrive version better, too. "Better music" is always what they say.

Looks like DoujinDance actually just put up a Super Grafx:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191275664100&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123
I still don't have a copy of the MegaDrive version (not counting my Wii VC version). It's not expensive, I just need to pick up a cart.

That SuperGrafx went pretty quickly.

I'm depressed. :(

Just missed a Sylphia for 150$ shipped on another forum today....damn.

If anyone wants to part with his copy for a not-outrageous price, contact me.

.....daaamn. That stings.
Ouch. I've been eying this one myself.

Pretty much every Compile PC-Engine game is pricey, it hurts my soul.

AmyS

Oh, so I basically got the whole SuperGrafx collection (not including the Darius games) in one shot. Nice. I wasn't going to buy all of them, just Daimakaimura and 1941, but since there were only five (at 100 yen apiece) I just grabbed them all.

Yep, you got the whole collection of dedicated SuperGrafx games, congrats.

D.Lo

So now I have an RGB Duo RX.

It's pretty nice, good to have the AV plug come out the back not side, and it uses a Mega Drive 2 power supply instead of a huge chunky weird 12V one. And I know it will be more reliable long term.

But I miss my dead Duo's more 'industrial' look.

Also my pad doesn't match the system - anyone want to swap a grey 2-button for a white one?

Ban Puncher

Who needs a second controller? I do so I finally got myself a 5 player multitap plus Bomberman '93. Copy of Genpei Toumaden also came along for the ride.

IrishNinja

geez, watched that Sylphian or whatever sell, didn't know it was a good price...i love Compile but no way

is $20 good for CIB Legendary Axe in this dark age of retro bubbles?

My friend offered me to buy his PC Engine collection. What do you guys think would be a fair price for the lot?

It contains the original white PC Engine, a CD-ROM² unit and the CD-ROM² Interface unit, a Super CD-ROM² Unit, an (CIB, box not pictured) Arcade Card Pro, a multitap and 3 controllers (one of which is sealed). Also comes with the necessary cables and adapters. I already have a voltage converter, so that's not an issue.

It comes with the following games (most of them complete, except maybe for the "obi"/spine cards):
- HuCard: Image Fight, Dragon Spirit, Spin Pair, Bomberman '94, Don Doko Don, Street Fighter II Champion Edition, Veigues Tactical Gladiator, Detana!! TwinBee, Bubblegum Crash, Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru (= Keith Courage in Alpha Zones), Fighting Run
- CD-ROM²: Cyber City Oedo 808 - Kemono no Sokusei, Space Adventure Cobra II - Densetsu no Otoko
- Super CD-ROM²: Sotsugyou 2: Neo Generation, Snatcher, Shin Megami Tensei

C8utyHv.jpg

4gl9WiZ.jpg

syphic

Neo Member
My friend offered me to buy his PC Engine collection. What do you guys think would be a fair price for the lot?

It contains the original white PC Engine, a CD-ROM² unit and the CD-ROM² Interface unit, a Super CD-ROM² Unit, an (CIB, box not pictured) Arcade Card Pro, a multitap and 3 controllers (one of which is sealed). Also comes with the necessary cables and adapters. I already have a voltage converter, so that's not an issue.

It comes with the following games (most of them complete, except maybe for the "obi"/spine cards):
- HuCard: Image Fight, Dragon Spirit, Spin Pair, Bomberman '94, Don Doko Don, Street Fighter II Champion Edition, Veigues Tactical Gladiator, Detana!! TwinBee, Bubblegum Crash, Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru (= Keith Courage in Alpha Zones), Fighting Run
- CD-ROM²: Cyber City Oedo 808 - Kemono no Sokusei, Space Adventure Cobra II - Densetsu no Otoko

$400/450 maybe?

Ahhh, that Hori Fighting Commander! Been waiting for one to be listed on eBay, but no such luck

EDIT: Is there much of a reason to have a six button pad? It seems like a three button pad is nice to have for the games that use the run button as a button. But doesn't seem like much of a use for six buttons.

antibolo

Banned
Ahhh, that Hori Fighting Commander! Been waiting for one to be listed on eBay, but no such luck

EDIT: Is there much of a reason to have a six button pad? It seems like a three button pad is nice to have for the games that use the run button as a button. But doesn't seem like much of a use for six buttons.

6 button pad is pointless if you don't actually own any games that support it.

3 button pad is useful because it's just a hardware thing. It's great for games that bind an action to either Select or Run. It basically allows you to simulate a Genesis controller layout.

BOTEC

How long is that cable on the HORI Fighting Commander PC pad? I have one, but my cable is white, and I'm not even kidding it's like a foot and a half long.

