• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

damn, soldier blade is expensive

is it the best star soldier game?

* checks eBay prices *

Oh wow, $100 eh... eBay prices are terribly inflated, it seems. The game's more like $60 in Japan. Guess I should pick some of those games up sooner than later, because eventually prices will probably follow the eBay flow.

Teknoman

You know what would be awesome? If some of GAF based in japan could pick up games for us not so fortunate, and then we pay them the price + shipping.

You know what would be awesome? If some of GAF based in japan could pick up games for us not so fortunate, and then we pay them the price + shipping.

That would be a lot of time and work for GAF praise, if someone was going to do that they might as well make an ebay store.

Dicer

Banned
Just got Atlantean, gonna pimp it as it deserves attention and is blast.

http://www.aetherbyte.com/aetherbyte-atlantean_for_pc-engine_and_turbografx-16.html

Video

1940023_698332586908354_2247329195135266436_n.jpg

Meesh

Dear Turbo Grafx gaf, I used to have a Turbo when I was a teenybopper, sadly it got lost is one of our moves...where do I start on a limited budget and less understanding significant other.

Yours truly, pathetically nostalgic 36 year old gamer. :(

Bar81

But what about that terrible port of Strider? We can't forget that fucking terrible port of Strider.

Don't even get me started on that brother.

I'm a HUGE Strider fan - have the US PCB (love the cheesy dialogue), have both the Genny and MD versions (love the MD art), have PSX Strider, have the PS3 LE (even though I don't have a PS3), have both prints of the OST and the Strider 2 OST.

Having said that, I just can't with the PCE version. It would have been bad enough if it was just a shitty regular release that was butchered beyond sanity like Golden Axe, but no, they had to, just to spit in the eye of Strider fans, make it an Arcade CD release. It's so atrocious that the only thing I can think is that someone was just fucking with NEC to see if they could make pure shit and still get it approved for release (and Capcom, I know you couldn't give less of a shit about the PCE and the MD compared to your beloved SFC, but screw you too for permitting this rancid garbage to be spewed unto humanity). Then again, given the multitude of utter tripe on the PCE, I guess that isn't that much of a accomplishment. This ranks up there with the Punisher port on the Genny (another Capcom special of fetid refuse) as one of the most inexcusable half-assed attempts at a conversion I've ever seen and whoever is responsible for it should be forced to play PCE Strider for all eternity as his punishment in damnation.

Feels good to have gotten that off my chest, as it's been simmering for a few days since you posted :)

Mercutio

Any point in getting SF2' these days?

Are you into having fun oddities in your collection? Then yes, totally. The cart is kind of funky and fat, there's interesting history behind it, and it's a fairly good port, provided you have a six button thing to play it with. It's also got a nice double jewelcase.

If you just want the best version of that particular game? F no.

Mzo

See, opinions can definitely be wrong when they're based on ignorance!

Even mine!

PS - Air Zonk still kind of sucks and Bravoman definitely does!

Mercutio

See, opinions can definitely be wrong when they're based on ignorance!

Even mine!

PS - Air Zonk still kind of stucks and Bravoman definitely does!

The things you said in 2005 about Dracula X: Rondo of Blood are a crime and I hope someday justice finds you.

IrishNinja

aw mannn i should've kept that private, it's just a gem though and honestly i said way more ignorant shit in the past for sure

Air Zonk's a perfect example, me & my buddy hated that shit at first cause we didn't know it was a SHMUP and wanted an action platformer! i can totally appreciate it now

I get a lot of enjoyment from PCE Strider! Those cutscenes are rad.

they are, and the extra level is kinda cool too

Air Zonk's a perfect example, me & my buddy hated that shit at first cause we didn't know it was a SHMUP and wanted an action platformer! i can totally appreciate it now
There were so many shmups on the system at that point, it is a little odd that thye decided that the Bonk series needed to become a shooter too... I mean, it worked, and the game's considered to be quite good (the first one, that is; the second one on CD is not), but the TG16 and CD are already the best shmup platform of their generation, while in platformers the system lags behind... ah well. Nothing wrong with more good shmups.

they are, and the extra level is kinda cool too
I've never particularly liked Strider on any platform, so I doubt I'd like it any more on Turbo CD...

IrishNinja

see saying something like i don't like strider even in 2014 is the kinda thing people quote you on in 2024 and it's embarrassing you know

IrishNinja

falcons you have repeatedly gone on record saying you believe N64 >>> PS1 & Saturn, so to be fair when the revolution starts you'll have much worse crimes to answer for i suppose

I still need an Arcade Card Pro... stupid things are pricey and hard to find. :(

falcons you have repeatedly gone on record saying you believe N64 >>> PS1 & Saturn, so to be fair when the revolution starts you'll have much worse crimes to answer for i suppose

If you dislike the N64 it's you who will have to answer for that, not me! :)

Ryan_IGN

Just checked out the OP for this thread and it seems the 25th anniversary of the North American release of this console I loved so much (Ys Book I & II, Gates/Lords of Thunder, Bonk, Dungeon Explorer, etc.) is coming up this Friday. Wow does that make me feel old, considering that I remember being an excited kid ready to trade up from my NES for this.

Toad.T

Banned
Was there any Bonk merch released? I only found some press promo buttons one time, but I know there's more stuff somewhere. (One site had photos of plushies.)

Teknoman

Just checked out the OP for this thread and it seems the 25th anniversary of the North American release of this console I loved so much (Ys Book I & II, Gates/Lords of Thunder, Bonk, Dungeon Explorer, etc.) is coming up this Friday. Wow does that make me feel old, considering that I remember being an excited kid ready to trade up from my NES for this.

^wait, for real? we should celebrate that! bonk, ys, gates of thunder etc should get a thread!

Happy anniversary TG16!

iZvEzC2PRLWj2.gif

These collecting threads have kind of supplanted other threads about these systems... no way would a TG16 anniversary thread get four pages like my 20th anniversary thread did in '09, I bet: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372693

I have also noticed how my N64 'game opinion summaries' (well, 'short reviews', but the same idea) thread went five pages, from before these threads were around, while now I'm lucky to get to page two. Same cause I think.

Teknoman

Metal Jesus Rock: TG16 gems part 1

Get ready for those price hikes!

lol but seriously, gem videos are always two edge swords. You may find out about new games or games that you thought werent good, but actually turned out better...but then there is the chance that all versions go up in price.

Is Bloody Wolf actually co-op? I have the game but dont have a turbo tap.

Top Bottom