How the fuck do you guys collect for this thing, The console prices for a Duo are in the 300-400 range and even if you do get a PC-ENGINE that CD-ROM2 attachment is 300 dollars too and then you have to juggle all these upgrade cards like some sort of circus clown, I just can't wrap my head around buying this system given it's the same collectors price as say a Neo-Geo CDZ or a Special Edition Sega Saturn.

Convince me, I'm listening.

D.Lo

How the fuck do you guys collect for this thing, The console prices for a Duo are in the 300-400 range and even if you do get a PC-ENGINE that CD-ROM2 attachment is 300 dollars too and then you have to juggle all these upgrade cards like some sort of circus clown, I just can't wrap my head around buying this system given it's the same collectors price as say a Neo-Geo CDZ or a Special Edition Sega Saturn.

You could easily get a Duo delivered for $300. Even an RGB modded one if you're lucky.

However, yes the games are expensive, it's one of the most expensive consoles to collect for. I only have about 10 games, because everything good is quite expensive.

For me, it makes me appreciate the small collection I have. I've played though Dracula X dozens of times.

Bar81

LOL. Wow, a lot of misconception. For the most part, unless you need to buy Arcade card games (of which there are only a handful and none of which are top tier games - even the much overhyped Sapphire), a JP Duo will be just fine and let you play every game out there. As long as you stick to the JP side you should be fine as most games are still cheap outside of particular rare titles (but even those rare titles are still way cheaper than rare domestic games on the Turbo, SNES, Genny, etc.). It's really an amazing system that just doesn't get any love because NEC America/TTI were idiots and it was aborted in Europe. If you like shmups and action games, it's madness not to own a PCE.

Teknoman

Get a good, cheap, recapped PC engine Duo and then just play JP versions of stuff on hucard or disc. The CDs are region free, so you can get NA / EU cd releases if you want, but only if you couldnt play due to language barrier or it was cost effective.

Tldr: Just snag a refurb jp duo and go nuts.
No extra cards needed unless you really want arcade, and even then, the best games dont require it.

Buy from retrocentric fan forums too, the PC engine looks excellent RGB, but it actually still looks nice composite.

How long is that cable on the HORI Fighting Commander PC pad? I have one, but my cable is white, and I'm not even kidding it's like a foot and a half long.

It's around 110cm, not sure how many inches/feet that is. (sorry, we measure in meters in this part of the world. :))

You could easily get a Duo delivered for $300. Even an RGB modded one if you're lucky.

However, yes the games are expensive, it's one of the most expensive consoles to collect for. I only have about 10 games, because everything good is quite expensive.

For me, it makes me appreciate the small collection I have. I've played though Dracula X dozens of times.

What?

There are so many cheap PC Engine games out there. :)
Sure, several of the top tier games are expensive, but you get that on every system.
But I think in general it's a lot cheaper than SNES/SFC and even Mega Drive/Genesis.

Celine

I've paid my Duo-R 155 euro (shipped).
With the Duo (and variations) you don't need to worry about cards because with the exception of a few games for the Arcade card and Alter Beast everything will run.

Games vary greatly in prices obviously, most of the better shooter are expensive though.

EDIT:
Of course I'm talking about japanese console/games, CD games are region free.

For the most part, unless you need to buy Arcade card games (of which there are only a handful and none of which are top tier games - even the much overhyped Sapphire)
Arcade Card format have the "top tier" fighting vs games on PCE.

D.Lo

What?

There are so many cheap PC Engine games out there. :)
Sure, several of the top tier games are expensive, but you get that on every system.
But I think in general it's a lot cheaper than SNES/SFC and even Mega Drive/Genesis.
Assuming you're talking Japan for PCE and USA/PAL for the others or something?

Fami/Super Fami and Mega Drive J are all cheaper than PCE in my experience. Sure you can get some visual novels or primitive RPGs or whatever for cheap, but any good shooter is expensive.

Compare that to Super Fami, where you can get the top games, like Konami action games, all top Square and Enix games etc for five bucks each. In box for $20. Compare direct equivalents like Gradius II to III for example, $50+ to $10 (or as low as $1 if cart only).

I've found getting good titles to be more expensive on PCE. Which makes perfect sense anyway, because even in Japan it is more obscure (than SNES), thus games are more rare.

Celine

Compare that to Super Fami, where you can get the top games, like Konami action games, all top Square and Enix games etc for five bucks each. In box for $20. Compare direct equivalents like Gradius II to III for example, $50+ to $10 (or as low as $1 if cart only).
Top of the line RPG for PCE Duo can be had CIB for roughly $15 and under (Tengai Makyou 2 & Funn Maki, Gulliver Boy, Emerald Dragon, Legend of Xanadu 1 & 2, YS 1/2 & 3 & 4).
Actually auction for many of those will end up at 1 - 4 dollars CIB.
Seiya Monogatari should be found for slightly more.

Availability for PCE is inferior to SuperFami obviously however demand is also lower and it is easier to find CIB thanks to the plastic case.

That said shooter games on PCE are definitely expensive.

Bar81

Arcade Card format have the "top tier" fighting vs games on PCE.

I wouldn't use the phrase top tier to describe any of those games. If you are going to downgrade the phrase that much then Sapphire is a top tier shooter as well, but it's not. Arcade card doesn't have anything essential/elite.

Celine

I wouldn't use the phrase top tier to describe any of those games. If you are going to downgrade the phrase that much then Sapphire is a top tier shooter as well, but it's not. Arcade card doesn't have anything essential/elite.
There are better shooter than Sapphire on PCE.
Some of the best fighting vs games on PCE on the other hand require the arcade card.
Sure most of them are ports from arcade/Neo Geo but that was a common practice at the time.

What I meant is in the contest of PCE library Arcade Card games are more notable for being the core of the good fighting vs games.

So I think decided on this pad:
$_1.JPG

Any opinions? I wanted something with a better d-pad and this seems like the ticket. I have a SNES Hori Fighting Commander and I didn't like the feel of that in my hands. Plus, six buttons on PC Engine doesn't sound like it comes into play too often. I like having the third button though for the games that used the run button.

Assuming you're talking Japan for PCE and USA/PAL for the others or something?

Fami/Super Fami and Mega Drive J are all cheaper than PCE in my experience. Sure you can get some visual novels or primitive RPGs or whatever for cheap, but any good shooter is expensive.

I've found getting good titles to be more expensive on PCE. Which makes perfect sense anyway, because even in Japan it is more obscure (than SNES), thus games are more rare.

Well, since I just recently got my own PCE, I found the games to be considerably cheaper than my other retro systems. But you're right that especially a good deal of shooters are expensive.

But my friend in Japan just yesterday bought me the following games (all CIB):
- Dragon Saber for 1157 yen (US$11.2)
- Gradius for 1204 yen (US$11.7)
- Gradius II: Gopher no Yabou for 2600 yen (US$25)
- Salamander for 1500 yen (US$ 14.6)
- Kyuukyoku Tiger for 1317 yen (US$12.8)

I don't consider that expensive. Salamander for the S FC is a lot more expensive CIB iirc.

Edit: thanks for pointing that out, sixteen-bit. Salamander on FC is still more expensive than on PCE though. :)

D.Lo

I just did a sold items check and Salamander is certainly not cheaper on PCE than Famicom - cart only it's far cheaper on fami and even boxed it's generally $10-20 cheaper.

Eh, I guess I'm just looking at the top action games. Everything I want is expensive.
I have the complete Konami set, and a few shooters. But I just can't justify $100 each for many of the other games I want, they're just not quite worth it, compared to what $100 gets me on Fami/Super Fami.

I just did a sold items check and Salamander is certainly not cheaper on PCE than Famicom - cart only it's far cheaper on fami and even boxed it's generally $10-20 cheaper.

Eh, I guess I'm just looking at the top action games. Everything I want is expensive.
I have the complete Konami set, and a few shooters. But I just can't justify $100 each for many of the other games I want, they're just not quite worth it, compared to what $100 gets me on Fami/Super Fami.

You mean 'on eBay'? I thought you were talking about prices in Japan originally.

Mercutio

But what about that terrible port of Strider? We can't forget that fucking terrible port of Strider.

That SuperGrafx went pretty quickly.

Yeah, seems like everything of his goes fast now. For a while, the Super Grafx systems seemed to languish for a few days.

Celine

Eh, I guess I'm just looking at the top action games.
Shubibinman. 3 is good fun if easy and cheap.
Also (japanese) Legendary Axe is a must but I think you already know that :)
Last alert is also a cult (dat guy kazama) game which price is on the low end.
Also Pomping World.

D.Lo

You mean 'on eBay'? I thought you were talking about prices in Japan originally.
Yeah only ebay, I have no idea about actual Japan prices ;)

Shubibinman. 3 is good fun if easy and cheap.
Also (japanese) Legendary Axe is a must but I think you already know that :)
Last alert is also a cult (dat guy kazama) game which price is on the low end.
Also Pomping World.
Thanks for suggestions, I'll check them out.

Top Bottom